Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Near GVA mid/late April?

Poster: A snowHead
Anywhere still worth it (can only easily get flights to Geneva), and if so where, recommended transfers (don't want to hire car), accommodation
(s/c ideal), etc please. Only place which I know is Cham/Argentiere, and that was for climbing, not skiing.
Can get out anytime after about 6th April, but Easter's the weekend of the 10th so presume might be busy & expensive (?). So was wondering about the later dates in April.
Can get flights on couple of weekdays or, I think, Sunday (not Sat) - at this time of year are there issues with 'changeover days' or could I travel midweek, do a slightly long or short 'week' etc?
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flaine or Avoriaz should still be ok that time of year.

Well for around 6th April, not so much mid to late April.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Always ski the GM inc Flaine at Easter. Easter does not tend to get too busier either, as it's not a big holiday for French families.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Grizzler, Fly to Geneva, train to Bourg st Maurice, bus to Tignes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
book flights after Easter and decide where to go nearer the time?? Trois Vallees is a 2 hour drive from GVA so plenty of options...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks.
Seen another similar thread on the Resorts section: mentioned La Clusaz also, Les Contamines?
I've no experience of French resorts, hence why asking; and hence probably saying something thick also. Research on late snow places also suggest Morzine, Grand Montets, Tignes & Val D'Isere, Zermatt, Cervinia... And is Cham itself still any good?

Guess that the real question's going to be transfer times, costs and availability, so where's best to look for them? Do not want to lug gear around on train & bus: just straight taxi/minibus airport to door & return. Car hire seems pointless if in 1 resort all week - or might there be an advantage (e.g. lack of ski busses?)
(Like the poster on the other thread, I'm just struggling to get April flights to Austria, else would go high there.)
And is the not 7 day (or not standard arrival day) accommodation an issue, or pretty much do I just book flights then find accommodation easily enough?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Contamines tends to stay open a week or two later than the rest of the megeve area. Probably more reliable than port de soleil as well. Safest bet is probably Chamonix and skiing in Grand montets (and whichever resorts are open - le tour tends to stay open longest of the others). If you have been before and like it I would go there. Though as a previous poster suggested it’s easy enough to book the flights and then sort out accommodation and transfers last minute. The season may go on later in other resorts though it’s a bit of a risk to book. I think last year Les Contamines closed around 22nd and GM first few days of May. Though touring options after that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a friend with an apartment in Chamonix who said they sometimes took trips to Les Contamines to find best local snow. Only a relatively small part of the (not v big) Les Contamines domaine is likely to be open if the snow generally is poor. But it is the best part - apart from Veleray which is often closed even in mid winter, because of aspect I guess. And it'll be super-quiet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'm just struggling to get April flights to Austria, else would go high there.

Why? There are 3 flights a day from Birmingham to Innsbruck in April
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Accommodation providers should be flexible in April as it's low season -e.g Pierre et Vacances (do self-catering in the big apartment blocks in many French resorts) will accept any date range by then.

I'm not sure how many shared minibus transfer options will be available by then; you could get a private transfer, but I reckon that'll end up costing noticeably more than a hire car
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When does les conts close? Megeve closing 13th. Why is it so darn hard to find these things on their websites? Idiots!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It’s never known with certainty as it depends on conditions. I would expect Les Contamines to be a week later base on previous years.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My friend and I are heading to La Plagne on the 18th April for a week. Plenty of skiing above 2,000m there. We are staying at Aime La Plagne which is at 2,100m height. Driving out so hopefully the roads will be empty and dry !!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I'm just struggling to get April flights to Austria, else would go high there.

Why? There are 3 flights a day from Birmingham to Innsbruck in April

Lucky folk who live anywhere near Brum, then... Nothing else from out of my northern (English or Scottish) end once the winter charters stop as far as I can see bar GVA.
Just had a quick look on Skyscanner and only 2 very expensive J2 flights left out of out of Man in the whole of the month, and ditto TUI, otherwise nothing direct out at all to INN as far as I can see. And, frankly, I don't want to go out of MAN at all, nor have to drive there - but that's my only other realistic option.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
viv wrote:
I'm not sure how many shared minibus transfer options will be available by then; you could get a private transfer, but I reckon that'll end up costing noticeably more than a hire car

Yes, I just Googled transfers quickly. Not an expert on them, but I found Alpybus, which looked good but offered very little except to Morzine and maybe a couple of others.
ski holidays
Easybus go to Chamonix and are good (and cheap) depending on accommodation (great for Cham Sud area).

Mountain drop-offs and Haute Transfers also good and usually keep going.

Alpybus would normally be my last resort but I am sure they will do the job.
ski holidays
Easybus go to Chamonix and are good (and cheap) depending on accommodation (great for Cham Sud area).

ski holidays
@Grizzler, What about Edinburgh - Innsbruck or even Newcastle - Munich. Not cheep but available.
snow report
@Chamboy, closing is actually known with a degree of certainty, in one direction, as (defined duration) contracts can't (or at least not easily) be extended. Whereas early closing is of course a real possibility.

You are quite right though, Les Contamines closing date 19.4.20 per https://www.lescontamines.com/winter/winter-2019-2020-opening-dates

@Grizzler, no, you are right, direct Innsbruck or Vienna scheduled flights next to non-existent out of the North. Re Transfers, you need to decide (in principal) your destination first then see if you can get a transfer. I don't think there's a clever enough website that let's you reverse that process. Transfers in and out of Chamonix are available all year. No idea about anywhere else.
latest report
@Grizzler, Easyjet Glasgow to Geneva out on Saturday 18th April (09:55-13:15) and back on Saturday 25th April (13:50-15:10). 44 GBP return. Then do the EoSB (self catered, so perfect) and get the lardy bus transfers. Simples Happy.
snow conditions
1. Val d'Isere
2. Val Thorens
3. Les Menuires
4. Verbier
5. Chamonix
snow conditions
Gämsbock wrote:
@Grizzler, Easyjet Glasgow to Geneva out on Saturday 18th April (09:55-13:15) and back on Saturday 25th April (13:50-15:10). 44 GBP return. Then do the EoSB (self catered, so perfect) and get the lardy bus transfers. Simples Happy.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Those flights weren't available when I looked , I'm paying four times as much to drive past Glasgow to get to Edinburgh.
snow report
@Gämsbock, a very good idea which I had not considered (the bash, I mean). Hmmmm....
snow conditions
@Grizzler, Verbier is good in April (as is Zermatt but longer transfer). Resort sits in a sunny bowl so April après in sunshine is fab, and the best skiing is high and North facing so stays good. Easy on the train from Geneva. Stay in Le Chable to keep costs down. The high French resorts should also be good - Tignes / Val Thorens. It’s not busy in April, even over Easter so you should have plenty of good value accommodation options.
latest report
Chamboy wrote:

Why would Alpybus be your last resort? Puzzled
ski holidays
I found them less reliable in terms of time of pick-up, getting lost and number of people (ie the more people on the transfer the more that can go wrong).
latest report
Grizzler wrote:
e after about 6th April, but Easter's the weekend of the 10th so presume might be busy & expensive (?). So was wondering about the later dates in April.

Presumption would generally be wrong. It's not a busy or expensive time despite it being Easter.

As it happens we are looking to go Sunday to Sunday this year. 5th to 12th April. But not expecting too many issues on accommodation as it's a quiet time but we'll see!
ski holidays
Yeah, Easter will be quiet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, I've plumped for the EoSB... Wish me luck! wink
ski holidays
Good thing about Les Contamines is that transfer is easy, the Ouibus (currently rebranding as BlaBlaBus) runs all year. We used it today to return from St Gervais but have also used it out of season. Though I am not sure when they will publish their timetable beyond 4 April.

However it is a small area, and with the sunnier aspect likely to be out of action you may tire of it after a couple of days. Of course if St Gervais/Megeve is still functioning you can take the local bus there for the odd day, as we did this week in the opposite direction.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy