Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche Course Recommendation (Chamonix or Nearby)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks,

Has anyone a recommendation for an avalanche safety course in or within an hour of Chamonix? I'll be there for the season and my goal is to gain enough knowledge to go touring and off piste without a guide in a safe way.

I have lots of experience doing many guided weeks of off piste and touring, in which usually 1/2 day per trip is dedicated to beacon search practice. The guides also usually impart lots of their knowledge, talking about conditions, snowpack and risks and pointing out observations. In addition to that I have read some books.
Of course though we always rely on the guides' decision making, and rarely had to rely on my own decision making.

I see that Chamex run the AIARE certification both level 1 and level 2 https://www.chamex.com/trip_courses/aiare-level-1-chamonix, which is a 3 day course and gives you a certification for 600 euro per course.

And also avalanche academy have Avalanche Foundation & Avalanche Progression 1 day each, http://www.avalancheacademy.com/courses.asp which are 100 gbp per day.

Does anyone have any experience of these courses or others?
Is the certification worth the extra cost? Or is it better investment to pay for a guide to teach me?
The actual certification means nothing to be, just whether I would learn more on that course.

Any advice appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://avalanchegeeks.com/

Highly recommended - Bruce & Mike are great guys and know their stuff. The only challenge might be getting booked on to a course...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done multiple days with Avalanche Academy - I try to do at least one every winter. Each time it has been excellent, and one of the best days I've had out on the mountain. Top notch guides, very educational and interesting, and fun skiing.

They also do free talks each week at the start of the season if you want to try those, and see how you feel about the team. Or just to meet people and get a reminder of key points/find out latest conditions:

Quote:
Heading to #Chamonix this winter ? Then why not check out our free avalanche awareness presentations ? Monday nights at the #Bighorn Bar. Numbers are limited so please book your spaces in advance here: https://tinyurl.com/y583taq4
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve done the avalanche academy one and would recommend it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks! Yeah those talks look like a good idea I already signed up for one.
Cheers for the recommendation for avalanche academy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@alice8217, if you fancy a little light reading I would recommend.
Bruce Tremper
Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers @jbob, already have it, working my way through!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Avalanche Academy. They do great crevasse rescue courses too, which you'll need for lots of the tours around the Chamonix valley...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another endorsement for Bruce Tremper, terrific reading.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy