Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2019 - 2020 and associated areas

Poster: A snowHead
Really interesting reports as Mr Mogulski and I arrive next Saturday. We had a day in Serre Che in 2005 when in Sauze and a week with a school trip in the 1990s. Will be interesting to see how the area has changed. Any news on getting the avalanched lift running by next weekend?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mogulski, I saw that they had already put the new hut in by the lift and all the snow was cleared, but today it was closed.

I also saw groups of people walking up from Monetier Eychauda lift to ski Vallons though the lift later closed, so they'd have to get bus back.

Also this was the reason the Lautaret was closed on Sat after the strong winds

Should add that we're interviewing the Chief of Piste Security on Tuesday maybe he might know when it will open Very Happy

If you have any questions that you're curious about let me know.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 15-12-19 16:58; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mogulski, I've heard it will be ready sometime this week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that. Looking forward to skiing there again. We are usually in Meribel for Christmas but got a good deal with Skibound for Serre Che. Then going to Andorra in January as we discovered that over 65s get a free ski pass, then Birthday Bash in February. Rest of the season not sorted yet....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Happy Christmas maybe

Conditions pretty uninspiring here this week until Friday, grey overcast sky with temps around +5 which will consolidate the snow-pack, which is probably a good thing prior to the holidays.

Some pretty scary photos of a big slide on the Clot Gauthier on Saturday, though that area did have some poles above it marking it out as a steep drop/rocks but someone took a line under it as there is so much snow there.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Suppose I should come clean about the conditions this week, pretty dire to say the least Sad

In fact, just had a WhatsApp from a good friend who does not really ski who is out here.

Well what’s going on with the frigging weather? Even I know this isn’t ideal.

This morning is worse because we have rain in the valley so that makes it grimmer.

Friends piste skiing have just reported snow is a bit soft.

There's still plenty of the white stuff around so don't panic and hopefully more on the way for this Friday and over Xmas though temps will dictate whether it falls as snow in the valley.

XC tracks now all up and running, both classic and skating.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good news is that the Cucumell chairlift is back up and running.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm hoping to travel from Calais to Briancon by car at the weekend. Previously, I have used the Col du Lautaret, but I have seen the post above saying it was closed due to the volume of snow. Any advice? I've got winter tyres and snow chains.

I have found this link. Is this the best info on whether the col is open?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The col should be open; but the forecasted strong winds may cause drifts across the road and the freezing level is dropping. Depends on what you're driving, tyres etc.
Usual alternative. Turn off the D1091 at Vizille and follow the N85 to Gap and then up the valley to Briancon. Highest point is Col Bayard,just over 1240m so much less affected by snow. The big information board as you drive towards Vizille will tell you the state of play
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bolderz, your link didn't work, try this:

http://inforoute.hautes-alpes.fr/www/index.html

Also a lot of snow forecast this weekend, so maybe take a look at coming via the Frejus tunnel, faster than going via Gap.......
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Defo go via Frejus as the Gap route could be a massive ball ache with the holiday traffic, that said you'll end up with traffic from Chambery up the Maurienne but will probably be rain there.

And just goes to show how people have different perceptions of their day etc bumped into some teachers who were having a quick pint or two or three at 18:30 in the Chaz and they were firing on all cylinders after such a great day's skiing and fresh snow!!!

Forecast looking bonkers - below is for 2,000m so look at the FL

And as @KenX, and I heard from the top honcho of Serre Che Piste & Security this week, there is not a definitive answer to what happened with regards to the Cucumelle chair avalanche rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are driving from Troyes to Monetier on Saturday... and our sons are flying into Grenoble and getting the "Bens Bus" leaving 12:30

Looks like the earlier we can get in the better!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This may be useful if you use the Frejus

https://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/pass-tunnel-du-frejus-fp3190
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Too late now to pre-buy for Saturday, but I'm hoping we will be able to use the Col du Lauteret.

Worst case we'll have to divert through Frejus and pay on the day.

For anybody looking at the link in the previous post and thinking 'but how do I buy it?', go here: https://booking.serre-chevalier.com/tunnel-du-frejus/frejus-tunnel-pass.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
willh wrote:
Too late now to pre-buy for Saturday, but I'm hoping we will be able to use the Col du Lauteret.

There is avalanche control work scheduled for Saturday morning - depending on the conditions of course - the road may be closed for some time but I assume the closures will be early in the day. They don't always go to plan mind. I'll post more info if I get it.

http://youtube.com/v/e6VgA1c41_A
latest report
@davidof, They were still clearing that on Wednesday when we went to Grenoble Shocked
latest report
@KenX, where was that ?

Fecking grim in the valley this morning, now I know what it's like to be in Morzine most days Laughing
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
@KenX, where was that ?

Fecking grim in the valley this morning, now I know what it's like to be in Morzine most days Laughing

i see what you mean about Morzine, lucky Serre-Che has the altitude.

snow conditions
@davidof, had a friend who spent a lot of time in Les Gets / Morzine and the above image is pretty well how he described it, with the words feck used a lot and rain Laughing

Maybe a month or two of snow Jan/Feb then it all starts disappearing March onwards, I really can't understand why people go there rolling eyes
snow conditions
Rain turned to wet heavy snow in the valley though was a very wet ski up on the hill.

Cam (link below) showing how it's snowing at the moment.

Went up the hill to see a mate who used to be behind the bar at Halte de Pré Chabert (bottom of Monetier) and now is at their new resto La Cabane top of Aravet lift the one that's a bit more of a hike, which used to be the old Bercauill or something.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@KenX, where was that ?

That was a 10 year old video, but they were still clearing snow from the gallery on Wednesday......
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Any idea what altitude the isotherm was hanging around at? Considering La Grave tomorrow.
snow conditions

Planned reopening on early Saturday afternoon if they can do the avalanche control work.

Fermeture Col du Lautaret

Déviation par la N85

En raison des mauvaises conditions météorologiques, le col du Lautaret situé dans les Hautes-Alpes est fermé à la circulation dans les deux sens entre Vilar d’Arène et Pont de l’Alpe pour une durée indéterminée.

Déviation par N85

Une déviation est mise en place entre Grenoble et Briançon par la RN85 via la Mure et Gap.

- Sens Grenoble vers Briançon : déviation depuis Vizille par la RN85 via La Mure, le col Bayard puis la RN94 en direction de Briançon.

- Sens Briançon vers Grenoble : déviation depuis Briançon par Gap et la RN85 via le Col Bayard et La Mure jusqu’à Vizille (descente de Laffrey).

Restrictions de circulation au Col Bayard : interdiction des PL supérieurs à 26 tonnes non munis d’un dispositif ralentisseur homologué indépendant des freins de secours et des freins de service, interdiction valable depuis la limte des Hautes-Alpes jusqu’à Gap.

Restrictions de circulation dans la Rampe de Laffrey : interdiction pour les PL de PTAC supérieur à 7,5T et aux autocars non autorisés qui devront emprunter depuis La Mure la RD529 via St Georges de Commiers.
snow conditions
Bit rubbish weather-wise here this morning............

snow conditions
Oooh. Horrid. Not much point coming out.
latest report
Col reopened at 14:45 in the end but we’d already made the call to go to the Frejus tunnel. Roads were busy but moving all the way. Lots of snow at side of road all way up to Montgenevre and down to Briançon but no issues.

Looking forward to getting up on the mountain tomorrow. It’s snowing right now.
snow conditions
Another 25cm of light-medium pow overnight, tree-skiing with @Irbis and @Maverick in constant snowfall this time, weather cleared around 13:00 or so, same as yesterday:

ski holidays
More to come tonight hopefully, so rince, lather, repeat............ Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like it's very windy there today!
latest report
KenX wrote:
Another 25cm of light-medium pow overnight, tree-skiing with @Irbis and @Maverick in constant snowfall this time, weather cleared around 13:00 or so, same as yesterday:

Looks sweet snowHead
snow report
@BobinCH, it was! Same again today too, without the sunshine Very Happy
ski holidays
Col du Lautaret closed (again!) until this afternoon, strong winds, drifting snow.......

https://www.facebook.com/joss.bonnabel/videos/10220943291110053/UzpfSTExNzQxNTkxNjc6Vks6MTAyMjA5NDMyOTExMTAwNTM/
snow conditions
@KenX, hows there so much snow in a tunnel?
snow conditions
@BobinCH, the tunnel is not enclosed, it has an open side. This is another pic https://www.laprovence.com/actu/en-direct/5353517/neige-du-mieux-sur-les-routes-des-hautes-alpes.html
ski holidays
@BobinCH, @Hells Bells, it's a gallery, shouda said Embarassed

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 24-12-19 12:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Happening a lot this season due to budget cuts for clearing snow overnight, now they're closing it during the day while they clear it................
The Col is very windy at times and that gallery along with certain points of the road are very prone to drifting!
ski holidays
Another 20cm given to us yesterday and the Chantemerle trees were in fine form!
Today being the first day of the mad New Year's rush, Weathercam, Irbis and I opted for a sneaky 800m skin up the Vallon du Fontenil between Monetier and the Lautaret, the snow seemed pretty awful on the way up tbh, crusty and not enticing, however the descent was pretty darn good Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/3ioeWuPXBLs&feature=youtu.be
latest report
That was filmed with my Xmas pressy, Crosstour CT9500 on a backpack clip, easy to attach and turn on and off, but wonder if a helmet mount may be more stable re the horizon tilting?
snow report
@KenX, looks sweet Smile A helmet mount will definitely be more stable but more likely to be clonked by lift bars / trees
ski holidays
@Sharkymark, Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy