Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for Ski Buddy over New Years in Val d'isere / Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

For the 2020 New Year, I decided to book a solo trip to the French Alps as its been quite the dream since I started skiing (2 seasons ago). I'm 29F, intermediate skier (will go on most groomed blues/reds and some blacks), hailing from New York City. As this trip is solo, I'd like to either meet friends along the way or plan with a couple like minded people! My plan is to fly into Geneva Dec 30, and from there take a bus/shuttle to Val d'isere. Would love to share this with a larger group if possible. I have a place booked in Val d'isere from Dec 30 - Jan 3, then plan on heading back to Geneva, maybe exploring some nearby cities (Bern, Lucerne) before making my way up to Zurich, flying out Jan 7th.

Let me know if any of these places are of interest and you would like to meet up! Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @moneymao, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
There are bound to be other snowHeads in Val d'Isere over new year. I expect they'll make themselves known before long.
In the meantime, pop your details into the snowBuddy which is a quick reference to see where to find snowHeads during the Winter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@moneymao,

Hi,

If you want to meet others to ski with there are a lot of Ski Club of Great Britain members in Val d'isere.

They usually meet from 6.45 to 7.45 in the evening in Bar Alexandra (the ground floor of the Hotel La Galise) very close to the Post Office. They usually gather in the right hand corner next to the bar.

Where have you booked accommodation?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with “welshflyer”the Alex is always a good place to have a beer and meet up with SCGB members..and so is Rosee Blanche for an early apres beer.
We will look out for you..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@lunch mike,

You're not so easy to spot in Rose's.

I'll see you in 4 weeks' time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was actually able to book a last minute spot @Le Refuge de Solaise, which has a mix of fancy dorm rooms. Any one heard of this place? I believe its new (opening in Dec), however downside is, you have to be up the mtn by last chairlift which is 4:30pm.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@moneymao,

Le Refuge de Solaise is new this season. It is not in the Village but up on the mountain.

For many years it was a reasonably priced self service restaurant where the small cable car terminated. Over recent years the self service restaurant was replaced by an expensive waiter service restaurant. This season I thought it became a very expensive hotel. I didn't realise it was dorm rooms.

As you correctly say you have to be up the mountain before they close the lifts. The lift up is the Solaise Gondola which was new last year (it used to be a chairlift). You are therefore completely cut off from the village until the morning. I'm not sure what would happen if they can't open the lifts if the weather is extremely bad.

You obviously can't get to any events or venues in the village after the lifts close.

I won't be in Val d'isere for New Year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Le Refuge de Solaise is a mix of eye wateringly expensive rooms with views down the valley and a dorm room of 20 beds IIRC, which at full price were far from Refuge prices.

The crux will be the other housemates...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chocksaway wrote:
Le Refuge de Solaise is a mix of eye wateringly expensive hotel rooms with views down the valley and a dorm room of 20 beds IIRC, which at full price were far from Refuge prices.

The crux will be the other housemates...
as you are stuck for the night at 2600m or so.

Sounds like another plot for 10 Little Indians
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway,

I heard that the hotel would be one of the most expensive hotels anywhere in the mountains. Or was the claim simply to be highest hotel in the mountains?

It seems to be a very strange combination to have a 20 bed dorm attached to a very expensive hotel. How will they cater for the two levels of guests? It isn't as though the guests can go out to eat or drink.

I must check out their website. I wonder if it's written in Russian?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@welshflyer, my thoughts exactly. As for the highest hotel bit there has been somewhat of a who can pi$$ highest on this one. Their claims have been gradually rebuffed and now nothing is claimed on their very sparse website which has no booking engine.

But through a booking site it is 1200 quid for a double bed in a mixed dormitory for week commencing 4 Jan. Does include breakfast though!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@moneymao,

If you private message me I can give you a couple of places to try for accommodation in the village, unless you can't cancel your current booking.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey ! @moneymao I'm in val d'isere on my own for a week with UCPA. 28 Female, have you booked everything now?

I fly to Geneva on boxing day, then going to spend 2 nights in chamonix before heading to val d'isere to stay with UCPA for a week ... purely because the hotels were ridiculous prices for 2 nights

Megan x
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@moneymao, @MCOOK991, hey where r u stayin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Welcome to snowHeads @hodgey29, snowHead
snow conditions
Hey, I'm snowboarding with UCPA for a week - so wherever they are based .... you ?
latest report
@MCOOK991,

The UCPA in Val d'isere is about 400 metres from the Tourist Office.

The UCPA is off the main road going towards Le Fornet. It is near the Hotel Lores which is the 1st bus stop from the Tourist Office roundabout going towards Le Fornet. The buses (Train Rouge) are free to use.
latest report
hodgey29,

Welcome to Snowheads.

@moneymao &@MCOOK991 tokd us where they were staying before you asked the question... wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy