Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain, SCGB. Are you still a member? Why / Why not?

Poster: A snowHead
@Dave of the Marmottes, I used my UK passport when I went Skiing last month and didn’t notice any change. The queue at passport control didn’t take any longer than normal.

I didn’t need a working visa either as was claimed be some of the more rabid snowHeads. Ski Club holiday operations seem to have carried on as normal, with no issues.

I’m sorry if snowHead Bashes are experiencing difficulties due to Brexit but your problems are not my problems.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer wrote:

Ooooooh. The legally binding Facebook poll… Eh oh!

FFS, take a step back and have a look at yourself.

Free and fair vote. Of course Tom didn’t like the way the vote was going so he removed it like the true democrat he is.

You should probably take a longer look at yourself.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
? Who said this was anything about bashes? Oh that's right Gerry because he is so caught up in his hatred of sHs.

The UK ski industry refers more to UK based or UK TOs plus UK seasonnaires who no longer can do the same thing and the consequential change in business models. Plus of course the non-negligible thing about our ports and airports being a clusterfeck right now.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, tell me again how it felt when I took your EU citizenship/Freedom of Movement away?

I hope Brexit really screws you up (and your pals like Phil etc) and that your bitterness over it eats away at you until the day you die.

Did Admin need a working visa in the end?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bloody hell Gerry, its 8am on a Tuesday morning, have you been drinking all night?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hamilton Academical wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, tell me again how it felt when I took your EU citizenship/Freedom of Movement away?

I hope Brexit really screws you up (and your pals like Phil etc) and that your bitterness over it eats away at you until the day you die.

Did Admin need a working visa in the end?

Preserved...just an case anyone doesn't realise that Hamilton Academical is Gerry Aitken former director and recently resigned member of the Ski Club of Great Britain (from what I can make out amongst the rants, abuse and swearing) and this is what he is like...all of the time. Hateful person.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 5-04-22 8:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, I'm nothing to do with the SCGB anymore. Can you not fecking read?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
, I no longer have any involvement with the Ski Club at all. I won’t be doing anymore repping so as to give others the opportunity. I might not even renew in December.

So, whilst you were an active member, and a Director (how many years was it?) you did such a good job that, within a few month of resigning (pushed?) you find that membership has no longer any relevance for you? Puzzled

Any you wonder why comments are made about the declining membership under your stewardship? rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brianatab, Covid effect. The membership of the SCGB does tend to track the general level of industry.

Not that facts matter to a tw@t like you. And, no, I wasn't 'pushed' but obviously snowHead Lore must be maintained by lying idiots like you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@holidayloverxx, I'm nothing to do with the SCGB anymore. Can you not fecking read?

Amended
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
... Hateful person.
Interesting. A few months ago moderators here removed most links between Gerald Aitken SCGB Ltd director and his abusive posts.
I assumed that must have been as part of some agreement, because Gerald's directorship and the abuse appeared to cease around the same time.
I thought that was a reasonable way forward, but it looks like somethings shifted once more and the abuse is starting again.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@philwig, and I personally took your EU membership away as well. How did that make you feel?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The sad truth is that SCGB is completely broken, in large part because its Council / governance is broken and cannot address their core model which must refresh, Successive Chairmen of the club have been overly controlling while failing to be effective in issues that matter. The latest one puts his own ego above openness, good governance and the interests of the club. (in my view) . The biggest issue is that the club is devoid of a meaningful vision and ability to execute this.
The fact they (Council) spend so much time and effort attacking me - a relevantly experienced, outspoken but non-aligned voice - rather than addressing the issues proves the point. Why not embrace the support from 'non-aligned' but otherwise loyal and would be members. Council needs the ability for robust debate, rather than constantly thinking they are there to protect the old and above all must sing from the hymn sheet, however inappropriate. It is no coincidence that at the same time as trying to shut down the independent voice of the Facebook group they support their Director attacking non-members and Snowheads - while another Director 'accidentally' tries to trademark the Snowheads brand for SCGB. They think the problems of SCGB can be solved by attacking others.
I have still not had a response to my letter inviting a more positive way forward - apparently it takes them months of Board meetings to decide how to deal with me (so says their silly legal threat letters). Looks broken doesn't it?
I had hoped the new Chairman elect (Angus) would help Council turn the corner. His approach to Council issues sounds far better, his record is not.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
... Hateful person.
Interesting. A few months ago moderators here removed most links between Gerald Aitken SCGB Ltd director and his abusive posts.
I assumed that must have been as part of some agreement, because Gerald's dictatorship and the abuse appeared to cease around the same time.
I thought that was a reasonable way forward, but it looks like somethings shifted once more and the abuse is starting again.

FYP Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...Lore must be maintained by lying idiots like you.

brianatab wrote:

So, whilst you were an active member, and a Director (how many years was it?) you did such a good job that, within a few month of resigning (pushed?) you find that membership has no longer any relevance for you? Puzzled

Which bit is the lie?

Most of it seems verifiably true. Surely not the bit about how good a job you did?
latest report
@brianatab, Covid effect. The membership of the SCGB does tend to track the general level of industry.

Not that facts matter to a tw@t like you. And, no, I wasn't 'pushed' but obviously snowHead Lore must be maintained by lying idiots like you.

Sorry, didn't realise the SCGB membership has suffered from Covid for so many years ahead of the rest of the world. Very Happy
I was under the impression that the total number of participants of winter sports in the UK had increased over the last 20 years or so, but I may be mistaken.

The word "pushed" was a question (hint. - the ? is the clue). Not sure how a question could be interpreted as a lie, whereas the answer always has that possibility.

Won't bother responding to the other comment.
snow conditions
If ever you wanted a thread to be self proving this does it. Would you be a member of SCGB? (easy answer atm) Two recent but ex Directors of SCGB comment here, one is being thrown out of membership by Council for running a Facebook group - having previously been removed from the Board having served only a few months of his four year elected term. The other (Gerry aka Hamilton) serves two years of his term, fails to do anything useful (but abuses skiers on any forum that will have him) and then decides he can't be bothered to turn up to Board meetings, resigns and decides he doesn't want to be a member because it offers nothing to him.
We didn't do a great job of turning the club around did we? We did though have a democratic mandate to drive healthy change, a Council that thinks it is above its members rather than accountable to them has no hope. Even less when they wantonly abuse the prospective membership base
@brianatab, +1
snow report
I might not even renew in December.

Woah there! You’re flouncing out of the SCGB?!?!
ski holidays
@pisteoff, I left because of work. So, you tell lies, even about that.
latest report
@Hamilton Academical, What's you view on whether you and Council have been successful in the 2 years you were a Director (out of 4 you were elected for). You stood on a platform of bringing back volunteer led ski groups, and were vocal in a desire to turn the club around from years of huge losses (in finance and members). Will the club now be profitable / break even, or are there more losses to be absorbed? Do you think the club has now turned around and will see membership bounce back? What has changed to drive this? If you don't want to rep yourself (perhaps like me you feel the risk too high and support from club too little) - has repping and reps been largely abandoned by the club? This thread is about membership of SCGB - you think you will probably leave the club yourself - if even you have given up on it, what hope is there for SCGB?
snow conditions
To answer the original question: Yes.

Why:
1. The Platinum insurance and extension was exactly what I needed this year and good value.
2. The ILG is excellent and very good value in Tignes.
3. The SCGB still forms a core of the social activities in Tignes.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
To answer the original question: Yes.

Why:
1. The Platinum insurance and extension was exactly what I needed this year and good value.
2. The ILG is excellent and very good value in Tignes.
3. The SCGB still forms a core of the social activities in Tignes.

Excellent - I've struggled to find SCGB presence in Tignes - (since the sad demise of the Alpaca) - where is the core? How can I bump into that Smile
Val D'Isere does have an excellent SCGB 'chapter'
ski holidays
@pisteoff, this might help with you quest https://www.facebook.com/groups/SCGBTignes
snow conditions
@pisteoff, It has been a bit tricky this season as The Cave du Loop didn't open because of covid where we had 3 very successful seasons after the Alpaca fell into a hole. The Brit collective has been meeting in the Box in Lavachet. I have not been as proactive this year in organising stuff for covid (Macron) and personal reasons.
latest report
@pisteoff, the Alpaka. That takes me back to a very enjoyable SCGB holiday with a couple of superb reps. Long time ago, but happy memories.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 5-04-22 13:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It's the thread that just keeps on giving, especially in terms of personal abuse, where Gerry is the clear leader at the moment.
snow report
Quote:

Alpaka. That takes me back to a very enjoyable SCGB holiday with a couple of superb reps. Long time ago, but happy memories.

Those were lovely days, so many great memories .... I think I'm right in saying the Alpaca and its dozen rooms has been replaced by the magnificent Le Taos - without which we wouldn't have such a great place for 150 Snowheads on the PSB - so perhaps there has been an upside Smile
latest report
No, Alpaka and Taos were both there for a year or two.
Alpaka plot now has a 5* place on it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@admin, Indeed, its The Diamond Rock. Dinner starts at about €100 for 3 courses, a suite is 6k a week for two. But you do get a flag on the piste by the boot room door with your name on it so the instructor can find you. Tignes is changing!
ski holidays

I thought you were still a member ?
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@admin, Indeed, its The Diamond Rock. Dinner starts at about €100 for 3 courses, a suite is 6k a week for two. But you do get a flag on the piste by the boot room door with your name on it so the instructor can find you. Tignes is changing!

FFS. Surely Tignes has to stay VDI's slightly grubby downmarket neighbour (with faster accesss to better skiing) - you can't drag everything into oligarch/tech bro/city spaffer money?
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Yip, everything that is going up is either 4 or 5 star, and the new apart hotels are all high spec. It's mostly Swiss money, hedging against climate change I guess.

The days of the posh kids next door and the comp kids here are going.
latest report
eblunt wrote:
It's the thread that just keeps on giving, especially in terms of personal abuse, where Gerry is the clear leader at the moment.

Indeed. Gerry, the only person I am aware of here who has actually used the 'c' word in directly addressing another Snowhead.
snow report
@195062, I may have called him a Cuck for poshboys
ski holidays
@chocksaway, it's a pity that Tignes is going up market. There was a time when I skied 4 weeks a year - and tried to make at least one in Espace Killey - or whatever it's called, now. Roughly equally split between Tignes and Val D. I rather liked Tignes. Less of a gloomy location than Val D, as gnarly as you wanted, and cheerfully unpretentious. I thought the two resorts counterbalanced each other rather well.
snow conditions
For me Tignes is at the heart at what's gone wrong for SCGB, and what is yet to be fixed. Sadly I think it never will be fixed. The failure of successive Councils to address this is symptomatic and at the core of the clubs demise. If Tignes is moving upmarket (it is) then this becomes even more SCGB core market .... so why does it get so little care?
Yes group skiing in France needs to be rearranged because of the legal position - but it remains legal and practiced by many other ski clubs. Why on earth have Council not addressed this? Why are there not two social SCGB groups a day in Tignes? (answer in part because they focus on the wrong things, and attack their would be friends when they argue for change rather than excuses)
Historically it was a thriving two rep resort, regularly recruiting hundreds of new members with its excellent in resort presence, great group skiing, social evenings etc. Daily on the spot snow reports -drove engagement and interest, and always there social drinks and skiing made engagement easy and fun. Now you have to search and get lucky to find others. The SCGB App has no Tignes presence of note, the Facebook page almost nothing, no daily snow report - and no regular group skiing. The only thing left is sporadic ILG - which (in my view) is a marginal offer - great for those that want to pay for guiding and who are lucky enough to find a suitable slot, but not for those that just want to ski safely in a like minded group
In Val there is a self organising, self styled SCGB chapter which is very healthy (albeit not all agree that being part of SCGB is important), but this simply doesn't exist in Tignes. My experience is that the once very keen, helpful and SCGB loyal Tignes seasonaires have become only vaguely associated with SCGB if at all, most have simply left membership.
If SCGB had a future Tignes would be the place you saw it first - You would see at least two member led scgb 'meet up and ski' groups a day, regular socials and daily snow reports - and engagement on Facebook and the SCGB app. Council have completely failed to address this, in part by making people feel unwelcome and getting oh so defensive. France is barren of meaningful SCGB presence, and France is by far the biggest market for British skiers.
ski holidays
Quote:

If SCGB had a future Tignes would be the place you saw it first

This sounds right. We used to enjoy chalet holidays for various reasons, but guided group skiing was right up there. And, of course, that oiled the wheels of sociable evenings. That's been a key feature of Snowheads bashes for me and loads of others but can be very hard, if not impossible, to find otherwise. It's a gap the SCGB could fill, and be a powerful incentive to join.
latest report
Quote:

The SCGB App has no Tignes presence

Shocked

Maybe you could use your FB group to begin a mini ski club group?

The Tignes Club of GB
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
@chocksaway, it's a pity that Tignes is going up market. There was a time when I skied 4 weeks a year - and tried to make at least one in Espace Killey - or whatever it's called, now. Roughly equally split between Tignes and Val D. I rather liked Tignes. Less of a gloomy location than Val D, as gnarly as you wanted, and cheerfully unpretentious. I thought the two resorts counterbalanced each other rather well.

My thoughts exactly. All the 'original' families are now selling up, 2 generations from peasant farmers to multi millionaires. The third generation just seem to want the cash. Its a shame as it all becomes more corporate. It was nice talking to restaurateurs and hoteliers that were born in the old village. But on the bright side, when I sell my pad I should be able to move into a very nice care home!
snow report
@chocksaway, I don't blame you. But the overall thing is a but sad. I feel a bit the same about Andermatt - which I visited but briefly - either two or three days - but I thought it was charming with some great off-piste in the area. And now it's becoming a posh place. I've never quite seen the point of a posey resort. I want to be warm and comfortable in the evening - and sleep well. And have good skiing. That's it, really.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy