Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring for wallies

Poster: A snowHead
@BobinCH, you forgot to add old man as well Laughing

Woke up, weather not doing it's thing, so went back to bed.

@Sharkymark, don't tend to do frequented skin-tracks Toofy Grin

Lovely cold powder you can flick the ski, but sometimes you just get a frustrating build-up at certain points throughout the season.

Looks like running on the agenda today rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:
@Sharkymark, don't tend to do frequented skin-tracks Toofy Grin

Lovely cold powder you can flick the ski, but sometimes you just get a frustrating build-up at certain points throughout the season.

That was kinda my point Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, is this a #namedrop thread now, too? Laughing wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sharkymark wrote:

Just saying if it’s good for the best in the business, maybe worth considering for the Wally massive snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, @Sharkymark, I might see what Batons d’Alain clones I can find here for a bit of retail therapy Toofy Grin

Then I'll have a choice of yet more gear to select based on the route/conditions of the day Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:

Just saying if it’s good for the best in the business, maybe worth considering for the Wally massive snowHead

It’s Wally massiv bruv
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sharkymark wrote:
I had adjustable poles. Once. A long time ago. The main problem is that they adjust (themselves) haha.

On a different subject, at some point I'll spew my thoughts on a couple of bits of new equipment I've invested in recently having wallied the life out of them in Lofoten.

I've had Black Diamond adjustable poles, which fingers crossed haven't slipped, or have been easy to tighten up, just don't expand beyond 125cm so may look at some that goto 135 or 140....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, the pair I had were BD too: I think they’ve updated the locking mechanism but it still hurts me to this day… Laughing

In practice, I never extended one pole and retracted the other on steep skin tracks; it was just too much hassle. I ended up doing what a lot of others do and buy normal poles and wrap grip tape around the shaft.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sharkymark, interesting cheers! I dont't ever shorten one either, but my mate does!! I'm wondering about extra length on the "ups" which I think lengthening once would work....or get the long poles!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve also got these in my “pole quiver” but rarely use them since getting Alain’s poles
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, would you describe yourself as a magpie…?

I’m sure a mate of mine had a pair for a short time. He went back to normal poles and an axe. I’m not convinced how useful they are really; an axe is way more secure and versatile. I can handle the extra few hundred grams without the jeopardy of stabbing myself and others at random points during the day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
…plus I think they’re unlikely to arrest you if you stack it (although they’ll probably adjust themselves as you’re trying haha)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Sharkymark, guilty as charged although I suspect my gear still gets more use than the average SH.

I’ve never used my axe to arrest a fall and whilst it might be useful for creating a crevasse rescue anchor I suspect the whippets are actually more practical. When climbing a steep bootpack you have 2 points for security (and they do grip) and if skiing down something steep you can ski with the balance of 2 poles rather than 1 pole and an axe which in my experience is not natural at all. The 2 whippets won’t have the same stopping power as a good axe but if you can apply them quicker who knows. The technique of slipping the axe in the shoulder strap for easy retrieval seems far more dangerous to me! You can also easily remove the whippet attachments and just use them as normal poles, just sticking them in for a bootpack or steep descent. I just prefer Alain’s poles and haven’t climbed/skied anything steep and icy enough to justify the extra faff of carrying them.

I’d be interested in real experiences of where an axe has been useful. I’d hesitate to take one now as can’t see a likely situation I’d use it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just checked out the website of my local ski-rando shop and they do their own version of Alain's poles at €39.99

https://www.chullanka.com/fr_FR/products-list/batons-ski-de-randonnee

I suspect that there might be a slight difference in quality Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, from the perspective of skiing with an axe, yes, the wippets are deffo more practical (and safer!). Your thoughts are interesting for a couple of reasons that are consistent with my thoughts too - I’ll do a nice sensible post when I get home and I’m at my laptop!
snow conditions
@Weathercam, ha! What’s the worst that can happen…?
latest report
@Sharkymark, obviously depends on where you are, a simple day tour, or a more gnarly one, or a trip to somewhere remote.

I've bust quality poles, as well as a preponderance for bending them, losing baskets and of course the grip lock failing, that's why I have ducktape wound around both my poles as that's helped once of twice fixing a pole for whatever reason.

I must take a photo of all the poles I have in my garage that I've collected over the years, from my early BD ones when I was snowboarding back in the 90's.

And of course, there's extra gnar points for skiing with two different poles Laughing

Actually have to go down to the garage to look for something the OH wants so a quick photo-shoot is in order, watch this space Laughing

And of course does not include those poles I left in the parking as opposed to putting them in the van.
latest report
Just worked it out there's 25 years of touring there Laughing

Though missing some as I said.

latest report
BobinCH wrote:
@Sharkymark, guilty as charged although I suspect my gear still gets more use than the average SH.

I’ve never used my axe to arrest a fall and whilst it might be useful for creating a crevasse rescue anchor I suspect the whippets are actually more practical. When climbing a steep bootpack you have 2 points for security (and they do grip) and if skiing down something steep you can ski with the balance of 2 poles rather than 1 pole and an axe which in my experience is not natural at all. The 2 whippets won’t have the same stopping power as a good axe but if you can apply them quicker who knows. The technique of slipping the axe in the shoulder strap for easy retrieval seems far more dangerous to me! You can also easily remove the whippet attachments and just use them as normal poles, just sticking them in for a bootpack or steep descent. I just prefer Alain’s poles and haven’t climbed/skied anything steep and icy enough to justify the extra faff of carrying them.

I’d be interested in real experiences of where an axe has been useful. I’d hesitate to take one now as can’t see a likely situation I’d use it.

As promised...my only use of an axe has been whilst climbing rather than descending, once the slope gets too steep to skin and too firm to bootpack securely (or, there's risk of type 3 fun and exposure). It's very rare that I've had to use one in the alps whereas for ski mountaineering in Norway (and also Scotland), an axe (and boot crampons) is needed quite often. I think the reason is generally, most of my skiing in the alps is winter or early spring (no later than mid march) so 'true' spring skiing where you're nibbling up a bone-hard slope to access spring snow as the sun warms isn't quite a thing yet. Also, we're rarely miles away from a lift system so access to juicy lines isn't actually that hard when combined with skins. That doesn't mean the potential isn't there (take a look at Jack the Skier's posts? I think that's right - the chap who skis around the Ecrins) by any means; it's just what's accessible to the skiing I tend to do (flouncing about in endless pow with the #namedrop Scott crew or guided days on bashes). As a local, do you see more potential for using mountaineering skills to access good skiing or do you not bother because access is so straightforward with lifts and skins without the added jeopardy? Certainly in more remote areas I've been to, using mountain jewellery is the only way to access good skiing in safe way.

If I'm skiing down, I'd feel (and IMHO almost certainly be) much safer with two poles than a stubby axe in one hand - the psychology would be a bit weird too: I'd be assuming I'll fall over and then probably more likely to! If it's that bad I feel I need an axe in hand, it's not a slope I'd want to ski.
snow report
@BobinCH, M. Paul Bonhomme: he’s got leashes on so does that mean he doesn’t lock out his toe binding?

Guide mate, no name drop, locks out his toes for critical stuff on the basis that pre-releasing would have greater consequences than losing a ski whereas, for anything more moderate, no toe-lock, so ski releasing not a critical matter and no leash required.

So… why the leash for PH, cos it looks like he’s on a pretty critical pitch there? - although in really nice powdery conditions... how many degrees is that pitch???

Asking for a friend Eh oh!
ski holidays
I ran leashes for one season and my conclusion, similar to adjustable poles, was they're more trouble than they're worth!

@Grinning, how dare you come on here, without a #namedrop or even a photo of a thousand poles Toofy Grin
latest report
@Sharkymark, I thought it inappropriate to share my collection of Batons d’Alain although I have just brought back to the UK a quiver of poles for fixing and bending including two pairs of 1989 Kerma Correction - the plastic wrist strap clips of which have not perished - however, the plugs on my pink Alain216 have both popped out Shock
latest report
@Grinning, you have pink Poles of Alan? Where’s @robb0 when you need her…
ski holidays
@Sharkymark, but they’re 140s…
latest report
Grinning wrote:
@BobinCH, M. Paul Bonhomme: he’s got leashes on so does that mean he doesn’t lock out his toe binding?

Guide mate, no name drop, locks out his toes for critical stuff on the basis that pre-releasing would have greater consequences than losing a ski whereas, for anything more moderate, no toe-lock, so ski releasing not a critical matter and no leash required.

So… why the leash for PH, cos it looks like he’s on a pretty critical pitch there? - although in really nice powdery conditions... how many degrees is that pitch???

Asking for a friend Eh oh!

No idea. Message him on IG and ask him like I did re the poles. I don’t lock out my toes on ATK bindings as I trust them. A locked toe in an avalanche could tear your leg off. Assume he’s on Alpinists as a Volkl rider so maybe he trusts those bindings and his technique to ski them without ore-release.
latest report
Sharkymark wrote:
.....As a local, do you see more potential for using mountaineering skills to access good skiing or do you not bother because access is so straightforward with lifts and skins without the added jeopardy? Certainly in more remote areas I've been to, using mountain jewellery is the only way to access good skiing in safe way.......

Must be an age thing now, but I've not used my "mountain jewellery" for a good few years, though last week when we found ourselves on a steep boot pack I was thinking I wish I had my axe!

Whenever I've used my gear it's been with a guide and in terrain where I'd prefer to be with a guide, so I don't go looking for the "added jeopardy" of steeps to access Spring unlike Jack Skier and Ecrins Collective, who is a climber anyway, plus I don't have the skillsets of rope tackle etc and have not used a guide for a good few years.

Plenty of good Spring snow skiing to be had without boot crampons and axes and I tend to try and get by without using ski crampons as good for the technique but I've been caught out a couple of times Laughing

This was the last time I had to use gear, a cracking trip Chamonix way, back in 2017 - and my legs with all the cycling and running don't object too much.

https://stylealtitude.com/chamonix-road-trip.html

Anyway, Spring skiing is certainly not on the menu today, as it rained hard here at 1,400 last night and can see snow on the trees at 2,200 so hopefully some fresh to play on this morning, though viz coming and going.
snow conditions
Anybody tried throwing themselves headfirst down an icy black run to practice their ice axe arrest technique?

http://youtube.com/v/XhBo4I9inpo
snow report
Just going back to snow build up on the top of the ski....

This morning I was smiling to myself as I was skinning up in fresh snow that at times was a bit heavy due to it being windblown, stopping and easily clearing the snow off, thinking how people get so anal about the weight of their bindings, not using brakes to save some weight and yet would skin up with a kg of snow on each ski Laughing

The second time I went back up, my tracks has nigh on disappeared from the first climb in only 40mins.

Akin to people buying light-weight MTBs* only to end up in a mud-fest or they could just save weight if they lost a couple of kgs Toofy Grin

The same applies to road-bikes, easier/less expensive to lose kgs off the body rather than scrape a kg off the bike etc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My batons d’Alain are 135cm and this is where I hold them. Right hand holding the GoPro stick

http://youtube.com/v/PaJ4qHW38G8
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
My batons d’Alain are 135cm and this is where I hold them. Right hand holding the GoPro stick

http://youtube.com/v/PaJ4qHW38G8

'Where you hold your pole' is a whole new thread topic in itself:it has the potential to rival 'the helmet thread' and 'inner tip lead'.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Anybody tried throwing themselves headfirst down an icy black run to practice their ice axe arrest technique?

Ha! In the absence of snow, I threw myself headfirst down the stairs instead. Didn't go so well...
snow report
In other news, I've recently made a couple of purchases that other tourers (the progressive kind Laughing ) maybe interested in. Having been sucked into 'The Fifty' (the best series on Youtube, hands down), I've gone full Cody and bought the Smith Summit helmet and the new Smith Pursuit sunnies.

Summit Helmet
I've worn a helmet for all my piste / lift served / freeride skiing for years but when it comes to pure touring or ski mountaineering, I've just worn a hat. A few reasons including convenience, less faff when changing over, weight / volume / flopping about on your pack, ears too toasty in spring. The advent of lighter lids, such as the Salomon MTN have piqued my interest and finally the design of the Smith won me over. Having used it for a week in Lofoten, I'm very impressed. Reasons being:

1. It's sensibly light: not so light that it'll be crushed in the overhead locker but way lighter than a 'normal' lid.
2. The fit: the shell is slightly oversized for any given head measurement so it fits over a beanie / cap / haddock headwear headband. The boa-style fit system takes up all the slack if you choose to go commando. It's also supplied with a thin beanie to wear underneath so loads of options to manage heat. This also reduces faff time - just bung it on over whatever you're wearing on your head at the time.
3. It's not bulky: the fit system is attached to a flexible harness which folds into the lid. Sits low on your pack.
4. It's not too hot: plenty of vents, nothing over the ears, also see (2).
5. Doesn't look goofy (this is very important).
6. It's not cheap but you can get one for £160 reduced from £200+ on Snowleader Smile

Pursuit Sunnies
These are currently difficult to get hold of in the UK - they appear to have had a soft release here. However, managed to get a pair from RX Sport. Other than the old skool glacier sunnies and models from the likes of Julbo, there aren't really any sunnies designed specifically with skiing in mind (happy to be corrected on this though!). My thoughts:

1. Deffo function over form. Yes, the wide, deep look is on trend right now but these are very wide and very deep so not for swaggering about in down the high street without being laughed at (unless it's Verbier). The upside is they work very well for their intended use: wear them on the way up without going blind and wear them on the way down without getting your eyes frozen / falling off. With the large wrap lens and temple guards, they offer a lot of protection - no light or wind gets in both on the way up and the way down. They fit very well with the summit lid (as you'd expect) with no punter gap or weird glasses-with-helmet-look if that's a factor for you. This means less faff on changeover.
2. I have the cat 3 black lens: deffo for sun or marginally cloudy. Still need goggles for mixed light and / or it's shitting it down. The photochromic lenses would make them more versatile for sure.

Do they replace goggles for everything? No. Do they help streamline your routine? Yes. Do they protect your damn eyes? Absolutely.

3. OMG I ramble a lot.
snow report
@Sharkymark, the big question - are you also getting a sleeping bag with arms, just like Cody’s??

Laughing

It is a great series.
snow report
@Inboard, not yet. I need to find a use case first
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Ha! In the absence of snow, I threw myself headfirst down the stairs instead. Didn't go so well...

So many variables! One flight or more, was there a turn/landing between, carpet or laminate...? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Yesterday back up to our favourite area, was very much a last-minute decision as the weather was not as forecast.

What was mildly alarming was watching people take decidedly dodgy routes such as this, and that face has a history of going, plus there was a group doing a boot-pack up the ridge to the left!

The best route goes along the valley and invariably we end up getting in front of those that have decided to go the way as in the picture above.

But they were quite quick and when we turned off to head to our objective there was no-one in sight as they were ahead of us taking a different route to another area up there, which as you can see has a lot of options; well so I thought.

Then as I was nearing the last pitch so they appeared and then continued to skin a traverse that was close to suicidal, they did at least spread out to 30ms then the guy in front (guide?) started digging into the snow to check it, and then they turned around and followed my track to the ridge, where I had to shout to tell them not to hang around below me in case I set something off and they were directly below me. Two of them understood and moved quickly whilst the third started to take photos rolling eyes

And then with that another group appeared having followed my track all the way. Fortunately, I had plenty of time to transition and the OH was below me in a secure spot as she doesn't like the exposure of the ridge, plus from there she could film Toofy Grin

You'll see in the vid their traverse skin track and where it finished and you can probably work out from my line how steep it was given that usually, a camera can't quite capture the actual gradient.

Maybe best tour of the season?

http://youtube.com/v/GVijcSpAKBs
snow report
Was out on my own this morning and the encroaching weather scrapped my plan of skinning up and then dropping off to then climb back up racking up circa 1,000m so I decided to push the speed and was averaging at times 700m per hour, not bad for an old git Laughing

Ended up with av speed of 646m per hour, but still with a lowish av HR.

My fitness levels are way down on what they'd usually be as ski-touring for me, whilst great for stamina/endurance has zero impact on anaerobic fitness, which I only get from specific training be it running/cycling and longer rides.

The OH when she comes out with me gets on Strava high relative figure efforts, in the 150's whilst I can be just in the teens, low 20's.
snow report
Fabulous conditions for late season touring in the high Alpine. Not been out on the skins for a few weeks and it showed… Had the wrong skins in the cave and so cobbled an old set together which looked a bit skinny on my fat DPS touring rig. Lucky we weren’t doing anything steep Very Happy

Dropping in 3-2-1

Slufftastic

http://youtube.com/v/g4CvVVmarEc

Fab reports coming in from @JackSkier, in La Grave and from the midi in Chamonix. Great conditions for touring and steep skiing if you can get out there!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 27-04-23 7:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
“That was soo good”
snow report
Been great down in our part of the world too, some really sweet Spring skiing and just us on the mountain it seemed.

Four sorties in the last seven days, and given the weather that's not too bad!

The headbangers like @JackSkier are doing their stuff, we saw three guys hiking up this morning to get to God knows where as I couldn't see any skiable snow for about 750 vertical, and Ecrinscollective was doing some equally OTT stuff yesterday.

Mate in Chamonix has been having a great time helped by the GM getting him above 3,000m. Was thinking of going up to see him but the weather looks very dank and warm for the next 3-4 days

Nice and mellow for me Laughing

The vid shows the technique I used to take your skins off quite quickly (no faff of sheets), and great for when it's windy, though not as fast a technique as the ski-mo dudes use!

http://youtube.com/v/RoMlj9iBmek

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 27-04-23 13:52; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy