Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski gear brand is good quality?

Poster: A snowHead
I should replace my ski jacket.........someone sent an email round with pics from Morgins 2002 and I had it then - eek !

Thing is, I haven't resisted for reasons of tightness, this Columbia Titanium jacket and trousers combo were really expensive for a reason - and and I just have not found anything since that has the features I really like (it has a great piste map pocket on the outside, its a 3 in 1 which means I can zip out the fleece and wash it, great inner pockets and has good protection areas exactly where they are needed.

To be honest both jacket and trousers are still in great condition, but I think it might be time Very Happy

I dont understand why so many jackets - even from decent manufaturers - are down filled, that just doesnt compute to me.

Any suggestions welcome !

Budget not really an issue, but features most definitely are. Can one even buy a 3 in 1 these days ?????
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you get more or less what you pay for.

It is a given that people on social media take the p1ss out of Kjus (because all the posers wear it) but it is excellent stuff. I have a Kjus jacket and I can wear it with just one layer underneath (one of the 100 quid very stretchy "bionic" tops; that's another excellent product with a wide temperature range) between about -15C and +anything where you still have snow. Below -15C I wear a merino wool top also. Superbly windproof and breathable. So just 3 items on top and I've been down to -25C, with my fingers dropping off (that's another story; probably the only solution is mittens, say 100 quid, and the 4 euro heating pads inside).

The bad news is the price. But shop around. I saw mine at a shop in Zermatt for 1600 Swiss Francs! In the UK, Snow & Rock (yeah another p1sstake target on ski forums) had it for 700 quid. I bought mine 3 years ago from a German mail order shop for 350 euros! All these look exactly the same, down to the last detail, so they seem to be the same year's model.

Salomon stuff is also good.

Better to pay more and end up with a small range of clothing which works over a wide temperature range.

No different to general outdoors really. The cheap stuff is junk; sweaty and either too hot or too cold, and you need a collection of stuff to wear underneath it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@GreenDay, is it still water resistant? If so, why change? I'd still be wearing my 2000 vintage Mountain Hardwear shell if it hadn't fallen apart at the seams, literally.

Sometimes price is a good indicator. Mrs U had an Arc'teryx shell that started to wear badly in the weirdest of places. I.e. not normal wear and tear. So 5 seasons in (=60ish ski days) she took it back in. They couldn't repair for free as they don't use that fabric any more (they would probably just have replaced for free as that's what I hear they usually do) so they offered a new jacket more or less the same, ticket price €700 ... for €150.

We both have Marmot GTX pants that have now done maybe 5 or 6 seasons and more or less look like new.

Mid-summer the local Norrona shop was offering a no-questions-asked free repair service.

Why would you want a 3 in one anyway? Just layer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh and if DHL actually make the effort to deliver, I have a Stellar shell arriving today ... will post immediate thoughts if it fits.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow! Thanks everyone Smile I went for an Arc'teryx jacket and Spyder pants. Good to know Arc'teryx do repairs!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
Oh and if DHL actually make the effort to deliver, I have a Stellar shell arriving today ... will post immediate thoughts if it fits.

Which one did you go for? I managed to talk myself out of buying one of the new 'Free Shell' jackets earlier in the week, but that could change!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@GreenDay, is it still water resistant? If so, why change? I'd still be wearing my 2000 vintage Mountain Hardwear shell if it hadn't fallen apart at the seams, literally.

Why would you want a 3 in one anyway? Just layer.

Yep, I have washed and proofed a few times and still working a treat.

Fair point re a 3 in 1, shell and layer is what I do for walking anyway.

Might just keep the cash for something else !!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GreenDay, I would ...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Tom Doc, Just the standard "Shell" - as I am very colour specific and somewhat preferring a slimmer fit. I did accost two perfect strangers in the street last year who were apporting them to ask the opinion and they were enthusiastically positive.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@The Lady Vanishes
I don't think owning the fancy kit is as good as shopping for it.
For us guys its easy .. just pick out the most expensive ...
such as ArcyteTyrx and Narrona
The main reason to go for this stuff is it has the recognised brand that you have loads of Wonga and have ski cred. But is it stylish ? Does it look good? I don't think its any better than lesser brands.

I think for a Lady you need to find something that makes you look good and feel good.
Both on the slopes and apres.

I think that ski gear was a lot more flattering 30 years ago when figure hugging racing style ski pants that flared over the boots was de rigueur. Now the kit seems to be more of a technical nature which may keep you warmer ..but it ain't so sexy Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DrLawn, no. really. no.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn wrote:
@The Lady Vanishes

I think that ski gear was a lot more flattering 30 years ago when figure hugging racing style ski pants that flared over the boots was de rigueur. Now the kit seems to be more of a technical nature which may keep you warmer ..but it ain't so sexy Evil or Very Mad

That was because 30 years ago, one could accessorize properly...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/is-monoskiing-cool-again/

(in answer to the article: er, no?)

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 16-11-19 9:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:

Sometimes price is a good indicator. Mrs U had an Arc'teryx shell that started to wear badly in the weirdest of places. I.e. not normal wear and tear.

I also had an Arc'teryx jacket tearing just after few weeks of use, in the area of the tightening clips. Definitely not worth the money.

Bought the stellar equipment jacket after that (I went to the shop in Åre Sweden, so had a chance to try it on). I am quite happy with it, can't comment on the durability, as it's only been one season. I also like their inner jacket, the synthetic one. Great breathability and warmth - I used this combo in a tricky environment where the top of the mountain was very windy and chilly, while the bottom was warm and calm. Their down stuff seems too warm to me to use it for skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Daedra, exactly where Mrs U had unusual wear! She got 5 seasons out of it so about 300 days and then a new one for € 150. The original was bought in the end of season sale so I think she only paid around €250 for it so all round, excellent value!

DHL failed again on Stellar delivery ...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn wrote:
@The Lady Vanishes
I think for a Lady you need to find something that makes you look good and feel good.
Both on the slopes and apres.

HAHAHA Unless you have curves, or are bigger than a size 14 (I am)

Finding pants that fit me is a nightmare and often results in tears... None ski stuff, I'm a small/regular size 18 (In new look, next, river island etc) but ski pants... I have a pair of Tog24 size 20's that I can wear, a pair of Dare 2b size 20's that fall off me, the same pants in an 18 that I can fasten (go figure) I tried a pair of size 22 Schoffel pants on in tk maxx... couldn't even get them past my knees!!!!

I'd adore something that made me feel good, that didn't make me look like a blimp, but alas, I do not think it's meant to be.
snow report
You can't go wrong regarding price-quality-relation when you buy Decathlon.
Like this one https://www.decathlon.nl/p/donsjas-heren-ski-900-warm/_/R-p-157831?mc=8398218&c=ZWART
PS: I have no affiliation to Decathlon, just a very satisfied customer for many years.
snow report
@The Lady Vanishes

The Ski gear mostly depends upon what type of Skier,Whether you are a Resort skier or backcountry skier.You can get reviews of various ski pants and jackets and choose your choice here..
https://www.outdoorpursuites.com/best-womens-ski-jackets/
snow conditions
Wedze & Quecha outside, St Michael inside.
And for the kids : Rodeo outside and Delamare inside.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy