Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
davidof wrote:
KenX wrote:
Maybe something simple like Speed Turns, ah, not new/sexy enough.......

The people in this thread certainly make ski touring very complicated.

This. Minimalistic perfection.
Best binding dynafit ever designed.
Cheap (£180), light (330g), reliable.
For a dedicated touring ski it is the obvious choice.

Duke PT and Shifts are great for a 50:50 ski that will be used in resort but unnecessarily heavy (800g) for pure touring set up. That extra weight better used on ski that will perform on way down.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haggis_Trap wrote:
davidof wrote:
KenX wrote:
Maybe something simple like Speed Turns, ah, not new/sexy enough.......

The people in this thread certainly make ski touring very complicated.

This. Minimalistic perfection.
Best binding dynafit ever designed.
Cheap (£180), light (330g), reliable.
For a dedicated touring ski it is the obvious choice.

Duke PT and Shifts are great for a 50:50 ski that will be used in resort but unnecessarily heavy (800g) for pure touring set up. That extra weight better used on ski that will perform on way down.

Usually we are not skinning up 1700m to reach the more interesting freeride descents so the Duke PT sounds perfect to replace Griffon on my Freeride skis as a solid alpine binding with added touring option.

The Kaestle / « new » Xenic setup was for the PdG / longer tours. If the skis will stay on my feet it will be a good setup as it’s super light on the up, and also good on the down with good blend of stiff and light for easy jump turns and bush whacking / long pole outs with enough rocker if there’s some powder.

In other news, it looks like 2nd May weekend is on for some touring action!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, "In other news, it looks like 2nd May weekend is on for some touring action!" that's great news looking forward to seeing some great pics , have fun snowHead

ive just had my June Svalbard trip officially cancelled and the conditions in the frozen north are all time this year , but plans are already laid for next year , or even South America this year if things improve travel wise , anyways keep this thread live as all the covid 19 ones are becoming tooo much
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like the snow is finally coming back. Will it be cold enough and will there be enough viz (on Sunday?) to enjoy it before it melts...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well there was certainly lots of snow!

Trying out the Faction Agent 3.0 in an eerily quiet Verbier

Over 1m up on Mont Gelé but super heavy

Sheltering in my igloo for the afternoon shower

Skiing down through it was a wet thigh burner!

http://youtube.com/v/BdFQDVg4Hl0
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There were other lines on it already?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mooney058 wrote:
There were other lines on it already?

Yes 2nd half of video is the M25 past Carlsberg. At least 10 people had already been up to Attelas - i didn’t set off u til 10am and would say it was very quiet for Verbier given the fresh snow. I was the only one who headed right up the lower part of the Mont Gele face. Quite a lot of snow up there so stopped before the steeper upper section
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sad news from Arolla. Some young lads caught...
https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/articles/valais/canton/arolla-un-valaisan-de-20-ans-decede-dans-une-avalanche-935900
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And it starts again, complete with more equipment failure and stacks...

http://youtube.com/v/UmrN1TR_Hv4
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, Great to be out so early Very Happy
What have you broken this time?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
KenX wrote:

No breakages and the locking mechanism now seems to work perfectly but the brakes kept engaging, despite my best efforts to clean all the snow out from under them when locking them up in tour mode. Didn’t have this problem before?!?!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KenX wrote:

But yes it was great to be out, if I did leave it a couple of hours too late and snow was starting to get heavy

http://youtube.com/v/GiSZ--1QVCY
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH,
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, presume the Xenics brakes staying stuck?

Just put some lube on them and give them a workout.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
@BobinCH, presume the Xenics brakes staying stuck?

Just put some lube on them and give them a workout.

Not stuck, keep unlocking while in tour mode. Whatever the mechanism is to keep them locked seems to have stopped working on both bindings. I must have had to reset them at least 20 times...
snow conditions
Check that the brake levers are properly (fully) installed on the heels. Also check the binding length adjustment.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, aahhh ok I had this too!

Do this by hand as opposed to stamping on the brake pad itself hoping that they'll engage lock, (so as you put your skins on), push down on the brake lever pad and push it back towards the heel and you'll hear/see it engage and lock.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@BobinCH, aahhh ok I had this too!

Do this by hand as opposed to stamping on the brake pad itself hoping that they'll engage lock, (so as you put your skins on), push down on the brake lever pad and push it back towards the heel and you'll hear/see it engage and lock.

Yep I did this each time but it kept unlocking...
snow report
@BobinCH, aaaahhhh you got me there then, maybe back to the shop!
snow report
Finally sussed out the brakes... I needed to pull back the metal part so that it locked properly! Bit of a faff but finally nailed a ski tour with no equipment issues Very Happy

Mont Gelé looked good for some hop, skip and jump

Cover a bit sketchy but looks good up high after the October dumps

Snow was pretty solid and perfect viz so relatively easy to dodge the rocks

Enjoying it while we can...
snow report
Next gen Wally!

Stick to the North facing slopes!

Sent him down first - good Shark bait

Finished with some sunset piste bashing
snow report
@BobinCH, looks nice snowHead

skier in pic 2 has a “toilet” habit?
snow conditions
This was exactly a year ago Crying or Very sad

It's worth watching and listening to, if only to hear @KenX's comment at the end Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/dtb-br3bAYM
snow report
Night skiing at 1000m. Started well as I found the headlamp charger...

But the farmers got me!

http://youtube.com/v/yaE5eRvqeXU
snow conditions
Got a local night touring crew going. Did the 500m vert up to Les Paccots yesterday. It was ace. New head torch on order Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/qFHrwBZji3k
latest report
Nice, which head torch are you going for?
latest report
DB wrote:
Nice, which head torch are you going for?

Petzl Swift RL. Advertised as 900 Lumens but the packaging says that’s only in « Reactive » mode but that you should use standard mode for skiing where Max power is 550 lumens? Anyway it’ll surely be better than my 10 year old one which ran out of battery after a few minutes descending in max power mode...

https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s3/product/petzl-swift-rl-900lm-headlamps-11946770?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0qu6lKy-7QIVELh3Ch3HowJ6EAUYAyABEgLWa_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
ski holidays
A great headtorch that.

https://headlamps101.com/petzl-nao-plus-vs-swift-rl-headlamps/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
A great headtorch that.

Sure is. Light and powerful!
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
DB wrote:
A great headtorch that.

Ordered mine yesterday, should be here tomorrow.

Was thinking of going for a Lupine setup that I could also use on the mountainbike. That would have been 3 to 4 times the price though, I also didn't like the battery pack being separate and there being a cable inbetween which can catch on trees etc. After the Schumacher accident I don't llike sticking mounts on helmets either. The Swift rl on my head with a high power CRE hand torch (2000+ Lumens) mounted on the handle bars should be enough and a fair cheaper option for the MTB.
My current headlamp is only 220 Lumens so the Swift should brighten my life up a little bit. Can't wait for the afterwork ski tours at the local resorts to get going again after Xmas.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
DB wrote:
A great headtorch that.

Ordered mine yesterday, should be here tomorrow.

Was thinking of going for a Lupine setup that I could also use on the mountainbike. That would have been 3 to 4 times the price though, I also didn't like the battery pack being separate and there being a cable inbetween which can catch on trees etc. After the Schumacher accident I don't llike sticking mounts on helmets either. The Swift rl on my head with a high power CRE hand torch (2000+ Lumens) mounted on the handle bars should be enough and a fair cheaper option for the MTB.
My current headlamp is only 220 Lumens so the Swift should brighten my life up a little bit. Can't wait for the afterwork ski tours at the local resorts to get going again after Xmas.

A colleague just got the Lupine 2200 Lumen bike light and raves about it but 500 euros is a lot for a light!
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
A colleague just got the Lupine 2200 Lumen bike light and raves about it but 500 euros is a lot for a light!

Tell him you see his 2200 Lumen and raise him 6500. wink

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/accessories/lights/front-light/magicshine-monteer-6500-light-review/

or 8000 Shocked

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/accessories/lights/front-light/magicshine-monteer-8000s-front-light-review/
latest report
@DB, i could start selling floodlight passes with that 2nd one!!!
snow report
Quote:
500 euros is a lot for a light!

It is when you can buy 8000 lumens direct from China for under a tenner wink

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203156605583

There are loads to pick from.

It's amazing how these lights have developed. I bought a 1600 lumens (which was very high power at the time) bike light 7 or 8 years ago from China. It was under £30, versus around £200 in the UK.

It has performed perfectly since and is bright enough to completely illuminate woodland and moorland trails in pitch darkness.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:

That's not very Swiss though.

My car main beams are 10800 lumens (I think that is 5400 lumens per side) and they need fan cooling to stop them melting.
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:

got an older version of that light...
its like a car headlamp. absolutely nuts
need to dip on the road to ensure I dont dazzle drivers coming other way.
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
500 euros is a lot for a light!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203156605583

There are loads to pick from.

It's amazing how these lights have developed. I bought a 1600 lumens (which was very high power at the time) bike light 7 or 8 years ago from China. It was under £30, versus around £200 in the UK.

It has performed perfectly since and is bright enough to completely illuminate woodland and moorland trails in pitch darkness.

Where’s the battery?
snow conditions
@BobinCH, is it not cunningly disguised as a full size USB plug?

Oh.

Oh well, that’s a shame.
ski holidays
There’s this 5000LM one with what looks like an integrated battery as it says it’s rechargeable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5000-Lumen-8-4V-Rechargeable-Cycling-Light-Bicycle-Bike-LED-Front-Rear-Lamp-Set/124215117098?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225082%26meid%3Dddfeee7bb14b4de8ad5b0212792563fc%26pid%3D100935%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dsb%26sd%3D203156605583%26itm%3D124215117098%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2332490%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&_trksid=p2332490.c100935.m2460

But the 8000LM one looks like it needs a standalone USB battery pack which isn’t very practical for a bike light
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, @Haggis_Trap, It sounds like you have been lucky with your lights. Everyone I know who has bought Chinese high power bike lights have had multiple failures. But then again, at the price they are disposable items, since they don’t cost that much more than a box of disposable quality lithium AA batteries.

I went with Exposure lights, yes they are expensive (probably less than Lupine though), but you get what you pay for, and the reflex/ reactive modes detect how you are riding to automatically extend battery life by lowering the power output when you don’t need it. The rear light also acts as a brake light using accelerometers to detect when you are braking.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy