Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine or Les Contamines at Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My family have pleasantly surprised me by requesting a ski trip for this Christmas.

One option for us would be to AirBnB an apartment at Tignes, but if we're self-catering we're likely to get less of the social side that my wife enjoys (I just want to get on the white stuff Smile ).

Another option that I'm looking at is at Flaine or Les Contamines with UPCA, but they're lower down. Therefore, I'm wondering what's the risk of booking at one of these two resorts and then finding very limited snow if it's the season starts off slowly.

Does anyone who has experience of Flaine or Les Contamines at Christmas have views about booking there now? Alternately, how close to Christmas should one leave it to be relatively confident that any snow on the ground now won't melt before Christmas?

Any other information about either of these resorts at Christmas would be welcome also.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was in Flaine for Christmas 2016. Hadn't snowed for about 5 weeks, and only the 'Flaine bowl" was open in the entire Grand massif. In fact to be more precise, only about 50% of the bowl was open. That probably equates to only about 15 to 20% of the Grand massif being open.

Skiers were being shipped in by bus from all over as Flaine was actually in better condition than surrounding areas. That's how bad everywhere else was. Day time temperature's in resort were at least 10oC and it didn't get cold enough at night time to fire up the snow cannons.

Obviously Christmas 2016 has no bearing on how this Christmas will be, but the experience has put me off pre booking anything so early in the season again - unless it's one of the very high resorts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sure someone who is a Les Contamines regular will be on soon, however I have been 3 times, the last being around 8 years ago. Les Contamines is a 'proper' village, with some nice restaurants. Flaine simply is not, - purpose built concrete ski resort. The atmosphere would be much better in Les Conts, and its well known proximity to Mont Blanc gives it a really excellent snow record. Apparently its snowing there today. Last year for xmas the snow was decent according to the historical data on the SCGB website. Hope this helps a little.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's true. Flaine is a hideous looking place, with absolutely no village vibe/atmosphere.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@twoodwar, in the unlikely event it snowed in Les Cs yesterday, that’s a rather meaningless datapoint.

Proximity to MB doesn’t mean better snow...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

less of the social side that my wife enjoys

If that means bangin' bars, Les Contamines is somewhat lacking. For ski convenience, you'd be far nearer the snow in the Flaine bowl. Depends what you want. LC has good snow cover, but not down in the village!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all comments and suggestions.

Re "bangin' bars": Not for many years - a civilised conversation over a glass of wine/GnT is more the case these days.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, its snow record is much better than Liverpool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@twoodwar, that is true.

Afaik, PdS and GdMass (Flaine) have microclimates that tend to bring better snow, at least above 1,500m - as the prevailing weather patterns arrive from the West, and drop snow on the Chablais preferentially.

Above 1,500m it seems to be reversed, as you’d imagine.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If all you need is a quiet conversation over a glass of wine you'll have no problem anywhere in France.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@wsirhc, do you only ski on piste? If so, I would sweat it too much. There will be stuff open in Tignes, Flaine or Les Contamines. You lose a bit of that mountain ambience and the scope for little off piste jumps or runs through the trees with the kids, if the snow is carp.

We've done a lot of Christmas trips - TR's linked in the OP here. 2014/15/16 were all to some degree or another pretty poor. 2017 was a classic, 2018 average. Prior to 2014 was pretty good including 2012 in Les Contamines.

When we went to Les Contamines we stayed Hameux de Lay which is a little offshoot of the main town of Les Contamines - walking distance to the lift but less going on restaurant, bar and shop wise.

Tignes if fine but you are fecked if the weather closes in.

At Christmas my preference is for somewhere like Les Coches or La Tania - nice small station, skiing below the tree line, easy access to the higher level skiing. I'm booked for Les Coches this Christmas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@wsirhc, Having been to LC (and once owned there) quite a bit, I would agree with what others have said RE the town, nightlife etc. There are a couple of bars in the actual village, one in particular (Ty Briez), that will offer you a decent vibe and relaxed place to drink/eat... Up at the lift area (Hameux du Lay) it's a bit more purpose built with a small spattering of amenities and bars. You can walk between Lay and the village but it's about 15 easy mins.

I've been to LC a couple of times recently during the Xmas period and the snow coverage has not been great, but the quality of the snow was very good... Probably enough to fill a couple of hours max each day. However, it was the only place of note that had any snow in the region... Christmas is always going to provide limited openings so whilst awesome to be in the alps at that time of year, it comes with the possibility of limited snow...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@wsirhc, Been in Flaine at Christmas for the last 8 years - sometimes the snow has been very good, others very bad, mainly OK with most runs open. Not been to LC in winter (only summer) so can't really comment but I would think it's easier to get to the snow in Flaine. Both resorts not exactly "bangin" but that suits us.
My way of forecasting (guessing) if the snow is going to be good is to look at the Flaine 1600 webcam at the beginning of December. If there's snow on the chimneys then it's probably going to be OK at Christmas
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wsirhc,

This one is tricky.
If it is cold but pretty dry then Les Contamines may be optimal - it has a good snow record (weather from the west hits it first) but probably more importantly the skiing is on grass rather than rock and gravel which is typical at altitude. Les C only needs 30cm for everything to be open.

However if its been mild and damp then Les C could be green and Tignes etc could be lovely and white!

Personally I'd leave the booking late.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Been in the GM for Christmas for many years. If it is not great in Flaine then I'd hazard a guess most places will be suffering as well. Depends what you like to look at when you ski and the make-up of your party. Flaine is what it is but the architecture has grown on me, and I do like the way they are unabashed about it and who can't admire a resort that has a massive Picasso sculpture? Car free as well in the centre, so if you are with teems, then can just click in and go. The skiing is fab, so much to do and the links to the rest of the GM are efficient. I'd sit in front of a PC and just look at Les Cont and Flaine and determine what you prefer the look of.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I guess that I'll just have to hold back from booking for a bit longer.
I'm more used to booking months in advance - having on until the last minute is a new experience for me.
snow conditions
I went skiing for many many years in France, the week before Christmas. We were almost always very lucky with the conditions, the only really bad year was once in Courchevel 1850. Nothing was open lower down, you had to get the bubble down into Meribel and we ended up going over to VT most of the time - via the one route which was snow-cannoned enough to be open.

Other years it had been great though. The other pre-Xmas resorts I went to, all with good conditions were Val d'Isere, La Plagne, Meribel Mottaret, Alpe d'Huez, Les Deux Alpes and La Thuile.

For early season, a higher resort is a safer bet - or resorts with access to high skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy