Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY Waxing - what equipment do I really need?

Poster: A snowHead
We're looking a starting waxing our own skis and board. What's the minimum equipment we need to do this? I'm assuming we can get away with resting the skis/board on some blocks rather than having a vice, as otherwise it would be a lot of stuff to have to lug around - do others do this?

At the moment I'm thinking we need:
    Plexiglass scraper
    Brass brush
    Nylon brush
    Horsehair brush
    Wax

PS. I know about the Piste Office courses, but don't have time to go on one at the moment.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are starting from scratch have a look in Piste Office's online shop at the full kits of tuning kit, even the basic one has all you need to get started and they are good quality tools that will last.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davkt wrote:
If you are starting from scratch have a look in Piste Office's online shop at the full kits of tuning kit, even the basic one has all you need to get started and they are good quality tools that will last.

I had a look at those, but as we're only planning to waxing to start with, and not do the edges, there's quite a lot there we don't need. I'm trying to find out what is the minimum kit we need just for waxing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sugarmoma666, I don't even own a vice, just put skis on newspaper on the floor. I also have a half brass half nylon brush that is fairly light to carry around.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
@sugarmoma666, I don't even own a vice, just put skis on newspaper on the floor. I also have a half brass half nylon brush that is fairly light to carry around.

I saw one like that on the Piste Office. Does it work OK?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep they work fine
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bare minimum is any old iron, barbecue 3 in 1 tool for brush Polish and a bit of straight edge perspex as a scraper.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a Tescos value iron, piece of plexiglass (off cut from a mates workplace) an old stiff nylon brush and a green scotch pad. All in about a tenner excluding wax.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiwax rubs off on the snow within a few hundred feet.

Wax lasts 5-10mins at best.

So, don't go spending a fortune on kit.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85119&highlight=
www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80575&highlight=
www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83945&highlight=
www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93994&highlight=
www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117038&highlight=

I have an ancient flat iron with no steam which works fine for me. I do not use vices, just turn skis upside down on a table. Ski wax tends to be the most expensive item (see threads above for using candle wax instead). Using ski wax remover is a novelty which I do use now, did not in the past. It cleans the base better prior to adding new wax. Deep gouge harder wax (they come in a stick which you light and it is much harder than wax). Nailbrush. Get an edging tool, and use it prior to storing skis or they will rust. I am sure I have other items, but probably best to read the above threads for more informed views.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, I bought myself a wax iron (this one: http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/base-tools/irons-wax-scrapers/demon-dual-voltage-mini-wax-iron_55684bf75b3ba-detail.html), a scraper, combined brass/nylon brush and some wax.

I've just finished waxing my own skis for the first time. Now I just want to try skiing on them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sugarmoma666, ....I do a lot of home tuning, both waxing and edging - sometimes I have 10 pairs to service at once, if we have loads of people staying with us. My standards are high, and I use a toko iron, butta wax, plexiglass scraper, and holmenkol nylon brush, or toko half brass half nylon brush. Of the technique issues, one of the most important and often overlooked is crayoning on the wax before you start - really important otherwise the hot iron is touching the base directly. Also I wax at a far lower temp than recommended, with excellent results, the wax certainly lasting more than the 100 m or so outlined above.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valais2 wrote:
@sugarmoma666, ....I do a lot of home tuning, both waxing and edging - sometimes I have 10 pairs to service at once, if we have loads of people staying with us. My standards are high, and I use a toko iron, butta wax, plexiglass scraper, and holmenkol nylon brush, or toko half brass half nylon brush. Of the technique issues, one of the most important and often overlooked is crayoning on the wax before you start - really important otherwise the hot iron is touching the base directly. Also I wax at a far lower temp than recommended, with excellent results, the wax certainly lasting more than the 100 m or so outlined above.

Do you just crayon the wax or do you drip some on as well? (I'm assuming crayoning is softening the wax a bit with the iron then rubbing it on like a wax crayon?)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Do you just crayon the wax or do you drip some on as well? (I'm assuming crayoning is softening the wax a bit with the iron then rubbing it on like a wax crayon?)

I rub the wax block onto the ski base, then melt \ dab from the iron along the base. After that it's a case of gently melting the wax and spreading it over the bases. I feel the underside of the ski to feel if the heat soak has made it through, a little heat soak is good. Mine is an old £5 iron, so I guage the iron temp by the wax. If the was is smoking, too hot.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sugarmoma666, i have two blocks of wax - butta yellow - on the go. One to rub cold along each ski - hard, leaving wax all over the surface. Then another to hold against the iron to drip enough on to the ski, usually doing about 50 cm sections at a time
ski holidays
I just waxed my skis a few days ago. I had the folding (old wallpapering table) table out, decided it was no use for wallpapering anymore after I had waxed my skis on it several times, so I waxed my skis again. As I do not do it very often, I forget some steps. It might be a good idea for me to write up a checklist, to ensure I do it all each time. This is my start to the checklist

1. Wipe base of skis
2. Spray wax remover on skis
3. Use wax scraper and scrape off old dirty wax
4. Clean off remaining wax remover with a dry cloth
5. Check for any deep gouges which might require some harder wax, and fill with if necessary
6. Use small knife to level deep gouge hard wax prior to adding top wax
7. Melt wax onto ski, using iron on low setting (1 dot on my iron) Drip wax all over base as evenly as possible
8. Smooth wax droppings using iron on very low setting (i.e. heat up dropped wax again, and spread it about)
9. Get wax scraper again and scrape off excess wax, and along the edges to keep edges wax free
10. Use nailbrush over full length of ski to brush wax in line with ski (do not do it so hard it removes wax across the line of ski motion)
11. Rub base with a soft dry cloth to a fine buff
12. Add any additional wax products like "no wax" teflon wax
13. Move on to next ski
14. Clean all the wax off the carpet as best you can
15. Get a knife out, and try to scrape hardened wax off the carpet
16. Try to hide the part of the carpet with wax on it, and remember not to wax skis on carpets

rolling eyes
ski holidays
Not sure if that's 'right'. My understanding is that you shouldn't use wax remover on the skis (only on your tools). Brass brush first which removes old wax and opens up the structure. Plus deep gouges should be filled with ptex, not hard wax.
snow conditions
I think I used ptex. This was the hard wax I was referring to, I did not know there was actually something called hard wax. The additional wax product I used was Zardox, notwax. (just because I had some leftover)

The instructions for the wax remover say you should apply it to the base of the ski, but I suppose you could apply it to the scraper and this might be more efficient and cause less mess. (you would probably use less of it each time)
snow report
Hi @Bigtipper, I think @Themasterpiece means you should only use it to clean your tools (usually at the end), i don't think you would want to use it on the scraper as you go along. I'd use the base cleaner around any area that needs ptex, to give good adhesion, but not on the overall ski/board.
latest report
Yeah, I wouldn't routinely use wax remover to clean the bases. Just clean it up with the brass brush to get any muck out of the structure. If you're not convinced by that a hot scrape (wax with cheap wax and scrape off while still warm) will do - and won't dry the bases out like wax remover.
latest report
Like Tubaski says, just do a hot scrape or two, did this at season end, then another layer as a storage wax with no scraping.
snow conditions
I've being following the Base prep & waxing guide for alpine, free ride & snowboard from Swix. I have most of the equipment from before as we do a lot of XC skiing here in Norway but you just need an iron, scraper and a brush.

If you want to get serious about waxing then read their Racing guide.
ski holidays
I got some vacuum fit vices from Lidl cheap and bolted them to my bench. For waxing I use my kindling chopping log and a workmate. The rest of the tools I get top quality from The Piste Office Toofy Grin Also worth trying is putting Zardoz on under your wax (look it up).

All works fine.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Well, I bought myself a wax iron (this one: http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/base-tools/irons-wax-scrapers/demon-dual-voltage-mini-wax-iron_55684bf75b3ba-detail.html), a scraper, combined brass/nylon brush and some wax.

I've just finished waxing my own skis for the first time. Now I just want to try skiing on them.

Resurrecting and old thread here, but it was me started it so I guess that's OK. Toofy Grin

I never did come back and say what the result of skiing on my freshly waxed skis was. It was utterly terrifying! Shocked They were far slippier than I could have possibly imagined and wanted to go much faster than me. I've got used to that feeling now, and now can't imagine going back to poorly waxed skis.
latest report
@Bigtipper, I read that you should warm the skis or board too, before applying any wax. Not sure how important this is. LOL about the carpet Laughing

It's very satisfying to do your own kit, especially if it's a white-out day and you need something to do before going to the pub.
snow report
@valais2, how important is the crayoning? I don’t wax the skis very often but when I do it’s just drip it on and then iron it in on a nice high heat. Our skis get a lot of abuse and it doesn’t seem to have negatively impacted them - at least not noticeably so eg comparing with friends when gliding on the flat.
latest report
@BobinCH, The crayoning spreads the wax out before you apply heat rather than afterwards, and also gets full coverage with considerably less wastage of wax (wax dry slope skis on a very regular basis so not wasting it is important!). I don't find I need to drip it on at all. Hard dry slope wax needs to be warmed on the iron to crayon it on, soft wax less so.
latest report
I'm not quite as fastidious. For the pre trip wax:

1. Connect phone to speaker system in garage. Select "songs" and "shuffle"
2. Fetch beer from fridge. open. glug.
3. Heat base of ski with iron.
4. light scrape.
5. glug
6. Drip a little wax onto base.
7. Iron
8. scrape while still warm
9. bit more wax on
10. glug
11. scrape. in particular clear the edges.
12. roto-brush for snowing/christmas effect
13. finish beer

repeat for next ski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RobinS wrote:
@BobinCH, The crayoning spreads the wax out before you apply heat rather than afterwards, and also gets full coverage with considerably less wastage of wax (wax dry slope skis on a very regular basis so not wasting it is important!). I don't find I need to drip it on at all. Hard dry slope wax needs to be warmed on the iron to crayon it on, soft wax less so.

+1, also polar-x is so hard you don't want to be scraping more of than you have to.
snow conditions
@musher,
Quote:

+1, also polar-x is so hard you don't want to be scraping more of than you have to.

I don't normally bother scraping Polar-x for the dendix - polish the wax in situ, and the first couple of runs remove the surplus (this does depend on only ironing on the minimum though).
ski holidays
Yes, I scrape but don't brush
ski holidays
I just got my skis out this year, wax looks in fairly OK condition and edges are sharp. Nothing else required at the moment except for a top coat of notwax in the car park.

Obviously, I must have cleaned them prior to storing last time I used them.
snow conditions
@RobinS, @musher, thanks so I understand it’s more about saving wax than damaging bases with overuse of the iron. I give them a decent scrape and cursory brush. Does it really make much difference?
ski holidays
@BobinCH, I originally used the dripping technique and everything was fine - when I switched to crayoning the only difference was less waste and less mess. As far as I can tell once the bases are covered with wax plenty of ironing is good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy