Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Looking at buying my first set of skis after many years of renting. I usually rent the mid range stuff and to date I've not been attuned to ski brands, styles, models, sizes etc. I have begun researching but am probably more confused now than I was to begin with.
I'm a shorty at 5'7 and I weigh about 72kg. At 47 I'm still very active and would describe myself as fit and strong due to a long term daily weights/cardio regime. I'm an advancing intermediate skier that is probably not technically great due to an absence of lessons. I like to ski most terrain but avoid the really gnarly stuff. I'm from Australia but I ski mainly in the northern hemisphere and I love to ski off trail (and powder) when possible but I suppose the majority of my time is spent on piste. I'm not usually going at it at top speed but like to carve when the conditions are right.
I'm chasing as ski to do it all (aren't we all) but I know that I will sacrifice off trail performance for on trail performance. I do know that I skied a 2018 model Salomon QST92 on a powder day here in Oz recently and I loved it but it didn't feel really connected the following days on hard groomers or ice.
I don't think I want or need a heavy rocket ship style ski like the Blizzard Brahma and the like. Some that I have short listed that may be suitable by review are -
Head Kore 93.
Nordica Navigator 90 (and Enforcer 88 or 93??)
Blizzard Rustler 9.
Blizzard Bushwacker.
Salomon xdr 88.
Rossi Experience 88.
K2 Pinnacle 88.

It's really hard for me to demo skis being from sub tropical Brisbane. Point me in the right direction please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are in a very similar position to me. I’m a bit taller but nearly the same weight as you, and I’m looking for the same combination of ski characteristics. I bought one of the ex-demo Blizzard Rustler 9’s from Spyderjon, and am hoping that works well for me. I wanted something which was a softer and somewhat floatier version of the Brahma.

I really debated the Rustler 10 or similarly 100mm ski. But the truth is I really enjoy my current carving skis and I don’t get off piste in powder enough (yet!) to sacrifice fun on piste. Spyderjon thought that at my weight, the Rustler 9’s would be floaty enough and I’m hoping he’s right about that.

Have you looked at the Ski Essentials round up of 90mm all mountain skis? I found that really helpful.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
diaphon wrote:
You are in a very similar position to me. I’m a bit taller but nearly the same weight as you, and I’m looking for the same combination of ski characteristics. I bought one of the ex-demo Blizzard Rustler 9’s from Spyderjon, and am hoping that works well for me. I wanted something which was a softer and somewhat floatier version of the Brahma.

I really debated the Rustler 10 or similarly 100mm ski. But the truth is I really enjoy my current carving skis and I don’t get off piste in powder enough (yet!) to sacrifice fun on piste. Spyderjon thought that at my weight, the Rustler 9’s would be floaty enough and I’m hoping he’s right about that.

Have you looked at the Ski Essentials round up of 90mm all mountain skis? I found that really helpful.

I have seen the Ski Essentials articles but they confuse me - so many great sounding skis out there.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Of your list, my suggestion would be the Head Core 93 - as I think it would be easier to manage Off Piste, being light and playful.

I use Scott The Ski, which is also light, playful and easy to manage.

Both the above skis are decent On Piste.

If you want something more Piste Orientated - Head Titan and Atomic Vantage 82Ti
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sbooker, You are the same height and weight as me, but I'm 64. I have the K2 Pinnacle 88ti and absolutely love them.

They are great skis. Good in chopped up lumpy snow because of the large tip rocker and brilliant carvers, according to write ups; I’ve yet to fully master carving. I went for the 170cm. My previous skis were 160cm, but I went longer with these because of the long tip rocker. Surprisingly for 88mm wide skis, the 170cm ones have a turn radius of only 13.5m. They are also very stable at high speeds with no tip chatter.

ekosport have them with bindings for £353. They are reduced in price because they have been superseded this year by the new Mindbender range. So you can pick up some end of line bargains.

https://www.ekosport.co.uk/k2-pinnacle-88-ti-19-tyrolia-attack-11-gw-w-o-brake-solid-black-20-p-M00067378.html

Here's a video review of them.

http://youtube.com/v/ZOwEuyWu5Vw
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kastle FX95HP. You can still get hold of last year's models for around half price, i.e. £500+

Don't know anything about its replacement the FX96 except that it's £765 at Ellis Brigham which is cheap for a new Kastle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy