Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2019 - 20

Poster: A snowHead
@MagSeven, found Kagura. 1 hr 30 by train to Yuzawa. Far from there? Forecast looks good!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 3-02-20 18:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And Hakkoda looks like it’s going off but windy!

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, Nozawa, Hakuba and Shiga all good weekend options from Tokyo (of these Hakuba has the best terrain and all three are better than places closer to Tokyo, but it’s one of those time/quality balances). All about 3 hours 30. You’d definitely want to fly rather than get train to Hokkaido if you are short of time.

If you are just going for the weekend from Tokyo I’d bin work early on the Friday and get Shinkansen to Nagano. And then pull a sicky on Monday.

If you’ve not been before do try and work in an evening at an onsen. And if you ended up in Nozawa drop into the Stay Bar.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @nozawaonsen! I went to Hokkaido in 2014 (Niseko, Furano, Asahidake, Kurodake). Good conditions but not full on blower powder except for one day at Furano which was the lightest snow I’ve ever seen! Onsens were awesome!

It’s a work trip so no bunking but hoping to extend on my own time at the end and potentially join the Serre Che touring collective.

Hakuba sounds like the weekend option. 3hrs on the train is fine and looks like I can 2 full days skiing and get back Sunday night. Easy to find the good terrain or best to look into a guide?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Might want to touch base with https://www.mountainlife.jp/ Never used them but always been impressed with their internet presence. Suspect they may not have something short notice for this weekend, but might know someone who does.

Sounds like a nice trip if you can catch up with @Weathercam and co later.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@nozawaonsen, will try them. Thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
Me too
any tips for weekend destination from Tokyo this weekend? Hope to get to Hokkaido next week work permitting...

Looking like everyone getting the goods this storm.

MagSeven knows his poo-poo.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're going to Hakuba stay at Tony's place.

Everything you need.

And he'll show you where the best stuff is

https://www.whitehorse-hakuba.com/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alas neither Tony nor the guides I tried have availability. Trying Dancingsnow at Myoko recommended by Whiteroom tours. Seems like lots of snow forecast around Nagano over the weekend!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Currently in Furano and had some great snow yesterday. Looking at snow forecast it seems that Sapporo area will do better in the next few days - given the limited snow report accuracy can anyone local let us know the conditions and any view on the forecasts?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In Rusutsu - who needs lunch?! Epic day, sunny and still pockets of deep snow to be found

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gave up - to much my one is bigger than you one on here, and promotion of none Japanese accommodation. Sad

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 5-02-20 12:22; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Guide:

overall it is a very very bad season. With good weather and a refresh of snow, some higher places are ok. The Happo backcountry is mostly pretty good. Tree skiing is not great, or terrible in some spots. However there are two storms coming this week and weekend, which will improve a little. Everything helps.

Hostel owner:

Hakuba is the place you need to check out. We have the best BC in Japan. The forecast is looking really good and you will score excellent conditions

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, ha!

For what it’s worth here are the Hakuba stats (as of 25 Jan).

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, brilliant Laughing

I was looking at my radar app and interesting to see how the snow at the moment just tracks across the South of Hokkaido Cool
ski holidays
Seems to be dumping today and forecast for more on Fri and Sat night so going to give Happo one a shot. This pic from a Swiss brother from yesterday sealed the deal. Seems to be acceptable up high!
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@BobinCH, brilliant Laughing

I was looking at my radar app and interesting to see how the snow at the moment just tracks across the South of Hokkaido Cool

I see Siberian temps but forecast seems to have dialed back a bit. Understand Furano got 30-40cm a couple of days back.
Been using this for an overview
https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-daily-snow-weather-reports
latest report
@BobinCH, Happo One (O-nay) as in Happo peak/ridge. Great photo.
snow report
BigWaveDave on the AU forum made this Video about their stay in Shiga Kogen, while the snow situation was bad acording to many forum posts:

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/shiga-kogen-2019-2020.86082/page-13#post-4171670
ski holidays
Anyone in Sapporo city right now?

I'm amazed at the snowfall stats this evening. Apparently 34cm has fallen in the city today, with 20cm of that being over a 2 hour period this evening. I can only imagine what seeing snowfall at 10cm/hour in the middle of a major city must be like!
snow conditions
Looks like Myoko is also getting plastered
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8L81iulzu6/?igshid=tybd9mf4752d
latest report
@BobinCH, mate who has arrived to look after the dogs etc whilst we're away, has friends there at the moment, and he said as much, though I had no idea where it was rolling eyes
ski holidays
Myoko Kogen often gets big snowfall.
snow conditions
musehead wrote:
Anyone in Sapporo city right now?

I'm amazed at the snowfall stats this evening. Apparently 34cm has fallen in the city today, with 20cm of that being over a 2 hour period this evening. I can only imagine what seeing snowfall at 10cm/hour in the middle of a major city must be like!

Dumping
ski holidays
SW Hokkaido firing

Rusutsu, Kiroro, Niseko in that order.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Very Happy
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, and @KenX, and a few days for it to stabilise whilst we travel out Cool
snow conditions
I just arrived in Furano to be greeted by a couple of hours of light snow with more forecast, and the news that they had 25cm earlier in the week snowHead

Our group also got a hotel upgrade as apparently the North Country Inn over booked, so we all got bumped to the Hitohana which is a massively better year old boutique hotel.

I'm here on a dedicated back country tour, so in resort conditions are of little consequence, but they do of course give an indication of the state of the snow pack. I'll try to update a trip report.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Myoko Kogen often gets big snowfall.

I’d also never heard of it but seems to be something of a snow magnet. 105cm last night Shocked

Feb trying to make up for Jan!
ski holidays
Forecast for next few days looks Japowtastic with more snow, cold and sun on Sun, Tue/Wed snowHead
But then temps shoot up on Weds with rain on Weds night Crying or Very sad
latest report
Some colour from Myokosnowsports IG story:

snow report

First day on skis in Japan this year, on the Whiteroom Backcountry Tour. There are four of us with one guide, three skiers and a split boarder.

Today was the standard test and equipment check day, so a relatively close visit to Sahoro, in reality a small parking lot on the approach road, and kick some steps into the snow bank the opposite side of the road, before we started skinning. The snow was remarkably good, and the guide reckons he is the only one who has skied this route this season as there are no other tracks.

If this vertical was a test day, I may be doomed Shocked
ski holidays
Japan has a rep for being flat. Looks pretty steep at the top of there! Although riding a 2m crown avalanche to the bottom probably rules it out for now!

snow report
I skied at Pippu today, a small resort near Asahikawa - definitely a ski hill, rather than a mountain!

Was much better than I was expecting, given the reported base depth of 50cm at the bottom and 80cm at the top.

Skied some fun mellow powder lines through the trees, skiers right from the top lift, which I found less bushy and tightly packed compared to Kiroro and Kokusai the previous couple of weeks. Easy to get fresh tracks. The snow felt a bit heavier, probably due to the low altitude. The resort reported 5cm this morning but it seemed more like 10cm at the bottom and 15cm at the top, with soft snow underneath that.

I skinned up to the peak from the top lift, only about 20 minutes skinning (partially on a summer road) and nobody else had been up there. There's a wooden lookout platform that would probably have fantastic views on a clear day. Recommended!

Good value lift pass of 2800 Yen for 4 hours including lunch (a choice of shoryu ramen or curry rice)
snow conditions
@musehead, I also liked Pippu when I was there a couple of years ago. Ten of us puts fresh lines into that wooded area all day without issue.

Do they still have the meat hook/pizza box lift to the top?
snow conditions
@PowderAdict, Yep it's still the same weird pizza box lift!

Yeah, you can go quite far out into the wooded area especially if you don't mind walking for 5-10 minutes along the summer road from the top lift before dropping into the trees. I can't imagine it ever getting fully tracked out.
latest report
Just loving Japan. It’s the most amazing place to visit. The people, the culture, the food, THE POWDER!!!

http://youtube.com/v/JRzzmHjAGuk
snow report
Wot powder?

snow report
Encore
ski holidays
So that is how they make snow? snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy