Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs - Early January

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@skitrack, Jardin Alpin will also allow you to get to the Belevedere piste and hence the Vallandry or Grizzly lifts. Apart from when the bus comes round it must be the least used lift in Les Arcs. I've been on it. Has anyone else?

The Transarc will give you a long, varied run down to Peisey or Vallandry including the interesting bit of Reches and if you wish a real belt down Bellete, but TBH I'd take the Charmetogger (if only I could remember how to Pronounce it.)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnE wrote:
(if only I could remember how to Pronounce it.)
Show Me Todger.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rob@rar, That's what I feared. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnE wrote:
I really don't think that's correct, but once you've seen it you can't unsee it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@LesMiz, welcome to SnowHeads. Great choice, Paradiski, for the different needs of your group.

We have area experts on here, who can answer any question you have, I should think. Well, except ‘what will the snow conditions be?’. Actually that looks very promising already!

A few specific observations from my trips there.

I like the 3 red runs through the trees down to Vallandry. A real blast and especially good on bad visibility days.

The ride across the valley on the Vanoise Express is impressive. Double decker cable car. Glass floor on lower deck if you fancy that.

However...the route back to the the Vanoise Express, returning from La Plagne, whilst not especially steep, can get very icy and busy. Not one for an early intermediate if icy IMO. Even as an experienced skier I take great care down there.

La Plagne has a lot of good intermediate cruising pistes. Great for big distances, building up confidence and improving technique.

For your daring boarder. The long run from the top of the Aiguille Rouge, all the way down to Villaroger, is very good.

+1 for lessons for your early intermediate. If finished late morning, still time to meet up and ski together.

If any days are just too snowy or windy to get on the mountain, the Pool/Leisure complex just above Arcs 1800 is good. A ride down on the Funicular, from Arcs 1600 to Bourg St Maurice, is another diversion. More like a proper town to walk around.

Hopefully all bluebird days with a couple of night time snow top ups. Enjoy!
snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PeakyB wrote:
@LesMiz, welcome to SnowHeads. Great choice, Paradiski, for the different needs of your group.

We have area experts on here, who can answer any question you have, I should think. Well, except ‘what will the snow conditions be?’. Actually that looks very promising already!

Thanks for the welcome! I've already gotten answers to just about everything I could possibly ask.

PeakyB wrote:

The ride across the valley on the Vanoise Express is impressive. Double decker cable car. Glass floor on lower deck if you fancy that.

I'll probably be avoiding the glass floor like the plague Laughing

PeakyB wrote:

La Plagne has a lot of good intermediate cruising pistes. Great for big distances, building up confidence and improving technique.

I'm looking forward to these to refine my carving technique.

PeakyB wrote:

For your daring boarder. The long run from the top of the Aiguille Rouge, all the way down to Villaroger, is very good.

That's at the top of his list... How hard is the alternate red run that weaves down from the same location?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
johnE wrote:
I really don't think that's correct, but once you've seen it you can't unsee it.

Glad I didn't buy an apartment there, now Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair wrote:
@johnE, perhaps we can do Malgovert this season together sometime - there have been warnings on this forum which have rather put me off but I'm up for it if there's someone around to pick me up if it all goes wrong. Very Happy Otherwise, I feel confident that @rob@rar will always be up for it Very Happy .
Sorry for late reply... don't check in much. @Old Fartbag and I took this in Feb when we were left to our own devises. I loved it! Plenty of opportunity to stop and take a moment if needed, but I would avoid doing it on the best skis or if snow levels are low. Also, may be best a day or so after a fresh snow fall as is was when we hit it. Not one to go alone on though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'll probably be avoiding the glass floor like the plague

You don't stand on it. It is a caged off area where you canlean over and peer at the ground below. It is actually much nicer to gaze up the valley.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote=LesMiz]That's at the top of his list... How hard is the alternate red run that weaves down from the same location?[/quote]

Honestly the black is much better, it's only very steep at the top for a short distance and being high up the snow is often pretty good which makes it easier to handle after that it's really more of a red and one of my favourite runs in the alps so don't be worried about it. And as for that steep bit you can take the red path down that bit and join back to the black, it's basically the same run with some slightly more forgiving parts on the steep section.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:

You don't stand on it. It is a caged off area where you canlean over and peer at the ground below. It is actually much nicer to gaze up the valley.

I didn't think so, just the view alone isn't my cup of tea Shocked Shocked

Minion1980 wrote:

Honestly the black is much better, it's only very steep at the top for a short distance and being high up the snow is often pretty good which makes it easier to handle after that it's really more of a red and one of my favourite runs in the alps so don't be worried about it. And as for that steep bit you can take the red path down that bit and join back to the black, it's basically the same run with some slightly more forgiving parts on the steep section.

Interesting... I'm generally comfortable enough with steep sections if they're not too narrow and actually not all that bothered with icy bits as that's what I learned to ski on. But I don't have much experience when it's both steep and bumpy/chopped up. It'll probably be a game-time decision when I'm at the top staring down.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LesMiz, The only bit I find the slightest bit difficult of the black (or red, the piste merge at this point) is after the initial steep bit there is a narrow track that first zigs left then zags right. It always seems stoney and full of nervious beginners. After that the glacier itself is beautifully wide, usually has good snow and is a gentle gradient even for a red. It is made for fast GS turns. At the end of the glacier the routes split, the red (and access to Robert Blanc) goes left and the black goes right down a fairly wide track. I have no idea why it is marked as black. There are many harder red runs in Les Arcs. It may be because from here to Plan Violet, the start of the Droset lift, there can be rather a lot of stones.

From Plan Violet there is the only mogul field on the whole descent, and it is marked as red. There are various routes from there to the bottom. The tiny remaining black option, Solliet, is delightful if it is open, which it is sadly rare.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you search "aiguille rouge Les Arcs" and swap to images in search function, then there are some very good images of there. Some aerial too that show in great detail the peak and piste etc.

It's easily accomplished with reasonable skills and careful approach as its been modified over the years to effectively give safe and planned route down for a wider cross section of skiers now. It was originally quite a "chunky" and altogether more daunting prospect for progressing skiers some time ago.

Also, absolutely fabulous views up there across the whole alpine region. It's very well worth the trip when staying in LA and shouldn't cause any undue fears.

Really though, if you judge for yourself that you don't wish to ski, then it's easy to decend via cable car. Thoroughly worth going though, also for great group pictures at the peak.

As John says, superb skiing down with hugely wide piste to enjoy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree with everything @johnE, @ski3, and others says about the Aiguille Rouge. We are 'annual 1 week family trip' skiers.. ('thou i snowboard) and I have taken my two boys (now 13 and 11) down 'the black', apart from the very top section, for the past 3 trips to LA. (so since the middle son was 8 ) .

This season, i fully anticipate being able to take my youngest 7 year old down it ("seven and A HALF", as he would say rolling eyes ). He will be in Yeti2 lessons with Spirit1950 this year, equivalent to the 2 star in ESF, if that puts any perspective on it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE, @ski3, @Richie_S, thank you all for the information! I'm feeling much more confident about this run now and it would be awesome to have one of the longest runs in the Alps under my belt.

I must have seen an older video because I was under the impression that the top was very chunky, but from what I'm seeing now it looks pretty manageable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy