Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backcountry.com (alpinetrek.co.uk) trademark lawsuit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This story is very similar to the Specialized (Bikes) Vs Cafe Roubaix bike shop in Alberta. Corporate lawyers not quite getting the community that the product/brand is aimed at.https://www.velonews.com/2013/12/bikes-and-tech/specializeds-disastrous-trademark-case-is-unnecessary-to-defend-the-brand_310878
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A few sources now say everything has been dropped by Backcountry.com, after Global backlash.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PowderAdict, Not quite true, it hasn't dropped the 50+ petitions its filed at the US Patent and Trademark Office.

Its dropped the case against the only small business that chose to fight - and done nothing to the other businesses it bullied into name changing, thuds incurring costs they couldn't afford. They are now partnering David Ollila to help his brand, and he's acting as a consultant for them

https://coloradosun.com/2019/11/08/backcountry-com-fires-attorneys-tries-to-make-amends/

They have fired the law firm though that did the pursuing for them, so hopefully this wont happen again rolling eyes wink

I've bought stuff from them before, but only because it was convenient, and they were the only retailer who had stock.
They obviously don't understand the mindset of the outdoor pursuit enthusiasts who is their target market.

Unfortunately the genuine knowledgeable staff there may suffer due to this, through no fault of their own.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice quote by David Ollila towards the end of the article and good to see someone looking at the bigger picture and that we’re stronger and possibly more profitable together rather than trying to beat each other up all the time.

“I think this might sound a little cliché, but I think there’s a way for Backcountry to move forward and to grow and to heal,” Ollila said. “There is a way for my company to prosper, which is why I started it in the first place. And then the market benefits when people choose to work together versus against each other. I think this is good for the outdoor industry.”
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam wrote:
I kid ye not, Steamboat Resort in Colorado trademarked the phrase "Champagne Powder" and they go legal with any resort who might use the phrase in their promo material, even resorts owned by the same holding company.

Source is that OH and I had a few dinners with the PR director of said resort!

Yeah and they are assholes for it. Given their snow is on average worse than Utah frexample.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I did suggest maybe she should go to Japan and see what real Champagne Powder is and the amounts!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bones wrote:
... it hasn't dropped the 50+ petitions its filed at the US Patent and Trademark Office. ... Its dropped the case against the only small business that chose to fight - and done nothing to the other businesses it bullied into name changing, thuds incurring costs they couldn't afford. ...
Well if I was one of them I'd counter-sue.
Their litigation is without basis as demonstrated because they have not continued to defend it.
It looks a lot like vexatious litigation and appears vexatious.
I'd be happy to have a chat with them down our local court if they had the cash and the audacity to defend themselves, which of course they would not.

I still don't really get this. In my direct experience corporates are broadly brain-dead, and their lawyers hunt in groups of 100, so their costs are enormous.
At best it's a bluff, easy to call, in the UK at least.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
I kid ye not, Steamboat Resort in Colorado trademarked the phrase "Champagne Powder" and they go legal with any resort who might use the phrase in their promo material, even resorts owned by the same holding company.

Source is that OH and I had a few dinners with the PR director of said resort!

Yeah and they are assholes for it. Given their snow is on average worse than Utah frexample.

I never quite get the connection between Champagne and powder. So perhaps, if they were the ones who "created" the connection with that phrase and popularize it, it's not too unfair they get to use it exclusively?

Weathercam wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I did suggest maybe she should go to Japan and see what real Champagne Powder is and the amounts!

My very casual touristy friend from Hong Kong said the powder in Japan as "sugary", or better yet "like baby powder"! Perhaps some mountain will trademark those phrases and beat Steamboat at its own game?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:

I never quite get the connection between Champagne and powder. So perhaps, if they were the ones who "created" the connection with that phrase and popularize it, it's not too unfair they get to use it exclusively?

Me neither, here's the history
https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/rancher-came-up-with-champagne-powder-in-1950s/

so snow is like a sticky fizzy French wine that leaves you with a hangover or worse, makes you throw up if you have too much?

I guess it is part of the marketing skiing luxury, exclusive, aspirational product.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy