Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2019 - 2020 and associated areas

Poster: A snowHead
Yes think that JoyApp is the bee's knees should you wish to ski this time of year?

Mind you if it were to dump then "Yes" I'd be reflecting on why I was cheapskate not buying the top flight ski pass whilst watching @KenX, chair off into the distance Laughing

So what of the snow today?

As ever various Social Media were bigging up the brief flurry from last evening, which resulted in all of two microns falling, and then quickly blown away by some huge gusts in the early hours rolling eyes

The predicted strong winds have not materialised so far and all the bubbles out of Villeneuve are working and would seem that the only lift shut is Yret.

Every now and again as we sit here watching the 10 or so sparrows that are now inhabiting our bushes, to which I've now zoomed the Cam in on, there is a flurry but as you can see the patio does not even have a dusting.

So actual vs forecast is well down currently Mad

We're out of here tomorrow going back to the UK tomorrow then back to Italy next week returning to SC next Friday, hopefully all things virus allowing.

Should the frontier be closed, the game plan is to leave van in Clavier, get a lift to the top ridge and then ski off the back of the Saurel ridge down to Cervieres and get @KenX, to collect us if he's around Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Patio slowly looking better, nearly up to a cm in places.

Can't see across to the other side of the valley.

Good thing was that cold wind earlier helped freeze the ground and now the snow is falling on colder ground.

Air temps -2

Now looking much better Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
...Should the frontier be closed, the game plan is to leave van in Clavier, get a lift to the top ridge and then ski off the back of the Saurel ridge down to Cervieres and get @KenX, to collect us if he's around Laughing

Best leave a trail of breadcrumbs; there might be a few snowHeads looking for a route on the Sat between bashes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@adithorp, @Weathercam, lol, LynnX says there's no way am I going to further the spread of Coronavirus by ferrying a slew of bug-ridden SH's into our as yet untainted valley Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So put the van down into the other parking area below us as had early start to go to Turin so did not need additional hassle of digging van out due to the expectant snow.

06:30 needn't have bothered, no more snow overnight / early hours, and when we left Serre it was BlueBird !!!

The forecast is for it to snow from circa Noon.

So I'm not suffering from FOMO as I sit here in Turin airport Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, Don't look at the Bachas webcam Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's puking, 10cm in the last hour Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Main road in Monetier:

Another 20-30cm forecast by tonight....... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@KenX, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Coming back on Monday so leave some for me!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wishing I could depart to Monetier sooner. Apartment is empty from Sun-Friday next week. Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Montagnole delivered today Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/7tXgpN-n5vs&feature=youtu.be
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenX, stunning!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not bothered

much Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Enjoy the English ale, I do actually miss that Very Happy
snow report
@KenX, been trying my best, not too sure if I now have the "virus" or a bad hangover Laughing

Pila Ski Test cancelled, now moved to Glenshee, so will probably stay in UK a while longer, and get back to Serre next Friday for FNC.

Looks like more snow for next Thursday Very Happy
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Montagnole delivered today Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/7tXgpN-n5vs&feature=youtu.be

Epic.

Lift served, bootpack, tour?
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Montagnole is lift-served via the Yret chair and returns to Monetier
latest report
@KenX, lush snowHead coming your way at the weekend
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@Mike Pow, Montagnole is lift-served via the Yret chair and returns to Monetier

Fair play
ski holidays
Anyone in SC on Monday who wants to hook up for a few runs? I'm staying with friends nr Briancon and they won't be skiing on Monday so don't want to Billy no mates. Also don't want to be skiing off piste alone.
snow report
I am not getting back to Chantemerle until Monday evening, but would be keen later in the week.
latest report
Thanks Chris. We should be in SC later in the week if you want to join us. Not sure which day yet. Will let you know.
ski holidays
Great. Wait to hear.
snow conditions
20cm overnight, 20-30cm yet to come Very Happy

snow report
@KenX, Happy
snow conditions
Oh should have booked that easter trip but skiing Saturday for a week
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been here since Sunday, Monday was challenging but 2 amazing days since. Our first time here, we are very impressed with the valleys.
ski holidays
Looks like it's going to be a cracking day today, whilst we'll be trying to get back to Serre Sad

Check out the cam panning around the garden https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow conditions
Any reports on the ground?
ski holidays
Today was possibly the best day ever since we arrived here! 50cm or so yesterday, cold temps and zero wind, perfect pow!!!
ski holidays
Interesting in that some of the local powder hounds are almost skied out, in fact one of them actually came touring with us today!

As my knee is not 100% I'm opting for touring as it's fine on the up and then skiing untracked is far kinder on it, so we've had a couple of great days and possibly the best ever lunch in a hidden gem at the bottom near one of the classics.

Pistes are in great shape and very quiet, and should be even calmer for the week ahead.

By Tuesday think we'll be investigating routes on S facing slopes as temps get a tad warmer, but should still be great conditions.

Best option was to pick the dogs up on a couple of the traverses as the snow was too deep for them.

latest report
Looks great Weathercam. What was the gem of a lunch spot?

Are conditions likely to hold up until this weekend?
snow report
me and a buddy planning to be staying at my apartment 1st week in April, hoping coronaV doesn't put a spanner in the plans.
snow conditions
im there at the UCPA on the 21st....fingers crossed
ski holidays
Update, which be warned is sort of glass half empty.

That said friends who have been staying here this week have had a great week on the piste.

It is quite amazing how the nigh on metre of snow that fell last week has disappeared so quickly!

That said we've had temps on the terrace in the 20's the last three days, hence slushy pistes mid-afternoon, and what off-piste is still around is really only good for snowboarders.

I'm also not mentioning the rain we've also had, though hopefully the rain in the early hours (heavy at times) will be all we'll now see and things should clear up, but it's already looking like another warm day.

What we should be looking forward to this time of year is Spring skiing, notably Spring Ski touring and yesterday we took a chance on what the conditions were like.

Driving up towards the Lautaret all the parking areas were rammed with ski tourers and snow-shoers.

We parked up watching the hordes go up towards Pic Blanc and decided on the Trois Evaches sector.

Within 5 mins I was questioning @KenX, if we should call it a day as the snow was horrible and was not going to get any better.

Part of the logic is that I'm carrying a dodgy knee so the thought of skiing what we were skinning over was none to pleasant.

But we carried on ever-optimistic that as we gained altitude so the snow-pack would be more Spring-like (firmer underfoot and not 30cm of stodge).

What was great was that our area was untracked with the hordes following existing skin tracks.

And at times as we climbed up it was encouraging, but my track (2,715m) as you can see sort of demonstrates what the snow was like, behind me is La Grave / Girosse Glacier.

And the first couple of pitches snow was way better than we expected and at least we were getting some turns as elsewhere we could skiers descending on a traverse fearful of making any knee tearing turns.

But then it was our turn to traverse rather than risk an injury and that was the longest traverse we've ever done from that sector where usually we're getting loads of turns in rolling eyes

Looks pretty in the photo and you can just about make out our tracks in the middle of the picture around one big slide from near the top of Pic Blanc du Galibier.

Should also add those are not skin tracks, but us traversing after a pitch trying to find better snow-pack, and as ever looks flat, that slide from the top of Pic Blanc would not have travelled that far if it was only 20%.

Looking forward possibly one cold freeze of a night and then, unfortunately, little signs of any new snow and more warm temps.

Also will be interesting to see from next week how the schools being closed will affect how busy it will be or not up the hill with locals?
snow conditions
Point skis straight and go. Turning overrated snowHead
snow report
As most will know, Serre Che is now closed for the rest of the season.

Was a pretty crazy evening with a few in tears and people partying hard, luckily we left as it closed just after midnight, but difficille this morning Laughing

Went with a friend to Riquet sports to look at touring boots, they were initially closed for sales, only open for return of rental gear, but he said he had cash, anyway net result they would not give him any discount on the boots or any incentive, quite bizarre.

Managed to talk the OH into a ski tour up the closed pistes as she's nursing a calf injury and it was quite superb.

The untracked corduroy at Noon, unlike the early morning pistes which we skied yesterday which were hard on the knees, had cooked to perfection and was so much easier for the dogs to keep up Laughing

So more of the same, please Cool

http://youtube.com/v/014ereTv--M
ski holidays
@Weathercam, looks lovely, not jealous at all.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy