Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dec weekend skiing from GVA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking for recommendations, please...

Flying into GVA 18/12 with a plan to ski 19-22/12 with an evening flight back that night. Myself and 16 yr old son, both competent skiers.

Morzine/ Avoriaz is an obvious choice in terms of transfer but I’ve been there loads and not sure of snow certainty in Dec?

As we effectively have a travel day on 18th and are prepared to accept a part day on the slopes on 22nd I wouldn’t rule out a longer transfer to try somewhere we haven’t been before.

Looking for recommendations for reliable snow cover (accepting the usual caveats) within hire car striking distance (2.5hrs ish?), self catering apartment, ideally.

Thank you.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Verbier or Chamonix for good skiers. If Verbier, try Le Châble for lower prices and quick lift access. Airbnb or booking.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe wait until nearer the time to firm up? No way of knowing how it will be yet but PDs and Grand Massif (Flaine) are all short transfers and could be great.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd wait a bit and see where the best conditions are. Even Tignes can be done in 2.5 from Geneva and that's as snow sure as they come.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The ski-test weekend ( the weekend before you are planning on coming) has evolved into a music and snow thing now.
Last year there was a bit of music, but it looks like this year they are expanding the content.
http://rockonsnow.com/?fbclid=IwAR0bubKImMhXEZmGsqy0-2ok9yLNUVwXtwucvZpDQmLlwppmQr73pFTJT24#programme
Nobody knows what the snow will be like in 6 weeks time, but there's a fair amount already, and this morning we had 5 inches at 1250m in PdS.
The promo video looks nice though Smile
http://rockonsnow.com/?fbclid=IwAR0bubKImMhXEZmGsqy0-2ok9yLNUVwXtwucvZpDQmLlwppmQr73pFTJT24#tests

The weekend after (when you are coming) is normally very quiet, although this year that is the start of Christmas week, so I expect it will be pretty busy wherever you go.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
90 mins from the airport to Le Chable on google maps, does that sounds about right? Will be looking myself mid Jan Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ski Tyke, I wouldn't leave it too long to decide. That weekend accommodation will be in short supply, it overlaps with Christmas week. Some in Le Châble has already gone.

Whilst there's no guarantee this early season snow will hang around down low, it's a great base higher up.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was in Avoriaz for new year last year and conditions were a bit poor in some lower areas but you could ski down to Prodains on decent snow. Couple thin and icy areas in places, especially across some of the ridges where snow was being blown off by wind. You can get a bit of an idea from this video. Didn't bother dropping down to Morzine as all looked a bit bare and seemed a lot of people were coming up the valley anyway.

http://youtube.com/v/wQmxHWyw-4o
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ski Tyke, May I wish you good luck. Asking for a self catering apartment for the first Saturday night of one of the busiest weeks of the season may prove a bit of a problem. You may have to book the whole week.

It may be easier to look for a hotel room in, say Aime, and drive upto the resort each day. We did it a couple years ago (though not on a busy week). Arrived late on the Friday night, skied Les Arcs on the Saturday, early breakfast and packup with no cleaning to do on the Sunday then drove up to Valmorrel on the Sunday. Finished at 16:00 then drove back to Geneva.

Did the same another year, but this time stayed in Crolle for Les 7 Laux and Chamrousse. It doesn't have to be a big resort for a weekend trip.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steve Sparks wrote:
@Ski Tyke, I wouldn't leave it too long to decide. That weekend accommodation will be in short supply, it overlaps with Christmas week. Some in Le Châble has already gone.

Whilst there's no guarantee this early season snow will hang around down low, it's a great base higher up.

This ^^^

Go high. For example:

Or something like this: https://abnb.me/16Qhp6dQr1
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ski Tyke, the xmas week sat sat advice is valid. We are Sat-Sat for xmas and NY. We are otherwise very flexible.

But high weeks?

No chance.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That said ...

Above Chamonix

https://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/webcam/FlegereHD.jpg
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the messages everyone.

Like the look of 4 vallees, not really hit my radar before.

Nendaz seems to have more choice of accommodation than Le Chable. Any pitfalls to staying there?

Looks like a new lift opening imminently too. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy