Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All Mountain Ski's 90 - 99mm? What width? What ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Powder Pete wrote:
Are they greatly exaggerating?
Yes - it’s called marketing

Powder Pete wrote:

Probably what I want is two skis. A go everywhere ski that will be much more versatile - say I want to do some piste, some side off piste, some moguls. Perhaps there's some limited powder or the off piste is chopped up refrozen cement.

Then I want a powder ski for when the snow really comes. Do you think 105-110mm like a mindbender 108, Stockli 105, Soul 7 etc would cut it for that kind of ski? A lot of reviews suggest it would in the alps / east coast. Or am I just settling for ok for the sake of more flexibility again? I do worry if I go too wide i'll end up with a ski i'll barely get to use.

With the DPS I notice a large price difference between the F and A models. Which model are you recommending?

Thanks

I think you are on the right track. But you need to consider the construction and radius, and not just the waist of skis. The Stockli 105 and Mindbender 108 are very different skis to the Soul 7. The first 2 are damp, stable, hard chargers, better for harder, chopped up conditions. Soul 7 is soft, better for powder.

A ski like the Stormrider 95 or similar are good for your all conditions ski.

Look at something Softer/more rockered like Mindbender 116C / Bent Chetler 120 / DPS Wailer Foundation (smaller radius) for your off piste ski. Skis that make skiing wind blown powder easy and fun (what you typically get in Europe).

Re DPS, Foundation is softer (easier) and cheaper. Alchemist is a stiffer Carbon construction and very (too) expensive.

FWIW I have a DPS Alchemist 124 as my powder ski and. Blizzard Rustler 11 112 as my mixed conditions ski. This is very much oriented to off piste but I don’t get excited skiing on piste so avoid wherever possible and my choices reflect that.

I can recommend Blister reviews as a great source of objective info on skis. Note they are all very strong skiers though!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking across the Black Crows range, it’s interesting that the 91mm waisted Orb has been recategorised as a ‘piste’ ski - I’m pretty sure they were marketed as ‘all mountain’ when I bought them a couple of years back. I opted for them as a general purpose all rounder after trying them back to back with the Blizzard Bonafides and Brahmas - enjoyed both of those skis, but found the Orbs much more forgiving to ski in situations where you don’t want to be on your edges all the time. Tried the Orbs in 172 and 178, and opted for the longer ones in the end as I found them a little more stable at higher speeds; the shorter ones felt a little wobbly on occasion, although I tip the scales at 14st (5’10”), so probably not surprising. They hold their edges pretty well on groomed runs, but they’re pretty forgiving if you want to be adding some rotation in there as well.

I’m currently running them with a set of Shifts for shorter ‘self propelled’ days out when I don’t think my lightweight touring setup will cope with conditions. I do most of my skiing in Scotland, so deep powder days are less of an issue here Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@NeilPratt, This years Orbs are 88mm from a quick check of their website..........
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Powder Pete, have you seen this thread? https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148894
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
@NeilPratt, This years Orbs are 88mm from a quick check of their website..........

Good spot - they look like they've had a redesign for this year. The Ova, which used to be their 88mm piste ski, has disappeared from the lineup. Interesting that the Orb Freebird is still available at 91mm underfoot.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It'd be interesting to use something like the Orb as an everyday ski, I wonder what it'd be like on hard pack/spring icy pistes??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Powder Pete,

If I was buying one ski to do everything then I'd go for 95mm and if I had the budget I'd go for the stocklis.

I actually spend most of my time on 108mm or 120mm but I'd really miss having something narrower for days when the snow was hard. The pleasure of linking short carved cross under turns is not to be sniffed at and I can really do that on a fatter ski. And if its a powder day you'll have a wonderful time on 95mm even if wider would be a little better.

BTW my old stormriders are the first generation XL - a massive 75mm in the waist! Still fun off piste.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jedster, Stormrider XLs. Awesome. Why do they not still, etc.?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any thoughts on the Stockli laser AR or AX. They are marked as all mountain race skis with 84mm underfoot and capable of off piste. Are they really wide enough though to be considered all mountain? I guess if you want great piste performance with all the carving energy and rebound you want as close to a race ski as you can get and as narrow as you can get without making them un-skiable in powder and variable conditions. Might the AR be a step too close to what I already have and basically just a race ski with some marketing that says they're suitable for off piste when they're not?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Powder Pete, the things that make a ski good at racing are the same attributes that make offpiste harder. The designs are diametrically opposed.

For offpiste, and especially all the tree skiing in Saalbach, you want a ski that will not just float but that will make pivot turns, slashes and scrubbed turns easier in 3D snow - whether you are on it or in it. A longitudinally and torsionally stiff ski with full length aggressive sidecut and basically full length camber will not make life easier or more fun off the groomers - even if you scaled it up to 100mm+ underfoot. That ski really wants to make carved turns of whatever its radius is, and won't reward you when you to smear smaller or bigger turns than that through powder trees or wind-Be Nice please! chop or chalky couloir or whatever it is. The tips and tails want to hook up into *that* turn, not slide smoothly into the turn shape *you* want to make.

Can you ski those skis offpiste? Of course. And skiing in a traditional bouncy short swings manner down an open powder field without obstacles and terrain features they'll be just fine if you're a good enough skier. Like the ski instructors in those old ads from the 80s wink But those open and easily accessible meadows will be tracked within hours of lifts opening these days.

But they won't help you unlock the more surfy and playful style and feeling that makes powder skiing the most fun skiing there is.

To do that, in my opinion, you need:

1. At *least* 100mm underfoot, preferably 110mm+
2. Healthy amounts of tip AND tail rocker
3. Tip and tail taper
4. Not a super small aggressive turn radius (though that can be offset by tip/tail taper)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was about to type something similar to @clarky999, just not as well put.

This is not a decision we can make for you......and your choice may depend on how well you manage/enjoy skiing Off Piste, on a more Piste orientated ski.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Powder Pete wrote:
Any thoughts on the Stockli laser AR or AX

Piste ski. You will hate it off piste
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999,save that up for future questions, very well put!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
Powder Pete wrote:

Well that settles that then. I currently hate my 68mm Atomics off piste and the laser ARs are 15mm more at 83mm. The stormrider 88 aren't much wider either. How big do I need to go to enjoy it is what i'm left wondering.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Powder Pete wrote:

Well that settles that then. I currently hate my 68mm Atomics off piste and the laser ARs are 15mm more at 83mm. The stormrider 88 aren't much wider either. How big do I need to go to enjoy it is what i'm left wondering.

This thread is going round in circles.

You need to make up your mind, as to whether you want a ski to do it all and thus compromising on everything - in which case I'd be looking at around 95 under foot; or a much more dedicated Off Piste ski (see Clarky999's post).
snow conditions
Powder Pete wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Powder Pete wrote:

Totally different construction. Read the posts above
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Powder Pete wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Powder Pete wrote:

The Stormrider are totally different to the ARs in terms of construction or they are both totally different than my atomics?

I think what i'll end up doing is getting the Stockli 95 and hope I don't regret not get a 88 or 100mm ski.

Then something like a K2 mindbender 116 / Enforcer 115 / Bent Chetler 120. Then i've got 70mm, 95mm and 115mm - quite a nice spacing and versatile quiver. If the all mountain prove to be good on piste might ditch the redsters or just keep the for training development.

Piste - All mountain - Powder
snow conditions
Does it matter what bindings I get for the 95 stormrider? Squire 11 / Griffon 13 / Atomic Warden 13 / Tyrolia Attack 13 or 16 / Look Pivot / Salomon? Are they all pretty much the same. I ski an 8.5 DIN at the moment which falls within the range of all of them. Are they more durable as the price goes up? Are some easier to get on in powder? Do some offer improved ski feel?
snow conditions
@Powder Pete, Do you think that you will get into any touring? Sometimes you can get great lines but you might have to skin out at the bottom, or indeed skin up to get to more places to get fresh lines. Myself, I use a 120 Bent Chetler with a frame binding for most of my off piste skiing in Austria, ok for touring but feels more like an alpine binding for the skiing.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Powder Pete wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Powder Pete wrote:

DOn't mean to be pedantic but I think it is the shape/design more than the construction that is different? Think all Stocklis are constructed in a similar way?
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Powder Pete wrote:

You need to make up your mind, as to whether you want a ski to do it all and thus compromising on everything - in which case I'd be looking at around 95 under foot; or a much more dedicated Off Piste ski (see Clarky999's post).

Correct. Clarky absolutely nails the criteria for a pure soft snow ski but if the OP still wants a ski for both firm pistes and powder days then the optimal compromise is IMO about 95mm, some traditional side cut and camber but with significant tip rocker and a flatter tail than a piste ski.
latest report
jedster wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Powder Pete wrote:

Correct. Clarky absolutely nails the criteria for a pure soft snow ski but if the OP still wants a ski for both firm pistes and powder days then the optimal compromise is IMO about 95mm, some traditional side cut and camber but with significant tip rocker and a flatter tail than a piste ski.

Doesn't that last description completely call for the attributes of a Kastlé FX 95/96? Very Happy one of the finest skis of its type to cover the OP demands.

Also leaves plenty of headroom for a pure powder ski to be fitted in significantly above, making a two ski quiver with very different characteristics to enjoy.
latest report
Powder Pete wrote:
Does it matter what bindings I get for the 95 stormrider? Squire 11 / Griffon 13 / Atomic Warden 13 / Tyrolia Attack 13 or 16 / Look Pivot / Salomon? Are they all pretty much the same. I ski an 8.5 DIN at the moment which falls within the range of all of them. Are they more durable as the price goes up?

The Squire is mostly plastic and I have broken one. I don't recall ever breaking a binding before in ~? 1,300 days skiing. But they are a bit lighter than the more metal-ised Griffon.

Quote:
Are some easier to get on in powder?
Probably. Is this really a criteria? Could we perhaps be overthinking things?

Quote:
Do some offer improved ski feel?
Good lord, if you are sensitive enough to find your bindings materially affecting the ski feel you don't need any advice from on here.
snow conditions
Just to throw in my experience as it might be helpful. I've been skiing for 20 years, a couple of times a year if I'm lucky. I like to think about what I'm doing and work on technique on and off piste. I've done a bit of guided off piste, but not loads. I've also spent 4 weeks in Hokkaido skiing deep powder. I'd call myself an intermediate.

I first got into off piste skiing on a pair of 98mm waist full camber twin tip Rossignol S5. It was fun, but hard work - the tips wanted to dive and I had to be very careful with fore aft balance. I skied them everywhere - they carved OK and they handled mixed conditions reasonably well.

I then bought a pair of K2 remedy 112 for a trip to Hokkaido as it was way cheaper than renting. They are 112mm in the waist, have a lot of tip and tail rocker and very little camber. They are also very soft. They were a dream in deep powder for me - effortless to ski, and easy to pivot/slash in tight spots. They are usable and fun on piste, but they chatter, rattle and lose the edge from time to time when conditions are firm. They had Marker Squire bindings which were fine, although I only used them for 2 weeks so can't comment on their durability. I later swapped them for Marker Baron frame bindings, which feel sturdier, but are heavy. On reflection, I probably should have just left the squires on and got more dedicated uphill skis.

Last season I decided to buy a do it all ski, given that I generally ski a couple of weeks a year in Europe and don't really have the luxury of choosing conditions. I went for a pair of Atomic Vantage 100cti - they have significant tip rocker, not a lot of camber, a wee bit of tail rocker, a reasonably stiff construction with metal layer and a fairly significant side cut with a medium turn radius. A true best (or worst) of all worlds option. We had good conditions for the first week I took them out, with very low temperatures and recent snowfall from the week before. The pistes were grippy but with a bit of give and the off piste was mostly soft chop, but with pockets of boot deep powder and occasional wind blown crusty patches. The skis did exactly what I had hoped - they locked into a turn on piste with very limited chatter and could be bent into shorter or longer radiuses. They were drastically better on piste than the soft K2s. In mixed off piste conditions they were excellent. It was a bit trickier to pivot them round than the K2s, but their float was far superior to the similar width but traditional camber Rossignols. We spent some time with a guide who found us a few untracked open faces and it was a joy to carve big arcs at speed through boot deep powder. I haven't yet skied them on rock solid pistes or neck deep powder, but where I ski in Europe I have rarely encountered either. For me it's a good compromise for what I ski most of the time. I'll bring the K2s if the forecast says it's going to dump all week, and if its going to be rock solid ice I'll probably leave my skis at home and rent something more suitable.
latest report
@element, Good post....The only thing I disagree with, is that you sound a lot better than an Intermediate - But humility is OK in my book.
latest report
My favorites in this category:

SR 95, expensive but very versatile
Rossi Experience 94TI on the easy and fun side
Mantra M5
Kore 93
Black Crows Camox

From what I read I would rather recommend the Experience 94Ti
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, thanks, I've learned humility the hard way at several particularly notable points in my 20 year ski career - I'm sure you can empathise. My ski friends like to remind me of those notable points at every opportunity Laughing
snow report
@element thanks very much for your detailed input! Sounds like the 95-100mm is working great for you as a do it all ski. The 110+ might be nice when I get the chance for a 3rd set of skis but really if the 95-100 will do a great job off the piste then I probably wouldn't find myself using them all that much just because of their lack of piste performance and that fact that I probably wouldn't be doing pure powder days often. I suppose it will give me a chance to work on my off piste technique too - making it much easier than my current skis but without making it too easy like the fat skis.

@proskilab I do here from a few people that Rossignols are nice and compliant skis across the range suiting upper intermediate to advanced. A lot of BASI teachers seem to like them. I'll see if I can find a pair of 94Ti's to borrow. I did ski the kore 93s a little bit in the snowdome and they felt right to me - natural and easy. I do hear they're not great for choppy conditions due to the light weight but they are great to manoeuvre. I hear the top sheet won't be durable on them as it's like a fabric. I get the feeling the SR 95 might be very durable in the top sheet against chips and gouges because it's metal but I might be wrong.

Might be wise to get a pair like that first to check i'm happy with that width of all mountain before spending a lot. Would you say the SR95 was more versatile than the 95ti in some ways? I am feeling quite tempted by the SR95s given all the recommendations on here and the reputation of quality and durability. Given i'll be using them 100-150 days a season seems like an investment. If I were skiing a week or two a season - probably not worth it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Powder Pete,

I do about 140 days a year. The Stormriders are worth it. Easily.
latest report
@Powder pete

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 4-12-19 9:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Powder Pete wrote:

@proskilab I do here from a few people that Rossignols are nice and compliant skis across the range suiting upper intermediate to advanced. A lot of BASI teachers seem to like them. I'll see if I can find a pair of 94Ti's to borrow. I did ski the kore 93s a little bit in the snowdome and they felt right to me - natural and easy. I do hear they're not great for choppy conditions due to the light weight but they are great to manoeuvre. I hear the top sheet won't be durable on them as it's like a fabric. I get the feeling the SR 95 might be very durable in the top sheet against chips and gouges because it's metal but I might be wrong.

Might be wise to get a pair like that first to check i'm happy with that width of all mountain before spending a lot. Would you say the SR95 was more versatile than the 95ti in some ways? I am feeling quite tempted by the SR95s given all the recommendations on here and the reputation of quality and durability. Given i'll be using them 100-150 days a season seems like an investment. If I were skiing a week or two a season - probably not worth it.

@Powder pete

It is difficult to compare the SR95 and the 94Ti. They are so different. What I like in the Stormrider is a soft tip and stiffer tail. The ski is easy to engage in turns in all conditions and a little pressure on the heel makes it grippy when needed. The ability to absorb terrain is outstanding. It is a great ski to go everywhere : powder, crud, hardpack, crust, slush, etc.

The Rossignol 94 Ti is a more balanced, conventional ski, intuitive and fun.

I don't know about durability. The Stormrider 95 may have a lead though : it is swiss-made and the top sheet is made in Titanal (actually there is no top sheet as such) which should make it very durable, of course.

You should try both ...in the mountains. Personally, I wouldn't trust the snowdomes for testing skis I want to buy : the snow is very different, slopes are flat and it is difficult to get decent speeds.
latest report
I'd certainly not try to discourage anyone from buying the Stokli 95SR, really great skis and I've always liked big twin tips.

The "Titanal" top sheet doesn't really offer anything by way of resistance to cosmetic degrading though. It's only a high strength aluminium alloy after all.

The trademark or identifier is designed to allude to Titanium it would seem, in which they appear to have produced an amalgam of that and Aluminium to produce a trademark mashup that sounds more technical that it is. Value in promotional terms from PR appears to be the marketing USP they all crave.

Nothing wrong with it as a material though, just it's use in advertising is amusing. They could also write "polyester resin" in the same vein, but it sounds nothing like as promotable, even though it's performance is absolutely core to bonding all the relevant materials together to produce a ski.

On that slant though, the Stokli are superbly built with a long term structural integrity the envy of many, as such they are a good longer term ownership proposition.
snow conditions
ski3 wrote:
I'd certainly not try to discourage anyone from buying the Stokli 95SR, really great skis and I've always liked big twin tips.

The "Titanal" top sheet doesn't really offer anything by way of resistance to cosmetic degrading though. It's only a high strength aluminium alloy after all.

The trademark or identifier is designed to allude to Titanium it would seem, in which they appear to have produced an amalgam of that and Aluminium to produce a trademark mashup that sounds more technical that it is. Value in promotional terms from PR appears to be the marketing USP they all crave.

Nothing wrong with it as a material though, just it's use in advertising is amusing. They could also write "polyester resin" in the same vein, but it sounds nothing like as promotable, even though it's performance is absolutely core to bonding all the relevant materials together to produce a ski.

On that slant though, the Stokli are superbly built with a long term structural integrity the envy of many, as such they are a good longer term ownership proposition.

Perfectly right.

What brands call abusively "Titanium" is actually "Titanal" a commercial name for an alloy of aluminium and zinc (plus other few materials) produced by an Austrian company. If it sounds much less "hi-tech" than "Titanium", we must note that this specific alloy has excellent mechanical properties.

Having reviewed a lot of skis with Proskilab pro testers, including models with/without Titanal, I can tell that a "Titanal" plate improves significantly the ski behavior.
ski holidays
@proskilab, yes it's just my sniggering at the representation of it that "suggests" it's in any way Titanium to give it that caché and technical high performance buzz.

Chatting with a metallurgist about it and origins of this alloy development path. Coming from Hiduminium "High duty Aluminium" used in Spitfire production some time ago, begat engineering identification of "Duralumin" as a specific high strength aluminium alloy, ultimately used in Concorde the skin of which is machined on its inside to produce integrated skin/internal ribbing along with such high material performance.

Most aircraft fuselage are of it nowadays.

Although the Boeing Dreamliner and it's followers are moving now more to a ski like construction with composites as principal structure, ironically. That polyester resin performance becomes even more important there, but also shows the shear scope of something so simple.

Noticed that the Kastlé FX96HP is moving back toward composite structure too. Would that make it marketable as a Kastlé Dreamliner Toofy Grin ?

All interesting stuff, fascinating to see how the ski manufacturers pack so much feel, response, differences into such a thin profile. We are lucky to have such a wide choice.
ski holidays
A two-ski quiver consisting of Kaestle MX84 (or older 83) plus a forgiving, surfy, genuinely wide ski like the Rossis might do the trick. The Kaestles are a true go-anywhere ski, impeccable mix of power and all-day ease on groomers and ice – as powerful as a race ski but much less tiring – and perfectly capable off-piste. You wouldn't deliberately choose them for a powder day, obviously, but if you're teaching and skiing mixed conditions and end up off-piste at various points during your day, it wouldn't be disastrous. I've used the 83 a lot but not the newer 84, which is widely considered to be even better.
snow report
@Powder Pete, line sick days for sale... https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149671&highlight=&sid=635ae6caf8e5922e2ffd438b3e5e8166

Fwiw I wouldn't pull the trigger on the Stormrider 95s. Probably awesome skis, i wouldn't know, but they're trying to be a solution to another problem you've got and that's thst the G9s aren't suitable for your daily use. I have tried out the G9s and I found them to be heavy and fairly non-compliant at low speeds making a variety of turn shapes. Having said that, you do see a lot of instructors on skis with a racing pedigree, why I don't know, because they can maybe? But I wouldn't be looking to teach beginners on these.

If you were to buy a mid to high 70s wide ski for instruction and general play, e.g Stockli Laser AX if you're keen on the brand or Rossignol All Turn or Head, Fischer, Dynastar, Salomon, Nordica, Volkl etc all have well regarded skis in this neck of the woods. The Kastle MX84, as recommended above, has a ridiculously wide performance window.

Then you wouldn't need to compromise on a sub 100 wide all-rounder and could get something powder specific, giving you two pairs of skis that fit your requirements rather than two that don't quite. Plenty of people on here flogging stuff....
snow conditions
@Jake_Statham Haha everyone is recommending the most expensive skis. Not that i'm averse to buying them. Which Rossis were you referring to?

One major thing i'm finding in the current chalky concrete like off piste that i've found in Saalbach at the moment is that it just wants to grab my skis and force them where I don't want them to go. My skis grip it so hard and won't let go easily. Is that to do with not having a big 20+ radius as well as a wider ski and applying too much angle?

84 is very much on the narrow side for all mountain isn't it? It does sound great on piste which i'll really enjoy but I do already have a very good piste ski. I saw this in a review on skiessentials:

"Even though the 84 mm waist width is relatively wide compared to traditional carving skis, it’s still best in groomed terrain. Those who want a more versatile ski for off-piste scenarios may want to jump over to the FX line which uses tip and tail rocker and early taper. The design of the MX 84 is rooted in responsive performance on firm snow. “It is a great ski for high performance skiers that miss having just a full camber ski that offers awesome rebound out of each turn.” Rockered skis just can’t compare to the energy and spring out of a turn when on a cambered ski."

Ridiculously wide performance window is what i'm looking for though. The head piste skis do have a reassuringly massive tips i've noticed. They seem like they'd be decent off piste even just looking at them. I'll head into intersport kaprun in the next few days. See what they've got.
ski holidays
Riccardo wrote:
@Powder Pete, line sick days for sale... https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149671&highlight=&sid=635ae6caf8e5922e2ffd438b3e5e8166

Fwiw I wouldn't pull the trigger on the Stormrider 95s. Probably awesome skis, i wouldn't know, but they're trying to be a solution to another problem you've got and that's thst the G9s aren't suitable for your daily use. I have tried out the G9s and I found them to be heavy and fairly non-compliant at low speeds making a variety of turn shapes. Having said that, you do see a lot of instructors on skis with a racing pedigree, why I don't know, because they can maybe? But I wouldn't be looking to teach beginners on these.

If you were to buy a mid to high 70s wide ski for instruction and general play, e.g Stockli Laser AX if you're keen on the brand or Rossignol All Turn or Head, Fischer, Dynastar, Salomon, Nordica, Volkl etc all have well regarded skis in this neck of the woods. The Kastle MX84, as recommended above, has a ridiculously wide performance window.

Then you wouldn't need to compromise on a sub 100 wide all-rounder and could get something powder specific, giving you two pairs of skis that fit your requirements rather than two that don't quite. Plenty of people on here flogging stuff....

Yes they are pretty heavy and don't like slow speeds. I do love the energy and rebound they have though in the turn. Feels very forceful and powerful If I could find something like that but that required less effort and could also do it at slower speeds that would be cool for a frontside ski.

Being back on the snow again for the past week has given me a bit more insight. For now I think i'll mostly just be skiing side piste on whatever ski I choose rather than doing powder skiing specific days. Probably 70/30 on / off at maximum. I'd also quite like the ski to help me improve my powder technique but in a forgiving way rather than just mask my inadequacies by surfing on top of it. I do really love carving up the piste more than anything with excursions off to the side or under lifts when I want to mix it up. Realistically probably won't be in much deeper than 15-20 inches that often.
ski holidays
There's some deals on last iteration of these https://www.speck-sports.com/en/men-s-skis-packs/20681-kaestle-fx-95-hp-the-sword-k-12-cti-pro.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh92v1ceq5gIVibbtCh0ZcgHlEAQYAyABEgIxUvD_BwE which brings them into cost range competitive with others.
ski holidays
@Powder Pete, 70/30 on piste I’d be skiing something about 80mm personally if not mid 70s. It will improve your off piste technique much more than 100mm skis for 70% piste skiing!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy