Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
Bergfex predicting 44cm over the next two days in Alta Badia! A further 13cm on Friday!
A group of us are flying out there at the end of the month for a few days skiing - via Venice. Switch flights to Munich at a cost of £100 pp? Think we will wait and see how the virus spread takes hold.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Absolute tipping down since mid day here in Alta Badia. About 25 cm at village level.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Day one of 10 today. Staying at Rifugio Fermeda for a couple nights for my first stop. I’ll be in Castelrotto in an hour!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A treat lies in store. About 30 cm of new snow here in Corvara since yesterday. Diggers are out clearing the roads and paths. Looking magical.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still snowing. We now have about 75 cm of new snow in village. Forecast tomorrow looking good
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
F-me! I need to get out there and have 2 weeks of snow-isolation. Return > risk !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Awesome day! Spending the next three nights at Fermeda Hutte. Was still skiing freshies at 5pm!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Alchemist, Are you on a 'Ski Safari' ? -- how is it going ??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, a solo, self-planned ski safari. So far it’s been awesome. Planning on checking out the free ride routes off the Pordoi cable car tomorrow.

No lines anywhere today. Heard last week was crazy due to the holiday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
"Planning on checking out the free ride routes off the Pordoi cable car tomorrow"

I 'think' most people would recommend only doing that with a guide (Val di Mezdi is the name of the route)

https://www.suedtirol.info/en/experience/Fresh-snow-descent-from-Val-Mezdi-valley-in-the-Sella-group_activity_11746

Another route is the Forcella Pordoi

Bit of an 'Offpiste' report here -- https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2217976&highlight=mezdi#2217976

Includes mention of the Forcella and Mezdi
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@albob, thanks, I’ve studied all the routes in the area. Back in the States I ski almost exclusively in the BC. I plan on joining other skiers up there and I have all my avy rescue gear with me (of no help if I’m alone!). Safety first. A week ago I assumed all routes would be off limits due to an absence of coverage. What a turnaround!

I’ll let you know how it goes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alchemist, Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A superb day in full sun. Coffee stop at the Para on the terrace. Santa Croce area was busy at lunchtime but the very welcoming Rifugio Lee found us a space on their glorious terrace. Finished with sundowners on the terrace at Capanna Nera. What a day ! We made the most of it.
Some of the bubbles were restricting numbers in the cabins but not all of them which did not make a lot of sense.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@albob, what a day! The powder runs off the Seceda ridge line were so good I did 4-5 before I headed to Passo Pordoi.

I skied Canale Joel and Val Mesdi. Both had very good coverage. The lower parts of Joel started to experience a sun crust around 1pm since it’s quite exposed. Val Mesdi, being in the shade, was excellent.

Timing is everything folks!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Alchemist

Fresh snow is a lottery in the Dolomites -- Seems your timing has been perfect... Smile
ski holidays
https://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2020/03/04/coronavirus-in-6-comuni-dellalto-adige-restrizioni-per-i-comprensori-sciistici-sulle-funivie-un-terzo-della-capienza-prevista/5725036/

Believe there are capacity restrictions. Apres is shut too?
latest report
In Germany South-Tirol has been put as a risk zone, because many of the new corona virus cases were on skiing holiday in the dolomites. Strange that in South-Tirol nobody is mentioning this?

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete.html

This was an article from before:
https://www.suedkurier.de/baden-wuerttemberg/Viele-baden-wuerttembergische-Suedtirol-Rueckkehrer-erkranken-an-Corona-warum-gilt-die-Gegend-nicht-als-Risikogebiet;art417930,10461857
latest report
Yesterday I skied the Forcella di Mesdi tour, climbing to the saddle between Sass di Mesdi and Sass Rigais, and descending the North side, eventually traversing to Rifugio Brogles, and continuing down path 5 to the Secada cable car.

The snow on the north side was about as good as it gets! Waist deep, consistent quality, and tracked by just a couple other skiers who ascended from the north (their tracks helped me find the route because visiblity was very poor in the higher elevations.

It was lightly snowing all day yesterday and this morning is beautiful with great views. I leave Seceda today for Rifugio Scoiattoli at Cinque Torri.
ski holidays
Is it possible to insert images from an iPhone? It’s all I have with me.
ski holidays
@Alchemist, yes, it’s easier than doing it on a PC. Hit ‘snowbase’ at the top of the page. Then ‘snowMedia zone’. Sign up there if you haven’t done so before. Upload the image. Press the screen over the image until you produce a web address in the bar at the top. Copy the web address. Come back here. Go to the bottom. Hit ‘post reply’ then the ‘img’ button. Paste the web address between the 2 sets of square brackets. Done. Other ways of hosting the image are available but that’s the easiest.
ski holidays
[img] https://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/43071/title/canale-joel-dolomites-2020/cat/500[/img]
ski holidays
Did that work? Made it to Cinque Torri - WiFi not as good here.
ski holidays
snow report
@Alchemist, nearly. Copy the link in the grey box next to where it says 'Linked Medium:' in this case its this
Code:
[url=https://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/43071/title/canale-joel-dolomites-2020/cat/500][img]http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/medium/F37EE323-CE7F-4F8C-9304-4DB4AC76980A.jpeg[/img][/url]
snow conditions
@Alchemist, some trip you're managing in the circumstances!
latest report
@Alchemist, More Photos please.. Smile
snow conditions
Is there any discernible impact in the number of people on the slopes arising from that which shall not be named? I was hearing of half full flights and obviously tons have been cancelled, and quiet cities. Precious little on this forum about numbers being down though?
ski holidays
Looks a bit quieter on the webcams but this is a quiet part of the season and there are only 5 weeks remaining. No doubt someone out there can comment Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We’ve just finished our week of ski staying in Corvara. The slopes are quieter but lots more children taking advantage of their schools being closed. Our hotel owner told us the whole area is down 30 to 40 % bookings compared to last year and the cancellations keep coming. He was glad the season had got off to a great early start with the big November snows. However some hotels may close by March 15 There is a lot of concern especially as it’s now been designated a high risk area.
ski holidays
Are dolomites in lockdown then? I read somewhere there was an order for Ski resorts to close, anyone on the ground?
ski holidays
Everything open in Madonna.
Signs around asking for 1m separation in lift queues.
No-one's crowding onto gondalas or chairlifts but it doesn't seem particularly busy so we've not seen any queues. We'll see what tomorrow's like, I think it could be a lot quieter if the folks from Milan have legged it home today.
The lockdown doesn't include Trentino (at least not yet), although I think Passo Tonale might be over the border into Lombardi?
latest report
This weekend was busy around San Cassiano and the Lagazuoi cable car had long lines. They reduced the number of occupants to 17, which seemed like 50% of capacity, by order of some regional politician.
snow conditions
snow report
latest report
snow report
ski holidays
latest report
I spent last night at Rifugio Averau and today am skinning in to Rifugio Fanes via Capanna Alpina. Hopefully can find some quality north facing slopes during my two-night stay.
snow report
ski holidays
Alchemist wrote:

Alchemist -- which part of the Dolomites is this ??
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy