Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you update me please

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, although I started skiing at 10 years old and have skied a lot in my life its been probably 10 years since I bought a pair pf skis and probably 6 years since I skied abroad, I have noticed that more people seem to wear helmets nowadays and the design of skis seems to have changed a bit. I am taking my 2 x 7 year old boys to La Plagne in February and just wanted to catch up really, I am thinking of getting them into ski school although one of my boys has hypermobile joints so I am concerned about him, also he hasn't shown much intertest in skiing whereas my other boy loves to stand on the back of my skis when we get snow here in Blighty so I have high hopes for him.
I am really after a catch up, what's new? and any recommendations for getting the kids going both here in the UK (I have avoided taking them to SD at Tamworth or the other place at MK, mainly because they are a waste of time and money I think) and in La Plagne?
How are the new skis? last set of skis I bought were Volkl unlimited AC3 skis, really like to hear what the new designs are like. I always tend to struggle when buying skis as a lot of places don't do a try before buy, sport 2000 in Bourg Saint Maurice used to which was cool but most hire shops just used to seem to have a very small range of skis, and normally cheapies as they trash them (although I did hire a pair of awesome Atomic skis in Austria once).
Thanks for your time, sorry to be a pain...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If your kids have never skied then a snowdome would be an ideal place to take them in advance. Will mean they don't need the absolute beginners class on holiday. Can't really see a downside. Many of the domes have retail shops attached that will let you trial skis as well. That will kill two birds with one stone. I would not dismiss using a dome pre trip , in fact I would consider it a huge benefit.

Plenty ski reviews on the net to let you know what type of ski to be looking at for your type of skiing. I've just added a second pair to my quiver and will be heading to a fridge with them tomorrow.

Then we can start talking about boots.......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

noticed that more people seem to wear helmets

Yeah. It's a thing. Some ski schools insist on for kids.

Quote:

design of skis seems to have changed

So the Marketing Department would have you believe. On piste, in reality, not so much.

Some people like snowdomes. Obviously.

Quote:

a lot of places don't do a try before buy

I am surprised. Any shop I've used does so. That's admittedly not much help to you! I don't know La Plagne but I sure there would be a number of shops with good broad ranges who'd let you test a few pairs. MInd you, if you aren't using them several weeks a year, rental is probably the way forward.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skis have become (and I generalise a bit), lighter, more shaped, have greater more torsional stiffness...With Freeride Skis becoming much wider with designs that make Off Piste easier. All Mountain Skis have become more versatile.

Re Ski Schools for the kids: The likes of New Gen would be be the best, but more expensive. Personally, I would avoid the ESF.

EVO 2 are a good compromise.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Old Fartbag, Nothing I've skied has become lighter ... but what does that matter anyway as they're usually on the ground, no? wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

MInd you, if you aren't using them several weeks a year, rental is probably the way forward.

This. Rental shops will have skis which can ski better than you can, unless you're a ski god! My son is a terrific skier and spent one season on old skis which had been left behind - deliberately - by a guest who had stayed in the chalet where he was the chef. One of them fell apart one day when he was skiing on the Grande Motte in Tignes (binding parted company from the ski, leading to an enormous crash). He had to ski back to the bottom of Val d'Isere on one ski - though he did have to swap legs, and said he found the mogulled stretches challenging.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Nothing I've skied has become lighter ... but what does that matter anyway as they're usually on the ground, no? wink

You only think that. Toofy Grin

Companies are constantly introducing stronger, lighter materials to keep weight down, like Graphene and Titanal.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, My 1997 Rossi 7SKs (203) are way lighter than my Bonafides (173)... and funkier colours.

Graphene and Titanal have been buzzwords since I could read.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, My 1997 Rossi 7SKs (203) are way lighter than my Bonafides (173)... and funkier colours.

Which have the greater surface area?

A better comparison would be following the trends of modern skis. The trend is for lighter, yet stronger.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Old Fartbag, Hmmm, calculator time,

roughly

7SKs 0.14m2

Bons 0.17m2

I remain unconvinced about your ski weight argument - manufacturers would be all over it if it was a thing. Just as they actually are about boots. Which are most definitely lighter.

@pika1971, that's a point, boot tech has changed a lot and for the better. If you are upgrading, that might well be something to look at.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Hmmm, calculator time,

roughly

7SKs 0.14m2

Bons 0.17m2

I remain unconvinced about your ski weight argument - manufacturers would be all over it if it was a thing. Just as they actually are about boots. Which are most definitely lighter.

@pika1971, that's a point, boot tech has changed a lot and for the better. If you are upgrading, that might well be something to look at.

Blizzard Bonafides were made lighter in 2016 with the introduction of Carbon Tips and Tails to reduce the swing weight. IIRC The same was done to the Brahma the year before.

Head have introduced the Kore range, using Graphene.

"Graphene, a ‘super’ material discovered at Manchester University, is a one atom thick layer of carbon atoms. Doesn’t sound like something one atom thick can make that much difference to a ski? Head have been using this material to great success in their women’s Joy range of skis for a while now. They also use it in their Worldcup Rebel, Monster, Instinct and their superb new Kore range of skis; it is not a fad."

Ps. Graphene was only discovered in 2004, so that means you haven't been reading very long! Razz
https://www.outsideonline.com/1929991/graphene-material-future
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Fartbag, I knew you would pick me up on the graphene thing, but deliberately led you into it wink Seriously though, we're down to basic engineering, if you want rigidity (whatever axis) you need beefy materials. The K in my 7SKs is, f'rinstance, kevlar.

I don't see skis getting lighter and anyway, although perhaps more to the point, much or most of the weight is the bindings.

My Bonafides + Squire 11s are lighter than my Mantra+Barons as the Squires are mostly plastic and themselves are much lighter.

Mind you, I have already broken one and will be back to mostly metal next time. The breakage happened just as the group were about to depart piste and head off on a rather long and completely out of bounds descent. A binding breakage halfway down that would have involved a helicopter which would have been somewhat embarrassing Embarassed
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, Another example of what I'm talking about:

Volkl: More performance AND less weight? Impossible. Right? No, it‘s not! And the exclusive V.WERKS High Tech line delivers the best proof to the contrary. It demonstrates in impressive fashion just what technology can achieve right now.

This custom series focuses on revolutionary designs that trim every possible gram, which means exclusive use of expensive materials like carbon, aramids and Titanal. Trailblazing engineering and cutting-edge production methods together result in an extremely lightweight ski brimming with world-class performance capabilities without sacrificing even a hint of stability or durability. The construction and ultra-flat design translates into a fantastic edge grip and lightning-fast responsiveness, so there are absolutely no limits placed on highly athletic, varied skiing.

V.WERKS technology and the revolutionary 3D.Ridge construction are features unique to VÖLKL and found nowhere else in series production – with Made in Germany quality! It makes all V.WERKS models into lightweight high-performance skis that catapult dedicated skiers to the next level.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag, aimed at the "all mountain" skier. I think we will just have to cordially disagree on this one.

P.S.

Current M5 Mantra 2,060g

V.Werks Mantra 1,680g

Not a startling difference...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, aimed at the "all mountain" skier. I think we will just have to cordially disagree on this one.

P.S.

Current M5 Mantra 2,060g

V.Werks Mantra 1,680g

Not a startling difference...

I said skis were getting lighter - Not "Startlingly lighter". Toofy Grin
latest report
Thanks everyone for the advice, I might consider a lesson for the kids in the UK then, when I was their age we used to get taken to Gloucester dry slope a few times before we went abroad each year, I remember thinking how much easier skiing on real snow on a mountain was when we got abroad compared to the dry slope.

I take in board the buying new kit stuff, the last pair of skis I bought were for a full season in the Alps so I got to try a few pairs before I decided what I wanted. I have always used Tecnica race boots as I’m a big guy with wide feet but fancy updating maybe to the Atomic Hawk Magna [url=] https://shop.atomic.com/en-gb/products/hawx-magna-130-s-ae0001176.html[/url] they sound like a good place to start, and maybe see what happens with the skis.
snow conditions
@pika1971, if there's a dry slope that's more conveniant to you than a dome, don't discount it. Private lessons on a dry slope can often be very little more than group lessons in a dome, especially if it's a private for 2 as opposed to 2 lots of the group lesson price. They will learn more in a private than a group.
ski holidays
Hi everyone, it’s been a busy couple of weeks, been to try new boots a couple of times and ended up buying a pair of Atomic boots https://shop.atomic.com/en-gb/products/hawx-prime-120-s-ae0001156.html tied the Salomon pro and they felt good but a little sloppy compared to the Atomics and I’m used to Tecnica which the Atomics were similar to but far more comfy, have been to the snowdome and tested them out and please so far. I’m using my Volkl ac3 unlimited skis which although have not been serviced for years are great fun and as I’m sure you’ll understand if you share my frustration with the snowdome that as soon as you hit a couple of turns all you want is a mountain to rip up and you are on the travellator again Confused , skiing is one of my outdoor addictions including canoeing, kayaking ,climbing etc and I’m lucky to work outdoors as an instructor and run my own company https://wyeadventures.com/ so like I’m sure it is for all of us as soon as you hit the slopes you don’t want to stop, before now I’ve been searching for flights back to the mountains on the flight home and with the winters being quiet for canoeing we have plenty of time to scratch that itch. So now although my old Volkls are awesome and have plenty of miles left in them I can’t help but notice how all mountain skis have changed in the past few years and I am really keen to try something wider like the Mantra M5’s or the Kendo 88’s as they look awesome...
The family is really loving the snowdome though, both the boys have had a couple of snowboard lessons and are already at that stage where we are having to explain that they need to learn to control their speed and ride safely as they just want to get let loose and board like they do on their PlayStation. My wife has been snowboarding a few time’s abroad but is enjoying getting some gentle slope time at Tamworth and they have great family membership deals which gets them lessons each week and me a few hours free lift passes so that’s good. Also I noticed online that Ellis Bringham have both the new volkl skis for test at Tamworth too so I’m hoping they may have a sale in January Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
pika1971 wrote:
Hi everyone, it’s been a busy couple of weeks, been to try new boots a couple of times and ended up buying a pair of Atomic boots https://shop.atomic.com/en-gb/products/hawx-prime-120-s-ae0001156.html tied the Salomon pro and they felt good but a little sloppy compared to the Atomics and I’m used to Tecnica which the Atomics were similar to but far more comfy, have been to the snowdome and tested them out and please so far. I’m using my Volkl ac3 unlimited skis which although have not been serviced for years are great fun and as I’m sure you’ll understand if you share my frustration with the snowdome that as soon as you hit a couple of turns all you want is a mountain to rip up and you are on the travellator again Confused , skiing is one of my outdoor addictions including canoeing, kayaking ,climbing etc and I’m lucky to work outdoors as an instructor and run my own company https://wyeadventures.com/ so like I’m sure it is for all of us as soon as you hit the slopes you don’t want to stop, before now I’ve been searching for flights back to the mountains on the flight home and with the winters being quiet for canoeing we have plenty of time to scratch that itch. So now although my old Volkls are awesome and have plenty of miles left in them I can’t help but notice how all mountain skis have changed in the past few years and I am really keen to try something wider like the Mantra M5’s or the Kendo 88’s as they look awesome...
The family is really loving the snowdome though, both the boys have had a couple of snowboard lessons and are already at that stage where we are having to explain that they need to learn to control their speed and ride safely as they just want to get let loose and board like they do on their PlayStation. My wife has been snowboarding a few time’s abroad but is enjoying getting some gentle slope time at Tamworth and they have great family membership deals which gets them lessons each week and me a few hours free lift passes so that’s good. Also I noticed online that Ellis Bringham have both the new volkl skis for test at Tamworth too so I’m hoping they may have a sale in January Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

this must be the longest paragraph yet, unless you know of another!
ski holidays
Paragraphs- overrated Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy