Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
@albob, Although I've not done it I think that's the Val de Mesdi run. If you look across the valley on the right hand side of the photo you can just make out the prepared piste and lift installations of the Edelweiss valley above Colfosco. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Alastair Pink, Ahh -- yes.

As reported elsewhere, a decision has been taken to close the Dolomiti ski area due to the Virus. A great shame as the Dolomitisuperski website
is showing 450 out of 450 lifts working.. Sad

DOLOMITES SKI RESORTS TO CLOSE

Dolomiti Superski, in agreement with the major entities and in coordination with the political authorities, has decided to end the current ski season.

Here are the details from the ski area:

“This in consideration of the rapid spread of the coronavirus in the Italian territory and the potential risks of tourists, staff and local population in all the ski areas served by its lifts and in order to preserve first of all the health and tranquility of all.”

Resorts affected are Plan de Corones, Alta Badia, Val Gardena / Alpe di Siusi, Val di Fassa /Carezza, Arabba / Marmolada, 3 Cime Dolomiti, Val di Fiemme / Obereggen, San Martino di Castrozza Passo Rolle, Rio Pusteria - Bressanone, Alpe Lusia / San Pellegrino, Civetta.
The closure will take place by tomorrow, Tuesday, March 10, 2020, in order to allow an orderly return of the tourists currently hosted.

“We are extremely sorry to have to take this absolutely exceptional decision, but we believe that this step is of fundamental importance to stem as far as possible even in our territories with a very high tourist density, the rapid spread of the Corona virus,” said the ski area in a statement.

“We would like to thank all the skiers we have hosted in our ski areas during this season and we hope to welcome them back soon in the Dolomites."
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Friends daughter work for Crystal out there. They are probably being flown home this week and having to self quarantine
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That’s Canale Della Nona, off the Lagazuoi piste.

Lifts are closing due to lack of demand and seasonal workers leaving for home. I’m now trying to rearrange my flight for tomorrow. It was a good run!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Alchemist, superb shots - would you do a mini trip report at some stage with route and logistics, I'd love to do something like this sometime, albeit probably guided
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
8611 wrote:
@Alchemist, superb shots - would you do a mini trip report at some stage with route and logistics, I'd love to do something like this sometime, albeit probably guided

Sure thing. I’ll probably be quarantined for two weeks and need fun stuff to do!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is there a trick with uploading videos? I tried one last night with no luck. Do the have to be small files?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alchemist, Not sure to be honest. The forum software is a bit 'antiquated' (it doesn't like MP4 files) and may not be able to cope.

Is youtube an option ?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sure, but I’ll have to first eliminate the awesome sound track! I’ll put some non copyright stuff...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lifts in Madonna closed from Wednesday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok, try this link to see highlights from Val Mesdi:

http://youtube.com/v/H1cTEixdrM8

Sorry for the awful music!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alchemist, No music good ruin that. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here’s another:

http://youtube.com/v/XM7ldq3swpE
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for sharing -- looks like you hit the 'Conditions' jackpot Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Made it back to the states just in time! Here’s a couple more videos.

http://youtube.com/v/P7_ay-0QxhI
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/XaAVFkz1NQ0
latest report
Here’s my run down Armentarola the day before everything shut down.

http://youtube.com/v/IZ7OE4r1gb8
snow report
Brilliant Smile Smile snowHead
snow report
@Alchemist, stunning!
latest report
The Selva weather page has gone into is Summer garb - whilst Snow is being dumped by the weather Gods Sad
snow report
Looks like a reasonable dump on the 30th and then turning drier and slightly warmer. Would have been a good run up to the end of the season.
snow conditions
And we should have been enjoying our time in Seiser Alm at the moment. Hey ho. Next year, we hope, but at the moment just hope for everyone’s health.
ski holidays
Thank you Alchemist I almost feel like I've had a skin holiday this year.
snow report
Excellent vids
snow report
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. I just finished my 14-day self-quarantine and reunited with my wife and kids yesterday. I remained healthy throughout. I’m back in my home in Vermont.

Here’s a less exciting but beautiful video of some more of the skiing I did in the Dolomites earlier this month. I apologize for the music, I have to use non-copyrighted tunes...

http://youtube.com/v/IvJ-3mgYw5I
snow report
Nice snowHead
snow report
Awesome

How good is that Seceda line
snow report
Great vids!

Just out of interest how did you research the off piste routes you did ?

It’s not clear in the less gnarly ones if you had a guide or were just skiing solo ??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was solo. An indispensable book is Freeriding in the Dolomites by Francesco Tremolada and another book called Ski Touring and Snowshoeing in the Dolomites by James Rushfourth.

Francesco‘s book is wonderful! It has very good descriptions of the routes and is filled with beautiful photography. I chose a few routes that sounded good and then used Google Earth to better visualize the terrain. It helped a lot.

Fortunately, Val Mesdi and Canale Joel had local skiers going down at the same time I was there, and we looked out for each other. Avalanche risk was low, luckily.
snow conditions
"..Freeriding in the Dolomites by Francesco Tremolada .."

Some years ago, a trip report by Snowhead 'Norris' guided by Francesco

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2217976&highlight=tremolada#2217976

I may have posted the link before - but, Hey-Ho..
ski holidays
Alchemist wrote:
I was solo. An indispensable book is Freeriding in the Dolomites by Francesco Tremolada and another book called Ski Touring and Snowshoeing in the Dolomites by James Rushfourth.

Francesco‘s book is wonderful! It has very good descriptions of the routes and is filled with beautiful photography. I chose a few routes that sounded good and then used Google Earth to better visualize the terrain. It helped a lot.

Fortunately, Val Mesdi and Canale Joel had local skiers going down at the same time I was there, and we looked out for each other. Avalanche risk was low, luckily.

Many thanks , I will look into getting a copy when the CV19 restrictions lift...
ski holidays
https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c14573/

A reasonable cover of new snow for what would have been the last two weeks of the season. Looks as though they would have maintained most runs open and great cover at altitude.
latest report
And still snowing as I type !
snow conditions
https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/arabba.html

All that lovely snow going to waste. Sad snowHead
snow report
For those with Facebook the Val di fassa homepage is awesome. A new photo and thoughts every day.
snow report
@NeddySkiGoon,
I was looking at that webcam and was surprised when the church bell chimed, I thought I was looking at a static shot!
ski holidays
https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c14196/
snow report
Once again, the weather does it's best to extract the Michael whilst we're all in lock down......
snow report
Tomorrow would have been the last day of the season in the Alta Badia and what a season it would have been. Opening a week early after continual snow throughout November and with almost all 1200kms of runs open every day from before Christmas through to Easter. Sadly CV meant losing the last month of the season.
The weather for skiing has been exceptional this year even by Dolomite standards with weeks and weeks of perfect sunny days. The deep snow that fell in November and its subsequent management has meant that it easily lasted all season and will no doubt last till the end of April at Kronplatz (see webcam on page1).

The Superdolomiti lift companies will have probably done Ok financially with the quarantine restrictions coming in after the lucrative Christmas, half term and carnival periods. Bad news though for their employees and local businesses.

Hope that things improve sufficiently so they can recover as much as possible perhaps this summer. Sad

https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c7768/
latest report
And look at the amount of snow still there on this webcam - all unavailable.. Sad

https://bioch.panomax.com/ (at current date/time.....)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy