Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Unusual and alarming tragedy at Mammoth

Poster: A snowHead
Three ski patrollers die after falling into a snow hole created be the venting of volcanic gases - not clear if death caused through physical injury or carbon monoxide poisoning.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/06/mammoth.deaths.ap/index.html
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How tragic. Sounds like gas was the cause of death.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We skied there 8 years ago. Although the whole region is recognised as having a bit of volcanic activity going on, I don't recall any mention that the snow might open beneath our feet and swallow us up. The fact that these unfortunate guys were roping something off perhaps suggests that they were not far from the piste.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond, I've heard that the Mammoth Lakes area is a bit like Yellowstone; the whole area could blow in a devastating fashion. I've climbed (really, walked up) Lassen Peak, much further north in CA, which has stinking fumeroles all the way up and an impressive crater, but like the rest of the Cascade peaks, it's a "proper" volcano. It last blew in 1917, I think.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
How tragic. Sounds like gas was the cause of death.

Hmm, there could be a repeat at the eosb when I kick my skiboots off Shocked Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Charlatanefc, Nothing compared to Tartiflette and a "formidable" of fizzy French beer. You have to feel sorry for these guys and their friends and families - so unlucky.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, don't do cheese at all. Hate the stuff, especially the sweaty socks variety you put on spaghetti bol.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Charlatanefc, you should be taken out behind the woodshed and thrashed Evil or Very Mad for that obscenity against cheese
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, promises promises Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
3 people die making pistes safe and its degenerates to cheesy feet. Really respectful rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having only just read the piece now, seems strange. It says "Whether they were killed by the 21-foot fall or were also affected by gases seeping from the cavity was not immediately clear", but further down says "nothing to do with Volcanic activity". I'm not an expert geologist, but I would have thought if these gases were present, surely that's something to do with volcanic activity???

Must be said, last place I'd want to ski is on a volcano, be it dormant or whatever.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kruked wrote:
3 people die making pistes safe and its degenerates to cheesy feet. Really respectful rolling eyes

This is an interent skiing forum, not the Brownies. Sorry for any confusion.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Embarassed I thought he had said "cheesy feet", no wonder I was confused.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charlatanefc wrote:
Having only just read the piece now, seems strange. It says "Whether they were killed by the 21-foot fall or were also affected by gases seeping from the cavity was not immediately clear", but further down says "nothing to do with Volcanic activity". I'm not an expert geologist, but I would have thought if these gases were present, surely that's something to do with volcanic activity???

Must be said, last place I'd want to ski is on a volcano, be it dormant or whatever.

Avoid Chile, Oregon, Washington etc then in that case - actually the natural features on volcanoes makes then great places to ski. I'd guess the incident was inbounds by the sounds of it. I'd read the "nothing to do with volcanic activity" more as a "don't panic no eruption imminent" which would hurt the hugely pricey Mammoth real estate market.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, I've no intention matey, I can't be bothered sitting on a plane for more than 2 1/2 hours Wink
snow report
kruked, good point, sorry
ski holidays
I experienced 2 earthquakes at Mammoth in 1997. I'm sure many British skiers have seen the well known blowhole next to the pistes, where the steam stinks of H2S. There are also plenty of other holes along the top ridge, created by snowmelt from gas seepage. But this is shocking - possibly a new vent hole that they didn't know about.
snow report
Fuller story here http://www.telemarktips.com/TeleNews.htm. One guy was Mammoth's leading snow safety expert. Sad loss.
snow report
This whole thing sounds really unlucky. Poor guys and their families - no stupidity on display for this one. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, Cheese is the Earwax of the Devil. Little Angel
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, hallelujah brother! Wink
snow conditions
More details of the tragedy here in the LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-mammoth8apr08,0,501308.story?coll=la-home-headlines

and also a description of the area's vulcanism here:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-risks8apr08,0,1166.story?coll=la-home-headlines
ski holidays
A picture from the LA Times. There's a gallery there showing just how close this is to an easy-looking piste.

ski holidays
richmond wrote:
kruked wrote:

This is an interent skiing forum, not the Brownies. Sorry for any confusion.

Learn how to spell you wnaker. Oops its seems its catching
ski holidays
kruked, I don't appreciate your humour on a thread about an unfortunate tragedy
ski holidays
Russell I dont think you have read the whole thread properly. 3 skiers lost their lives on the mountain and Charletanfc made a joke in bad taste about the incident. Kruked is merely showing their distain for such inappropriate jokes in bad taste.
snow report
Edmundh009, I read it I didnt appreciate the other humour but the tone has been lowered more. The last I shall say on the matter
ski holidays
take a look at where it happend. In the open on a well used piste(by the look off the ski tracks)

very scary and unlucky for all involved
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Russell wrote:
kruked, I don't appreciate your humour on a thread about an unfortunate tragedy

Hang, on he didn't start it, I did, or possibly charlatenefc did, depending on how you look at it. Fair dos. I'm perfectly happy to take my share of the 'blame' from the more po faced members of our little community, and I daresay that charlatenefc is too.
ski holidays
Can I just say I'm sorry if my original hijacking of this thread offended anybody, certainly didn't mean to, as richmond so rightly summizes.
latest report
for the avoidance of doubt, I was not apologising or suggesting that anyone else should.
snow report
richmond, I know that mate, but felt that I would "just in case" anyone was offended
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, very wise. We don't want to upset anyone.
ski holidays
Having read hundreds of posts by you two it is obvious that you are thoughtless, uncaring nasty people....NOT
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, ha, just wait till a week on Saturday Wink
ski holidays
Here is some details about the boys and the memorial fund from Mammoth:http://www.mammothmountain.com/memorial/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy