Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski School/Lessons in La Thuile?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Good evening all,

We're a mixed ability group of 7 adults off to La Thuile on 12th January for a week. My friend is a complete beginner and it'll be his first time on snow. I was fortunate in that I learned to ski a long time ago and have been able to ski quite frequently, but that means I am a bit out of the loop when it comes to beginners, and we could use some advice.

I think he will sign up to the ski school offered by the tour operator, which provides 5 days of 2.5 hours tuition, presumably in a group, for £161 - so just below £13/h. Does this represent good value? In my own experience as a learner teenager, instruction given as part of a large group paled in comparison to being in a small group. Is 2.5h of ski school a waste of money that'd be more effectively spent on fewer hours with a personal instructor or small group?

He is open to the idea of spending a little more to get 1-to-1 tuition, or tuition in a small group of, say, 3 people, for a day or two in order to learn the basics as quickly as possible. The official school seems to offer 1-to-1 lessons for approx €36-42 per hour (and €15/h per additional student) - is this a good choice in terms of value? One or two others in our party are fairly inexperienced so I may encourage them to join him for a few hours during the week. Myself and others are of course happy to take the beginner and intermediates around blue runs during the afternoons, but it would be great if they were able to handle (easier) red runs by the end of the week - how realistic is this?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh and I should have mentioned that my friend booked on to the trip later than us so missed the lift pass offer, and therefore still requires a lift pass (and equipment hire). Is there any possibility of getting an 'all-in-one' sort of deal for equipment and a lift pass (and maybe lessons, too?) at local ski shop? Thanks
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another question - can anyone recommend activities for the non-skiiers joining us? The Aosta website has a lot of good information but it'd be good to hear the experiences of other holidaymakers. Many thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sparklingspringwater -- appreciate you are off in two weeks so this may be a little late but l was a complete beginner last year and had 5 days of 2.5 hour group lessons and was ok(ish) on easy reds by the end of the week. I had a quality instructor so that probably made a difference but La Thuile is definitely a great place for beginners and intermediates. My family enjoyed last year so much we're going back in Feb. Hope you all have a great time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought the ski schools in La Thuile were great but I did pay for 1-to-1 lessons. I only had 2 hours but they were quality lessons and I was on blues comfortably by the end of day 1 and a few reds by the end of the long weekend.

La Thuile really is excellent for beginners and I would imagine that if they wanted to get a bit more out of the holiday overall, pay a little extra for personal or small group tuition, and then the blue 14,15, and 16 are good fun to practice on. (14 is my favourite with a good ridge "for a blue" to practice on) Then progress to 9 and 10 Reds that will take you into 14,15, or 16. It really did fill me with a sense of achievement having worked on the lower blues looking up at that Red 9 to be able to do it. Second trip I went I still used 14,15, or 16 to warm up and then spent most of the day around the Argillian Express.

Top of Chaz Dura along Red 7, down 18 and 6 all the way to the bottom is great fun too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@daleh and @S@mm thanks guys, really helpful Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy