Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
@Sharkymark, I was wondering if anyone had any of the Scott kit, is the helmet & glasses also suitable for biking??

Got myself some touring poles in the sales, think the bright Lekis are going back, the Salomons have a longer foam area and not quite as loud!

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, did you mean Scott or did you mean the Smith kit I posted about? The Smith stuff is very skiing oriented: the glasses are massive and may sit a bit weirdly with a bike helmet. I'm not sure the lid is certified for bikes. Their wildcat sunnies would be better if you're using them for both. I don't actually own any Scott ski helmets or sunnies!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sharkymark, doh yes meant smith! The blurb about the helmet I posted here ages ago and got no replies but it said triple certified

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5041783&highlight=helmet#5041783
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski, ahhh, that makes more sense! It's certainly light enough to ride in and it's well vented so you won't get too hot...but I wouldn't want to ride in it on a summer's day. If you're riding up to the snow line to go ski touring, yeah for sure it'll be perfect.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anyone found any decent sun tan cream that lasts all day & sting eyes when sweaty? Actually planning to use it for masters hockey at the end of May and also a 60km walk the week after!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
anyone found any decent sun tan cream that lasts all day & sting eyes when sweaty? Actually planning to use it for masters hockey at the end of May and also a 60km walk the week after!
I don't walk for my turns so don't know about the sweat thing, but for all day snowboarding and surfing... P20 works for me.
I like it because it's once a day stuff and I find re-application annoying and unreliable.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I picked up a smith summit helmet half price in the NH end of season sales. Keen to try it out, hopefully in about a months time. Been using an Oakley one and it’s bulky and hot and often gets left behind because I can’t be bothered to carry it.

The smith one feels nice and light and the head torch clips are a useful feature.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:

Can’t help with cream but for ski touring I use this Dynafit thin headband which keeps sweat out of the eyes remarkably well and protects from the sun. It also now gets used for roadbiking for the same purpose. Other less garish colours are available!
https://www.snowleader.ch/de/performance-2-dry-headband-neon-yellow-DYFIT00612.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6cKiBhD5ARIsAKXUdybDcbhGGKuyvvEeqML1Y-bQdXCHMIbavpmjJvKg0f5caJM2khbb3usaAkTFEALw_wcB
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Can’t help with cream but for ski touring I use this Dynafit thin headband which keeps sweat out of the eyes remarkably well and protects from the sun. It also now gets used for roadbiking for the same purpose. Other less garish colours are available!
https://www.snowleader.ch/de/performance-2-dry-headband-neon-yellow-DYFIT00612.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6cKiBhD5ARIsAKXUdybDcbhGGKuyvvEeqML1Y-bQdXCHMIbavpmjJvKg0f5caJM2khbb3usaAkTFEALw_wcB

I have something similar, but from Decathlon.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-cross-country-skiing-headband-xc-s-head-500/_/R-p-301293?mc=8501035&c=BLACK
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still having it!

Spring snow on the North Face of the Combeynot above the Lautaret which you can just about make out in the picture.

Ski straight to and from the van.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
found that snowleader have 20% off the entire website at the moment, almost bought a Smith summit helmet then worked out no ear cover/warmers (which I do use in deepest winter!)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@kitenski, it comes with a thin beanie thing and there's enough space to fit a proper beanie under it too if that makes a difference...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Sharkymark, thanks yea
I did note that but it also doesn’t have closeable vents?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, no closable vents but plenty of room for a beanie under it.

Also, I got one off Amazon US for 50% off
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
do you reckon helmet + beanie is as warm as traditional helmet with ear muffs and closed vents when it's dumping or -20 and blowing a gale??
latest report
Personally I hate having ear covers on my helmets so always take them off, and have no issue with a beanie/balaclava combo to keep my head toasty. If it's really filthy, I pull the jacket of my hood over the helmet
snow conditions
After seeing my 14 year old son crush me on the uphill this year I need to even up the odds. I have been using my Soul 7 Hd and shifts. Fine for the odd hour but after a couple of ascents I haven’t much left. I am also carrying my Scott E1 and the whole package is too much for more than one long ascent. My son hired Scott Zero G 95 and a tech bindings plus tour boots. I was pretty impressed by the ski and was in the market but didn’t want to splash out 600 quid plus bindings. Now I see the Atomic Backland 95 is on sale at Ellis Brigham at 300 pounds and although I hadn’t thought about it this looks a great price.

Have any snow heads skied both skis and have a view? I am 77kg and 182cm tall. I also have an old set of Fischer 90 which are very light and not stiff so I don’t mind a ski with a bit of life in it but would like some stability in old snow. Float is key though. Any thoughts welcome!
ski holidays
@Matrix, do you mean the Blizzard Zero G 95 or the Scott Superguide 95?
ski holidays
@HammondR, yes sorry Blizzard!
latest report
After some thoughts on ski length please.

I have a pair of huge off piste skis (121 underfoot) 184cm with a set of shift bindings on them. I quickly found out on my L1 Mountain Safety exam these are not good on the up! Laughing

I ended up hiring a pair of Elan ripstick 88s which were much easier to walk up in!

Going to buy myself another pair of skis but wondering on length.

I'm 5' 10" tall and on the erm, heavier side!

My all rounder piste skis are a 175, and wondering if I should go for something slightly longer as a touring ski?

Was considering buying these:

https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/wayback-88-und-dynafit-radical-st-bindung-711720436

Any thoughts?
latest report
swskier wrote:

I have a pair of huge off piste skis (121 underfoot) 184cm with a set of shift bindings on them. I quickly found out on my L1 Mountain Safety exam these are not good on the up! Laughing

I ended up hiring a pair of Elan ripstick 88s which were much easier to walk up in!

My all rounder piste skis are a 175, and wondering if I should go for something slightly longer as a touring ski?

https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/wayback-88-und-dynafit-radical-st-bindung-711720436

Any thoughts?

I'm 5'9 and about 80kg at the moment Embarassed ABout 5kg above where I like to be!
My uphill focused skis are Scott Superguide 88 in 178cm (pretty similar to the wayback 88 I'd say). That's a good length for me - never wanted anything shorter but I have some Whitedot R108 in 186cm that I also skin on and those sometimes feel cumbersome in kick turns etc.
That said a bit depends on your off piste technique toolkit - I'm not an amazing skier but over the years I've developed a pretty broad sets of skills that I can pull out to deal with different snow conditions etc. A friend who I ski with a lot is similar size to me and a very competent off piste skier but is not quite as adaptable and he prefers something a little shorter that he can muscle around when things get tricky.
snow report
@swskier, guess it depends on your hip flexibility for kick turns, longer skis will be harder to kick turn IMHO!
ski holidays
@kitenski, not fantastic, I struggle to get the skis parallel during the kick turn when the skis are pointing in opposite directions.

The Volkl revolts I have in the 184 were particularly tricky on the kick turns, and was killing me stamina wise.

I'm not looking for a super light uphill set or anything as I want a decent ski back down, but primarily our touring will be weekday evenings as a form of dog walking.

https://www.zillertalarena.com/en/zell/winter/off-piste/ski-tours/
latest report
swskier wrote:

Any thoughts?

Looks about right. If in doubt go shorter.

I’m 180cm 85kg and went 177cm in 88mm Volkl skis. Also enjoy skiing my wife’s 170cm Scott Speed Guide 80’s. And also have 185cm pow touring skis similar to your Revolts.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:

Looks about right. If in doubt go shorter.

I’m 180cm 85kg and went 177cm in 88mm Volkl skis. Also enjoy skiing my wife’s 170cm Scott Speed Guide 80’s. And also have 185cm pow touring skis similar to your Revolts.

Ok, you've sold me, and at €375 including the pin binding it's worth a go anyway.
ski holidays
Slight change of plan, but found these last night:

https://www.willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/black-diamond-helio-carbon-104-mit-marker-kingpin-inkl-fell-und-harscheisen-tourenski-707922421

Slightly longer and slightly more € but includes skins and crampons, plus they're 5 minutes away from me, rather than 1hr.
latest report
@swskier, All my fresh snow touring for the last season and a half was on that ski in 184 cm length. I couldn't be happier. Fairly light for uphill and predictable in difficult snow.

As a doddery old timer I always err towards skis summarised as "forgiving" (like my skinnier Salomon MTN 95's) and the Black Diamonds certainly are.

For comparison purposes I am 6 foot on a good day, and just over 12 stone (78kg).
snow report
@HammondR, thanks for the response. I won't be doing anything crazy on them, so happy with a more forgiving ski, so sounds like it should be fine.

If we get a good dump of pow, i'll break out the Volkl Revolt 121s.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's been a ski börse in Innsbruck this week which I managed to get to after work tonight, and picked up myself a pair of Scott Super Guide 95s in a 178 in the end, with pin plum pin bindings and skins.

Hopefully it won't be too long before they get some action (although my touring boots are in the UK until the end of November)
snow report
@swskier, just watch out with the Plums. Beautifully made but most of their chunkier offerings like the Guide have bonkers binding delta (the difference between the height above the ski of the toe pins and the heel pins). Lots of threads on the site about binding delta.

Some require a toe piece shim of a centimetre thickness to achieve something near level. I find them almost unbearable. Others don't even notice.

The Oazo on the other hand is just right.
snow report
@HammondR, they are the Plum guide, so I'll see how they feel when I get them strapped on!
snow report
Silly question perhaps, but struggling with google search.

Picked up a 2nd hand, like new set of Rossignol Enforcer 87s for the missus with the Look HM rotation binding on them.

Struggling to source crampons and wondering if anyone has a good idea where to look?

EDIT

Scrap that, just found them.....
ski holidays
@swskier, if you haven't already realised, the Look HM is a rebadged Dynafit Rotation so any tech binding crampon from Dynafit, Marker or ATK will fit.

However, the ATK are the better of the three as they're lighter and more compact.
snow report
@spyderjon, thank you, very helpful, that'll explain why ATK crampons kept coming up when I googled!

These should work then?

https://www.barrabes.com/de-de/atk-crampons-91mm/p-203236?idvariedad=796325&opt=d&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google.at&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1aOpBhCOARIsACXYv-d4SAS3X6Wj7JnKOqhziUUrHzNzMeeRH3XKgIWwEhy98h_F1muNxVQaAjBrEALw_wcB
snow conditions
@swskier, yep, they'll work on a ski up to 90/91mm underfoot.
latest report
@spyderjon, just for fun, best touring binding on the market today? I have Dynafit Speed somethings on the current skis, I fancy a ski upgrade in the next year or so, weight is obviously a factor but I'm surely not racing, brakes don't seem to work well so who needs? ... thoughts? ATK are very pretty but very ££ thanks
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@spyderjon, just for fun, best touring binding on the market today? I have Dynafit Speed somethings on the current skis, I fancy a ski upgrade in the next year or so, weight is obviously a factor but I'm surely not racing, brakes don't seem to work well so who needs? ... thoughts? ATK are very pretty but very ££ thanks

A nice big picture for you
ski holidays
@BobinCH, thank you. They are very pretty aren’t they?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, thank you. They are very pretty aren’t they?

Once you have tried these you won’t go back to other tech bindings…
ski holidays
@BobinCH, well I am told I need a goid season out of the current rig first Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy