Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2019 - 2020 and associated areas

Poster: A snowHead
@MogulMonkey, we were on the pistes but obvs not at the same tine as @weathercam. Hubby does a good job or reserving them
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, no real surprise in that the Avy risk after all that wind has gone to 4.

I see that Cibouit is still scheduled to open for today, so they must be doing a lot of control there.

I was going to do a little safe wander ski tour from Le Casset but will opt for the skinny XC skis as dogs need some action.

Then ski tour tomorrow and or keep an eye on Yret to see if that opens, decisions, decisions Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam. There was lots of AV control going on this morning up here. Cibouit opened about 10.30, just as we got to the top of Bachas, as did Eychauda and then Cucumelle. Lots of blasting still going on at top of Yret by the sounds of things. Snow in the trees back down to Monetier was knee deep and not wind affected, but heavy as we got lower down and the pistes were a bit lumpy. Not many people out though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was an astounding avalanche just below Roche Gauthier (near the top of the old Balme chair and the hike above that) on Thursday.

And I took this shot yesterday.

At one point after lunch it was snowing quite heavily at around 2,000m but that turned to rain as we skied back down to the valley.

Have a daughter and friends out for a long weekend and weather does not look at all good for tomorrow.

Best option that we can hope for is first lifts before the rain really kicks in as the freezing level is forecast to be around 2,800 Crying or Very sad

Then a return to colder weather and snow flurries on Tuesday.

Last quiet week before the High Season holidays, though today seemed busy with French weekenders but still very quiet in places.

Pistes still in first-class condition !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Today was definitely about getting up early and following the viz until the rain came in

Then an early good lunch with @Hells Bells, and Mr Bodangles. The light really got very flat at times in the cloud but it made for some atmospheric views in between
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@leggyblonde, great day out. It was a bit soggy getting back to Monetier and I was glad to hit the treeline.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@leggyblonde, we found some sweet lines this morning Cool

And conditions so much better than forecast.

Then two bars to watch each half of Le Crunch, all good stuff, and the Genepi was flowing after the result Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, sod the rugby, I wanted to watch the CX worlds!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well it's not too good out there today!

In hindsight, the conditions of yesterday which we were all dreading were actually quite good!

Temps overnight did not drop below 5 degrees and it's howling this morning and temps are 11 degrees already and it's like we can actually see the snow disappear/melt on the patio, where we placed two bottles in the snow last evening they are now on top of the snow!

And needless to say not too many lifts are open.

Tomorrow looks worse with even stronger winds and snow flurries all day and Wednesday still windy rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It could be worse. You could be in Morzine where it has been raining, almost continuously, for 48hours! The lower slopes have been going green before our eyes. The only saving grace is they should all go white again over the next couple of days!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, crazily busy up in Monetier. Ski testing and link and top lifts closed. Queues massive. Coffee time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@zzz, yes I've been looking at some of the posts in the Morzine thread, sounded pretty grim.

The guy out for a long weekend cutting his losses and going back early!!

I might actually do nothing today Shocked

Or maybe start getting my gear together for Japan, well one does need a "ski holiday" Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It’s so bad I’m going out for a run!

Japan, it’s important to take a break from the ski season Wink
I’m a bit jealous but have an end of season trip to the Langen Alps booked so can’t really complain.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zzz, presume you mean Lyngen Alps ?

https://www.stylealtitude.com/summit-to-sea.html

One of our group. Philou Buch, a popular French guide born in Briancon and working out of La Grave, joined us to make up the numbers. Apart from taking more photos than any of us tourists, he was just in awe of the mountains dropping into the sea and on the final day, hiking to the summit, exclaimed to us that if we were seeking anywhere in the world to better this then we might as well give up now. This is from someone who has the Ecrins Massif on his doorstep.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Weathercam,

Yes, damn spell check.

Looks like you know it well.
ski holidays
Well today was an adventure! We started off in Monetier waiting for Bachas to open and it eventually did at 9.45. Pretty big queues and crowds meant we sacked it off and got the bus to Chantemerle where more was open. More queues later and we made it over to the Prorel to get a bit of spring snow before it got slushy.

More and more lifts closed so we stayed high where the pistes were good fun and getting very empty. Made it to the bottom by 3pm for a well earned shower before the sleeper train tonight. Back in March for the SOPiB!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 4-02-20 9:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@leggyblonde, we were outside the Halte at Monetier for about 30 minutes, the queues were huge, so we had a coffee and waited to see what happened but they just got worse, and the queue for the bus was enormous too. I could see more and more lifts closing on my phone app, so we gave up and did the 'essential' jobs today. Have a good trip back and see you in March.
latest report
More of the same by all accounts.

And this time round gondola up from Chantemerle is closed so only the Bletonet chair and massive queues there.

Plus windchill lot colder.

And no sign of snow flurries, as lovely blue sky!
snow conditions
@Weathercam, not a thing open up here either. Bachas might now be open, as I've just seen some skiers coming down, although they were a group of 20 or so and now nothing. Wind is howling, and everything very icy. Might have to find something else to do (again). There's supposed to be another day of ski testing, but with little to test them on. Pedestrian trail up to Le Casset is seriously icy too.
snow report
Still sunny and windy, but there are now the promised snow flurries. Bachas has finally opened but no sign of any action at the top lifts.
snow conditions
Serre Che's website wasn't working this morning, overloaded with people trying to see what lifts were open, working now people have either gone up or given up!
snow report
OH just back from waking dogs and says everywhere is treacherous.

If it's not solid ice, it's a devious crust that you then sink through nigh on breaking your knee.

She said even with 10cm of fresh in top she wouldn't go out!
latest report
Col du Lauteret closed until 12h tomorrow.
snow conditions
I skied around bachas today until 3..not for the faint hearted and defo needed your edges doing last night having said that the ski testers were still blasting down anything without a care in the world.. done 3 days around bachas and the pommel.. not sure if I can’t do another day although I always say overnight conditions change any piste..hopefully things will get better for the next 3 days after this afternoons dusting.
snow conditions
Top lifts still seem to be closed in Monetier, but there does seem to me more open elsewhere. Today was always going to be a short one, as we've got dogs to take to vets and packing up to do. Always more when it is your own place, and rented out for next 3 weeks solid.
snow conditions
@MogulMonkey, chapeau !!!!!

Think I might get to actually do a week of nothing Laughing

Sounds/looks like wind is easing ?
snow report
First day that top lifts are open this week after the recent strong winds.

Lower pistes due to the high traffic levels are very hard/icy. Bottom section of Luc was closed yesterday because of this.

I know of someone who has given up and gone home because of the conditions not being favourable for his knees.

And conditions finally alright for the Medical Corps Cross Country who I saw were busy waxing their skis.

Though had a mate up for drinks who has a number of apartments with the army having stayed and his main drain was blocked, and the culprit ski wax!!

So they must have been tuning the skis in the apartment and throwing the shavings down the loo!

We're just back in from walking the dogs and at times we were so timid walking down the truly treacherous ice in places, mainly because we didn't want to prang ourselves as we're out of here shortly.

The good news is that there looks to be snow for next week on at least 2-3 days hopefully.

Think we return for a few days around the 18th.
ski holidays
Looking forward to heading over on Monday for my annual ski trip (first time in Serre Chevalier)! This thread has been great (and has been helping get me excited!). How are conditions at the moment? I see it's going to warm up a fair bit next week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Brownfish, have a wonderful trip. It is a special place. snowHead
ski holidays
Just had an email from the lift company to say Serre-Chevalier is joining in with the lift strikes, Briancon will be closed until 10 and the other areas will only operate the lower lifts until 10, then there will be a gradual re-opening.........
snow conditions
I see it's starting to look very warm! Hoping that there is a little bit of snow left at the bottom... My girlfriend is taking beginner lessons with Ski Connections next week, will she be doing this on grass?! (also for me, what is the snow like further up, getting hard I would imagine?)
latest report
One random other question (kind of linked to snow conditions...ish)

On the piste map a load of the runs (of different colours) seem to have "bubbles" on. Why would this be? I hadn't noticed these on a map before!
snow report
@Lewischelt, they denote snow cannons. Alos, all the lift are open and the webcams show plenty of snow cover so you should be fine
latest report
Pistes are a little hard later in the day once the fresher groomed snow has been skied off. But lots of snow cover for all levels of skier across the mountain on piste. Good choice of ski school - Ski Connections are excellent in my experience and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them with most of their instructors speaking fluent English.
Enjoy your week.
snow conditions
Ahhhh thank you both for that information, that was really confusing me! Plenty of snow cannons around then!

Thanks for the positive feedback on SC (and the resort generally), it sounds like the perfect place to intro her to skiing, fingers crossed!
ski holidays
@Lewischelt, plenty of nursery slope options at the mid-stations, so grass shouldn't be an issue.
snow report
Lewischelt wrote:
I see it's starting to look very warm! Hoping that there is a little bit of snow left at the bottom... My girlfriend is taking beginner lessons with Ski Connections next week, will she be doing this on grass?! (also for me, what is the snow like further up, getting hard I would imagine?)

We are here now, and the children in our party (all 7), my friend, my sister and partner are all having lessons with ski connections. Universal positive feedback on lessons.

Yes it’s getting bit slushy on the green run down to Chantemerle but other than that the conditions are much better than I expected given how little recent snow there has been.
snow report
Long time no post about conditions here.

We're back from Japan now, and whilst we've been away a friend has been staying here looking after the dogs and in High Season he's a photographer for one of the ski schools.

He says snow still great on piste but very hard noon onwards as the nice corduroy gets scraped off as you'd expect.

Looks like it's busy in resort and the Luc and Casse had hordes skiing down them from what I could see.

What's now of interest is the predicted snow-fall for next week and onwards, this would be great if it happens, and as ever it's way to early to be sure, but as we're returning to the UK 27th Feb I'd bet it will Laughing

And then for the following week, that will be of interest to many SH's out for the Off-Piste bash and could not come at a better time as the off-piste (if you're not touring for spring-snow) is dire currently.

I have not looked at the synoptic charts but that reeks of a Retour D'Est.

latest report
Good news in that the forecast above has not disappeared completely and it looks like March is the new January!

Currently, we've been enduring temps 20+ in the sunshine on the patio, so I've been out with the bike and in shorts up to the Lautaret, but that's more to do with a knackered knee at the moment.

Hordes are here en masse this week so if we get that snow, should be chaos on the roads as people try to drive to their ski lessons etc

We're out of here again as the snow arrives going back to the UK and then returning to Pila for the SIGB Ski Test so @KenX, will have a fun playground from the looks of things and hopefully, the snow for the next ten or so days will lay a good base down off-piste which is badly needed.

@KenX,
ski holidays
Was up today and it's full-on spring snow conditions at the moment, off-piste really nice and creamy with the pistes covered in slush bumps! Plenty of base everywhere, so when the snow comes it should be nickel Very Happy
What isn't so nice are the insane lift lines, even over lunchtime when I went up Mad
Luckily my season pass has the &joy app built in, which means I can go down a separate corridor to the head of the queue, even beating the ski school lane Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy