Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowsuit or jacket and trousers for kids?

Poster: A snowHead
Taking my soon-to-be-five year old going skiing for the first time this season. He has absolutely no ski gear whatsoever and we're on quite a tight budget, so I wondered if anyone had any tips for what to look for and where to look?

In particular, I was wondering whether he'd be better off with a snowsuit or a separate jacket and trousers? When we were playing around in the snow here last year I realised he had an uncanny ability to get snow down his clothes, at which point it was game over. I'm desperate to avoid that happening, so leaning towards a snowsuit.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We found Trespass made decent value stuff - and at that age, we went with a Snowsuit.

They usually have outlet shops that are within reasonable driving distance.

A couple of pairs of warm mitts are also essential. We used Ami Chaud, which may not be available any more.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 15-11-19 20:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Definitely a snowsuit. Plenty available second hand, often in charity shops, or borrow from friends. You'll need spares.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did White Rock stuff, who did a jacket and separate salopettes with braces, that then zipped together at the back, so best of both worlds.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So I'd go separate for a couple of reasons....

Toilet breaks and you can wear the jacket separate at other times.

My preference is salopettes as best compromise.

Bright colors help them to be seen on and off the slopes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another vote for separates. Easier for toilet stops and for getting half ready in mornings etc, stopping for lunch. Full snow suit too warm but salopettes can be worn down for breakfast etc.

Plus coat can be worn out on plane at home and so on.

I would look at the Aldi stuff should be I store from tomorrow. My daughter is on her third year of the same jacket amazingly. I bought it a little bit but she has also massively slowed down growing after joining yr 3 as the tallest girl in it she is now letting others catch her up. Laughing. Got her to switch to her sister salopettes for the Oktobertest as they were getting a bit short and she will got to her sister Aldi ski jacket when ready as there is plenty of life left in it.

She has also used the jacket as a school jacket as it is her favourite coat!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
seperates. There will be a language barrier, so the kid may be scared to ask for toilet help if they struggle to get out of a suit.

+ you get to use the jacket for the whole winter
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I spent my first few holidays in snowsuits, aged 4-7. My foggy recollection is that they were excellent.

@Mr.Egg, what language barrier? You just talk slower and louder.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Separates definetly and I'd take a 2nd pair of trousers. Look on EBay that's where I get our kids stuff.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both, playing after school with you has to be in a suit. We ebayed all our stuff, ended up not costing much as you just sell it next year. It doesn't have much ware. Also good waterproof warm boots and two pairs of mitts.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
I spent my first few holidays in snowsuits, aged 4-7. My foggy recollection is that they were excellent.

@Mr.Egg, what language barrier? You just talk slower and louder.

a youngloung might feel afraid or intimidated by someone's accent.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

A good argument for a jacket - in a fit of grandmotherly enthusiasm I bought a very expensive Vaude jacket "Au Vieux Campeur" in Albertville for my 7 year old grand-daughter - a bit big. A Christmas present. She wore it for skiing and school for two solid winters then her younger sister for another two years. Didn't owe us a penny when it went to the charity shop! But there is absolutely no need to buy new stuff - leave that to indulgent grandparents!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Vaude jacket had a zippable out fleece liner - but when I googled Vaude to try to buy another, they weren't to be had.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

But there is absolutely no need to buy new stuff - leave that to indulgent grandparents!

Though with the price of the Aldi ones they really aren’t break the bank territory.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NickyJ wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

But there is absolutely no need to buy new stuff - leave that to indulgent grandparents!

Though with the price of the Aldi ones they really aren’t break the bank territory.

Yeah, that's my thinking. We absolutely cannot afford to be spending three-figure sums on new kit... But the Aldi jacket is £12.99 [not a typo Very Happy].
latest report
pam w wrote:
Definitely a snowsuit. Plenty available second hand, often in charity shops, or borrow from friends. You'll need spares.

I second this. We bought from charity shops and off e-bay all of our kids stuff. It lasts a season at best in terms of growth so with 3 kids we just keep handing it all down and then sell it on or donate.

In terms of 2 piece v 1 piece - for younger kids a 2 piece is better, especially if you are going at Christmas/New Year etc. AS they get older a 2 piece is fine. Our eldest 2 now have jacket and salopetes.
latest report
When my two were younger we found this company:- https://www.surfanic.co.uk/

We had 4 jacket and salpoettes combos from them over the years and all performed really well.

P.s. for full disclosure, we have no link to them what-so-ever, other than being satisfied customers.
snow report
From age 2 / 3 both of ours have had separates - I've never quite got the specific ski / not ski winter coat so they just use ski coats all winter. Granted they get a bit grubby with school etc but you only need to buy one coat. As well as Aldi, we've found Decathlon and Mountain Warehouse really good value and they all last well - if you buy big you may well get 2 seasons out of them!

Definitely 2 pairs of sallopettes though - there's a lot of layers to get off at toilet stops!
snow report
For depths of winter skiing in Finland or Norway my son always has all in one. He gets cold so it goes over base layer, fleece and down jacket but for usually milder Easter skiing he has 2 piece. Agree about the school jacket use as well as skiing. Actually found an all in one by protest in size 152 in a nice camo print so he is still happy to wear it. Getting more choosy about what he will wear these days!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy