Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does a binding exist that allows the foot to be rotated / offset from the centre line of the ski?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
One of my foot is offset by 10-15 degrees compared to the other - can I get a ski binding to compensate?

I had a motorbike accident 15 years ago in which I broke my Fibula and Tibia just above the ankle. I had to have a metal plate to hold everything together while the bones repaired. When the surgeon was re attaching my foot it appears that they do so with my foot slightly rotated 10-15 degrees outwards.

When I stand with my legs and knees in a neutral position - one foot is rotated outwards by 10-15 degrees more than the other.

I'm an intermediate snowboarder and this issue has never been a problem as one can rotate the bindings on a snowboard so I can avoid straining my knees / hips by having my 'bad' foot in an unnatural position - my question is does anyone know if a ski binding may exist that will enable me to do the same ie to have my foot point out about 10-15 degrees from the centre line of the ski?

Asking as I'm interested to also learn to ski but from an initial lesson at an indoor slope I can sense that to force my feet to be parallel is going to put a strain on my knee (even worse when snow-ploughing of course).

It's a hard thing to google for as all the hits I get are for adjusting how bindings release which isn't what I'm asking.

Thanks in advance Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some of the boot manufacturers experimented with abducted stance boots a few years ago but I'm not sure whether it caught on. I don't think any of them went further than c. 6 degrees of offset, though, so not the range you are looking for but possibly worth investigating further. Nordica and Fischer were the main manufacturers doing this iirc.

Regarding bindings, I don't think there's any reason why you could not simply mount a binding on a ski with 15 degrees of offset, provided that the screws were within the mounting area of the binding. I guess the question is whether you should and whether the forces generated during skiing with that sort of setup would be likely to cause joint injury. Doesn't sound fantastic for the knee joints but then I'm not a professional.

CEM at solutions for feet in Bicester is v. strong on this sort of stuff.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It would need to be quite a wide ski to offset by 15 degrees.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@happysailingdude, I’m sort of in the same position, but I was born with a club left foot rotated inwards, so I have to rotate outwards by a similar 10-15 degrees to the outside. However since I was born like that my muscles and bones developed so that although my foot rotates inwards when I walk, it is straight when it hits the ground.

When I first bought my own skis, I considered angled bindings, but in those days a wide ski was 80mm, so it wasn’t an option. You would need something in the 100mm wide range minimum, as skis have specific material under the mounting points, and by angling the binding, you may be onsite that strengthened area. You may be able to get around that by mounting a plate on the ski, then the binding on top of that.

Spyderjon from The Piste Office will know what may be possible.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all for your replies and apologies for my slow response (didn't see a notification email).

There are some useful leads and some intelligent information for me to factor in here - thank you all very much, really appreciate your help.

What @gorilla said about "the question is whether you should and whether the forces generated during skiing with that sort of setup would be likely to cause joint injury. Doesn't sound fantastic for the knee joints" is a real consideration.

Also thank you @snowrider you are right - plus I'm a UK 11.5 (EU 46) so this is a real consideration.

I will reach out to The Piste Office as you suggested - thanks @PowderAdict.

If anyone else reads this and knows of someone who skis with a foot that is offset (rotated from the norm - perhaps from a bad break) I'd be hugely grateful to hear from them regarding possible strain on knee joints in the longer term.

I was hoping skiing might be a good option for as I get older (snowboarding does involve quite a lot of time sat on one's behind / falling over) but I don't want to harm my knee / ankle and be able to do neither sport!

Thanks again for your replies - really appreciate it Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gorilla wrote:

...CEM at solutions for feet in Bicester is v. strong on this sort of stuff.

This sounds like s good call as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Following this thread with interest. After my slight mishap a couple of years ago my left footpoints very slightly inwards. Will I constantly be doing a slight snowplough turn to the right when I finally get on the snow again ? Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sequoiaborg, talk to a podiatrist and a boot fitter. Ron McCulloch in Lewisham is very good on sports podiatry issues. The aforementioned CEM in Bicester is also very good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like a trip to Andi McCann would be useful. He often works with CEM.

https://www.solutions4feet.com/skier-balance---alignment
https://www.alpinelearningcurves.co.uk/ski-lessons-alc/andi-mccann-alpine-skiing/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy