Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
@albob, looked like a whiteout today on all the webcams
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LukeRibs, Seiseralm is great - the skiing isn’t challenging but the scenery and huts are wonderful. Just 15 mins away by bus to the valley station.
From the top of the Seiseralm gondola it takes less than 30 mins to ski to the Saltria - Monte Pana bus. A lovely 20 min bus ride and then about 20 mins skiing to Plan de Gralba and the world’s your oyster!
The village is lovely, a German speaking farming community. The whole place is v atmospheric.
Dorfschenke is the nice village pub.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would agree about Seiser Alm, its quick to get to Saltria and then straight on to Sella Ronda proper
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like the hidden valley run could be closed for a while

https://www.wetteronline.de/wetterticker/norditalien-autos-von-lawine-getroffen-201912221328596

avalanches have closed the Valparolapass which is the road from Armentarola up to Passo Falzarego. Despite the cars getting caught in the avalanche no serious injuries.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kronplatz looks busy snowHead
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c15328/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pjd wrote:
@LukeRibs, Seiseralm is great - the skiing isn’t challenging but the scenery and huts are wonderful. Just 15 mins away by bus to the valley station.
From the top of the Seiseralm gondola it takes less than 30 mins to ski to the Saltria - Monte Pana bus. A lovely 20 min bus ride and then about 20 mins skiing to Plan de Gralba and the world’s your oyster!
The village is lovely, a German speaking farming community. The whole place is v atmospheric.
Dorfschenke is the nice village pub.

Yes...but: If you are going to access Val Gardena proper from the Siusi gondola, you will need to do a bit of pre-planning. The bus to Monte Pana is lovely, true, but it would take about 1.5 hours of your day, given that you would need to wait for it at Saltria, then wait again at Monte Pana to get one back to Saltria. IIRC they are not as frequent as you might want them to be. IMO a better option, if you have a car and the roads are clear, would be to drive around to either Monte Pana, Plan Gralba or Dantercepies. That way you'll save the bus faff, plus can take last runs in Val Gardena rather than having to bail at 230 to make sure you're back for the last lifts to the Siusi gondola.

To keep this weather related: looks like there was a nice top up today, although I gather that the snow itself was pretty heavy.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pasigal, yep, does need some planning. Buses are every 15 mins though during high season. What we sometimes do is travel via Saltria and then finish at the Luislkeller in Wolkenstein/Selva and then get a taxi back after a few beers! (About €50 - ok if there’s a group of you)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In addition to the above information, you can catch a bus from Castelrotto to Ortisei and then change on to the Val Gardena Express to Selva. You could also catch a ski bus (From Ortisei) to the Saslong gondola or the Monte Pana chairlift.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One more thing too! Alberts taxi service in Kastelruth often run a daily coach for randoms from and to Wolkenstein at 10 euros pp each way. Need to call them the night before.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Location report!! Arrived in Corvara yesterday and had a great day skiing today. There’s loads of snow in Alta Badia although it was a bit windy and the Sella Ronda was closed (not that that bothered me and my boys). Lifts were busier than usual but think that’s because of the parallel slalom finals today in La Villa. OH is stuck in resort with a slipped disk but made the most of the spa. Very Christmassy looking with lots of snow on the trees, the sun peaking through the clouds intermittently and a late afternoon very light flurry of snowflakes. Currently enjoying some vin brûlée in the mini Christmas market and buying myself some last minute pressies. Weather looks great over the next of days. Anyone coming over is in for a treat. Honestly believe this is the best ski resort in the world (maybe just the wine talking Very Happy ).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the first hand report. Poor OH tho' - hurt while skiing ??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No not hurt whilst skiing - did it a couple of months ago at home doing nothing much but the associated sciatica seems to have got worse rather than better over last few weeks. We’re only here until 26th so only missing 3 days skiing. Hopefully he’ll be ok when we come back in February for half term week.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1190kms runs and 431 lifts open today, almost a full house Cool

Many runs have now been open for three weeks. judging by the numbers of skiers around it must have been a successful pre Christmas period for the Super Dolomiti resorts, particularly given the savings they are going to make on snow making this year !

The Meteoceil weather model is showing good agreement for a mostly dry next 8 days. That should mean dry air and hopefully plenty more sun, perfect for skiing snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LukeRibs, You could drive up to the Valgardena area and ski from there. Arabba is about 90 minutes.

Or you could probably arrange to meet up with some groups during the week. There will most likely be some snowHead from the BB on the SR circuit every day, weather permitting.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brianatab wrote:
@LukeRibs, You could drive up to the Valgardena area and ski from there. Arabba is about 90 minutes.

If he leaves Castelrotto at 7.30, drives to Plan de Gralba by 8.15, gets his kit on and hits the first lift on the Piz Seteur gondola at 8.30, I reckon he'd still struggle to get to Arabba before 9.30.

Good luck trying though! snowHead
ski holidays
Piz seteur would be the long way round. Driving to Selva, and using Dantercepies, and via Colfosco would be a quicker route. 90 minutes from there is easily done!

Last year, collected our Cannuk friends from the top of Col Reiser, above San Cristina. Prised them from a bar just after 3pm, and got back in plenty of time for the last lift from Compolongo at 4.50!
snow conditions
There's not much difference, orange or green from Selva to Arabba. DanterC may just nudge it if you're dropped off at the lift station and there are no queues at Boe.
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
Piz seteur would be the long way round. Driving to Selva, and using Dantercepies, and via Colfosco would be a quicker route. 90 minutes from there is easily done!

Yep, maybe slightly quicker from Dantercepies compared to Plan de Gralba, less parking space next to the lift there though, so if he has to park a distance away, that will eat time. Although it is a bit further to drive up to the big car park at Plan de Gralba, admittedly.

The issue still remains, Dantercepies also opens for first lifts at 8.30am and he needs to be in Arabba 9.00-9.30am to meet the bashers, so it's going to be pretty tight whichever way!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 26-12-19 12:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Looking sunny and clear on the cams today!! Cool
snow conditions
The last part of the system opened today. The First World War ski tour between Arabba, Civetta and Cinque Torri is now open.

That’s all lifts and all pistes till April Cool

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Experience/Ski-areas/Val-Gardena/Webcam?page=1
latest report
The forecast for the next two weeks is looking like wall to wall sunshine. I know we have to take anything beyond a few days out with a healthy dose of scepticism but I can’t help looking forward to what could be a perfect week from the 4th January!
snow conditions
olderscot wrote:
The forecast for the next two weeks is looking like wall to wall sunshine. I know we have to take anything beyond a few days out with a healthy dose of scepticism but I can’t help looking forward to what could be a perfect week from the 4th January!

Don't forget to pack your shades!! Cool
snow report
Yes looks ideal. High pressure centred just east of the Dolomites. Conditions look pretty much perfect for piste skiing. Eight to nine hours of sunshine each day, light winds, very dry air and all lifts and runs now open. Cool

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/maps-and-charts/surface-pressure/
ski holidays
Thaw + sun = icerink.
snow conditions
Icerink + sun = fun going fast
snow conditions
Anyone any thoughts on how some of the couloirs might be? I know there may not be fresh snow in the next while but I assume they've had a lot of snow?
ski holidays
@luigi, Challenge accepted. wink

@pjd, Thanks for the tips - I'm in town for two months so I'm looking forward to finding my way about!
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Thaw + sun = icerink.

Probably not at less than 40% humidity in December. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I arrived in Corvara two days ago for a week of skiing and the pistes are in very good condition. Wall to wall sunshine is expected this week, and it’s supposed to warm up a bit. But I think there is plenty of snow so no need to worry too much. I’m a nervous skier and the conditions are ideal.

One question for the vets - I was up in Pralongia area today and loved it. But I did not like having to take Piste 8 back down to Corvara. The bit below Pinte Trieste was really crowded and bumpy and I hated it - quite steep for a blue. Is there another way back into Corvara from that area that avoids this bit of the piste?
snow report
@mia5859, you could try run 21 off Paralongia then on to 21a past Marmotta. 21a is a red but pretty benign (IIRC), very often the reds are easier and not much, if any steeper. Lots of traffic avoid the reds making the alternative blues very busy and chopped up.

I was in Val di Fassa last week and the pistes were in great condition. Only one off day when all four passes were closed due to wind, which meant we were confined to the valley.

Enjoy the rest of the week. snowHead
ski holidays
If I am remember correctly, 21A ends at the Planac lift ; it is then 200/300 metres (slightly) uphill to get back on to the bottom of 8 for Corvara ; But then, I can't think of another alternative from Pralongia
snow report
I agree that that part of 8 is tricky and always busy. I’m also a nervous skier and avoid it when possible. Unfortunately from the top of Pralongia you’re only direct route is to come down 8 (which is why I gets so cut up and littered with skiers). However if you’ve left enough time here is a much nicer route back home although from that area you will have to take a gondola from San Cassiano.
From the top of Pralongia II, take Route 9 (to Piz Sorega) all the way down to San Cassiano which is a lovely long, gentle blue. Take the gondola back up. From there take Route 28 (blue) and take La Brancia chairlift. Then jump straight on Braia Fraia chair lift (after about a 25m ski) which you must get off at the midpoint. Ski down blue 5 to Alara lift, don’t take it but continue down taking either of the 2 short sections to join up with the last bit of blue 8 taking you straight down into Corvara but avoiding the nasty bit.
This sounds a long way round but is actually pretty quick and if you’re anything like me you’ll much prefer it. Your other option is to ski down 21 and then join red route 21a which is actually always quiet and pretty nice run down to Planac (and the bottom of Pralongia I). You then cross the road and take a drag lift up (Crep de Munt) and then you have to ski down route 1 (starts blue but ends up red) which takes you directly into Corvara adjacent to the Boe lift. To be honest with you I hate the end of that route too (also gets cut up towards the end of the day) and so I’m not sure that home run will solve your problem.
I hope that’s helped somewhat. As a nervous skier, I’ve found Alta Badia to be excellent for my skiing confidence but I spent my first few trips there working out how to avoid the nasty bits! One other tip... if you find yourself heading over to Campolongo via Cherz, I always avoid the blue 31 (which has a very steep bit at the bottom which I hate) and take the red 24 which is genuinely much easier. Wider, quieter and not really at all steep for a red.
snow conditions
Thank you @neddyskigoon, @albob and @katiebobble. You really have made this nervous skier a bit more optimistic. Some great tips. Just looking at my ski map, it looks like 21a joins up directly with blue 8 near the bottom (and past my nemesis bit) and I don’t see any uphill or the need to take another lift To get down into Corvara from there. Can’t find the Planac lift on the map @albob. So that looks like a very good option

@katiebobble, I took the blue down to San Cassiano today and LOVED it. So your alternative route home looks great as well, although I can’t see the Braia Fraie chair lift on the map but assume it will all be obvious and signposted if I follow your directions. I will give it a try tomorrow

Thanks again for the tips!!
ski holidays
I spelt it wrong - it’s actually Braia Fraida chair and is tucked just behind La Brancia hut and slightly to the right and in front of I Tabla hut. Blue 6 heads off from there too. That might help you spot it. Have fun!
latest report
Also... download the Dolomiti Superski app. The 3D map of Alta Badia is really good for planning routes and helps you see ups and downs (not always clear on the 2D map). You will see that the part of 8 that joins up with 21a is definitely uphill. Planac lift is actually called Pralongia I.
snow conditions
@mia5859, "Can’t find the Planac lift on the map " As Katie has said the lift is called Pralongia (but not I .....! Smile ) ::

It is the area that is known as Planac (I should have been clearer..)
snow report
The Metoceil model looks dry for the next 7 days albeit with a possible dusting around the 5th January. High pressure remains in charge with light winds and very dry air so the skiing should remain excellent. A cold snap around the 5th to the 8th could introduce some significantly cooler air for three or four days.
snow report
albob wrote:
If I am remember correctly, 21A ends at the Planac lift ; it is then 200/300 metres (slightly) uphill to get back on to the bottom of 8 for Corvara ; But then, I can't think of another alternative from Pralongia

You are right, it does end at the Pralongia lift at Planac. Yes it maybe 200/300 metres and uphill to get back onto piste 8 but it definately is not slightly uphill. I've skied down to it from 8 from near the top of the first drag and there is quite a steep section down before it flattens out before the Pralongia lift. I definately wouldn't be climbing up that section in ski boots carrying skis.
ski holidays
KatiePopple wrote:
I agree that that part of 8 is tricky and always busy. I’m also a nervous skier and avoid it when possible. Unfortunately from the top of Pralongia you’re only direct route is to come down 8 (which is why I gets so cut up and littered with skiers). However if you’ve left enough time here is a much nicer route back home although from that area you will have to take a gondola from San Cassiano.
From the top of Pralongia II, take Route 9 (to Piz Sorega) all the way down to San Cassiano which is a lovely long, gentle blue. Take the gondola back up. From there take Route 28 (blue) and take La Brancia chairlift. Then jump straight on Braia Fraia chair lift (after about a 25m ski) which you must get off at the midpoint. Ski down blue 5 to Alara lift, don’t take it but continue down taking either of the 2 short sections to join up with the last bit of blue 8 taking you straight down into Corvara but avoiding the nasty bit.
This sounds a long way round but is actually pretty quick and if you’re anything like me you’ll much prefer it. Your other option is to ski down 21 and then join red route 21a which is actually always quiet and pretty nice run down to Planac (and the bottom of Pralongia I). You then cross the road and take a drag lift up (Crep de Munt) and then you have to ski down route 1 (starts blue but ends up red) which takes you directly into Corvara adjacent to the Boe lift. To be honest with you I hate the end of that route too (also gets cut up towards the end of the day) and so I’m not sure that home run will solve your problem.
I hope that’s helped somewhat. As a nervous skier, I’ve found Alta Badia to be excellent for my skiing confidence but I spent my first few trips there working out how to avoid the nasty bits! One other tip... if you find yourself heading over to Campolongo via Cherz, I always avoid the blue 31 (which has a very steep bit at the bottom which I hate) and take the red 24 which is genuinely much easier. Wider, quieter and not really at all steep for a red.

Unless things have changed, your alternative route down from Arlara requires going down red 5. After the initial section you can continue on the same slope down to bottom of Arlara lift or you can veer left onto blue 5A which will also take you down to Arlara lift via Boconara hut. However, red 5 from Arlara, when you take the initial first left hand turn, becomes quite steep and definately as steep as the steepest part of blue 8. It may not be as cut up as blue 8 so you could be lucky. The remainder of the run (either on blue 5 or 5A) does involve some sections which are still fairly steep when compared to the lower remaining section on blue 8. I personally dont think there is much in it with either the blue 8 route or the Arlara route. Easiest way overall is to ski down to San Cassiano and take a bus or take a chair up to Piz La Illa and download via the gondola and take a bus back
ski holidays
I do this route often (including last week) and it's definitely blue all the way from Braia Fraida half way point and imo nicer than 8. I've skied both sections with many beginners and everyone likes the Arlara route best. The short steeper section I think you are referring too is wide and even at the end of the day not as cut up or anywhere near as busy as 8. There are 2 blue variations from there. Staying left is probably the gentler route down. I agree most of 8 is very gentle but that steep section is horrid if you are a nervous skier and always littered with fallers. I guess it depends on what bothers you most - for me it is always that combination of an overly busy, cut up and steepish slope.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy