Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club of Great Britain, SCGB. Are you still a member? Why / Why not?

Poster: A snowHead
There's a link in my sign off - if that's what you meant
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
admin wrote:
@eblunt, it's in his sig line Toofy Grin
Hope that's OK boss min
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strange, as when I look on my iphone in portrait only the very tops of the letters of the bottom line of the signature shows and you’d hardly know its there. If I turn to landscape none of the bottom line is visible at all.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

occasionally says challenging things about the club…

Dammit! Sounds like I’m missing out on a SCGB (TM) bi&ch-fest.

If DG was around, he’d have the guts to copy it here Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pisteoff wrote:
There's a link in my sign off - if that's what you meant

Thanks, I didn't see the link in 3 pixel size text Blush

Hadn't realised you are TJ
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pisteoff wrote:
This is an old thread, but it felt relevant now SCGB Council are throwing me out of membership. Apparently I admin a Facebook group which occasionally says challenging things about the club. Gosh they are in a bad way - back to the bad old ways. How on earth can they thrive if they behave like that. Even as a holiday club its a nonsense, I won't be allowed to holiday with them. Mind it is difficult to find that attractive anyway.

Seriously? It's not exactly full on rage against the machine. Though it does seem to provide Gerry with another platform to fight the good fight and quash bedwetters.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It would be useful to see exactly what reason they have given TJ for the punishment of expulsion. As a member I would like to know this before deciding whether to write to protest.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jehu, Some comments here from Gerry https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=155976&start=240
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jehu wrote:
It would be useful to see exactly what reason they have given TJ for the punishment of expulsion. As a member I would like to know this before deciding whether to write to protest.
Simply that they demanded that I resign as admin of the Facebook group (I offered co-admin) and I refused - they presumably wanted to exclude me from the group. Happy to copy docs etc - and do ask Council to explain.
Apparently not obeying is grounds enough for punitive sanctions. They have also mentioned in generic terms comments from me that are disliked, I have asked them to be specific and they keep failing. I also make it clear that they can ask to have comments taken down. I suspect it is more comments from others they dislike.
I will post more including docs (probably on the open Facebook group, I'm not allowed on the other one so don't know what is being said there!) - however I do hope Council sees sense. I keep appealing to Council, but they seem determined to punish, someone seems to get a kick out of that sort of behaviour.
It all very odd, and sad. Not really the members club that I have been a long term member, rep and supporter of.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pisteoff wrote:
Jehu wrote:
Simply that they demanded that I resign as admin of the Facebook group (I offered co-admin) and I refused - they presumably wanted to exclude me from the group. Happy to copy docs etc - and do ask Council to explain.
I will post more including docs (probably on the open Facebook group, I'm not allowed on the other one so don't know what is being said there!) - however I do hope Council sees sense. I keep appealing to Council, but they seem determined to punish, someone seems to get a kick out of that sort of behaviour.
It all very odd, and sad. Not really the members club that I have been a long term member, rep and supporter of.

You should have made a member of staff or Council an admin but instead you just talked about it. Talk is cheap, especially when it comes out of your mouth. A poll of group members found that the vast majority didn't want you to be the only admin. You didn't like the democratic result so you removed the poll. Are you any relation to Putin?

You moan about Council not engaging on that group but you remove anything they say that you don't like.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

You should have made a member of staff or Council an admin

Kicked out for not letting their boy in (who probably would have tried to wreak havoc and have the place shut down).

Typical petty bourgeois bureaucratic control-freakery… which is also destroying GB Plc!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AL9000 wrote:
Quote:

You should have made a member of staff or Council an admin

Kicked out for not letting their boy in (who probably would have tried to wreak havoc and have the place shut down).

Typical petty bourgeois bureaucratic control-freakery… which is also destroying GB Plc!

Jarman's the control freak. Only yesterday he banned me from having my say on that group.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jehu wrote:

I've now posted the letter from the lawyers on the Facebook group (address in my sig line below)
I have reservations about this, the letter has inaccuracies etc
A couple of interesting things I thought. They mention discussing my membership at every Council meeting - firstly you'd think they'd have better things to do, secondly you would have thought one of them at least would have spoken to me?! Easy to solve problems if you speak - No-one from Council has spoken to me in two years (on Club matters)
The also say they have requested that I give them the group and allow myself to get thrown off it at their whim. I have declined this request. So now they say they are taking away membership, and this is why they removed benefits (after having taken my subs). I hope they won't got through with the threat, for their sake more than mine if I am honest, it has become joyless.
That sounds rather more like a demand. Oh and its not their intellectual property. Where have they seen that sort of behaviour before?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 4-03-22 11:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pisteoff, why not just take your sails out of their wind?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, a very fair point. I have invested a lot to try help the club turn the corner and don't like to see behaviour like this. However the story is reaching its conclusion, the future of SCGB is becoming inevitable. (many will think it already was)
snow conditions
I had a big barney with a local sailing club because, despite having saved a lot of money as a direct result of lockdown, they took the generous government grant they were offered and declined to pass it on to the caterer, who is a separate business and was losing money hand over fist. They threatened - in inaccurate and ill-considered writing - to expel me unless I kept quiet and stopped lobbying members to protest and it was very unpleasant. I was very upset. So I do understand how wedded one can become to a "point of principle...." I did some Google research about the legal aspects of membership of a club and got them to back down and agree I'd not be expelled, and that I could continue to put forward my arguments. That wasn't in writing, but I got a highly regarded and trusted senior member of the Club to "sit in" on the Zoom discussion, as an independent witness of our conclusion.

But, on the bright side, the people who agreed with me that they were behaving very badly have become firm friends!

This is all "storm in a teacup" stuff, like the SCGB. There is no existential threat to the Club itself, which has an extremely healthy amount of dosh in the bank, now even healthier as a result of two dollops of taxpayers money, minus their ungenerous contribution to the caterer. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes The Club is very successful, and, on the whole, very well run. But their taking of that taxpayers money, only to add most of it to their coffers..... morally wrong, in my view.
ski holidays
Thanks, a helpful corollary - and glad it was resolved to some extent at least. My admiration to you for reminding 'the powers that be' that a members club should be just that. Having a view that differs from top table is often a very healthy thing, particularly when top table is misfiring (and top table cannot define this for themselves, misfiring Boards of this type often believe they are right, and any problems are all due to outside factors, not their responsibility. Bad Boards then self protect, rather than open up to find solutions and embrace the change needed). People are allowed to have different views, and to challenge, and as in your case, often the challenging view has much merit - it should be heard and fairly considered.
I like that you didn't "take your sails out of their wind" Smile
snow report
pisteoff wrote:
T People are allowed to have different views, and to challenge..

But not on your group, where you censor and ban, at your pleasure, anyone who doesn't agree with you.
latest report
Yes Gerry, I have banned you again - I have reinstated you 3 times - each time asking you to avoid personal vitriol (which you promise to do), yet every time you return to plague us. Enough is enough.
It is however odd that Council was happy to leave you sniping here and there while still a Director, creating a very negative impression of SCGB. Are they throwing you out of the Club too, or are you the template of a good SCGB representative?
latest report
Hmm why was the SCGB so desperate for admin rights if not to have the ability to censor and ban and control the narrative themselves?
snow report
pisteoff wrote:
Yes Gerry, I have banned you again - I have reinstated you 3 times - each time asking you to avoid personal vitriol (which you promise to do), yet every time you return to plague us. Enough is enough.
It is however odd that Council was happy to leave you sniping here and there while still a Director, creating a very negative impression of SCGB. Are they throwing you out of the Club too, or are you the template of a good SCGB representative?

Personal vitriol from Gerry ? I think you must be mistaken, that's not his style at all.
ski holidays
@eblunt, Laughing
snow report
pisteoff wrote:

You tell lies, I point it out and you ban me. The group were in the process of voting you out of your admin position when you deleted the poll because it wasn't going your way. You have accused the Chairman multiple times of being an authoritarian dictator, which he isn't but you are.
snow report
Gerry, I'm not sure you are doing a good job persuading people SCGB is a welcoming and inclusive club. While you don't do a good job of characterising my view, I am going to sidestep the invitation to share what you have said about Trevor. In any case the Club is about to move to a new Chairman, so best to look forward?
snow report
@Hamilton Academical, @pisteoff, You two are hilarious!
snow conditions
Perhaps someone could animate it? Think I'd rather be the mouse though.
ski holidays
Quote:

Personal vitriol from Gerry ? I think you must be mistaken, that's not his style at all

Laughing Probably the only person who has used "post-menopausal" as a serious term of abuse on Snowheads. Says so much about him. As does his self-absorbed perception that some SHs talk about him in personal messages. Laughing I can't imagine anyone would bother - and if they have bothered, they've not bothered me with it......
snow conditions
I haven't had a single PM all year that has not been about Gerry.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar wrote:
I haven't had a single PM all year that has not been about Gerry.
why on earth are people PMing you about him?
latest report
I think there could be a wee touch of humour there, @Hurtle!
snow report
I should learn to read more carefully Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
I think there could be a wee touch of humour there, @Hurtle!

Or T Bar is covering his tracks.
Clearly, there have been secret communications about Gerry in the snowHead underground members group and, of course, within the Inner Circle…allegedly.
ski holidays
pisteoff wrote:
...The also say they have requested that I give them the group and allow myself to get thrown off it at their whim. I have declined this request. So now they say they are taking away membership, and this is why they removed benefits (after having taken my subs). I hope they won't got through with the threat, for their sake more than mine if I am honest, it has become joyless.
That sounds rather more like a demand. ...

I read the letter.

Just let them get on with it, ensure you get your subscription money back (charge it back?), and then keep running the group.
If they could take over the group, they would have done so. It's a bit weird that they would think some threat like
this could possibly achieve anything.

---
Earlier today, working out which bit to track up first...
ski holidays
Isn’t it ironic that the title of this thread is “SCGB are you still a member, why/why not?”
snow report
Former multiple time SCGB Director Gerry Aitken wrote:

Quote:

Obviously a reference to Brexit. Don't forget, I took your EU citizenship off you, laughed as I did it and laughed at you every day since.

Fuckerty bye

Actively rejoicing in destruction of parts of the UK ski industry.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I no longer have any involvement with the Ski Club at all. I won’t be doing anymore repping so as to give others the opportunity. I might not even renew in December.

So if you’re looking to gain some leverage over me by quoting me, you needn’t bother.

I voted Leave and took your EU citizenship away, Dave. You must be feeling really angry about that.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 5-04-22 7:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
No leverage. Just thought it pertinent to answering the headline question and a relevant insight into the heart of an organisation that has clasped you to its bosom for so long.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, the Ski Club don’t explore the politics of their members. Although, overt neo nazi wouldn’t be wanted, there are no Leave witch hunts going on. Politics just doesn’t get much of a mention.

By contrast, snowHeads seems to be a very political ‘club’ where you need to be Left leaning at the very least to be welcomed. I assume Leavers aren’t wanted on the Bashes?
snow report
It's scarcely worth indulging you but correlation does not equal conspiracy. That independent adults faced with the same facts reach similar conclusions isn't odd. Nor that there will be some ideologues or contrarians or trolls who disagree.

I find it odd that SCGB would not at least explore the consequences of Brexit. Pre covid and post Covid it remains the thing which most affects UK skiers when travelling to ski or even buying kit.
ski holidays
Hamilton Academical wrote:
You tell lies, I point it out and you ban me. The group were in the process of voting you out of your admin position when you deleted the poll because it wasn't going your way. You have accused the Chairman multiple times of being an authoritarian dictator, which he isn't but you are.

Ooooooh. The legally binding Facebook poll… Eh oh!

FFS, take a step back and have a look at yourself.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy