Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
KatiePopple wrote:
I do this route often (including last week) and it's definitely blue all the way from Braia Fraida half way point and imo nicer than 8. I've skied both sections with many beginners and everyone likes the Arlara route best. The short steeper section I think you are referring too is wide and even at the end of the day not as cut up or anywhere near as busy as 8. There are 2 blue variations from there. Staying left is probably the gentler route down. I agree most of 8 is very gentle but that steep section is horrid if you are a nervous skier and always littered with fallers. I guess it depends on what bothers you most - for me it is always that combination of an overly busy, cut up and steepish slope.

How strange!! On the current piste map, the initial part of the slope down from Arlara is definately coloured as RED 5. Maybe its been regraded for this season. The section from Braia Frada mid point to Arlara is blue I agree but then changes to Red on the map.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve looked at the map too and still can’t see the route you are suggesting @katiepopple without taking the red 5. I skied Colfosco today so didn’t have a chance to try but will follow your directions and give it a shot tomorrow. I will report back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heading back to Dollies again in a couple of weeks, with a Dollies newbie. Would like to take him round the WW1 tour, and was wondering if they have managed to reopen the Sottoguda gorge this year, after the storm damage? This is always a scenic high point, so keen to show him if possible. Anyone know? Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jimmybog wrote:
albob wrote:
If I am remember correctly, 21A ends at the Planac lift ; it is then 200/300 metres (slightly) uphill to get back on to the bottom of 8 for Corvara ; But then, I can't think of another alternative from Pralongia

You are right, it does end at the Pralongia lift at Planac. Yes it maybe 200/300 metres and uphill to get back onto piste 8 but it definitely is not slightly uphill. I've skied down to it from 8 from near the top of the first drag and there is quite a steep section down before it flattens out before the Pralongia lift. I definately wouldn't be climbing up that section in ski boots carrying skis.

We're going to have to do exactly that walk on our first morning for reasons I won't get into (short version - don't book Hotel Planac through Sunweb inclusive of your lift pass...) so I'll report back. From what I can tell from the internet though it doesn't look like a walk I'd want to do regularly, but should be doable once - or at least that's what I'm hoping!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rg1 wrote:
Heading back to Dollies again in a couple of weeks, with a Dollies newbie. Would like to take him round the WW1 tour, and was wondering if they have managed to reopen the Sottoguda gorge this year, after the storm damage? This is always a scenic high point, so keen to show him if possible. Anyone know? Thanks

someone posted earlier in this thread that it is still under repair

===
Regarding piste 5 -- on the 3d map, it is coloured Blue, with a short Red section, marked 5a (starting at the top of Pralongia 1 drag)

EDIT -- just looked at the PDF version and the above is reversed !!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always use the 3D Super Dolomiti app for finding my way round - much less confusing than the printed map. The route down from Braia Fraida is marked as blue all the way on that map (you don't need the 5a red bit from Pralongia 1). 5 Aralara is also listed on the Alta Badia website in the live info section as blue. Regardless, on the ground the markers are blue and either way, it is a nice run home and worth a try...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I wasn’t able to try @katiepopples route home today because I managed to tear my right calf poling up a small hill on my way to the Pralongia chair lift. It felt like someone has shot me in the leg - very weird sensation. But going up the first chair lift I could see the route clearly coming down that side of the mountain - so I think it would have been a nice alternative route. Thanks for all of the advice.

I’ve got two days of kicking around a hotel room now. I guess I’ll catch up on my movies. The perils of skiing. This is my second calf injury in three years. Maybe the skiing gods are trying to tell me something.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mia5859, bad luck. Hope you recover soon and then show your defiance of the aforementioned ski devils, don't let them get you down!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mia -- just like to echo Steve's sentiments : get fit and come back next year to find that 'route'....!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks both! I’m scheduled to ski in Verbier in 6.5 weeks so it’s a race to get fit again but feeling okay this morning. I won’t let the ski gods defeat me!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@mia5859, poor you. That’s rotten luck. Hope it gets better soon and meanwhile enjoy those movies!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mia5859, sorry to hear about your calf. I'm sure you'll be better for Verbier.

I agree with @KatiePopple about using piste 5. That short steep section of Piste 8 is always badly cut up and horrible for beginners. Piste 5 does have some steepish bits but is much nicer (it also has the timed gates on the right hand side for a bit of fun). All you have to do is stay left at the bottom of piste 5 and then do a short swoop under the road at the bottom to get back onto piste 8 and back into Corvara.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
olderscot wrote:
@mia5859,

I agree with @KatiePopple about using piste 5. That short steep section of Piste 8 is always badly cut up and horrible for beginners. Piste 5 does have some steepish bits but is much nicer (it also has the timed gates on the right hand side for a bit of fun). All you have to do is stay left at the bottom of piste 5 and then do a short swoop under the road at the bottom to get back onto piste 8 and back into Corvara.

Where is the short swoop under the road? I thought after you go over the small bridge next to Hotel Arlara, you go down and then take a sharp left over another bridge (over the river/stream) and then turn right. After 50 or so metres you can take another sharp right and then under the road taking you to L'Murin apres bar and COl Alto Gondola. Or you continue and rejoin piste 8 down to the Borest and Boe lifts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Meteoceil is showing a continuation of the dry theme, though getting briefly cooler over the weekend before warming up a bit next week.

Bit breezy Saturday and Sunday but then pressure builds again.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/surface-pressure/

Should mean more great weather for skiing next week. At the moment the long term trend appears to be dry and slowly cooling off towards the middle of Jan.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jimmybog, I agree with your descriptions. Could be just mis-remembered by @olderscot as easily done confusing the swoop over bridge versus swoop under road depending on which direction and where heading.

Of course it used to be much more interesting when that bridge over stream used for the short swoop after hard left turn was two way and one was trying to carry enough speed for the little uphill incline.

A bit like my pet peeve of the line of static folk that seems to develop on the last bridge on run 8 before the bit leading to Boe and Borest gondola, just when you need to carry a bit of speed to take you up the final incline.
ski holidays
SteveM wrote:
@jimmybog, I agree with your descriptions. Could be just mis-remembered by @olderscot as easily done confusing the swoop over bridge versus swoop under road depending on which direction and where heading.

Of course it used to be much more interesting when that bridge over stream used for the short swoop after hard left turn was two way and one was trying to carry enough speed for the little uphill incline.

A bit like my pet peeve of the line of static folk that seems to develop on the last bridge on run 8 before the bit leading to Boe and Borest gondola, just when you need to carry a bit of speed to take you up the final incline.

Yes a few changes have happened in that area over the past few seasons. I remember when that run from Arlara hotel, when you veer left over the bridge, also continued down into Corvara. Hence thats why that bridge was 2 way. Then they closed the run into Corvara from there. And yes that last bridge going down to Boe is good fun. If there's no one on the bridge you can gaurantee there will be folk in the way poling up the last incline. Luckily I havent had to use that section often as I normally go via the Murin bar Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@SteveM, Wrote "Of course it used to be much more interesting when that bridge over stream used for the short swoop after hard left turn was two way and one was trying to carry enough speed for the little uphill incline.."

Glad that bit has gone -- was seriously dangerous, as both directions required a bit of speed and collisions were a definite possibility....
latest report
Quote:

Where is the short swoop under the road?

Sorry, you guys are right. You're not going under the road, just swooping down with enough speed to get you up the incline on the other side.
snow report
Pressure building again after the cold snap this weekend. That should mean more sun, light winds and great on piste skiing again next week.

Temperatures will be warmer than last week which will soften the snow but with less traffic and nightly pisting I’m sure the skiing will remain very good in most places. The sun doesn’t yet have much strength and the dry air is preserving the deep cover. Temperatures look set to return to normal in mid January.
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Pressure building again after the cold snap this weekend. That should mean more sun, light winds and great on piste skiing again next week.

Temperatures will be warmer than last week which will soften the snow but with less traffic and nightly pisting I’m sure the skiing will remain very good in most places. The sun doesn’t yet have much strength and the dry air is preserving the deep cover. Temperatures look set to return to normal in mid January.

Good job one of us keeps to the subject on this thread, good work Peter S! snowHead
latest report
@olderscot,
Hi there, if you get the chance this week would be great to hear an update from the slopes about piste conditions. Have fun snowHead
snow report
First ever morning in the dolomites Smile

Gloriously sunny, warm in the sun. Pistes so far have been pretty soft so I'm expecting busy runs to get cut up later, but personally much prefer a cut up soft piste to a smooth icy one!

On the walk up the side of the piste from Pralongia chairlift to rejoin piste 8, we managed it ok because we had to, but wouldn't do it again if I had the choice...
ski holidays
@Trwoodward, How did your 'Ski Hire' go ?
snow conditions
@albob It worked out well in the end.

We hired skis through Sport Porsch in Colfosco who have a shuttle bus. We just sent them an email when we arrived and they came and picked us up, sorted us with skis, and then dropped us back at the Hotel - all very efficient. They'll also collect them at the end of the week.

They're probably a bit more expensive than other options nearby, but we were impressed by the quality of the skis - this year's models, good condition (and actually slightly more 'expert' than we were expecting which worried us, but they were great today).

On piste conditions - my predictions this morning were dead wrong. Temps dropped and the wind came out to play, leaving some quite hard pistes in places. Still plenty of good skiing, we particularly liked blue 33 from the top of Pralongia lift to Masarai. All in all a great first day!
latest report
Trwoodward wrote:
First ever morning in the dolomites Smile

Gloriously sunny, warm in the sun. Pistes so far have been pretty soft so I'm expecting busy runs to get cut up later, but personally much prefer a cut up soft piste to a smooth icy one!

On the walk up the side of the piste from Pralongia chairlift to rejoin piste 8, we managed it ok because we had to, but wouldn't do it again if I had the choice...

What is the reason for you wanting to walk up the piste from Pralongia chairlift to rejoin piste 8 ???
latest report
luigi wrote:

Good job one of us keeps to the subject on this thread, good work Peter S! snowHead

I know this thread does occasionally veer off track regarding forecasts and snow conditions, but I don't see an issue with this. There's not much to discuss re the forecast currently as its looking very dry with average to mild temperatures. And it's not like theres hundreds of snow reports being posted either.

Other snow report threads in the forum also dont always stick to actual weather related posts. I think when someone has a non weather related question, they do tend to come to the snow conditions thread first for some reason.

Thus I'm not too bothered about non weather related questions in this thread and am willing to help answer any questions, if they're weather related or not
ski holidays
jimmybog wrote:

What is the reason for you wanting to walk up the piste from Pralongia chairlift to rejoin piste 8 ???

Our hotel is next to the Pralongia lift. Out tour operator included lift passes in the price. A few days before departure they told us these would need to be collected from the pass office as they don't have a rep in Corvara.

As there's no real bus service from the hotel to Corvara we were faced with either paying for a return taxi trip to pick them up or a 200m walk up the piste on our first morning to ski down and collect them.

Moral of the story - a hotel next to a lift is only convenient once you have your lift pass!
snow conditions
Trwoodward wrote:
jimmybog wrote:

Our hotel is next to the Pralongia lift. Out tour operator included lift passes in the price. A few days before departure they told us these would need to be collected from the pass office as they don't have a rep in Corvara.

As there's no real bus service from the hotel to Corvara we were faced with either paying for a return taxi trip to pick them up or a 200m walk up the piste on our first morning to ski down and collect them.

Moral of the story - a hotel next to a lift is only convenient once you have your lift pass!

OMG thats awful. The tour operator should have had your passes all sorted and given them to you on the bus. And the annoying thing is, you could have probably purchased the passes direct from the hotel!! Good job you knew about the option of walking up to piste 8 and skiing down to the office.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No sign of snow for a while....

snow report
albob wrote:
No sign of snow for a while....

Yep almost a rerun of winter 2018/2019 December and January when there was hardly any snow in those two months. Thank heaven for the November storms this year!!
latest report
Perfect Dolomite skiing conditions Cool

https://valgardena.panomax.com/seceda
latest report
Peter S wrote:

Stop it !! -- you are not making me feel any better for booking FRANCE this year instead of the Dollies..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
albob wrote:
Peter S wrote:

Stop it !! -- you are not making me feel any better for booking FRANCE this year instead of the Dollies..... Toofy Grin

What were you thinking of Shocked Have fun Laughing
ski holidays
The snow here is pretty much perfect on piste at the moment. The sun seems to be just enough to soften the top layer of the snow but no sign of any slush and no thaw / freeze cycle that would lead to ice.

Tomorrow’s looking very similar to today but then it might warm up a little over the next few days. That might make it better for slopes in the shade as some of them were really cold yesterday and today.

There’s lots of snow around and they had the snow blowers going in places last night so they seem to be doing a good job in making sure it will last.

All in all I couldn’t be happier.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 6-01-20 21:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@olderscot, thanks, music to our ears Smile
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@olderscot, thanks, music to our ears Smile

Amen to that Cool
snow report
olderscot wrote:

There’s lots of snow around and they had the snow blowers going in places last night so they seem to be doing a good job in making sure it will last.

All in all I couldn’t be happier.

I must admit I dont recall seeing the snow blowers on during daylight hours for absolutely ages now. They must be pretty pleased with the piste conditions to only have them running overnight and I suspect that is to only freshen things up. Also looking a bit quieter this week, now the new year crowds have gone
snow report
Yesterday was busy, and today a bit quieter. Queues were never a problem though. I did hear it suggested that a lot of the Italians will to go back to work tomorrow so it should be quieter for the rest of the week and then very peaceful the week after.
latest report
@olderscot, Lots of Russians go back too
snow report
The weather for skiing continues to look fantastic right into the weekend and beyond. Have fun snowHead

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/surface-pressure/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy