Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All season tyres - no need for AutoSocks?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had my summer tyres replaced with all seasons (Crossclimate). Am I correct in thinking I no longer need my AutoSocks for a trip to the Alps?

I've got a set of snow chains as well.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All seasons and chains = you don't need auto socks.

Read a lot of german amazon.de reviews. The one star ratings said on the flats they helped but as soon as the road becomes steeper the wheels spin and the fabric gets shredded.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chains still mandatory requirement - regardless of tyre

That side I've found our All Seasons to work well, so I haven't needed chains yet
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd say so i.e. all-seasons+Chains makes socks redundant:

Disclaimer: THis isn't an official chart, just something I made myself.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
charrison wrote:
I had my summer tyres replaced with all seasons (Crossclimate). Am I correct in thinking I no longer need my AutoSocks for a trip to the Alps?

I've got a set of snow chains as well.

if the road has a b26 sign, then you are legally required to carry chains. Socks are not chains & do not fit in with the legal requirement.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mr.Egg, Some do, in France anyway.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all.

To clarify, I have no plans to get rid of the chains as well, if that's what some thought.

AutoSocks heading to ebay soon...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
However if you use the below make of "Autosocks" rather that the rip off sockalikeys all should be okay if you are planning to go to France, not that, that was the original question. Toofy Grin

http://www.autosock.co.uk/

We've used this Brand of Autosocks for years previously in France and found them tremendous. Used on a Peu 407 and Mazda 6 years ago to get us into rather steep accessed chalets in Meribel and up to various resorts in heavy snow. I have also used them on the wee car back home in Scotland, where loads of folks were stuck, I could stop on the hill, help get them going again and then jump back in and easily pull off on a hill and be on my way. I really rate them, they have never, ever let me down.

Q12: Are AutoSock approved for use in the Alps, where "snow chains" are compulsory?
A: AutoSock have been approved since 2010 for use in France as an alternative to metal snow chains where the B26 snow chain signs require snow chains to be carried.

http://www.autosock.co.uk/faqs/#q12

Having said all this, with the most recent cars, CRV and GLC we have upgraded to snow tyres not because we had issues with the Autosocks but because of the all round safety with changing snow, slush and tarmac on the valley floors in a bid of keep us going safely.

Note: Autosocks are not regulated for use on snow tyres but the questions remains whether they are regulated on crossclimate type of tyres? Anyone?

Therefore if you get stuck with snow tyres/crossclimates, it's a job for your chains. So in a huge long roundabout story, if you have crossclimates and chains, no need to take your socks, except to throw them out the window at the others stuck and blocking the road in their summers Embarassed and holding the rest of us up. Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy