Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March 2020 - Resort Recommendations Austria or Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to plan a skiing holiday for my wife and I (we're in our 40s) in the first or second week of March 2020. We've not been on a ski holiday for about 10 years, last time we went to Filzmoos, Austria and I remember we liked it.

We are looking for: Somewhere in Austria or Italy that is suitable for beginners, not very big / crowded, with potential to fly from London - we can rent a car if needed or arrange transfer. Has to be pretty and we don't need anything too raucous in terms of apres - but a few nice restaurants / bars close would be very nice. Can anyone recommend anywhere? I was looking at Passo Tonale for example, but not sure now and I'm overwhelmed with so many apparent options. We're not bound too tight in terms of budget.

Any recommendations very much appreciated, including accommodation (preferably self-catering or B&Bs).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dezro,
Welcome to snowHead
To be honest I'm not surprised your overwhelmed with those specifications there are loads of options.
The Dolomites are very well thought of here and plenty of places would suit your requirements as they are very beautiful , have a partial Austrian/Italian ambience particularly with regards to food, which can be a little dull in the evening in some of the smaller Austrian places in my experience.
Resorts within the alta badia or near alpe de suisi have a great reputation for gentle skiing but not having personally been to these ones I cannot say which ones are particularly suitable.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dezro, First or second week in March is a quiet time! You would really enjoy Courmayeur in the Italian Aosta Valley. Fly into Turin, hire a car, stay just outside Courmayeur itself ( Entreves, La Palud, Dolonne). Some lovely skiing in the back side of Mont Blanc, a few quite wonderful eateries on the mountain, and a rather pleasant central town pedestrianised area. Must mention the "Bar Roma", a Courmayeur institution!
Plus side is that with a car you are close enough to ski La Thuile (30mins), Champoluc (75 mins), all in the Aosta Valley area.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 8-11-19 19:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dezro, welcome! Agreed that the Dolomites are right up your alley and I'd say Alta Badia in particular. Endless, wide, gentle terrain. Good connection to other areas which would also be suitable; their tougher stuff is easily avoided. I go there in mid-March (slightly later, I realize) and it is just shy of deserted. Several villages to choose from; I like San Cassiano but its nightlife is near zero so it might be too quiet for you. Others can help with that.

Connected to Alta Badia by bus, or a short drive, is Kronplatz. Again, endless ego-soothing terrain, great lift system, and two interesting museums on the summit that are both worth a visit. If you take the bus from Alta Badia, you'll probably want to take the gondola down at the end of the day as its a nice long black run, possibly more than your tired legs will want.

I have become an evangelist of sorts for Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis (Western AUT) as well. It was suggested to me here last year and I went in March. Terrific terrain and lift system, fun air-cushion subway system in town. And while I have nothing against Brits or Americans, it was fun to be in a place for a few days where there aren't any. My hotelier said I was the first Yank to ever stay in their establishment. (Talk about pressure!) Plenty of English spoken by those that we need to deal with. You'll see they focus on families; I'm solo when I'm there and its great. Plenty of places for the kids to go which creates good separation.

Elsewhere on Snowheads is a great school vacation schedule; track it down to see if there are any places you should avoid.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks a lot guys for the quick replies and recommendations. I think I'll stick to Alta Badia region for now then, and make some progress with the accommodation and flight arrangements. Kronplatz also looks stunning.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@dezro, Sent you a PM.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I was in your ski boots I'd be looking at Austria not Italy for the simple reason that as beginners or re-beginners, you'll be wanting lessons. While there are exceptions to every rule, I think that you get a far better quality of instruction and the instructors are more likely to speak good English in Austria than in Italy.

You don't need a large ski area so save Alta Badia for when you can get more out of it. There are loads of possible places in Austria that are good for beginners and have enough of a centre to provide you with good dining options. Zell am See perhaps?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Riccardo wrote:
If I was in your ski boots I'd be looking at Austria not Italy for the simple reason that as beginners or re-beginners, you'll be wanting lessons. While there are exceptions to every rule, I think that you get a far better quality of instruction and the instructors are more likely to speak good English in Austria than in Italy.

You don't need a large ski area so save Alta Badia for when you can get more out of it. There are loads of possible places in Austria that are good for beginners and have enough of a centre to provide you with good dining options. Zell am See perhaps?

Fair point Riccardo, while Austria seems the easier and more sensible choice (from London anyway), and we'll probably get some lessons on the slopes, I'd like to stay away from the (more) touristy hotspots if I can and also enjoy what I consider the better cuisine. And I've never been to Italy / Dolomites in winter. I can clearly see that getting there is more expensive & time consuming, but hopefully I'll manage to find something that works for us.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dezro, I think Champoluc might fit the bill perfectly for you, specially if you want some lessons. Ski2 run holidays to Champoluc and also run a ski school with excellent British instructors. You can fly to a number of different airports and Ski2 pick you up. We went via Geneva and it was a very pleasant 3-hour transfer. They're not the cheapest tour operators but it is a very good quality offering. https://ski2champoluc.com/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kronplatz (Italy).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you are still considering Austria then we love Zell am See. Really pretty, lots to do in town and an excellent ski school plus lots of intermediate pistes and some lovely tree lined runs back down into town. Some fab restaurants and hotels too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy