Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
red 27 wrote:

Perfectly feasible for competent red run skiers to complete a circuit of the SR starting from and ending at Pozza with no need for car or bus. The new double decker lift from
Alba to the Belvedere area is a big help

Sure, but every day for the entire week?? And that's assuming his accommodation is walkable to the Buffaure gondola.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mountainaddict,

I’m excited for you snowHead Last year you backed Out of the Dollies because of some lame excuse about chasing the deep stuff after the Stau event in Austria.

With all The snow this year I think you will be impressed. In fact I predict you will struggle just to come to terms with the possibilities available Cool Just hope you get some of that Dolomite sunshine to fully appreciate the views. The skiing is good too. Obviously it’s not the Pennines, but it’s up there Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, Of the two - Arabba - it is right on the Sella Ronda so no driving. quiet nightlife, but I suspect the same of Pozza
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
albob wrote:
I see from the webcams that the Campolongo chair started running at the weekend. Smile :: just a few skiers seen

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/passo-campolongo.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/trentino-alto-adige/trento/madonna-di-campiglio.htmlMadonna di Campiglio looking busy Wink

Decided to sneak in a Mon - Friday trip week before Christmas. Would be rude not to Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountainaddict we spent a week last February half term in Pozza. We flew to Venice Marco Polo and hired a car. We thought Pozza was a great base. We had a couple of days skiing in San Pelligrino and Alpe Luisa which I highly recommend. The Buffaure lift also opens early if you don't fancy driving. It think it's the earliest we've ever managed to get on a lift in fact, ten past eight. The only downside was that if you wanted to ski to Alba to get on the circuit, you did tend to end up in a very long queue for the gondola up. Some great, very reasonably priced restaurants in Pozza too. We stayed in the Hotel Bernard which was very basic but clean comfortable with a great breakfast.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking at the Alta Badia webcams I've been surprised with the amount of piste grooming going on considering they didn't open until the 4th December.

So maybe no surprise when I see this on their website

Quote:

Given the abundant snowfalls of mid-November, the cutting-edge technologies used in the ski area and the constant commitment of our ski lift operators,

Alta Badia is bringing forward the start of the ski season to the 30th November.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wishfulthinker wrote:
Mountainaddict we spent a week last February half term in Pozza. We flew to Venice Marco Polo and hired a car. We thought Pozza was a great base. We had a couple of days skiing in San Pelligrino and Alpe Luisa which I highly recommend. The Buffaure lift also opens early if you don't fancy driving. It think it's the earliest we've ever managed to get on a lift in fact, ten past eight. The only downside was that if you wanted to ski to Alba to get on the circuit, you did tend to end up in a very long queue for the gondola up. Some great, very reasonably priced restaurants in Pozza too. We stayed in the Hotel Bernard which was very basic but clean comfortable with a great breakfast.

Half-term week is busy at all 3 uplifts at that end of the Val di Fassa...Campitello, Canazei & Alba.

It's high season anyway and Canazei/Alba is very popular with Danish families whose half-term seems to often coincide with the UK.

You're best off exploring the quieter areas down the valley than wrestling with the crowds on the Sella Ronda.

Perhaps not quite such an issue in Jan though?!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all,

Counting down the days and weeks to our first every Dolomites trip! We can't wait!

So we are staying in Penia, Val Di Fassa. End of January.
On average, what is the snow level generally at village level? With the exception of our Saalbach trip last season, we have only ever stayed on piste or a stones throw away. Can we expect it to be at last covered with a dusting? Just wondering if it's worth bringing the snow boots!

Also, how good are they in general at clearing the roads as we will be catching the bus in the mornings to the lifts in Alba. Are they walk-able from Penia if needed? Say...for example there is a massive dumping?
We are planning on renting a ski locker at the lifts anyway, so won't be carting about gear. (Any recommendations welcome!)

Cheers
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers all....the deed is done and we are all booked for an absolute bargain week in the Dolomites from 11th Jan.
- Ryanair Brum to Verona - £28 each return, plus unavoidable bag cost (you even pay for hand luggage these days Confused )- total £104. Ski carriage is not booked yet - may hire as looking cheaper than £90 to check them in (in one ski bag)...
- Vigo di Fassa apartment - £280.
- Car hire to be booked - but looking like £60 inc snow chains.

Can't wait Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

You are right PeterS - after booking Innsbruck flights last January, we cancelled Dolomites digs to ski a week of waist deep powder in The Tirol... rolling eyes . This time, the bargain digs aren't cancellable as we have paid in full... wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
would be interested to know who you're using for the car hire and if that is just one driver or more, that looks like a very good price.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fridge03 wrote:
Hi all,

Counting down the days and weeks to our first every Dolomites trip! We can't wait!

So we are staying in Penia, Val Di Fassa. End of January.
On average, what is the snow level generally at village level? With the exception of our Saalbach trip last season, we have only ever stayed on piste or a stones throw away. Can we expect it to be at last covered with a dusting? Just wondering if it's worth bringing the snow boots!

Also, how good are they in general at clearing the roads as we will be catching the bus in the mornings to the lifts in Alba. Are they walk-able from Penia if needed? Say...for example there is a massive dumping?
We are planning on renting a ski locker at the lifts anyway, so won't be carting about gear. (Any recommendations welcome!)

Cheers

there wasn't much snow in the valley when we were in Canazei last March but someone with more experience will be able to give more info.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the buses as the valley road is flat and the buses will all be equipped to handle snow. Also worst case you can probably walk to the two lifts on the edge of Penia in your ski boots. Just make last minute decision on snow boots based on weather forecast and conditions.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We stayed in Penia last January, in the Dolomites Inn, the walk to Alba is around 10 minutes in normal shoes, there is a small ski bus that stops right outside the hotel, but can be busy and not always guaranteed to get on, there is another bus stop further down the road, they are the bigger buses and are more frequent. Having a ski locker is a good idea.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, nice prices there! Vigo is a good spot for hitting the various lift bases along the valley. Cool

The local Catinaccio area is small, but very pretty and has some worthwhile runs, not least the Thoni back down to the cablecar. Good for half a day maybe.

Up at Passo San Pellegrino/Falcade, there's plenty to keep you busy if the sun is shining. Nice groomers on the Cima Uomo side and the long sweeping reds down from Col Margherita are very worthwhile. Avoid weekends and it won't be busy.

You could just get the Valle Silver pass for more cost-cutting if you've done the Sella Ronda & Marmolada and aren't bothered about going again. €255 vs €282 for Dolomiti Superski, but maybe for €27 it's worth having the option.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richb67 wrote:
would be interested to know who you're using for the car hire and if that is just one driver or more, that looks like a very good price.

Hmm, suspiciously cheap, is there a catch?
ski holidays
I find if you use brokers car rental in Italy in winter is super cheap, like 6 euro a day
ski holidays
Quote:
Car hire to be booked - but looking like £60 inc snow chains
No catch - it's with Autoeurope who we have used on numerous previous occasions. Just booked tonight - cost is actually £51.60 for a week Very Happy. And 5% cash back to come from Quidco too.

Prices were obtained from Travelsupermarket. Alternatives were coming in at similar prices but were 60-odd quid and upwards.

The price is for a Corsa-sized car; unlimited mileage; pick up full & return full; snow chains; and basic insurance (we have an insurance policy for excess recovery); and one driver. And (as ever with Autoeurope) it's cancellable free of charge up to 48hrs before pick up.
latest report
@mountainaddict, which company will you be renting from? We'll also be hiring from Verona later this winter, so will be interested to hear how you get on.

(Looking forward to hearing about the skiing part too, obviously!)
snow report
Bergfex are forecasting some pretty warm temperatures towards the end of next week https://www.bergfex.com/sommer/corvara/wetter/prognose/ . Still it's only up to around 10-11C in the valley and I'm sure (in my head at least, I'm no weather forecaster) it won't last enough to do any real damage to all the snow they have already. I'm thinking that even if it happens it's really only like a typical day in March.
ski holidays
Quote:
Which company will you be renting from?
That'll be by the name of Interrent - stated as being on the airport.

We'll be landing at 14.00 - might Verona be worth a look? Or anywhere else en-route to the Dolomites Puzzled
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

We'll be landing at 14.00 - might Verona be worth a look? Or anywhere else en-route to the Dolomites Puzzled

Verona is definitely worth a look, a lovely historic centre with the Roman Arena, Juliet's balcony, parking isn't easy and not sure you'll have much daylight once you get clear of the airport though.

Interrent is the low cost brand from Europcar. Hopefully you'll get something newer from the fleet.

I've done low cost brands...Thrifty for Hertz and Budget for Avis and had decent cars from what looks to be a shared fleet, but Interrent hasn't done well in customer surveys.

Might be worth paying the tenner extra for one of the bigger names.
latest report
I just had a car for 4 days from Interrent in Edinburgh for the massive price of £1.16 a day.
£1100 deposit left on my card but car handed back today with instant confirmation of no extra damage and full deposit to be returned. Fingers crossed but used in Spain a few times without issues, they don't seem to stringent with checking the car over at end of rental either
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Verona is definitely worth a look -- we almost always stay there overnight on the way back. Some good restaurants, walkable city center. Just avoid "Juliet's balcony." There's lot of parking along the river in winter.

Another very nice spot is Lake Garda, but save it for a sunny day. The drive up the western side of the lake is really scenic although budget for plenty of time...
snow conditions
Verona is nice, but I actually think Bolzano is nicer and less tourist twaddle due to an absence of Shakespearean interest. Plus the Otzi museum (stone age man they found frozen in the glacier) is absolutely superb. Not sure whether its on your route.
snow report
Alta Badia are reporting a piste depth of 43cms on the lower slopes and 78cms on the upper slopes. I think their target depth is 45cm so in theory they have enough snow to last all season! I notice they are making some more this morning.....just in case Laughing

https://snowreport.skicarosello.it/skicarosello/?lang=en
latest report
8611 wrote:
Verona is nice, but I actually think Bolzano is nicer and less tourist twaddle due to an absence of Shakespearean interest. Plus the Otzi museum (stone age man they found frozen in the glacier) is absolutely superb. Not sure whether its on your route.

Agree, advantage to Verona for us is that it's roughly halfway between Milan and Val Gardena so makes a good lunch/dinner stop.
snow report
Just had an email from Dolomitisuperski -- they officially open tomorrow !! Smile

Website showed 136 lifts open today !

"...Finally the time has arrived! On Saturday, November 30th we officially start the 2019-20 ski season and thanks to the heavy snowfall in mid-November we can surprise you with 137 open lifts and 342 km of perfectly prepared slopes in 11 of the 12 ski areas of Dolomiti Superski…."
snow report
snowHead

10 days til my trip, can't wait!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So that means they are open during the week too?
latest report
I hope so as I'm going to Eastern side of Dolomites from today for several days.
ski holidays
Webcams showing large groups of skiers at Passo Sella this morning. Minus 6 and snow guns blazing....meanwhile I will be stuck at a swim meet... Confused
snow conditions
Kronplatz opening day. 17 lifts and 46kms of runs now open and you can see folk skiing above a lovely inversion in the Pusteral valley this morning.

https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c1395/

Looks like great snow cover above 1300m, so just the very lowest slopes need some cover now.

At last much drier and cooler air has reached the Dolomites so that will help dry out the base and allow snowmaking. I wonder if they are making snow today to build a deeper base or just to provide a drier skiing surface?

I would imagine they can now gradually open up the whole super Dolomiti and potentially most lifts and runs could be open before Christmas, if they get reasonable weather. snowHead

63% of slopes are now ready In the Alta Badia apparently Cool
https://snowreport.skicarosello.it/skicarosello/?lang=en
snow report
8611 wrote:
So that means they are open during the week too?

I think once they officially open, they will remain open for the season : you can check opening dates here

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Live-info/Open-lifts

=====

Webcam watching shows Slalom race going on at Piz Sella....
snow conditions
Could one of our resident experts help me out with some routing please? We will be in based Selva, and I am hoping to take my family over to ski the Hidden Valley. I know the way to Corvara and the Boé lift as that's on our regular SR circuit.

From there I'm guessing that we need to take the Costes Da L'ega (no. 29) lift which appears to start nearby. Is that correct, and if so where do we head next? I know we need to get over to Armentarola. The post map I'm looking at isn't very clear on how to do this. https://skimap.org/data/2053/2205/1575110339.pdf

I'm hoping not to have to work it all out on the fly..! We're all decent skiers so anything pisted is fine. Thanks in advance.

Oh - and the best way back toward Selva after the horse drawn thing..?
ski holidays
I think I would head for the Col Alt Gondola to get up onto the Pralongia Plateau via the Brancia chair. From there, if my memory serves me right, its down to the Ciampai chair that gets you above San Cassiano. Then take the long blue, 11 I think, and cut off to Armentarola about 2/3rds of the way down on the right - its signposted.
snow conditions
You could download the Dolimiti 3D Ski app onto your PC. It's really very good for working out routes in your head.

From Corvara, take the Costes da L'Ega chairlift (it's the only one there) and then you have a choice of two routes.

Either, turn left and ski down and take the Col Alto Gondola, then ski across and take the Braia Fraida Chairlift, then ski down to and take the Ciampai chairlift and after that ski down to Armentarola.

or,

take the Capanna Nera drag lift, then down to the right to the Pralongia Chairlift, then down to the Pralongia II chairlift, then ski down to Armentarola.

I tend to prefer the second option but there's probably not much in it.
ski holidays
Like olderscot I prefer his second option, but if you hate drags go for his first option.

==== return ===

Take the drag out of Armentorola and ski down to San Cassiano. Piz Sorega bubble and down to the Bambi Chair for Piz Ila. From there its down to the Roby chair and from the top there are various routes down to Corvara
latest report
albob wrote:
Like olderscot I prefer his second option, but if you hate drags go for his first option.

==== return ===

Take the drag out of Armentorola and ski down to San Cassiano. Piz Sorega bubble and down to the Bambi Chair for Piz Ila. From there its down to the Roby chair and from the top there are various routes down to Corvara

That would be my preference too, the run down from Pralongia to Armentarola is one of my faves, a wide empty rollercoaster blue. Go past the bottom of the drag, over the bridge, through the trees up to the right of the Hotel Armentarola, the minibuses for Falzarego pick up in the lay-by off the main road there.

On the return, after the horse-tow drops you, there's quite a bit of poling to do along the track, past the Hotel Valparol, then down alongside the frozen riverbed back to the bridge to pick up the drag, just follow the crowd! snowHead
snow conditions
Does anyone know what run I took these pictures on, the slay took us to a great restaurant a few minutes away, I can't remember where it was?

ski holidays
I found it, spotted the restaurant name on one of the pics, way off the beaten track. Tana dell'Orso

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 30-11-19 19:51; edited 5 times in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy