Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to buy snowchains Munich to Obertauern?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going from Munich yo Obertauern via Salzburg (stopping one night for the Christmas markets). Car rental price is 90 eur for chains. Where will I have a good chance to get a good price and a decent range of sizes?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sugardaddy, Globus at Freilassing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you really need snow chains? The car will come with winter tyres and the number of times you need snow chains on normal roads are very few indeed, maybe on the road up to (or more likely down from) the Tauern pass if there has been a huge snow storm. I know that they ended up being helpful in some places during the snowmageddon episode last January but that was a once in 30 years occurrence. Even then I drove to Davos from St Anton at the height of the storm on mostly snow bound roads, no chains needed and those that had them just ended up getting in the way as they faffed around blocking the road trying to put them on!

If you are dead set on getting some then your best bet would be around Salzburg or one of the towns just off the Tauern autobahn before you turn off for the pass (they are absolutely no use on the autobahn from Munich). Folk in the mountains do have them for use on tracks or maybe access on a steep driveway. Look up OBI - obi.at (like B&Q) there should be a branch locator probably called "Marktfinder", chains are called "Schneekette".

More useful is likely to be snow clearing stuff and a shovel. The police take a dim view of cars driving along shedding piles of uncleared snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queenie pretty please, thanks
@munich_irish, next Saturday looks a bit snowy. With small kids I'd rather err on the safe side
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another thing with snow chains, in all the mountain roads I've driven on there are not many places to pull in to put them on, a good way to get run over or cause a traffic jam.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why is it so expensive to hire snow chains? I was looking at prices for Feb half term, our car hire is only €200 for a week but they want another €120 for snowchains!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I guess it's a good earner as an add on at the desk.
Clerk : are you going to the mountains?
Customer : yes
Clerk: The forecast is snowy. The police might not let you up to the resort, and it will dangerous without chains
Customer: errr, ok
Clerk: just sign on the screen
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sugardaddy wrote:
I guess it's a good earner as an add on at the desk.
Clerk : are you going to the mountains?
Customer : yes
Clerk: The forecast is snowy. The police might not let you up to the resort, and it will dangerous without chains
Customer: errr, ok
Clerk: just sign on the screen

Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are concerned far better to hire a 4x4, a lot less faff, works better and is safer. The usual thing in Austria if there is a restriction (not common) is either 4x4 or snow chains, rarely it is 4x4 / snow chains uphill and snow chains only downhill but that will only be for short periods until they clear the road. The best place to check if there are any restrictions is https://www.oeamtc.at/verkehrsservice/# , there will be a blue disk with a wheel if there are any restrictions or a red circle with white inside if the road is closed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy