Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with a 1 year old

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Im looking for some advice on going skiing with a 1 year old. Ive seen a few threads about kids of 3 and up but cant find any for skiing with babies.

So, has anyone any experience of taking really small kids on holiday with them?

Can anyone recommend any resorts that cater well for small children?

The main issue we have is that my wife wants to do some lessons while Im off skiing and so we dont know what to do with the baby while we're both on the mountain. Has anyone used any of the childminding services available?

Also, would people recommend staying in family friendly hotels or just getting an airbnb or similar?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi

We have tried a few variations, first time we took our au pair which was great ( I know some people get grandparents to come) but we have also used resort childcare through esf and Cheeky Monkeys in Morzine. I liked cheeky Monkeys as they were English speakers ( as we don't speak much French so could communicate effectively that our child had asthma etc) and they were great keeping kids entertained. I think they offer half days and full days and were situated very close to the main gondola so very handy to pick up and drop off before and after lessons . We found them pretty flexible but it is a couple of years ago now. We also liked Morzine & les Gets as resorts when with young children, plenty of things to do when not on the mountain etc and close to Geneva so the transfer wasn't long. We also done self catering rather than hotels but we just liked the flexibility that gives you and there were plenty of options near lifts in these resorts as we didn't want to be getting ski buses with small children in tow.

Either way lots of childcare options these days and they don't all break the bank.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@medlington, at that age they're unlikely to be able to do much other than toddle around in the snow for a few minutes at a time, and they'll likely sleep for half of the day. it sounds like the aim of the holiday is for you to ski and your wife to have some lessons, rather than to spend lots of quality time with the baby - so you'll need a full-time childminder from 0900-1600 daily or maybe for less depending on how much time your wife wants to spend in lessons each day. There are many hotels which are set up specifically to deal with this, with childcare included in your package - these tend to be close to the nursery slopes and/or the centre of the resort, so they are convenient but not necessarily cheap.

In terms of resorts, you'll want somewhere which is easy to get around, where you can get back to the hotel quickly and easily if needed. From my experience, Saalbach-Hinterglemm is a good option - relatively short transfer from Salzburg airport, low level road access which is always clear, the villages are not too high (kids of that age may struggle with altitudes above about 1500m if they're not used to it), and the majority of the slopes are in a circle around the villages so you're never more than about 25 minutes away from your base and can drop to the valley and get a bus back with little difficulty. The village centres are pedestrianised, with Hinterglemm being flatter, so pushing a buggy or pulling a sledge is easier. On that point, take a buggy with big wheels, as the small Maclaren-type wheels get stuck in slush or heavy snow and it is easier to drag the buggy rather than push it. We used a sledge with a backrest for an 18 month old, as he could sit up comfortably, but for a 1 year old this is probably asking too much.

As an example take a look at https://hotel-egger.at/en/familienhotel-saalbach/kinderbetreuung/

Also consider the possibility of inviting a grandparent or two along - you get free childcare, they get quality time with their grandchild, and the child has familiar faces all day. In those circumstances, a self-catering apartment or smaller hotel becomes a good idea so you have extra space and there's no requirement for someone to spend up to 6 hours in a small hotel room.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info, yeah theres definitely no skiing for the little un as shes only just turning 1 next week and cant walk yet but Ill probably take her down a couple of easy runs in a sling or something like that. It is mainly the childcare options that interest us this time. Taking the grandparents isnt really an option unfortunately as they're all getting on a bit now and theres issues around them traveling themselves.

I didnt realise ESF did childcare too, that could be a great option or the English speaking one mentioned.

Ive been to Morzine before and enjoyed it, it would also be suitable for my wife as its big enough for her to do things while not skiing as Id be surprised if she skis every day (although she should)

ousekjarr wrote:
@medlington, at that age they're unlikely to be able to do much other than toddle around in the snow for a few minutes at a time, and they'll likely sleep for half of the day.

haha, I wish, shes just not a sleeper!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@medlington, please do not put her in a sling and ski....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 - the easy slopes are where the idiots are going too fast as they use the learners as slalom poles, while the learners are almost as out of control. Your adult weight landing on a 1 year old is never a good idea. She'll not even remember the holiday, so why do it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could try a tour op/chalet company that offers its own nanny service like:
www.espritski.com/childcare/
www.skifamille.co.uk/childcare/
http://familyfriendlyskiing.com/pricing/child-care/
https://ski2champoluc.com/ski-holidays-to-champoluc/family-ski-holidays/
or https://familyski.co.uk/childcare/powder-pups-creche/

I've never had cause to use that sort of tour op, but I get the impression that those who do are big fans. We have been on holiday Using Ski2 in Champoluc-highly recommended, though probably pricier than the others-one big plus is the personal transfer from your arrival airport.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 13-11-19 16:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for family ski used them a couple of times with youngest daughter who was 10 months at the time
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ousekjarr wrote:
+1 - the easy slopes are where the idiots are going too fast as they use the learners as slalom poles, while the learners are almost as out of control. Your adult weight landing on a 1 year old is never a good idea. She'll not even remember the holiday, so why do it?

point taken, I was more thinking a run down a small nursery slope so she could feel the wind and get the sense of the motion rather than taking her down blue runs for hours on end
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Les Carroz there is the village creche - https://winter.lescarroz.com/families-ski-holiday/day-care/day-nursery.html - but it is not next to the slopes. So you'd need to use the ski bus or drive. You are likely to need to provide vaccination records as well.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chillypowder in Prodains (Between Morzine and Avoriaz) have their own professionally qualified nannies and own in house Creche. (With all the stuff a 1 x year old needs). You can ski to the back door of the Chilly Powder Chalet from Avoriaz. Disclaimer: I did used to work for them.
They do the whole family ski thing very very well.
Also in the same area.....
Family Ski at Ardent offer something very similar (In house creche, own nannies etc etc).
Both offer Short transfers from Geneva plus quick and easy access to the Avoriaz.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@medlington, please do not put her in a sling and ski....

Yeah back packs are more comfortable I agree, certainly by the age of one. I would only use a sling for the first few weeks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our eldest had his first birthday at an Esprit hotel, and I'd recommend them to anyone if they fit in your budget. The nanny's are great and the listening service at night let's you have a meal without having to worry about Jnr.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was wondering if you could get a pushchair / buggy so you could ski down the nursery slope with the pushchair ..
and I found these:
https://www.babyplanetonline.co.uk/mountain-buggy-buggy-ski-white?of_tid=MFRWG5B5GIYDOJTGMVSWISLEHUYSM4DSN5SESZB5G4YDQOI&adGroupId=50793766298&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAiA8K7uBRBBEiwACOm4d8cp8FuG1dx2KM7TRI3Hk3d0bSUV9uEA9InfmRyWa4qW79FD-FbS7BoCTc4QAvD_BwE
Sould like a cool idea anyway Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Our eldest had his first birthday at an Esprit hotel, and I'd recommend them to anyone if they fit in your budget. The nanny's are great and the listening service at night let's you have a meal without having to worry about Jnr.

We met the sideways family on same holiday with our 1yr old and 4yr old and compared to the previous DIY holidays we had taken when we just had one child and going with family members (sister in law, and my parents on two different weeks) it felt like a real holiday! 100% recommend going Esprit route (or other dedicated family operators, though we didn’t find Mark Warner any where near as good from child focus perspective and hence we didn’t have as good a time as the kids weren’t as happy).
snow report
The brilliant thing about having a non-school aged child is you will be able to get some good deals on an Esprit type holiday out of school hols (assuming you / wife aren't teachers!).
ski holidays
Quote:

I was more thinking a run down a small nursery slope so she could feel the wind and get the sense of the motion rather than taking her down blue runs for hours on end

That's what little toboggans are for, and most resorts will have a safe area.
snow conditions
We did a January special with Family Friendly Skiing at the (now gone) Telemark. The best thing was the ski lessons for the 3 year old but the friendly vibe in the restaurant and bar was also brilliant. Felt like we went out on a date every evening although we did only have borderline baby monitor reception so could only sit in certain areas of the bar. The chalets are a bit more plush and hence expensive but good value for that sort of ski area, a decent bed and flexible childcare.
snow report
medlington wrote:
ousekjarr wrote:

point taken, I was more thinking a run down a small nursery slope so she could feel the wind and get the sense of the motion rather than taking her down blue runs for hours on end

Also remember she is tiny, not generating and heat and you are exercising. Wrap them up much warmer than you think and check gloves are on frequently. You don't want her to get frost bite - it has happened.

We had great fun with our lad, first trip at 5 month, he was in the snowpark at 6! Have fun!
snow report
Five toboggan slides a day would be fine. She won’t remember a thing and she should be so swaddled she won’t feel much either. Not worth the risk or effort to ski. There will be time in future for that, don’t be impatient!
latest report
@medlington, we used https://www.familyskiholidays.com/ when we took our 6month old. Long time ago now that Shocked
snow report
Agree completely with holidayloverxx et al.
We went with kids under a year: first with granny, then with Ski Esprit.
Do not take daughter with you skiing in backpack or similar.
Not even to sure about taboggan, unless just to pull her around the resort.
Certainly play in the snow, go for walks, build snowmen, throw a snowball, drink hot-but-not-too-hot chocolate.
Have fun, but leave skiing for a few years yet.
snow conditions
@Jonpim, +1 re safety, a one yr old won’t be able to hold on to a toboggan and will fall off easily.
We used Crystal in early years, they were OK but it’s just an add on service in a few selected hotels, and then moved over to Esprit, I wish we had used them from the start, really well set up to look after babies through to 11 year olds, if the kids are happy, the parents will have a good holiday, we met many family’s with babies and though they looked after them really well, and would recommend them, they have good evening care with staff sat in corridors listening for any crying, allows you to have an adult evening, which with a one year old is rare!
ski holidays
"Do not take daughter with you skiing in backpack or similar."

please please take that advice. its bad enough you get hit by a beginner/over confident mi-level skier, you don't want to be carrying your child at the time.

And don't Liston to "we did that in our day and it was fine". in the "olden days", there were fewer skiers, fewer beginners, fewer toss pot mid-level skiers filming themselves with Go-Pros and not paying attention.

if you still are tempted to use a backpack. just remember, you will never forgive yourself if it goes wrong.
snow report
jayroc2k wrote:

please please take that advice. its bad enough you get hit by a beginner/over confident mi-level skier, you don't want to be carrying your child at the time.

And don't Liston to "we did that in our day and it was fine". in the "olden days", there were fewer skiers, fewer beginners, fewer toss pot mid-level skiers filming themselves with Go-Pros and not paying attention.

if you still are tempted to use a backpack. just remember, you will never forgive yourself if it goes wrong.

+1
latest report
jayroc2k wrote:

I've never understood the logic that it is dangerous because of other people.
Just go to the quiet bits, there's always other people.
If you are a competent skier I'm not sure why it is any more dangerous than carrying them around the hills off skis or indeed on busy streets.
snow report
T Bar, I think the Danger aspect is not to be ignored: to get to the Quiet Bits you usually have to go through the Busy Bits.
There is also the concern of Hypothermia - with the child stuck on your back you have no idea if they are ok.
And then there are lifts - not so easy to manage a chair . . .
But my main question here is what's in it for the child?
A 1 yr old is only going to see the back of dad's head or neck. It will be bumpy. Could get motion sick. And certainly not nearly as much fun as playing with dad making snowmen or sliding down a slope with dad on a taboggan, where child is at the front and active (not stuck immobile in a papoose)
snow report
@Jonpim,^^^^^^^ +1, and the lifties are very unlikely to allow you through with such a small child.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 15-11-19 14:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We used all the usual suspects when our children were little (from 3 months old) esprit, simply ski, Mark Warner etc.
We are relatively recent converts to ClubMed, if their childcare is as good as the rest of their package they would be worth a try. NB when looking at their prices bear in mind it includes lift pass, tuition (including off piste), lunches, no staff night off and drinks.
snow report
Those leftie liberals and their pesky ski slope child protection views! Laughing

T Bar - you don't understand the danger of other people? Have you mixed with the general public, even ones in a ski resort? Even stopped at the side of very empty slopes some idiot invariably tries to use me as a slalom pole despite having the whole mountain. Object fixation I reckon. Some of the worst crashes I've seen have been between two people, quite often one stationary. I've also been clipped when skiing slowly behind my lad to protect him!
snow conditions
@Jonpim, My concerns are absolutist stances rather than common sense approaches to minimising risk and dangers.
I am not advocating strapping a child to your back ignoring them all day long and hurling yourself down busy mogul fields.
Equally I see little wrong to youngster going into a back pack for a couple of runs with mum and dad getting a bit of a feel of wind in the air having some family time and possibly enjoying a picnic.

In terms of risks from other skiers I do not deny that there must be a risk however on any rational basis a competent skiing parent can probably mitigate that risk so that it is lower than other common activities. How can it possibly be more dangerous for a competent skier to take their child at a quiet time whilst looking out for danger from other skiers than it is putting a young child onto the slopes where they have no skills and are less visible and turn in a more unpredictable way ? But we all have put our young children into ski school to learn how to ski often on busy slopes. I have slid down with my kids on toboggans but I have little doubt the actual risk to them is far greater than when I'm on skis , my control is less and my propensity to crash greater.
In terms of enjoyment I think all kids are different I can only go by my own experience I didn't ski with my kids in back packs because the extra fafff of carrying them was a bit much but I did do a lot of hill walking one of them loved being in the back pack for hours at a time and would very happily burbble away to me the other got a little bored and we didn't do as much with her.
In terms of hypothermia , well I took my kids outside on a regular basis sometimes in harsher condition's than is common on the slopes, yes you need to be sensible and I would not advocate leaving them for hours in the cold, but a pleasant family time on a spring afternoon for a couple of runs why ever not?
latest report
gravity-slave wrote:

T Bar - you don't understand the danger of other people? Have you mixed with the general public, even ones in a ski resort? Even stopped at the side of very empty slopes some idiot invariably tries to use me as a slalom pole despite having the whole mountain. Object fixation I reckon. Some of the worst crashes I've seen have been between two people, quite often one stationary. I've also been clipped when skiing slowly behind my lad to protect him!

WHy do you allow your child to ski at all? The same people are there whether or not you are carrying them but the child on his own is a) less visible and b) less experienced in avoiding other people.
snow report
gravity-slave wrote:
... T Bar - you don't understand the danger of other people? Have you mixed with the general public, even ones in a ski resort? Even stopped at the side of very empty slopes some idiot invariably tries to use me as a slalom pole despite having the whole mountain. Object fixation I reckon. Some of the worst crashes I've seen have been between two people, quite often one stationary. I've also been clipped when skiing slowly behind my lad to protect him!
Perhaps that all says more about you than them. Most people don't have collisions. If you're "trying to protect" someone that probably makes you harder to avoid than a standard skier.

Life's kind of dangerous. It's unjustifiable for you to take your kids on the slope at all, by this "logic".
snow conditions
T Bar, you are quite right: we all have different views of risks - many quite irrational.
I'm just not comfortable with backpacks and skiing, but did go skiing with my children on busy slopes when they were quite young.
You see taboganning as "less control and propensity to crash greater". It see it rather different.
Depends on what slopes you are going down, I suppose. Like skiing.
We are human. Not logical (and sometimes we are Dancer wink )
snow conditions
Start early.

Take the little grom to the sweet pow.

snow report
Depends if the backpack has snow chains.
snow report
Let's face it, you're doing it for yourself, not the child. So that you can get some skiing in that you'd otherwise miss, playing with them in the snow or doing a bit of tobogganing on a kid's slope. Personally, I never saw the point, given the risk of collision. I've been knocked over while standing still on a virtually empty piste more than once. Annoying enough, without falling onto a tethered child.
snow report
Were off to Obertauern in Feb. My Grandson will be 1 year old the day before we travel. I have been to Obertauern a few times, and looking specifically at a resort for 7 adults and one child, this hit the spot. Have a look
latest report
@medlington, If you are still considering skiing in Morzine this winter and need childcare I am happy to help. I have set up a company called Altitude Nannies http://altitudenannies.co.uk/
snow conditions
We also use Cheeky Monkeys in Morzine for day and evening nannies. This is season 4 now and without exception the nannies are great.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy