Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will I remember how to snowboard?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if anyone has had a long break from snowboarding, and how they found getting back into it?
I learned to snowboard around 12 years ago as a 14 year old on a weeks holiday, took to it well and was able to navigate black runs/moguls by day 5. I loved it more than anything else I’ve done but unfortunately the rest of my family weren’t so keen so we didn’t go on any more ski holidays after that.

Since then I haven’t snowboarded at all, I’ve wakeboarded a little bit and learned to ski on holiday with my boyfriend but somehow it doesn’t give me that same feeling that snowboarding did!

Soooo we’ve booked another ski holiday in January and I’m desperate to try snowboarding again...my question is how hard will it be to re-learn it all? Will it be like riding a bike or would I need to start from scratch with beginner snowboard school? Not keen to spend the whole holiday sliding down the nursery slope on my bum Sad

Would love to hear other peoples experiences... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Holly, welcome to Snowheads.
If you only were riding for a week you will still probably want to take some tuition. Most groups will be OK in you changing groups if you are clearly unsuited to the level you've gone for (up or down). Maybe look at doing a few hours at a UK slope before you go with an instructor to see if it all comes back. In my experience of people coming back to skiing or snowboarding after a break, the trepidation usually evaporates pretty much after 1 day back and they recover their previous form quickly.

Either way, enjoy your trip!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Holly2409, Another welcome to Snowheads.
A couple of trips to a snowdome will get you back into it for sure.
Enjoy the anticipation for your January trip.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just get your weight further forward than feels natural and it will quickly all come back.

Also, watch a load of vids on YouTube but there is no substitute to taking some lessons.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice guys!

I think I’ll book a beginner lesson at chill factore just to see if any of it comes back to me. I’d really just like to be able to get up (lol), get on/off the lift, turn, control my speed and stop by the end of the lesson so I can keep practicing on my own a few times before January.

Youtube is a good idea as well, will definitely watch some videos to remind me of the basics!

Thinking of booking some private lessons for the first few days of the holiday as well but I have no idea how many? I’d like to be confident on red runs in order to keep up with the rest of the group. Any Idea how long it would take for a beginner to confidently get down the mountain on a mix of blue/red runs? Then if it comes quicker due to having learned before it will be a bonus!

Might invest in a pair of those padded bum pants Laughing

Wish me luck!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Butt protection and maybe basic wrist protectors may be a plan ~ learning how to fall properly is a better long term plan, but some padding and plastic will help in the early days. Helmet is pretty much standard kit for everyone these days if you didn't use one first time around, and they do protect the old coconut on the inevitable lift bar clonk.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"I’d like to be confident on red runs in order to keep up with the rest of the group. Any Idea how long it would take for a beginner to confidently get down the mountain on a mix of blue/red runs?"

So four years ago I had one private lesson in La Thuile and it essentially just focused on the break position and how to utilise it. That was enough for me having skateboarded and surfed most of my life (not to a great level I must add)

By the end of the weekend (was only a three day trip) I was relatively happy on Blues. I was working in Italy at the time so went again a couple of weekends later and again was fine on blues and tried a red. Got down it but VERY slowly Smile

I then didn't do anything for a year and went on a trip with friends the next year. I was awful and was trying things that were well above my ability just because I was with friends. Not dangerous but not fun so I eventually told them to budder off and I'd meet them for lunch. By the end of the week I was comfortable on reds but not to their ability. I was nowhere near the slowness of my previous trip but enjoying myself.

The next year, straight out on blues and reds for the first day and then spent the rest of the week on reds and off piste.

So my advice would be this based on what you;ve said and my own experience:

1. Get a private lesson in the UK before you head out there. Focus on the break position and some turns and you'll soon see if it all comes flooding back or if you need to focus on something in particular.
2. Depending on 1 you could spend the rest of the day familiarising yourself on your own or some more lesson time
3. When you get out there tell your travelling party you're just gonna spend the first half of the day on your own (or with them if they need to refresh as most people like to) just focusing on blue runs
4. By lunch time on your first day you should have a fairly comfortable view of whether you can set off onto reds or want a few lessons when you're out there.

Hope that helps Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 to lessons, snowdomes and wristguards

It won't be quite like learning it from new, but you'll have a ropey day or two hence the suggestion to practice in the UK first.

If I were you I would also be open to switching back to skis if I couldn't keep up with the group/your OH.

Remember to spot your line and keep your speed coming in to long flats.

Have fun.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes you will remember. How quickly is the question. I don't think you need wristguards or padded shorts, or lessons, or a visit to the bootfitter, what is this a skiers thread?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Holly2409,

Welcome to Snowheads.

The answer is most definitely not! You will be like Bambi on ice. Snowboarding was trendy when you were a kid but it's no longer in vogue.

Time to try skiing! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ooh, style and trend advice from Durham no less! If we want advice on what's hot in the world of cardigans, we'll let you know.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Richard_Sideways, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone, really useful!

So I took the plunge and went for an indoor group lesson, loved it! Definitely converted (or I suppose un-converted)!

Was surprised, had some doubts when I first strapped my feet in and realised I remembered nothing but once I got moving it just came quite naturally- didn’t need butt pads Laughing

Still very rusty though so going to try and go a couple of times to practice before holiday and I’ve booked an all day private lesson for our first day there to set me up for the rest of the week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy