Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zillertal 2019/2020 Snow and Weather

Poster: A snowHead
Hintertux was great on Wednesday this week, gerlos also good pistes Thursday. Friday Eggalm and penken very icy, rastkogel slightly better. Been a great week of sun and no wind.

Also did the ice caves at hintertux was great climbing about in ski boors through ice tunnels under the pistes.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied Kaltenbach and Fugen yesterday. Pistes excellent. Some ice lower down.

Woke up to new snow today. With maybe 10cm at 1800m. Much needed snow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep i think there was about 10cm on the table in rastkogel by 13:00 yesterday. Innsbruck flights diverted to salzburg meant a 12 hour journey home though
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I managed to leave my ski poles in mayrhofen if any kind snowheads are flying back London ish way with some room in a ski bag. With interchangeable powder baskets I'm quite attached to them snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Lost in the trees, sorry I wasn’t staying in the Zillertal this time. If you don’t find a way to retrieve them I am back in March.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First time visit to Mayrhofen, despite a detour flight via Munich instead of Innsbruck which resulted in missing a half day on slopes Saturday, today was great. About a foot or poss 2 of powder fell Saturday/this morning.

Early lift up gave us some turns in powder on piste

75% of day was clear, occasional moments of poor vis, but sun poking it’s head out equally.

Rest of week suggests no snow, but sun about, looking bloody brilliant if you are a piste skier
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just booked 2 weeks in Fugen for Christmas and New Year this year. Have stayed in Mayrhofen and Zell am Ziller before and have visited Fugen on skis but didn't really make the most of it just on the odd day trip.
So it will be nice to try it out properly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any update on conditions in Mayerhofen/Zillertal? I'm heading there next Thursday so hoping for good snow and hoping the sunshine will return.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@donie75, sounds/looks like yesterday was epic. Warmer now so the snow will be consolidating (good for base building/covering). Should be good!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@donie75, next Thursday should be well timed. Should be more fresh snow Tuesday and Wednesday then the sun comes out.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just saw this forecast https://www.bergfex.com/mayrhofen/wetter/berg/
Looks perfect. 60cm of fresh snow on Tuesday/Wednesday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@VolklAttivaS5, where about are you staying?

I was at the Wedelhutte a couple of weeks a go and I noticed they have rooms. We were thinking about staying there for a night some time so you can be first on the mountain.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bennyboy1 wrote:

I was at the Wedelhutte a couple of weeks a go and I noticed they have rooms. We were thinking about staying there for a night some time so you can be first on the mountain.

In the centre a short walk from the Spieljochbahn. €630 for 2 weeks at peak time which is partly why I had it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Bennyboy1 wrote:

In the centre a short walk from the Spieljochbahn. €630 for 2 weeks at peak time which is partly why I had it.

That cheap and close to the Spieljochbahn? Sounds like the apartment above the Kostenzer Ski School?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Oceanic, no not there.
ski holidays
Bennyboy1 wrote:
@Lost in the trees, sorry I wasn’t staying in the Zillertal this time. If you don’t find a way to retrieve them I am back in March.

@bennybpy1 I will message you to see if we can work something out it would be great
snow conditions
Any good snowHead on the ground in Mayrhofen that would be able to let us know what the current conditions are like; looks like Zillertal is only going to get a marginal amount of the snow that is forecast for Western Tyrol this week .....
snow report
@doogo, bergfex showing up to 20cm forecast today.

Is anyone in resort?
snow report
Heavy snow today on web cams Smile
snow conditions
Hi,

I heard there is a lot of people now in Zillertal,bit crowdy on slopes

Is it right ?

Whats the conditions?
snow report
@shashor, other threads on this site have talked about moving holidays from Italy to Austria with the Zillertal being a possibility given proximity to Innsbruck and reasonable altitude of the skiing.

As a result it may be busier than usual at this time of year.
snow report
I was there this time last year and it was really busy for the week so I think it may be the norm. We spent most of the week either at the Tux or further down the valley at Kaltenbach / Zell, which were quieter
latest report
@BAJJ, I am not aware of local holidays. Where were the crowds from?
snow conditions
This week last year was Fasching week which is probably why @BAJJ, found it busy. Fasching is always busy and then the two weeks after Fasching are normally pretty quiet.
Fasching week moves each year.
ski holidays
@SaraJ, of course. Thanks SarahJ. How are the conditions now?
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, In Hochfügen (and to some extent Hochzillertal) snow quality on piste is great. Off piste it depends on the aspect of the slope. There's some amazing snow to be found but also some "interesting" and "challenging" Smile conditions!
There's more snow forecast this weekend and next week but along with high winds, so we'll have to see how it turns out.
ski holidays
Hopefully not too much rain as I'm going out on Monday!!
latest report
@SaraJ, Thanks, Not going to Mayrhofen this year but will have to keep an eye out for 'Fasching week' in the future, I've not heard of this before.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m new to Snowheads (well...any forum!) and Austria. Got a quick 4 skiday trip planned next week staying in Tux-Lanersbach. Any advice for a timid intermediate, and also places to eat/drink in the village, how easy is it to get around etc? TIA
latest report
Thinking about jumping the gun and comig to Mayrhofen later this week - Wed to Sunday. What is the weather like in town, is there snow?
ski holidays
@HappyPlace, welcome to snowheads.

Depending which end of the village you are at you will either be closer to the Eggalmbhan or the Rastkogelbahn. The Eggalm lift takes you only up the Eggalm mountain which is really nice and generally much quieter than the main Mayrhofen area. If you want to link into the rest of the area you need to take the Rastkogelbahn. On Eggalm there are some really nice tree lined runs (blues or reds) incase of poor weather. You can also ski down to the Rastkogelbahn directly from Eggalm so no need to bus. From the top of Rastkogelbahn you can either zigzag up the lifts towards Wanglspitz or ski back down towards Eggalm. I say zigzag because you take a series of chairlifts. From the top of each chair there are either blue or red routes. Once at the top of Wanglspitz the blue 67 into blue 63 is lovely in the sun. Long and easy cruising back down past the Rastkogelbahn. On the map you need to ski skiroute 75 through the trees to get over to Eggalm. I have no idea why this is a ski route as it’s super easy and fully pisted. Not steep. There are a couple of huts on the way down.

Back up to the top of Wanglspitz I wouldn’t recommend skiing red 66 if you are nervous. It’s steep in places and there is a long flat section you need to carry speed. Take the Tux 150 lift down instead. Once at the bottom there are several blue routes off each lift.

I haven’t stayed in Tux so I don’t know any of the places to go in the evening.
ski holidays
How is Hainzenberg in terms of location/proximity to lifts? We found a nice last minute apartment over there there is 6 of us so it works well but wanted to see if its not too disconnected far.
latest report
@pred02, it’s not connected directly to any of the main areas but is less than 10 mins drive to Zillertal arena. I assume the ski bus goes directly. There is not much there at the village/hamlet. Closest large town would be Zell which is across the valley. If you have a car then it would be fine to drive to different areas as you please. But it’s not on the railway so you will be bus or taxi reliant if you don’t have a car.

One prob with the Zillertal arena is that pass from Zell to Gerlos can be closed in high wind. Then you may need to drive to Gerlos (or any of the other resorts in Zillertal) for more km of pistes.
ski holidays
Quote:

@pred02, it’s not connected directly to any of the main areas but is less than 10 mins drive to Zillertal arena. I assume the ski bus goes directly. There is not much there at the village/hamlet. Closest large town would be Zell which is across the valley. If you have a car then it would be fine to drive to different areas as you please. But it’s not on the railway so you will be bus or taxi reliant if you don’t have a car.

Thanks. We have cars but will want to have a few drinks. How far is it by ski bus to the main lift? Is there other area of town you would recommend? What is a good place to find last minute accommodations there?
snow conditions
@pred02, if you want to be close to Mayrhofen then nearer the town itself. I would have thought the tourist board website is your best bet or Booking.com.
ski holidays
Snowbombing cancelled. Massive impact on hoteliers and bars in the town.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy