Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure about Dumpling soup, but for Goulasch

The Gran Paradiso (bottom of Gran Paradiso lift)
Col Pradat (Eldweiss valley at Colfoscovo)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
@red 27,

@olderscot, There is A LOT of snow... Coming over from Cortina the road was bounded by walls of snow 1.5m high

I did wonder about that. I saw the video from the helicopter flying over the pass when it was snowbound and had a bit of a wow moment as anytime I've driven it there hasn't been that much snow there.

This one: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2512776288808499
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pretty unpleasant here (Selva) today! It’s quite warm and wet. And dark! Our guests still haven’t seen the Sassolungo. Skiing is a choice between low vis murk with decent snow higher up, or rain and slush below the clouds... We took the third option at around 1430 and retired to the bar.

Plenty of snow everywhere, and I don’t think a few warm days will do much damage.

Tomorrow looks like it may be a little better so we’re planning on a clockwise SR.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi all,

I'm going for my third trip to the Dolomites next February, staying in Corvara or Colfosco. Previous trips we were in a group of 5 or 6 people and booked private transfers from Venice airport. This time it is just me and the missus so the costs for private transfer are not as inviting.

So the alternatives are public transport (Cortina Express) or renting a car in Venice, which I would prefer and is actually cheaper than the bus as well. Problem is I have never drove on snow or ice before so I'm a bit nervous about the prospect. I'm actually a confident and experienced driver on most conditions but having no previous experience on snow is making me a bit uncomfortable. The roads from Venice to Alta Badia seemed fine on our previous trips but we never got caught in really bad weather on our transfers, so it's difficult to tell.

Should I just stick to the 4h bus ride and forget the car or would I most likely be ok driving as long as I'm conscious and drive carefully?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
maquibr wrote:
Hi all,

I'm going for my third trip to the Dolomites next February, staying in Corvara or Colfosco. Previous trips we were in a group of 5 or 6 people and booked private transfers from Venice airport. This time it is just me and the missus so the costs for private transfer are not as inviting.

So the alternatives are public transport (Cortina Express) or renting a car in Venice, which I would prefer and is actually cheaper than the bus as well. Problem is I have never drove on snow or ice before so I'm a bit nervous about the prospect. I'm actually a confident and experienced driver on most conditions but having no previous experience on snow is making me a bit uncomfortable. The roads from Venice to Alta Badia seemed fine on our previous trips but we never got caught in really bad weather on our transfers, so it's difficult to tell.

Should I just stick to the 4h bus ride and forget the car or would I most likely be ok driving as long as I'm conscious and drive carefully?

You should get plenty of good advice from other members here pretty soon. All I would say is that, make sure the car has winter tyres and snowchains. If the weather is really bad they will likely close all the high Dolomite passes, so the route via Cortina and Falzarego will not be an option. Which would leave you going via Arraba and the Campolongo pass, if that pass stayed open.

If you use the Cortina Express, just be aware of the timetable. Four main departures a day from the airport to Cortina. But only two of these have a connecting bus to Corvara. If this doesn't tie in with your arriving flight, you could be in with a long wait.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

well I've just been through the same thought process for our first DIY trip. We're flying into Venice and staying in Corvara but in the end decided to spend a week in Madonna Di Campiglio before so have a slightly different journey with more mileage. Cortina express seemed to be the the cheapest way via public transport but also the greatest chance of something going wrong, it's not far from Cortina to Corvara but it's a lot of hassle if you're stuck and need to get a taxi.

You'll see from comments here that you can get good deals on car hire going via a comparison site (£45-60 for a week for a small car with snow chains) but using those sites it's difficult to specify extras such as snow tyres or ski racks, also extra drivers are ca Eur10 per day. I nearly went for the cheap deal but thinking things over realised that this is is our 4th trip to the Dolomites and a couple of times we've had heavy snow going to/from resort and watched people sliding all over the road or putting on snow chains by the side of the road whilst our bus with winter tyres just kept on going. I don't want to be that guy...

A snowhead @geoffknight recommended Hertz as you can sometimes find deals where you get a guaranteed model car with winter tyres. When I first looked they were quite expensive and/or lacking winter tyres but I checked the other day, prices had dropped and they had availability so I went with them. Just checked again and you can get a "Guaranteed" Jag E-Pace, 4x4 with winter tyres for £130 for the first week in feb, if you sign up for their (free) gold rewards a spouse or civil partner can drive at no extra cost (also VW Tiguan, Volvo V40 for a little more and others). So hopefully you'll not need any of the bells and whistles but should the weather turn it should be good in the snow plus has room for your skis if you fancy a day away in Cortina etc (as mentioned above we'll drive up to do Hidden valley and Cinque Torri). Headline price looks more but cheap car + extra driver (Eur70 min) + ski rack (Eur 50) was going to be ca £60 up front and then Eur 120 at the airport so actually ends up cheaper for us to get the jag with winter tyres but everyone has different needs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another filthy day here I’m afraid! Warm and wet with cloud / low vis everywhere above 2000m. We abandoned our SR plan at the bottom of the Boe after a pea souper coming down from the Dantercepies, and went to explore the Pralongia area instead. It’s probably quite nice for beginners on a sunny day. According to my watch, our average speed for the day was about 30% below what we normally see. That’s a direct result of all the time spent in the murk where anything above walking pace was too fast for the conditions. The snow in places was like a late April afternoon with us all on high alert for caught edges as the heavy pistes cut up. Still, good for the kids (in particular) to practice skiing in flat light. We’ve been coming here for years and they are spoiled by the usual wall to wall sunshine....

Our guests still haven’t seen the Sassolungo...

We are back in Feb when I hope normal service is resumed!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IanTr wrote:
La la la la la la la la

snipped stuff we don't want to read!

IanTr wrote:
We are back in Feb when I hope normal service is resumed!

I think you speak for everyone there !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richb67 wrote:

You'll see from comments here that you can get good deals on car hire going via a comparison site (£45-60 for a week for a small car with snow chains) but using those sites it's difficult to specify extras such as snow tyres or ski racks, also extra drivers are ca Eur10 per day. I nearly went for the cheap deal but thinking things over realised that this is is our 4th trip to the Dolomites and a couple of times we've had heavy snow going to/from resort and watched people sliding all over the road or putting on snow chains by the side of the road whilst our bus with winter tyres just kept on going. I don't want to be that guy...

A snowhead @geoffknight recommended Hertz as you can sometimes find deals where you get a guaranteed model car with winter tyres. When I first looked they were quite expensive and/or lacking winter tyres but I checked the other day, prices had dropped and they had availability so I went with them. Just checked again and you can get a "Guaranteed" Jag E-Pace, 4x4 with winter tyres for £130 for the first week in feb, if you sign up for their (free) gold rewards a spouse or civil partner can drive at no extra cost (also VW Tiguan, Volvo V40 for a little more and others). So hopefully you'll not need any of the bells and whistles but should the weather turn it should be good in the snow plus has room for your skis if you fancy a day away in Cortina etc (as mentioned above we'll drive up to do Hidden valley and Cinque Torri). Headline price looks more but cheap car + extra driver (Eur70 min) + ski rack (Eur 50) was going to be ca £60 up front and then Eur 120 at the airport so actually ends up cheaper for us to get the jag with winter tyres but everyone has different needs.

Thank you for the tip @richb67. I just checked online with Hertz and they seem to have a VW Tiguan with Winter tires available on the "model guaranteed" R2 category. It costs 215 EUR for the week, which seems OK compared to the 600 EUR of the return transfer (ouch) or the 140 EUR for Cortina Express tickets for two people (that may not work with our return flight anyway).

The only issue is that this can only be booked over the phone for payment at pickup so whether the car will actually be there on the date with the correct tires it remains to be seen. Assuming it is there I am hoping that I should be able to tackle most road conditions except for severe bad weather, despite not having driven on snow before? Surely if it gets so bad that the main passes are closed this would also affect Cortina Express and private transfers just the same, right?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah I'd say the prospects of it not having winter tires are quite reasonable! You can probably drive any road that is open in winter tyres and if you can't hard to see how a transfer vehicle could.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quick question, is it possible to do a day trip to Kronsplatz and if so what is the best way to do it?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry meant to say from Val Gardena, we are going there we 8th Feb
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Holly101, Taxi to Piculin lift which connects to Kron. It's worth it.

(Don't be too late back. A few wild mountain wolves about Madeye-Smiley )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Holly101 wrote:

Taxi to Piculin yes. Ski to La Villa then bus will be possible but pushing it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AL9000 wrote:

Hi @al9000 would you mind expanding on 'worth it', we'll be in Corvara with a car and I wondered about popping over there for half a day. is it pretty / quiet / nice runs ? all of those ?

cheers
snow report
16degC here at Innsbruck airport..!

I’ll stop now. Weekend weather for the racers on the Saslong looks better, as does next week for those skiing over Christmas.
latest report
Holly101 wrote:

If you have a car, you can drive to Piculin, over the Gardena pass, then via Corvara & La Villa. Takes about an hour each way.

I would say getting a taxi from Selva to Piculin and back would be prohibitive cost-wise and not worth it.

You can get a free skibus between Pedraces(Badia) and Piculin and back, but you won't get much time at Kronplatz that way as it's a long way on skis to Pedraces from Selva and a long way to ski back again.

I did it once from Arabba using the skibus connection. As soon as I got to the top of Kronplatz, I had to turn round and come straight back again, so I didn't miss the bus that would allow me time to get back to Arabba. It was an interesting day out though, didn't ski the same run twice.

There's so much skiing that's closer to Selva, that I would say it's probably not worth doing this time, not to say that Kronplatz isn't a good ski area, but maybe best to leave it untill you are better positioned to attack it.
snow conditions
richb67 wrote:
AL9000 wrote:

Hi @al9000 would you mind expanding on 'worth it', we'll be in Corvara with a car and I wondered about popping over there for half a day. is it pretty / quiet / nice runs ? all of those ?

cheers

From Corvara with a car, it would be very feasible to drive down to Piculin (approx 25mins) and then ski over to San Vigilio, then up to the Kronplatz summit and do some of the long runs on the N & E side down towards Reischach or Olang.

The prettiest bit is around San Vigilio with its Dolomite backdrop of the Piz da Peres. It's a fairly popular spot because of it's impressive lift infrastructure. The big flat top of the Kronplatz summit has no fewer than 6 gondolas and 2 chairs arriving at it. So, it's often fairly busy there, but it thins out down the runs.
ski holidays
maquibr wrote:
Hi all,

You'll be fine driving as long as the weather is fine and the roads are clear.

If it's raining hard in Venice and snowing heavily in the mountains, it could be a very different story. This does happen a number of times every winter. With summer tyres you do have to go very carefully if snow is settling on the road and it gets worse with increasing altitude and less traffic bashing it all down into the salt/grit.

You may have to approach the long way round using the motorway via Verona & Bolzano and the SS49 along Pustertal, then SS244 up Val Badia.

If it's looking a bit iffy, you could always try getting up the A27/SS51 to Cortina and seeing if Falzarego pass is viable, if not you can go a longer way round via Toblach & Bruneck.

The Falzarego/Valparola Pass is generally kept ploughed and open through winter as it's a vital link East-West, but during and after a heavy snowfall, it may take a while to get it open.

But in all likelihood it will be dry as a bone and you'll be fine! snowHead
latest report
Hello Everyone,

I’m driving to the Dolomites for two months in Jan / Feb and staying in Castelrotto (I know it’s not central blah blah blah) and I’ve got a couple of questions...

1. I *think* I’ve prepped my vehicle appropriately; I’ve got

Winter tyres (snowflake and M+S stamped)
Snow chains
European Breakdown / repat cover
Insurance cover (through my policy)
Triangle
Hi viz jackets
Breathalysers
Head lamp bulbs
Euro headlight adjustors

Can anyone local suggest anything I e forgotten?

2. I wasn’t planning on bringing loads of cash with me, but rather I was going to use my Monzo card when I can. If you’re local; is MasterCard accepted broadly?

Finally - I’ll be skiing solo a lot of the time so if anyone local is up for meeting up I’d be keen to do so!
ski holidays
luigi wrote:
maquibr wrote:
Hi all,

You'll be fine driving as long as the weather is fine and the roads are clear.

If it's raining hard in Venice and snowing heavily in the mountains, it could be a very different story. This does happen a number of times every winter. With summer tyres you do have to go very carefully if snow is settling on the road and it gets worse with increasing altitude and less traffic bashing it all down into the salt/grit.

You may have to approach the long way round using the motorway via Verona & Bolzano and the SS49 along Pustertal, then SS244 up Val Badia.

If it's looking a bit iffy, you could always try getting up the A27/SS51 to Cortina and seeing if Falzarego pass is viable, if not you can go a longer way round via Toblach & Bruneck.

The Falzarego/Valparola Pass is generally kept ploughed and open through winter as it's a vital link East-West, but during and after a heavy snowfall, it may take a while to get it open.

But in all likelihood it will be dry as a bone and you'll be fine! snowHead

Ok, so I guess I will be fine as long as nothing goes wrong. Sounds about right but not exactly relaxing for the beginning and end of a holiday. I have found a post on another topic here where someone recommended the services of http://www.venicecab.com/rates.html. Prices are slightly more reasonable (215 Euros each way for two people) than what I found before so I may end up going with them. Probably about 100 EUR more than the total costs of renting a car with snow tires + fuel and etc, which is not that much, and that is only if everything goes right with the self-driving option.
snow report
Shame you are not a bit more central, you could have joined up with the bashers in Alleghe and Arabba. Just checked Google maps and it looks to far to drive. snowHead
ski holidays
@NeddySkiGoon, Not at all! That's only an hour, or I'll drive closer and ski in. I've planned to have a few days where I'm making use of the super ski pass and get across to the further reaches. What are the dates Snowheads will be there?
latest report
luigi wrote:
richb67 wrote:
AL9000 wrote:

cheers

From Corvara with a car, it would be very feasible to drive down to Piculin (approx 25mins) and then ski over to San Vigilio, then up to the Kronplatz summit and do some of the long runs on the N & E side down towards Reischach or Olang.

The prettiest bit is around San Vigilio with its Dolomite backdrop of the Piz da Peres. It's a fairly popular spot because of it's impressive lift infrastructure. The big flat top of the Kronplatz summit has no fewer than 6 gondolas and 2 chairs arriving at it. So, it's often fairly busy there, but it thins out down the runs.

I agree with luigi. We usually stay at Sankt Vigilio and usually do one or two trips by car to Corvara and it is an easy drive. As luigi says, going from Corvara it would make sense to park at Piculin. The Kronplatz area has a very high proportion of gondolas (including at Piculin) so if conditions are poor or you don't fancy a black, you can download in the gondola.
From the top of Piculin it is straightforward to get down to Sankt Vigilio (choice of black or red or gondola) and then there is a gondola across town (trans Bronta) and from there you are on the "main" Kronplatz area. The two blacks on the far side of the Kronplatz mountain (Sylwester and Hernegg) are worth a blast. As is the long (red??) run (Reid) down to the train station at Perca.
The Piculin piste is a steeeeeeep black but is lovely.
I don't think of myself as a full on black skier, but I do like these pistes. I think that the grading is a bit flattering for some of them
ski holidays
thanks for the tips
snow report
It's been raining most of the day and seems to still be raining, turns to snow at about 2,000m but otherwise plenty of slush about and expecting more slush as it is pretty warm everywhere.

An overnight cold turn and a bit of snow and it will all be lovely again, but definitely a day for sitting with a pizza and a pint.
latest report
@richb67, Sorry, missed your post. I'd just echo the others. Haven't been in a few years so I can't remember individual runs.
If you're in Corvara with a car ... definitely do it. So easy. Pick a nice day, make an early start, park at Piculin and enjoy a relaxing day out. No rushing about.

If I go back, I'd like to explore the village between Piculin and Kronz (you go over it on a horizontal chair lift); it looked so charming. So I'd probably drive a bit further, park there and do apres/explore at day end before heading back.

Post some pics here when you get back. snowHead
snow report
@LukeRibs, we arrive in Alleghe 25 January, transfer to Arabba on the 1 February and fly home on 8 February. That’s the bulk of us, there are trouble makers who arrive early and/or leave late. In Arabba, most congregate outside the Portavescovo Hotel, between 9 and 9:30, although there are some super keen who get away on the first lift, then others who have imbibed too much the night before and opt for a lie in. If you can make it you’re welcome to join us. I’m sure there will be a party to suit your skiing style, be it Flying Tiger, try a coffee in every refugio you come to or something in between. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Digger the dinosaur wrote:
It's been raining most of the day and seems to still be raining, turns to snow at about 2,000m but otherwise plenty of slush about and expecting more slush as it is pretty warm everywhere.

An overnight cold turn and a bit of snow and it will all be lovely again, but definitely a day for sitting with a pizza and a pint.

Been watching the precipitation radar most of the day and the main band of precipitation has continually been disintegrating just as it approaches the main Sella Ronda area. Cant see there being much accumulation now. Then looking mostly dry for remainder of the month. Will have to look to January or February now for any decent amount of fresh snow. Incredible, after all the November storms, soon as we get to winter proper it dries up again!! Least it should start cooling down soon (hopefully) so they can run the cannons and freshen up the lower pistes.
snow report
Super Dolomiti now reporting 400 lifts open and 1099kms of runs available snowHead
ski holidays
@jimmybog, looking a bit better now.
ski holidays
LukeRibs wrote:
That's only an hour, or I'll drive closer and ski in.

It's quite a distance from Castelrotto to Arabba, over two Alpine passes whichever way you go, probably best via Corvara over the Gardena & Campolongo passes.

It looks considerably more than an hour in the best of conditions, I'd say even more with all those early morning icy hairpins.

The main road up Val Gardena is pretty busy in the mornings, better since they built the bypass tunnels around S Christina, but Selva still gets jammed.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but you will need to be quite committed.
ski holidays
@luigi, yep, we stay in Kastelruth/Castelrotto and have done the journey a few times in the morning to Dantercepies by taxi. It’s at least 45 mins to there with traffic. Corvara probably a further 30 mins and Arabba -lots more
snow report
pjd wrote:
@jimmybog, looking a bit better now.

Yes when i checked again later it had reached the main area properly
latest report
Plenty came down overnight in Arabba and it’s still snowing as we leave this morning. Pistes have held up well all week, despite warm and wet conditions. Anyone coming out for Christmas should be in for a treat...
snow report
maquibr wrote:
Hi all,

I would argue for the bus. An unexpected (or even expected) storm in the mountains is not where you want to have your baptism by fire, as it were. I was fortunate to grow up in the country in the northeast US so bad conditions driving is almost second nature to me. Having said that, it still carries risks, and putting on show chains with cold fingers alongside a slushy, dirty road, is NEVER easy.

Sure, it's LIKELY that the trip will be clear. I've not yet run into really bad conditions on the trip into the Dolomites. But we've had some days when Passo Sella has been impassable without chains. And some trips to the French Alps that were full-on epics -- as in, stories that will get me a shout at the bar. And the other problem with having a car is that you feel bound to use it at the station, even when conditions might dictate that you wait in a skibus queue.
ski holidays
Looks as though the better weather will return around the 23rd and things should calm down a bit then. More snow had fallen than forecast but it looks wet. Could really do with a week of sunny dry weather to improve the snow. Looking very wild further west Puzzled
Almost every lift and every km of run are open today in the connected areas of val gardena, arraba, alta badia and val di fassa and nearby Kronplatz Cool
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Live-info/Open-lifts

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 21-12-19 15:35; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Snow has fallen right down to St Ulrich (1230m)
snow report
@pjd, Any local tips for Castelrotto? Sounds like Dantercepies might be worth driving up to now and again. I'm really, really not put off by a 45 minute drive e/w!
ski holidays
pjd wrote:
Snow has fallen right down to St Ulrich (1230m)

And enough to cancel todays DownHill..!

"..The downhill race in Val Gardena/Gröden planned for Saturday had to be cancelled due to heavy snow and rainfall.

As the predicted weather change came later than expected, the race jury together with the OC team decided to cancel the downhill classic. The snowfall in the upper part of the course and the rain in the valley meant that the course was no longer skiable and the safety of the racers no longer guaranteed. Therefore, a regular race was impossible..."
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy