Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2019 - 20

Poster: A snowHead
Gämsbock wrote:
@Snowpenguin On landing we learned that due to snow (or lack thereof) we’re going to Sapporo instead. We’re still inclined to follow a version of our original plan and head to Sapporo on Monday afternoon. Any thoughts? What’s it like in Sapporo? Any snowHead about? Are we better to extend our stay in Tokyo?

It was hammering down with snow when I arrived in Niseko last night. Skied Niseko Grand Hirafu today - plenty of lovely snow, but got quickly tracked out. Rusustu tomorrow Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gämsbock, who are you out there with, just that I was talking to the people who are guiding us in a few weeks and they said that they were coming back to Hokaido / Sapporo as snow elsewhere think it was main island, was not at all good.

I'm seeing great shots on a guide's Instagram for the past ten days in Hokaido, and just hoping this carries on for a few more weeks and then some more when we get there.

Love this shot.

Our itinerary is sort of go where the snow is and as we're touring no need to worry about the Niseko SnowBoard grommets tracking everything out Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been in Hokkaido for 9 days. I've only bought 3 lift passes, but been ski touring on 4 additional days. I've also been using skins in the ski resorts.

In general it seems like the resort skiing is pretty limited if you're not willing to hike. Many of the previously skiable areas are just covered with massive bushes. The areas that are skiable get tracked out quickly.

I've only had 1 proper Japow experience, which was on the 21st at Kokusai.

Backcountry touring has been great though! You obviously have more freedom to ski areas that are not so bushy.

https://hokkaidowilds.org/

This website is extremely useful and a great project! Lots of good ski touring routes. I'd recommend not doing any that start below about 400-500m altitude (in the SW Hokkaido area)

I'm using a GPS / mapping app called Geographica. It's fantastic and includes the official Japanese Topo maps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Day of the Season yesterday at Rusutsu (Sunday 26 January)

Dry, light, deep, sunny.

Face shots for fun.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
musehead wrote:
I've been in Hokkaido for 9 days. I've only bought 3 lift passes, but been ski touring on 4 additional days. I've also been using skins in the ski resorts.

In general it seems like the resort skiing is pretty limited if you're not willing to hike. Many of the previously skiable areas are just covered with massive bushes. The areas that are skiable get tracked out quickly.

I've only had 1 proper Japow experience, which was on the 21st at Kokusai.

Backcountry touring has been great though! You obviously have more freedom to ski areas that are not so bushy.

https://hokkaidowilds.org/

This website is extremely useful and a great project! Lots of good ski touring routes. I'd recommend not doing any that start below about 400-500m altitude (in the SW Hokkaido area)

I'm using a GPS / mapping app called Geographica. It's fantastic and includes the official Japanese Topo maps.

I’ve only been in Hirafu and Rusustu the past three days. Pretty nice covering between the trees IMO, just a few bamboo sprouts that are easy to ski through. More snow due Wednesday evening...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow wrote:

Dry, light, deep, sunny.

Face shots for fun.

Camera broken Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Dry, light, deep, sunny.

Face shots for fun.

Camera broken Puzzled

Very Happy

Way behind.

Here's one from the 17th at Niseko Moiwa

https://www.instagram.com/p/B75eykSnk8r/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow didn’t materialise overnight in Niseko as hoped. Windy and low visibility (higher up) at Hirafu, and I believe same at Rusutsu. Skied at Hirafu and had a piste day, on moguls (which the Japanese seem to love) and short turns; there are only two of us on this particular Whiteroom tour, and our guide is a qualified instructor so like a day’s private lesson. Not what I came here for, but still good fun and value for money. Fingers crossed for some snow overnight for my last day tomorrow (I think the plan is Kiroro).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kiroro was great fun today, we got a little lost amongst the trees and spent a bit of time rolling around in the snow. Visibility not particularly good but it kept snowing up to when we called it a day (very early for me) at half two.

Wish I knew the resort better to have a better idea of where to head (in bounds) and what lines to take without ending up too low and having to walk out. Thinking we might play the same game tomorrow as seems like it's had the pick of the conditions this side of Sapporo.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Themasterpiece, @SnoodlesMcFlude, Think Kiroro will be our plan for tomorrow.

Today was a short tour up Mt Yotei and a cuppa in the "Focca" Cafe Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agreed.

Kiroro skiing the best at the moment.

Back there tomorrow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3048255/eight-foreign-nationals-caught-avalanche-japans-hokkaido-one

Avalanche in Tomamu, 8 caught, no fatalities reported, mid-afternoon and off-piste.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
extremerob wrote:
https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3048255/eight-foreign-nationals-caught-avalanche-japans-hokkaido-one

Avalanche in Tomamu, 8 caught, no fatalities reported, mid-afternoon and off-piste.

Sadly I fear that one person will have passed away. Japanese police take a long time to declare a person deceased. (I think it needs to be declared by a doctor or some other official practice) The reports are saying one person is in 'cardio-pulmonary arrest' which unfortunately is the term normally used when a person is not responding, but hasn't been formally declared dead.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@Themasterpiece, @SnoodlesMcFlude, Think Kiroro will be our plan for tomorrow.

Today was a short tour up Mt Yotei and a cuppa in the "Focca" Cafe Laughing

Is that typical understatement, as in we sumited the 1300m Mt Yotei, or was it just a short tour Very Happy

I ask because Mt Yotei is one of my targets in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering what conditions are like.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PowderAdict, Nah, we skinned upto about 800m, just below the "Terrace". A bit of a warm up really. Snow was humidified even at that level and there was no chance of a view, but in 2 weeks it will have reset.

Plenty of Europeans about lapping the section we were in and a well established skin track.

According to the route we looked at it's full ice axe and crampon stuff for the full ascent.
ski holidays
Resorts seemed slow to confirm lift openings so we opted for another tour, this time up the Waisuhorun. Amazing how localised the conditions are. On our side of Niseko there wasn't much doing plus high winds, but as we drove over the wind dropped and there was a nice layer of fresh.

We got moved on from the top of the trail head by a man in a yellow van for parking, but found another spot not too far away. Conditions were nice in the trees but wind affected and thin above the tree line.
latest report
We ended up going to Mt Teine today as it had been snowing, and still was when we arrived. However, the top lifts were closed due to high winds. They were on “standby” to open, but there is little to ski in the bottom section only so we skipped lunch and drove to Kokusai. Had a nice afternoon with some good snow in the trees.
snow report
Japow on the way next week? My recollection was that SF underestimated JP precip? This was Niseko
latest report
Arriving on Monday Smile
latest report
Next week looking 'normal'
ski holidays
Question - what is the situation with rescue (from injury) outside the resort boundary? Probably something I should have looked up before my trip... Our guide said ski patrol won’t come and get you. Is there mountain rescue and phone numbers for different resorts? (Let’s set aside the cost/insurance aspect for now)
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Japow on the way next week? My recollection was that SF underestimated JP precip? This was Niseko

In my (brief) experience they seemed quite accurate on when it snowed but as you say seemed to underestimate the amount. If I was going and there was that forecast I’d be like a dog with two dicks.
snow conditions
Another avalanche incident. Up in the north of the island. An Englishman in his 30s has died.

Be careful all.
snow conditions
@MagSeven, I said today that I wouldn't be surprised if there was another incident, sad that I was right Sad

Any more info?
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@MagSeven, I said today that I wouldn't be surprised if there was another incident, sad that I was right Sad

Any more info?

Just that it was at Nakatonbetsu, today and the victim was in his 30s. I’ve only seen a Japanese article with not much more info than that.
latest report
Japanese news site reporting the guy's name, but not much other info. No idea if his next of kin have been informed, so won't be posting name here.
snow conditions
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/02/01/national/two-men-including-briton-killed-japan-avalanches/

This article mentions the Hokkaido avalanche as well as a further one in Nagano
latest report
Avalanche deaths on Hokkaido have been a long time coming.

Lots of people taking unnecessary risks, often in large groups skiing the slope at the same time.

There's a problematic rain layer which hasn't bonded.

Next storm cycle could be carnage.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are pist-skier one tip:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3526130#3526130

However I did try power here. snowHead
snow report
So who is in Niseko Hirafu Monday next week for beer o'clock ?
ski holidays
I'm in Very Happy
latest report
Laughing
snow report
Me too
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, need to take @KenX, to the Fridge Door bar, can't remember the actual name Laughing

snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@Mike Pow, need to take @KenX, to the Fridge Door bar, can't remember the actual name Laughing
Bar Gyu. Love that place, great music for a chilled evening.
ski holidays
@Mac46, Are you based in Sendai? snowHead
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Me too
any tips for weekend destination from Tokyo this weekend? Hope to get to Hokkaido next week work permitting...
snow report
Yuzawa, easy on the Shinkansen (Tokyo to Echigo-Yuzawa train). Gala Yuzawa easily accessible from the main station in the valley, or you could head up to Kagura or Naeba nearby. The snow is looking a bit better in that area now.
ski holidays
@MagSeven, thanks! I saw it takes 3 hours to get to Hakuba by train and lots of snow forecast there. Worth the effort?

And was also recommended Hakkoda but looks like a flight required.

Happy to put in the effort / $ to get the best snow / terrain.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, Be warned there is no going back snowHead Once you sample the full Japanese powder experience it will become an addiction.......

Btw: I stuck a quick review of the 138 in the Colour Coordination thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3526752#3526752
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy