Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helly Hansen jacket advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quite like the look of the following ski jacket from Tk Max at what looks like quite a good price. I only do on piste skiing and can see from reviews and descriptions that the jacket is more suited for freeriding.
But even its more suited to freeriding, will it still be ok for on piste skiing? I can't quite see anything that would suggest its no good for on-piste but I'm not an expert in such matters.
I also see it's described as a shell but again I have never quite understood the differences between a shell or normal ski jacket. I also cant tell if its a softshell or hardshell but I'm guessing its a hardshell as its supposed to be waterproof?
I also don't really understand why one would have a shell jacket as opposed to a normal jacket? is it to do with layering?

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/sogn-shell-jacket-65568

I've also been looking at this jacket but can't see what the model of the jacket is? Just says Blue & Grey ski jacket. I would like to find more info about it but can't as I don't know the model name. ANyone recognise the model?

https://www.tkmaxx.com/men/activewear/snow+ski/snow+ski-clothing/blue+grey-ski-jacket/p/31193919

Any advice please?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jimmybog,

I think it is this one:

https://paulreader.com.au/product/hhelly-hansen-signal-jacket-graphite-blue/
https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/signal-jacket-65645
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jimmybog, I can't quite understand why
Quote:

suited to freeriding

might suggest not
Quote:

ok for on piste skiing

???
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spoon wrote:
@jimmybog,

I think it is this one:

https://paulreader.com.au/product/hhelly-hansen-signal-jacket-graphite-blue/
https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/signal-jacket-65645

Thanks spoon, yes it looks like the same one. I'll check it out. Apreciate that, thanks again!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jimmybog,

I've had a couple coats with the cheaper Helly Tech 'Protection' waterproof/breathable membrane and they're the best ski coats I've had - very durable, well made, and have kept me comfortable in all kinds of conditions. If that's the Signal jacket, it has the Helly Tech 'Professional' membrane which is meant to be more breathable and more waterproof. I have Sogn bib trousers with the professional membrane and they feel amazing, but I haven't worn them skiing yet.

If it is the Signal, it's an insulated jacket rather than a pure shell. A shell is useful if you are climbing and generating heat, or if you ski in warm/wet conditions. You can layer as appropriate and it gives you more options. However, sometimes an insulated jacket is easier for piste skiing as too many layers can be a faff if you are just pootling about the resort in cold weather. It doesn't really matter either way though - a lot of it is marketing IMO. Looks like a bargain!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jimmybog, I've always liked Helly kit, since using it at the British Antarctic Survey in the 90s. It isn't a big brand, but on a technical level their kit is good and does the job nicely, and it is half the price of Arcteryx, Mammut, etc. I have the Lightning currently, and I'm very happy with it. The Sogn is a hard shell, waterproof, but not excessively insulated. If you prefer to layer up, it's a good choice. If you want a single jacket to wear over nothing more than thermals or a t-shirt, it probably isn't versatile enough unless you run hot anyway. It is still insulated, just not to the extent of a classic jacket.

For the TKMaxx jacket, there is no HH logo on it where I would expect to see one, on the left breast panel or on the upper left sleeve. There is some writing on the lower right sleeve which I'm struggling to read, and a weird rubberised plastic badge thing on the upper right sleeve which looks unlike anything I've seen by Helly. However, the basic design looks like a Helly jacket, so my suspicion is that this is a "special edition" made cheaply for TKMaxx to a lower spec, which is why they haven't put their logo on it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thats great, thanks everyone for your advice. I do get quite hot naturally and more so when exercising. Quite hard to decide what to go for as I never know what the weather will be like when I go skiing. Even in a single week, the weather can go from warm and sunny to cold and snowy. I guess by having the shell and the fact it's quite lightweight, I can take it as well as my current insulated jacket and then I have the option for each day.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The pit vents and of course the main zip give a reasonable level of venting if you find yourself on a bluebird day, but of course the ultimate answer when layering is to remove a layer. That said, I typically have a thermal layer, then a t-shirt, then a microfleece, and then the jacket. That has worked for me from -20 (got cold on the exposed chairlifts) to +15, though when I knew it was going to be warm I left the microfleece behind. I tend to open the vents at about +2, open the front zip halfway as well at +5, and have the front almost fully open at +10 My salopettes have thigh vents for the same reason
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ousekjarr wrote:
@jimmybog,

For the TKMaxx jacket, there is no HH logo on it where I would expect to see one, on the left breast panel or on the upper left sleeve. There is some writing on the lower right sleeve which I'm struggling to read, and a weird rubberised plastic badge thing on the upper right sleeve which looks unlike anything I've seen by Helly. However, the basic design looks like a Helly jacket, so my suspicion is that this is a "special edition" made cheaply for TKMaxx to a lower spec, which is why they haven't put their logo on it.

Well spotted ousekjarr!!

On their site they have a red and grey version which does have the HH logo. Bizzare why the blue one doesn't!!

https://www.tkmaxx.com/men/activewear/snow+ski/snow+ski-clothing/red+grey-ski-jacket/p/31193858
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the red and grey version if I zoom right in and squint a bit the writing on the sleeve starts to look like "HellyTech", which is what I'd expect to see (mine is printed with "HellyTech Professional" in black), but in those colours it apparently doesn't have the upper right arm badge which the blue and grey has. At a guess, this is the original spec and is end of line stock (XXL only), while the blue version is a lower spec made specifically for them - and available in all sizes.

The position of the badge on the blue version corresponds to where the RECCO tag is on my jacket - in mine, it is between the layers so on the outside the only visible clue is a printed RECCO logo on the sleeve.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The two links too the similar blue jackets seem to have different hoods .

One is drop hood with collar the other a severe weather type hood as termed using Arcteryx lingo.

The first collar type suits recreational in my opinion as the hood may not be used alot so the high collar design is better .
When undone the severe type of hood zip can flap in your neck face it depends alot on the actual product as this isnt always the case .

This is the net though and internet pictures can be wrong .

I have Helly Tech XP jacket for sale in grey blue/turquoise zips sz Lrg or XL I will use it if it doesnt sell yet have Arcteryx kit .
Alot of helly gear is under the radar the dual layer merino/synthetic mesh baselayers are unique outside of Scanlands very expensive local brands .
If TKM has those puppys get some .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy