Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lyon -> Val Thorens. Snow Chains?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

First post on here and looking for some help/advice Puzzled

Traveling to VT on the 4th of December till the 8th of December. So transfers have been a nightmare to secure without them being ridiculously prices (E700 for 2 people return!)

So ive looked into booking a car in Lyon airport and driving to Val Thorens. Ive driven in snow before but not exactly sure what to expect. The cheaper car companies which I have found ( under 25 so being robbed on fees ) do not have an option to add snow chains and because I am booking a car in France they dont come with winter tyres as standard.

I am wondering if anyone has done the route recently and can recommend somewhere to pick up a set of chains on the way? I am only looking at booking small car for the drive as there are only two of us traveling and looking to keep the costs down.

If anyone knows of anywhere in between to pick up chains it would be really appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try a large supermarket in Chambery or Albertville for chains.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs wrote:
You could try a large supermarket in Chambery or Albertville for chains.

Ah perfect! I didnt realise they were so readily available over there. I assumed i wouldve needed to go to a motor factors or something along the lines of that.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a motorfactors (feu vert)in Chambery - close to Carrefour supermarket, so you could check first.
Dont tell car rental you are heading to the alps, as winterisation fee maybe mandatory if going to specific areas.

Also, if you buy & dont use them then dont forget to return them for a refund Toofy Grin

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 11-11-19 16:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Brillaint! Thanks for all the quick replies!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Generally all of the mountain area supermarkets have a stock of chains during winter.

Take a photo of the tire spec (size etc) so that you can check properly while at the shelves to get fit correct.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lawwley wrote:
Traveling to VT on the 4th of December till the 8th of December. So transfers have been a nightmare to secure without them being ridiculously prices (E700 for 2 people return!)

I assume this is to do with it being early season and mid-week?

Although a quick google suggests a touch cheaper at 585 euros with...although obviously depends what flight times as I just picked some at random.
https://www.coolrunnings.eu/booking-form?promoCode&wayOption=return&0-from=1240&0-to=1237&0-passengers=2&0-date=04%2F12%2F2019&0-timeHour=10&0-timeMinutes=0&1-from=1237&1-to=1240&1-passengers=2&1-date=08%2F12%2F2019&1-timeHour=15&1-timeMinutes=0&journeyCount=2&offerId
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
lawwley wrote:

I assume this is to do with it being early season and mid-week?

Although a quick google suggests a touch cheaper at 585 euros with...although obviously depends what flight times as I just picked some at random.
https://www.coolrunnings.eu/booking-form?promoCode&wayOption=return&0-from=1240&0-to=1237&0-passengers=2&0-date=04%2F12%2F2019&0-timeHour=10&0-timeMinutes=0&1-from=1237&1-to=1240&1-passengers=2&1-date=08%2F12%2F2019&1-timeHour=15&1-timeMinutes=0&journeyCount=2&offerId

Yeah its mainly to do with the days we are there. Wednesday -> Sunday rather then the usual Saturday -> Saturday.

That price was off GetTransfers and it has since come down to 520 assuming its like a bidding site where taxis/private transfers can offer a price from the transfer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If convenience is more important than money then most motorway service stations between Lyon and VT stock common sizes of chains.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@lawwley, Did you check the times and cost of getting the train to Moutiers ? Also consider the cost of parking in Val Thorens.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs,

Good idea re: the train. Then take a bus from Moutiers.

Or, if driving, you can drop the luggage at the digs then drive to Les Menuires and park for free. Then ski back to Val T. And, finally, ski back to the car at the end of the trip.

No need to pay €80 to park. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bergmeister, Look at the dates, the Les Menuires lifts won't be open at the start of the trip. Someone could get the bus back to Val Thorens from Les Menuires after dumping the car if it is running yet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The roads up to VT are wide and flat and not difficult to drive.

Local traffic is heavy and constant and the plows keep it clear most of the time.

Being so early in the season, and due to global warming, heavy road snow is unlikely.

Just buy a set of chains in the valley supermarket. Throw them in the trunk. Head on up.

The uphill part takes about 1hr.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies ! Really didnt expect this much info so thanks for giving us a few ideas.

@rjs The train to Moutiers + bus is out as we arrive to late to moutiers to catch a bus to VT, but could be an option if we can get a Taxi from Moutiers was looking online there and it says approx €85 one way.

Its looking like the rental car is the best option at the minute. The parking in VT is €31 for the 4/5 days which isnt to bad.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VT IS 2300m - and we've sometimes seen pandemonium all the way not from Les Menuires, not from St Martin, but from Moutiers. I'm not saying you are sure to need the chains (or at least winter tyres) but better safe than sorry.

Come to think of it, maybe the Lyon car will be fitted with winter tyres anyway? Not sure what the regulation is in that department (69) - I have rented in Geneva and was amazed to see only the front wheels were winter. It was fun at every roundabout...
snow report
patrick! wrote:
VT IS 2300m - and we've sometimes seen pandemonium all the way not from Les Menuires, not from St Martin, but from Moutiers. I'm not saying you are sure to need the chains (or at least winter tyres) but better safe than sorry.

Come to think of it, maybe the Lyon car will be fitted with winter tyres anyway? Not sure what the regulation is in that department (69) - I have rented in Geneva and was amazed to see only the front wheels were winter. It was fun at every roundabout...

Winters on the front only? This must be illegal and you should have challenged the rental company!
latest report
@mooney058, many people who live in the French Alps only put winter tyres on the front wheels. If at all.

@lawwley, the last time I flew to Lyon (It was a long time ago when British Airways were still in business) the pandimonium at the rental desk where people where trying to get snow chains was too much. As others have said it is easier and cheeper to buy chains on the way. Most motorway service stations sell them for the common small car tyre sizes. It way be more tricky if the rent a truck.

One winter my wife rented a car in Milan and requested snow chains with the hire. It came with two sets in the boot. The previous renter had bought a set.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
There is a motorfactors (feu vert)in Chambery - close to Carrefour supermarket, so you could check first.
Dont tell car rental you are heading to the alps, as winterisation fee maybe mandatory if going to specific areas.

Also, if you buy & dont use them then dont forget to return them for a refund Toofy Grin

Exactly! I'd recommend snowsocks or the elasticized poly ones you can slip on. Don't bother with metal chains as they will drive you crazy trying to install them by the side of the road. Odds are you won't need them as the road to VT is kept as clear as possible for obvious reasons, but still need to carry them. Pro tip: Before you go into the supermarket, write down tire size COMPLETELY, including the inches...ask me how I know this.

I've always found a good selection in hypermarches in the pre-Alps, but if you can find a dedicated tire store so much the better.

Lyon to VT is a longish transfer but still surprised price is so high. Did you look carefully at this site? Apologies if you did.
https://www.lyonaeroports.com/en/access-transports/ski-shuttles/val-thorens
latest report
I think the recent cold snap has caused Hell to freeze over, as I find myself endorsing the comments of
IceCold-MichellePfeiffer-Whitegold
snow conditions
Pasigal wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Exactly! I'd recommend snowsocks or the elasticized poly ones you can slip on. Don't bother with metal chains as they will drive you crazy trying to install them by the side of the road. Odds are you won't need them as the road to VT is kept as clear as possible for obvious reasons, but still need to carry them. Pro tip: Before you go into the supermarket, write down tire size COMPLETELY, including the inches...ask me how I know this.

I've always found a good selection in hypermarches in the pre-Alps, but if you can find a dedicated tire store so much the better.

Lyon to VT is a longish transfer but still surprised price is so high. Did you look carefully at this site? Apologies if you did.
https://www.lyonaeroports.com/en/access-transports/ski-shuttles/val-thorens

Hey yeah we looked everywhere. It was because of the dates we are arriving and leaving.

We ended up booking a small car in the end and will just pick up chains/socks on route there. Hopefully they wont be needed!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy