Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
Are off pisters a big proportion of their market though? I could see how the lack of any natural snow fall would turn people off alright
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sergeantslow wrote:

...and another one https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3212235&highlight=#3212235 which was Colletts (I was on that trip and doing another one with them in a couple of weeks)

You could definitely do it yourself significantly cheaper but you would lose out on the guide/instructor, almost certainly lose your way occasionally, probably lose skiing time when moving from sector to sector, miss some hidden gems, and risk no comeback if you failed to make the next night's stop because of weather or route finding disaster (though it does look horribly warm next week if you had to sleep rough haha). But it would probably feel a bit more adventurous and the money you saved could bail you out of any trouble by using taxis/bribes! snowHead

Thanks - 20kg bag! Would have been good for authentic world war 1 tour!

Could definitely do it cheaper but 100 per cent not worth the faff / stress trying to book stuff on your phone, trying to figure out lift map and connections etc, skiing in italy not known for it's convenience, plus if it meant you got the pick of the best refuges and lunch stops would be great. And you'd get to meet and ski with others. Which would probably be fun in itself.

Definitely on the list.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that. I would imagine that many skiers on a 6 day holiday Would be happy with the sunshine and the reliably open lifts Enabling them to plan their days but I can see that the lack of fresh snow will discourage the day market.
Hopefully a bit of fresh on Wednesday snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slushy and warm but great day nonetheless. Some fresh snow and colder temps from Wednesday
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Peter S, Are you still out? Thought that I saw you today (or do you have a doppleskier?)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Definitely getting badly chopped up on some of the more popular runs by noon (my legs gave up by 2, but the moguls practice is going well wink )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Grizzler, no back home. Hoping that we can get some skiing in at Yad Moss soon Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can second that Grizzler, moguls practice is in full swing. Above Selva, below Pralongia II, I dread to think what that red after Porto Vesuvio cabin looked like late afternoon Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks to be going a lot colder from Wednesday which will sort out the moguls and stop the snow ‘clumping’.

Snowing at home Grizzler snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I meant Porta Vescovo of course
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just returned from Marmolada. The snow until half way down was fantastic snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Local Dolomites meteo forecast not expecting hardly anything for Wednesday:

1-2cm; locally up to 4/5 cm

Latest GFS run also now showing less chance of anything decent for Sunday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes coming in from the west yet again and the Dolomites are just too sheltered from that direction.

On the plus side though most of the lifts and runs will likely remain open while other resorts in the west will probably have lifts and pistes closed because of avalanche risk and poor visibility Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This morning (Monday) Alba cable car wait was 40+ minutes Shocked
Every chairlift on Belvedere was a long queue & wait too. Gondola up at Plan F (to Col Rodella) was another 20. Didn't bother going further, found some quiet (ish) pistes and enjoyed the sun Very Happy .
Someone said that it's Carnivale week, hence why (busier today than yesterday) - hope not sharing cable cars, busses & gondolas with too many Lombardy, Veneto, etc, happy holiday makers: one could get worried if one was so inclined... Puzzled

@Peter S snowing at home, typical!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grizzler wrote:
This morning (Monday) Alba cable car wait was 40+ minutes Shocked
Every chairlift on Belvedere was a long queue & wait too. Gondola up at Plan F (to Col Rodella) was another 20. Didn't bother going further, found some quiet (ish) pistes and enjoyed the sun Very Happy .
Someone said that it's Carnivale week, hence why (busier today than yesterday) - hope not sharing cable cars, busses & gondolas with too many Lombardy, Veneto, etc, happy holiday makers: one could get worried if one was so inclined... Puzzled

@Peter S snowing at home, typical!

Queue at Col Rodella was terrible, at least 1hr if not longer at 10am We decided to drive up and park at Passo Sella Mountain Resort. Almost no queues over at Selva.

Dantecepies is shaded and still in good condition, Saslong was nice but sun covered slopes on the other side are heavy and slow.
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
Are off pisters a big proportion of their market though? I could see how the lack of any natural snow fall would turn people off alright

I was standing in a the lift queue above canazei when I overheard bigusdickus say "We'll have to watch where the guides go". 2 months after the last snowfall in the sunniest place in the Alps I think you'll be following the guides to the nearest bar where they'll be topping up there tan Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@dklemm, yeowch!!!!! So that's tomorrow's plan maybe changing. Presume that the uplift from Canazei will be the same? Interestingly, we abandoned Belvedere area and spent most of the day from noon at Col Rodella area which, in terms of people was pretty quiet. Ciampac gondola at 10am was no queue either, yesterday or today - not on SR, I guess.
We don't have a car, so reliant on (surprisingly limited) ski bus. Any suggestions (was thinking of an easy boarding day)?
latest report
Latest 12Z GFS run has all but killed off any chance of a decent top up of snow in the next 10 days. Maybe a few light dustings Wednesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday but thats it.
latest report
@Grizzler I've been here for the last 7 days, longest and be waited was 40min from the end of the pavement. Today it went back over the bridge nearly back to the main road in campitilo, I do wonder if there was some issues earlier. Speaking to hotel reception they reckon canazei lift is quicker to get though any queue because it's continuous, it looked busy too this morning but not as crazy as col rodella. We've had a good week but its a pain with the good pistes/lifts being on the main SR drag.
latest report
@jimmybog, Don't despair - the type of weather systems that feed the Dollies their snow are complex and very unpredictable.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
@jimmybog, Don't despair - the type of weather systems that feed the Dollies their snow are complex and very unpredictable.

Not despairing, just updating the latest forecast information re snow. I can only report on the latest info/charts but at the moment the two main models of GFS and ECMWF look like they agree near enough for the next ten days. I dont ever recall these models backtracking to a more favourable situation regarding snow for the dolomites. Maybe it might happen but looks unlikely.
snow report
jimmybog wrote:
red 27 wrote:

Not despairing, just updating the latest forecast information re snow. I can only report on the latest info/charts but at the moment the two main models of GFS and ECMWF look like they agree near enough for the next ten days. I dont ever recall these models backtracking to a more favourable situation regarding snow for the dolomites. Maybe it might happen but looks unlikely.

No great changes from the overnight runs up until Monday. ECMWF has a low over the Gulf of Genoa next Monday/Tuesday but unfortunately it quickly moves away Eastwards. GFS also has a low forming West of Corsica and into the gulf of Genoa, but again this moves away quickly Eastwards. The exact position of the low, how deep it is and how quickly it moves away, will determine what effects it will have on the Dolomites.
ski holidays
Very, very poor visibility today in Canazei & Val di Fassa area. Initial cloud level below sunny tops, but most of the day it was very variable to nil at 2000-2450m. Lot of pistes are mix of soft piles and icy mini death cookies, or variable soft on top of ice. Not much fun, really Sad
Still warmish, 0C at 3.30pm.
Forecast of small snow levels tomorrow, but guess that means poor vis too.
Surprising increase in the number of beginners to intermediates out, plus loads of small kids. Aaaaagh!!!!
ski holidays
@Grizzler, just to add to the gloom, the South Tirol reported its first case of Coronavirus today- at a small town close to Bozen ☹️ Can’t help wondering if a few people will pull out of ski holidays in the region in the next few weeks
ski holidays
Webcams looking better for you today. We head out tomorrow for just over a week. Excitement high even with the corona virus looming over us. Thanks for reports
ski holidays
We are due to come in a bit over 2 weeks but are concerned about the virus. What is the situation in the resorts are restaurants and things open?
?
ski holidays
Yet again the Dolomites are sheltered from the north westerly wind and still has relatively good visibility. Compared to the western alps where lots of lifts are closed today, including virtually everything in Val D'isere.
ski holidays
@pred02, so far, in the Val di Fassa / Canazei region, and on the Sella Ronda circuit, you wouldn't know that there was any issue at all (bar some worried Brits who want to make sure that they will get home again on schedule wink )
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, the promised snow didn't really arrive in VdF Sad
Some interesting black clouds around various ranges in the day (more the Sella group end, I think), few graupel showers to road level later on, tads of snow overnight at road level - but no noticeable difference on the mountain at around 2000m (we stayed lower today, at Pera, as the vis was questionable first thing and there was a high wind warning, but ended up with several warm blue sky hours). It is colder, but didn't really feel it where we were, reading 2-6 degrees during the day.
Honestly, coming back on the bus it looks like late March (and feels it).
Runs at the Pera area have no soft stuff or mogulling to speak of, just scraped hardpack. Nice if you like that kind of thing: many beginners did not! Loads and loads of 'ducklings' (teeny kiddies following instructor) there too. Slalom chaos!!! Twisted Evil Oh, and unless you really love steep, thin, fast, old, refrozen artificial stuff, do not, repeat not, attempt the descent "blue" (hah! Skullie ) from Ciampede to Pera/Pozza bus stop road.

Edit - just got back from restaurant. Beautiful sunset, red clouds & golden light on mountain tops. Blinking cold out, though. Much colder than previous nights since/inc Saturday. Going to be very icy on the slopes first thing.
ski holidays
Forecasts seem to be aligning over some quite reasonable levels of snowfall next Tuesday and Wednesday. Early days yet though
snow report
Now looks like Sunday Monday and Tuesday will bring much needed snow
latest report
It's getting more cloudy, colder, windy and stormy, certainly. -3C at 8pm tonight in VdF valley. Very windy on the Arabba link today, general high winds forecast for tomorrow.
Actually, pistes are in pretty nice nick if you like hardpack. Running fast. Not much soft on top left at all. Traverses are not always smooth though, nor free of ice. Hope that you do get the much needed white stuff.
snow report
@Grizzler, just wonder how if at all the new stuff will bind with the hard pack. We are next out late March, snow and Coronavirus permitting.
Thanks for the updates re conditions.
snow conditions
Has anyone heard or read anything about where the Alto Adige coronavirus case was identified? I was wondering whether it was in/near any of the Dolomites ski areas we discuss here.

These are difficult times for Italy, and my thoughts are with all those affected whether directly or indirectly.
snow report
Ian -- the quote is from the linked site (through google translate)

"..South Tyrol is not classified as a risk area. Local health authorities constantly monitor the situation. Only one case has been confirmed. The interested party was previously in Lombardy, a region that has been classified as an area at risk. The affected person has been isolated locally and is currently under medical observation. He is well and currently has no symptoms, the viral load is classified by doctors as low. …"

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=https://www.suedtirol.info/it/informazioni/coronavirus&prev=search
snow conditions
GEFS showing some decent precipitation spikes over the next 5 days.
latest report
IanTr wrote:
Has anyone heard or read anything about where the Alto Adige coronavirus case was identified? I was wondering whether it was in/near any of the Dolomites ski areas we discuss here.

These are difficult times for Italy, and my thoughts are with all those affected whether directly or indirectly.

The person identified is from a village or small town north west of bolzano. I don't believe he was in contact with anyone else apart from family, none of whom at this time have any symptons. In any case i believe they have been home quarantined last i heard
latest report
Looks a proper minger out there today...

Good luck to those on the slopes
latest report
You’ve got it right. A day for enjoying the delights of the village. Sachertorte and coffee followed by lunch at the top of Col Alto on foot. What’s not to like ! Snow has been constant.
ski holidays
Snowing in Bolzano at the moment. Looks good for the mountains!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy