Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
Hot off the Press as it were......

Superguide range completely re-worked for next season. The Superguide Freetour is 105mm underfoot. Afraid the test ones have Shift bindings on...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have recently bought some Volkl V werks Mantras. With Alpinist bindings they come in at 2kg a ski. Not bad for an all mountain ski and 99mm underfoot. 500gms per ski heavier than my normal touring set up but acceptable for a shorter day tour. They are great in the down too and are my go to on/off piste type of ski.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:

https://www.skirandomag.com/2020/01/26/les-nouveautes-ski-de-rando-2021-en-direct-de-lispo/

Some nice looking toys there!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have some @spyderjon crafted toys to play with...

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, report back!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
KenX wrote:
@BobinCH, report back!
- I'm very interested in your results too!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/uploads/1866/IMG_0704.jpeg

think ive finally covered all the bases for my ski touring adventures this year and onwards , can't wait to get enough snow for the black crows first outing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spendy!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KenX wrote:
Spendy!!!
+1

Today was rather sweet, almost like Japan nearing the summit

And a video with a nice slow-mo wipeout at the end Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/BYYNC_fe84E
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dabber wrote:
https://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/uploads/1866/IMG_0704.jpeg

think ive finally covered all the bases for my ski touring adventures this year and onwards , can't wait to get enough snow for the black crows first outing

That’s a sexy quiver! What bindings on the BC’s?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tectons
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH, yep Tectons ,Jon swopped the Tectons from the TX for me , as after a few early season hikes on the shift , realised just too heavy for me on anything more than a lift served hike 0f 2hrs or so , and really wanted to be able to take the BC's further and reap the rewards Happy
and now keeping the kastle for full/multi day trips
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KenX wrote:
Spendy!!!
not really ,and defo worth the £££££££
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
KenX wrote:
Spendy!!!
+1

Today was rather sweet, almost like Japan nearing the summit

And a video with a nice slow-mo wipeout at the end Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/BYYNC_fe84E

snow looks soooo nice Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

https://www.skirandomag.com/2020/01/26/les-nouveautes-ski-de-rando-2021-en-direct-de-lispo/

Some nice looking toys there!

I'm gonna get me a penguin!!!
Defo not the crappy Marker Frankenbinding though...........
snow report
@Dabber, it was, only 15cm or so, but cold Very Happy
ski holidays
@Dabber, do you have the same backseat issues as I do on TX98 / Xenics?
How are the BC’s in comparison?
snow report
A Xenic tip.

When preparing for ascent, put boot in and engage pins.

DO NOT try and pull front lever up. Then take six or seven strides and then pull lever up and it will be as smooth as a .........
ski holidays
@BobinCH, luckily no , but with the Fischer travers boots I use it seems that the angle is less than most quoted here , not been out on the BC's yet but skied the Tectons on the kastle with zero issues too , seems like some people are more sensitive to delta than others , and with blowing any smoke up ur !@£$% you're a lot better skier than me so im sure you must be more delta sensitive than me , so hope the toe shim will sort that for you snowHead also zero issues with the shift too ,

@Weathercam, cheers , was a little tough similar to the shift , but will try that snowHead
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
A Xenic tip.

DO NOT try and pull front lever up. Then take six or seven strides and then pull lever up and it will be as smooth as a .........

I’ve already put an inch on my right bicep pulling that f**king lever!
ski holidays
@BobinCH, You need to alternate arms!!!
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
A Xenic tip.

I’ve already put an inch on my right bicep pulling that f**king lever!

might be worth checking that out , just thought id check out weather cams method , which does work a treat , but to be honest mine just click up with one finger and no effort at all right from the off , so not sure that excessive effort should be required , whereas the shifts do require a bit of pole leverage every time !!!
snow report
To be fair I stuck DIN on 10 and over tightened by one turn after I lost the ski that day.... probably need to loosen them a bit and retry
snow report
https://www.wildsnow.com/27507/scott-freeguide-carbon-ski-boot-first-look/

nice looking option for the wider footed tourer
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
To be fair I stuck DIN on 10 and over tightened by one turn after I lost the ski that day.... probably need to loosen them a bit and retry

The DIN setting won't affect the walk/ski lever........
snow report
KenX wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

The DIN setting won't affect the walk/ski lever........

Yep I was thinking more about the overtightening, thinking that may have an influence? Will try @Weathercam tip above!
snow conditions
Wally time again forgetting goggles with a storm forecast. Looking like an amateur bank robber trying to keep the stinging sleet off my face!

Really noticed the difference in weight back on the Rustler/Shift compared to the new light setup. And struggled with the wet snow sticking to the skins. Still a good workout to clear the head!

About to pick up the newly quiver killered, shimmed bindings from the @spyderjon / Sole Boot Lab magic tag team...
snow report
@BobinCH, I have had good results using "NikWax skin proof" - the skins continue to come off nearly dry and it's lasted about 10 climbs on one application so far.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@oui4ski, Thanks for the tip - smduku noted. I bought some skin wax so will try that first. I think it was mainly because the snow was wet. Haven’t experienced that before...
snow report
Some binding art from @Spyderjon

Quiver Koller inserts from Sole

Now if only they’ll let us through the tunnel... Col shut Mad
ski holidays
Some said it shouldn't have been done, others complained about colour coordination, but here is the proof that you can tour on a 192cm, 138mm waist full rocker ski mounted with Shifts NehNeh

Pictures taken on glacier on the backside of the Metro at Saas-Fee at around 3250m (the revolving restaurant at 3500m can be seen top of shot). The skins are from my 185cm 124mm skis, so provide enough coverage, and G3 skins have long tails.

Please see pictures below, my originals imported with the wrong ratio.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 3-02-20 10:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
PowderAdict wrote:
Some said it shouldn't have been done, others complained about colour coordination, but here is the proof that you can tour on a 192cm, 138mm waist full rocker ski mounted with Shifts NehNeh

Ridiculous! But impressive nonetheless. You win the chief Wally award for that achievement!
snow conditions
@PowderAdict, did you have to squish the photos to get the whole ski in? Laughing
snow conditions

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 3-02-20 0:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
@PowderAdict, did you have to squish the photos to get the whole ski in? Laughing

I hadn't noticed, but there is definitely something wrong with the ratio, I'll take a look tomorrow.
ski holidays
Nah, they're 85mm skis............
ski holidays
Also did some walley-ish touring this weekend.

First, I forgot I needed the new vignette to take the car on the motorway - luckily remembered just before point of last return, and was able to go back to a petrol station to get it.

Then once on the motorway missed the turning to pick my mate up so had to double back.

Once we finally got to the lifts, I managed to forget my transciever in the car... remembering just as the gondola doors closed. Hopped out at the mid-station, skied down to get it and back up again.

Then - and I only realised this the day after - forgot to take the tongues off my boots for the climb. I'd thought I was struggling just because it was my first time over 3000m since November or so.

BUT great views and weather, wind-pressed but still soft snow, and around 2200m descent for only around 750m vert up.

360° video so should be able to swipe the viewpoint around to check the views:

http://youtube.com/v/IWhRY_vHUkY
snow conditions
@clarky999, A digital vignette with auto-renew and a flask of coffee in the car would probably solve most of those issues...
ski holidays
@Scarlet, if I was organised enough to do that I would be organised enough to have no issues without Laughing

BTW, with the digital vignette do you still get the little slip to get a discount off the Europabrücke/Brenner annual videomaut?
snow report
@clarky999, You can get a discount at the Brenner? Take that as a no, they don't send you anything Confused (Unless N has it in an email he hasn't read, which is entirely possible).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy