Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2019 - 20

Poster: A snowHead
There is some stunning terrain above Happo One

First sunny day today and oh boy it was fun

http://youtube.com/v/PYm6aUca1TI

Until a mistake crossing this river ended my ski day with some waterlogged boots!

Desperately trying to dry them for a proposed 4hr hike to the peak of Mt Karamatsu tomorrow. Won’t be fun in wet boots...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My lack of updates is due to being floored by a bad cold. It looks like I picked it up on my return flight from Geneva on the 2nd, and then was successfully fighting it for the first few days of the tour. The very cold day on Furano dake allowed the cold to take over, and I've been in no state to ski let alone tour Sad

I tried a quick tour on our transfer day yesterday at Minami Furano, but only made it up 300m as it was clear it wasn't doing me any good and I was slowing down the group. The big disappointment is that tomorrow looks like being the attempt on Mt Yotei, which was my main objective for going on this tour. It would have been at the upper limit of my endurance when fit, but I wouldn't even attempt it as I feel at the moment Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PowderAdict, Fingers crossed for a recovery over night ! Having done a short tour on the hill and then seen it from afar it's now on my list.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mt Yotei the week last:

We toured up to the 'scoop' you can see in the first image as a warm up. The temperature had gone up so higher wasn't compelling. For a full ascent, axe and boot crampons required.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 12-02-20 10:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@AndAnotherThing.., looks awesome!

@PowderAdict, Hope you shake it off soon.

We climbed Mt Karamatsu, above Happo One today. Lots of Japanese climbing it but none with skis Puzzled . Wind was brutal at the top with a warm, Southerly front on its way. Didn’t fancy the big cornices off the summit so down climbed to the ridge

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fab photos@BobinCH, can I ask what camera you use ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@skimottaret, thanks! iPhone 11 Pro
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The route down
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snow was still great on the down. Creamier than yesterday with wind and warming temps but face shots still on offer skiing behind twin tips Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/YMrwh43jDxw

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 12-02-20 12:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, Nice line Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well tried ski touring today, we did 400m and as snow was transforming to porridge retired for an onsen and ramen.

Tomorrow the plan is Yotei and I'm bailing what with knee which is not good after today, crappy snow lower down and probably shite above treeline.

So @KenX, will be representing Serre Che Collective.

Oh well would have been interesting Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Really glad you are getting such good stuff mate....its not often I see you get well and truly outpaced on a run down like that though Very Happy

Stefan is particularly jealous...it was all a bit pedestrian for him over the weekend with you in Japan!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PowderAdict, hope you manage to get up Yotei, if not tomorrow, then some time soon!
I’m going to do my best tomorrow and see if I can make it to the top, keep you posted Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
Well tried ski touring today, we did 400m and as snow was transforming to porridge retired for an onsen and ramen.

Tomorrow the plan is Yotei and I'm bailing what with knee which is not good after today, crappy snow lower down and probably shite above treeline.

So @KenX, will be representing Serre Che Collective.

Oh well would have been interesting Sad

Oh bug. Hope the knee settles down and you get another shot at the weekend with cooler temps!

Ps there’s someone calling Serre Che, Serre Chavlier on another thread in case you need a distraction...

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 12-02-20 14:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rungsp wrote:
Really glad you are getting such good stuff mate....its not often I see you get well and truly outpaced on a run down like that though Very Happy

Is that the Japanese guide out in front? Maybe it's me, but if you're going to spend half the day walking up a mountain, then I really don't see the sense in straight-lining it down a powder field. Might as well stay on piste.
latest report
rungsp wrote:

Stefan is particularly jealous...it was all a bit pedestrian for him over the weekend with you in Japan!

Haha yes Millsy was ribbing me about that. What you can’t see is that he’s on a 120mm rockered pow ski and I’m on some 1300g touring skis. Would have had him on the 124 A’s Very Happy

Will keep quiet about the fact that they were quicker than me on the up Embarassed

Sorry to miss Stefan - always enjoy skiing with him. Have been following his travel adventures with interest.
snow report
jellylegs wrote:
rungsp wrote:

Is that the Japanese guide out in front? Maybe it's me, but if you're going to spend half the day walking up a mountain, then I really don't see the sense in straight-lining it down a powder field. Might as well stay on piste.

That’s Riley, 23yo Aussie ripper. He wasn’t straight lining - this is how modern freeriders ski. I wouldn’t knock it until you’ve tried it wink
ski holidays
Too warm around Otaru.

snow conditions
@mooney058, very warm here in Niseko too.

Though the good news is that @KenX, is not back yet, which hopefully means that he's summited Yotei, though I did give him my Garmin InReach to message me when he was transitioning, so without sounding like a worried Mother just hope he couldn't work out how to use it rather than somethings happened, as well as the fact as he's not back he's having a well-earned beer somewhere?

Further Edit: just heard that he made it Very Happy
ski holidays
To the summit or the beer? snowHead
snow report
Well my tour group made it to the summit and crater, but were pretty wiped out by the effort. I wouldn't have stood a chance.

Crater shot below, I don't know if your group are in the background.

1fcc7b14-04fc-44c6-925c-f66498874098
latest report
@PowderAdict, wasn’t us, it was untracked when we arrived!
Long day though as I’m sure your guys told you!
We started at 07:00 and topped out just before midday, pretty technical around 300m from the top which was hard work.....
Absolutely chuffed to have had the chance to do it on a nice day, not many do....
Also amazed at the quality of the snow, it was hard-packed powder but skied like spring snow pretty much all the way down.
Climbing out of the crater:

snow report
Superb pic!
ski holidays
Slightly off topic but if anyone was gonna go to Hokkaido for 10 days would you prefer to base in Niseko and do a few day trips, or, stay Niseko for say 6 nights and say 4 nights in Rutsutsu, Furano etc.
I am looking at a group trip there for next year and doing a road trip wouldn't work out but I am slightly concerned 10 nights in one place may be too long but the aggro of upping sticks and moving to a commutable resort may not be worth the hassle.
snow report
Definitely do two-centre

Niseko Resort Area and Otaru
Niseko Resort Area and Furano
Otaru and Furano
snow conditions
@skimottaret, Depending on the group, Mikes suggestion of the Niseko Resort Area and Furano rings true with me.

Pretty much what we did on this last trip. I personally think the Furano side of the island has a different vibe to Niseko area.
snow report
A few Pics and itinerary from our recent trip here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151648#3535820
snow conditions
I did 8 nights Furano, 8 nights Niseko. You can do easy day trips from Niseko to Rusutsu and Kirorro on a bus for around the same cost as a day lift ticket in Niseko (cost is for bus and lift ticket) if you don't have a car.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been rubbish the past three days.

Freeze thaw, Spring without the sun.

Dumping since 6pm.

Tomorrow should be top notch
snow report
Hi mike Pow I'm in furano now we skied mt Tokachidake today just 40 min west of furano was nice in places but needs a good dump of snow ,it's snowing now but with 50 - 70 km winds the lifts will be closed tomorrow Monday I think@Mike Pow,
latest report
In Sapporo now and the bloody snowplough’s woken me up at 05:30, how inconsiderate Mad
Oh well, as I’m awake, may as well go and shred as it’s our last day Very Happy
snow conditions
Yeah it's windy down here too

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 17-02-20 6:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
We’ll be packing skins, the plan was to shred the sidecountry at Kokusai, but there’s every chance the lifts won’t be running in 50kmh winds.......
snow conditions
Going to be an interesting day, though yesterday was pretty memorable as well!

More about that laters, as we're out of here shortly.
snow report
Mmmmm looks like twas the wrong call coming here to Kokusai, only 5cm Sad

We might go elsewhere, phone calls being made plus station currently closed due to wind.

Now off to Teine
ski holidays
Howling at Furano

Saw some folks taking a taxi to Kamui Links. It is 50 km away from Furano but you never know, winds might not be as strong over there
latest report
Kokusai did not open and announced that they would be closed all day.

Many Free Ride groups (non Japanese) disappointed.

We opted to take a skin track in the forest and climbed circa 300m and were rewarded with some nice turns.

Snow tad slabby higher up with strong winds.

I'm sitting the next climb out as @KenX opts for one more as knee not too good, but that was more as a result of yesterday.

Our guid was like many out here, knows the area but not a guide as in the UIAGM sense, so there are a few shortfalls especially as ours was on a snowboard Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 17-02-20 7:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Chose Rusutsu.

Lots of lifts closed and big queues for the gondola but only waited a couple of minutes for the chairs.

Skied a morning of untracked, creamy powder in the trees and a few open shots.

It's warm and windy.

Not a good mix in these parts.
snow report
@Mike Pow, @Mike Pow, I was told Rusutsu was closed today so skinned up furano instead nice powder in the premium zone but it was howling up top,blue bird this afternoon. I'm going for an onsen.
latest report
Yet another who was at Kokusai before first lift and also left before first lift, as it became clear the majority of the resorts in that range would be closed/restricted.

We decamped down to Asari lower down the valley which was fully open with its 4 lifts. We had fun in the untracked tree skiing on both sides of the top lift on a 3 hour ticket before having lunch and going to an Onsen.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy