Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
PowderAdict wrote:
Some said it shouldn't have been done, others complained about colour coordination, but here is the proof that you can tour on a 192cm, 138mm waist full rocker ski mounted with Shifts NehNeh .

Hope you had some bricks in your pack just to add even more weight to your setup Laughing

As the anthesis to the above set-up, yesterday I "tested" some Movement 2020/21 all singing all dancing 100mm touring skis, extremely light mounted with Marker pins, it was a Movement Test day from a local shop.

The only issue was that the snow-pack was really bad, so not fair to comment too much about them, but I'm pretty sure my 105 SuperGuide tips would not have been flapping around like the Movement tips were?

I only did one run and took them back as by then it was pretty dire, I may well be skiing them (and others) again in March so will be interesting to see if they're any better?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scarlet, yep, €66 instead of €106. This thread isn't the place for it, but info here: https://www.asfinag.at/toll/route-and-digital-section-toll/route-rates I think as long as you have an annual vignette there should be a way to get the discount, but may need to mention it as you buy. Can't remember now but I think I've always just shown the peeled off back of the vingnette sticker...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
Hope you had some bricks in your pack just to add even more weight to your setup Laughing

Of course it's not my serious touring setup, which is around 1kg lighter per foot. This was just a case of touring up 200m to get over a ridge line into the next 'valley'. The snow on the way down was well worth effort to have those skis, rather than my 100mm underfoot comparative 'noodles' Toofy Grin

Despite their size, the 192cm DPS Powderworks Lotus 138's 'only' weigh 1980gm per ski. I first toured on 2012 Line Sir Frances Bacon's with Marker Barons, which make this setup feel featherweight Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
2kg per ski is perfectly doable for an hour or two with reasonably light (Tecton) bindings...not so much with Dukes!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bl00dy Xenics... couldn’t lock it. And then it wouldn’t release. Broke the plastic lever at the front trying to get it off. Useless binding....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH,

Looks like you‘re not the only one.
My commiserations, in 2011 I bought one of the first Dynafit radicals and had problems with them. Really annoying and instead of enjoying the ski tours I was wondering if the binding was going to break. One eventually exploded years later. Hope it gets sorted quick.

Looks to be some sort of tolerance problem. Link in German.

https://www.gipfeltreffen.at/forum/gipfeltreffen/alpine-sicherheit-risikomanagement-rechtliches-ausr%C3%BCstung-training-bergwetter-alpinmedizin/ausr%C3%BCstung/2435959-fritschi-xenic-10-probleme

There‘s a response from Fritschi in the thread where they say to open and shut the binding 20 to 30 times with the boot in the binding until it is easier. Once this works then do the same again with a cloth under the shoe to simulate snow/ice under the binding. According to the thread I linked to fritschi know there is a problem and are working on a solution.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DB, many thanks for that!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’ll tell Weathercam to be careful Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KenX wrote:
I’ll tell Weathercam to be careful Shocked
he seems to be more adept than me with these fiddly tech items so hopefully will have better luck!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
From the comments at the bottom of this link .....

„I also found that pulling the lever from ski to walk mode takes excessive force. I’ve been pulling up on it with my ski straps for extra leverage, and I have been worried that something is going to break. However, I just figured out that if you push down slightly on the tab that says “ski” in the gap in the lever while pulling up on the lever, then the lever pulls up easily. It’s easy to push on the ski tab with your thumb with bare hands or thin gloves. I have to use a ski pole tip when wearing thick gloves.“

https://www.wildsnow.com/27135/fritschi-xenic-technical-review/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve now used my Xenic in the field , and honestly have zero issue engaging the lever , on a comparison level , it’s a bit easier than my old radical 2 and loads easier than the shift ,
Doesn’t require any technique other than step in and one finger to lift lever and to step out just the usual push down with pole tip
@bobinch I’d be Claiming warranty On your toe pieces and hope to to a different story with new ones

Only issue I did have was mentioned in article above , that was the brakes failing to drop down In transitioning , seemed to just need a flick to release them , but this has now gone away with use

“ (Addendum, 1/9/2020. After more days of field testing, I’ve concluded the locking lever on my set of Xenic is too difficult to pull up by hand. Moreover, the brakes tend to not deploy when exiting the ski. I like the design philosophy of the Xenic, especially the side release at the toe, but it’s possible this freshman effort might need another iteration. On the other hand, it’s possible I have a pre-retail version and need to be using the latest consumer version. Watch this space for more.)”

How do we know which version of the xenic we have ??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes no issues with the front lever on mine now, as I mentioned I take about five to six strides and then they're no effort to pull up.

I concur with regard to the brakes sticking though.

We did four transitions today as our climbs were circa 230m and my Outdoor Research jacket came into its own with the two skin stash pockets which kept the skins warm, plus so much faster to transition, don't even have to take my pack off!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Got back from a trip over the pond at the weekend, while over there i was given advice that contradicted what I'd been told over here.

Over here I was advised to undo everything on my boots, while walking, to make it as comfortable as possible: power strap, buckles all totally unfastened. But after falling off on a downhill ski with skins on, the guide told me to just loosen them all a little and not to unfasten them.

Is there and accepted "norm"?

And how the f*** do you ski downhill when touring Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Got back from a trip over the pond at the weekend, while over there i was given advice that contradicted what I'd been told over here.

Over here I was advised to undo everything on my boots, while walking, to make it as comfortable as possible: power strap, buckles all totally unfastened. But after falling off on a downhill ski with skins on, the guide told me to just loosen them all a little and not to unfasten them.

Think generally loosen lower buckles and fasten upper and power strap only enough to keep them from flapping about?
If I open everything my heel will lift and I'll get rub and blisters.

As for how to ski down in tour mode - generally with great entertainment value for spectators Very Happy

Actually I THINK the secret is to adopt a tele(ish) position (with apologies to any Telemarkers - I've never had a go). Slide one foot ahead of the other so that you can lean your weight on the back of the front boot. This stops your heel lifting and you going over the bars at the first sign of deceleration.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mosha Marc, I was told to leave the bottom two buckles fastened as normal, but open the top two (my boots have a 'lock' position for this purpose, so they're not flapping about) and loosen the power strap. This keeps my foot in position so no blisters, and tbh I probably could ski like that.
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, @Scarlet, it really is down to personal preference/whatever works for you and the terrain you're on as well as temps.

Warmer temps you're more likely to blister if you sweat a lot.

Hard technical traverses then tighter boots, long flat poling sections then they can be looser.

On the whole ease off the two foot buckles from how you'd have them for skiing, ankle / shin buckles depending on whether you have one or two loosened off to the locking/walking clip so they are not open and get caught on bushes twigs etc. And power strap eased off completely but not undone.

As for skiing downhill, I would say it comes with practice but this week my left ski had a mind of its own.

But yes is always great to get down unscathed and then watch your mate's, especially if they are split-boarders Laughing

As I mentioned above been touring this week and multiple transitions which can throw up various issues.

My skins do not have tail clips and are circa 20cm shorter, which sometimes are not ideal for multi transitions in powder, to that end I had my plastic scraper that I use when waxing skis in my pocket, as opposed to my pack, I normally carry it for scraping down iced skis, but took to using it to "iron" out the skins to my skis so that they stuck well to the tips and tails and that worked sans hitch.

And like I said, skins in jacket pockets so easy, I even cut the cheat sheets down so they fitted even better in the pockets
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:

It really depends on the range of movement ROM of the boot , I tour in a pair of Fischer travers with 80’ ROM so basically just pull the lever into walk mode and off I go , no need to loosen the buckle , but if your boots have a low range then loosening all upper buckles and strap would be needed for a comfortable walk , but I would still only open buckles rather than completely undoing as much easier to transition back to ski mode quickly if needed
ski holidays
Xenic shims were game changing. @spyderjon is a magician. Now to fix the bindings!
snow conditions
Just got back from delivering some Touring around Mayrhofen. Can I put out a shout for the Rastkogelhutte? The long time Guardians, Kathleen and Steffen Damman are going through a bit of a tough time. Kathleen has had major surgery to remove a benign tumour but Steffen is soldiering on with the help of the lovely Marlene this season. If you are a fan of of great Rum, German Heavy Metal or Motorbikes please pop up and say hello if you're in the area and give them your custom. Great couple and the overnight stays are always worthwhile. Stay out of the "Private" bar if you want to go uphill the next day!! http://www.rastkogelhuette.de/
ski holidays
In a bid to be upgraded from Chief Wally, I've upped the stakes and toured on my 190cm DPS Spoons (158-148-151) mounted with Shifts. They are perfect for soft snow as you get the full snowshoe effect and float on the surface Toofy Grin

This time in Kiroro, not a lot of vertical gain, but a good horizontal skin to reach fresh lines in the back bowl out of the gate at the top of the main gondola.

Yes, I know the crotch strap is undone, we were about to transition rolling eyes

IMG_5707

IMG_6406
snow report
@PowderAdict, you can never be surpassed now! Please do t tell us you can even do kick turns on those beasts? Hoping to get mine out next weekend if the forecast Euro dump plays out...
latest report
Kick turns on 190's with my little legs, no way Laughing
ski holidays
@KenX, didn't we see a guy on spoons or were they something else with matching green uber light G3 bindings, really light set-up as I just had to have a feel.
snow report
@Weathercam, Lotus 138, green with matching tiny bindings (or they may have been Dukes, just looked tiny!)
Super light though!
snow report
That biner looks perfectly positioned to swing back and crack you in the nuts Laughing

20 points for full Norrøna, 50 points for skis wider than brakes. Good work!
snow conditions
@Sharkymark, The largest brakes may only be 120mm, but the Lambley magician can bend anything Cool

@Weathercam, @KenX, The standard Lotus 138 is actually heavier than the Spoon for the same length. The Spoons are amazing conversation starter, and anyone with remotely the same BSL as me has to try them on. The first comment is they have no edges, as you can spin them on the spot, the second is how light they are.
snow report
Isn't it -20 style point for Norrona? I'm confused
latest report
@Mosha Marc, get out
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aren’t the points only for the Norrona onesie?

Verbier Spoons will be making their first appearance of the season next weekend by the looks of things.

And Fritschi came good with 2 new Xenic toe pieces so it’s gear heaven here!
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
......And Fritschi came good with 2 new Xenic toe pieces so it’s gear heaven here!

So do what I recommended when next out.

DO NOT try and pull the lever up until you've taken ten or so strides and those after you've engaged the toe-piece and swung your leg a few times.

And do your brakes stick?

I'm just servicing my bike and will use some of my super lube and see if that makes any difference.

Edit to the above, seems to have done the trick!
snow conditions
^^^ message received and understood Very Happy

Haven’t noticed any brake issues?
snow conditions
@BobinCH,
Just out of interest what Delta did you end up with after shiming the the Xenics, 4.5 mm? (14.5 - 10)

https://skimo.co/pin-heights
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Aren’t the points only for the Norrona onesie?

No otherwise I'll never hear the end of it from the Rabbit.

I suspect you'll see a mk. 2 Xenic toe piece for 2021 or 2022.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
@BobinCH,
Just out of interest what Delta did you end up with after shiming the the Xenics, 4.5 mm? (14.5 - 10)

https://skimo.co/pin-heights

DB, be careful with those pin height charts as they're misleading.

The Xenic when used with a full touring sole has 8-10mm of delta depending upon the make/model of boot and IIRC Bob's Zero G's measured 9/9.5mm. I made some 6mm shims for him to reduce that accordingly.
snow conditions
@spyderjon,
Many thanks for the info (although I'm ever more confused now).

I'll continue the discussion in the ramp angle thread.
snow report
As I know @spyderjon, likes making mods to kit etc

How about a top of the ski cleaning scraper?

We were nagging about this in Japan.

I often find myself in the situation when breaking trail of ending up with a couple of kgs of snow on top of my so-called lightweight skis, if I had a scraper on top of my ski pole I could clean the snow with one swipe as opposed to several attempts using the pole handle?

And FWIW I have tried waxing the top sheet etc, heavy Euro powder is the worst
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
As I know @spyderjon, likes making mods to kit etc

How about a top of the ski cleaning scraper?

We were nagging about this in Japan.

I often find myself in the situation when breaking trail of ending up with a couple of kgs of snow on top of my so-called lightweight skis, if I had a scraper on top of my ski pole I could clean the snow with one swipe as opposed to several attempts using the pole handle?

And FWIW I have tried waxing the top sheet etc, heavy Euro powder is the worst

http://youtube.com/v/p1XlNU82Fpg

Cody Townsend doing a "what's in my bag"
@26:14 he swears by one of these
https://www.msrgear.com/ie/cookware/camp-kitchen-and-utensils/alpine-dish-brushscraper/05331.html

could it be screwed/cable tied on to a ski pole handle?
Lekis have a slot that look cable tie friendly (obs not the releasable ones!)
latest report
@Weathercam, you mean something like this?

Not quite what you asked for, and not quite a single swipe, but it does work quite well.
snow report
@mgrolf, feck me, that's it, think I'll be buying some!

Snow Scraper Review

Just looking at the Scepter reveals its main feature: the scraper grip. BCA noticed, the main thing that adds weight to your extra svelte setup is all that snow stuck to your topsheets. Every step uphill in that setup you paid good money to make lightweight carries that penalty of the loose accumulations from the skin track.

Enter the scraper grip. Simply flip your pole, do a couple curling-style pushes down your topsheets, and bam: instantly lighter.
ski holidays

Shame about the lack of rubber grip beneath the handle, but easily rectified with grip tape Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy