Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, I’m thinking about taking my 4 children to avoriaz in March. I’m just a bit concerned about the parking and walking to the accommodation as out youngest is 3 years old. Plus all the luggage and kit. Are the horse and cart taxis easy to get? It will be the first time I take the kids skiing and want it to be as hassle free as possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes all very easy, we usually bag drop and leave someone at the taxi rank area whilst I go and park car!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dingle, welcome to snowHead s!

As @marcellus, said, it should be straightforward, particularly in March. Saturdays in high season or night-time arrivals can be complicated, otherwise it's all well organised. Check whether your accommodation is close to either the welcome-centre at the top or télécabine at the bottom - you may not even need transport. Luggage sledges are available if you choose to yomp it. Throughout your stay you'll appreciate a plastic sledge to pull your toddler around in, and use the "ascenseurs public" to get around the resort without unnecessary uphill trudging. Do it! It's great for kids!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avoriaz has a number of quite hidden stair/lift/escalator routes to help you get between the different levels so worth having a good look at a resort map before you go to save you doing laps via the roads.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the quick replies. Would it be best to go with the likes of crystal or to book things individually? I just want it all to be plain sailing and as enjoyable as possible for the kids. So hopefully they’ll be keen to go again. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dingle wrote:
I just want it all to be plain sailing and as enjoyable as possible for the kids.

These might not be the same thing....

While a DIY might take a bit more effort, you benefit from:
Wider choice of flights, Choice of transfer provider (private means no waiting around at the airport), or car hire, or self drive.
Choice of ski hire provider, choice of ski school, choice of lift pass package, not getting kicked out of your accommodation at 6am on departure day...
This might make it more enjoyable for your kids .....

Otherwise just package it for plain sailing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WindOfChange wrote:
Dingle wrote:
I just want it all to be plain sailing and as enjoyable as possible for the kids.

These might not be the same thing....

While a DIY might take a bit more effort, you benefit from:
Wider choice of flights, Choice of transfer provider (private means no waiting around at the airport), or car hire, or self drive.
Choice of ski hire provider, choice of ski school, choice of lift pass package, not getting kicked out of your accommodation at 6am on departure day...
This might make it more enjoyable for your kids .....

Otherwise just package it for plain sailing.

Agree with the above points.

If you do decide to go DIY sunweb are worth checking out. Haven't used them personally, but they're well priced as they include the lift pass.
I generally just use Airbnb, but there's plenty of options out there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wouldn't go to Avoriaz on your first trip with small kids. Not much going on there outside of snow sports. No town centre (it's a purpose built resort). Desolate on a bleak day.
Morzine might be better as has a real town centre, plenty of transport options and easy terrain available for kids.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd say opposite - easy to get to snow with 4 kids, getting them across Morzine would be a PITA. Avoriaz has aquariaz at least and other stuff to do like building snowmen !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
orange wrote:
I'd say opposite - easy to get to snow with 4 kids, getting them across Morzine would be a PITA. Avoriaz has aquariaz at least and other stuff to do like building snowmen !

Fair enough. Just thinking of access and real town environment. But once you're there and you just want to be on the snow it's probably fine!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@orange, inclined to agree. The whole 'no car' set up makes it a bit special for the nippers too.

Try and pick somewhere reasonably close to town centre though, the escalators don't always work so best to be nearer the bunny slopes in town if you can.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@orange, +1
Also being car free, there are fewer fumes and less chance of being run over.
It also has the charm of horse drawn carts.
It really feels like a mountain holiday, as you are up on the cliffs - Morzine is like Guilford but with snow.
You can get to the good bits of the PdS much better from Avoriaz while the children are in ski-school.
The Lil'Stash and Proclou sector is full of fun for kids and beginners.
The elder children will love the Chapelle Park, the Stash, and the Canyon Schott, the BoarderX, the mini-half pipe, going to Switzerland etc...

Apart from the Bec Jaune, and the relative ease of going to Mt Chery or the Roc of Hell Circuit, I can't see many ways where Morzine outscores Avoriaz in March.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
5RED wrote:
Wouldn't go to Avoriaz on your first trip with small kids. Not much going on there outside of snow sports. No town centre (it's a purpose built resort). Desolate on a bleak day.
Morzine might be better as has a real town centre, plenty of transport options and easy terrain available for kids.

I’d say the opposite too, what could be better for a child’s first ski trip than able to walk out of the door of their apartment into snow?

Plus the swim place, plus there’s a great kids play area running through the centre in sight of bars, so kids can toboggan all evening under adult supervision for the bar, just being refused with hot chocolate when needed!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone for all the advice. The kids have seen the tropical swimming pool and youtube vids of the area and are keen to go to Avoriaz. Just need to find somewhere to fit the 6 of us now Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dingle, I seems like you have your heart set on Avoriaz, but if your with young kids for their first ski holiday, I wouldn't discount the likes of Esprit.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy