Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Extra Warm Ski Gloves/Mitts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

My husband suffers with Raynauds in his hands and I have some early arthritis in mine (what fun)! The cold is therefore a problem for us both. We both therefore need some extra warm gloves/mitts that won't break the bank. Mitts have been suggested, particularly as you can put those hand warmers inside. Any suggestions on good mitts please that aren't too expensive? Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My wife suffers badly fro Raynaud's and couldn't ski without these https://www.blazewear.com/heated-gloves/x1-liners.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, Thanks so much. I will check them out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you tried the specific Raynaud gloves?
http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/raynauds-disease-and-raynauds-syndrome/SILVGLOVE_L_XL_1PACK.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAsMXBBRD71KWOh6fcjRwSJAC5CNE16jLfTRfop3KDStrSbyCkuZ_4G5HpgmnCmo2nbVNQbhoCoYnw_wcB
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This company do various gloves for your situation.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@meandrew, Thank you! We could wear those inside a pair of mittens and, if necessary, put a hand warmer in between the mitts and those gloves.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not too expensive either Dakine make some pretty good mitts also reasonably priced.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
These have a heat pocket on the back of the glove in the zip compartment
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Dakine_Sequoia_Womens_Ski_Snowboard_Mitts_XS_Mojave-(109342)?Curr=GBP/?keyword=&gclid=CjwKEAiAsMXBBRD71KWOh6fcjRwSJAC5CNE1hJJDG2Muc_Umue5BN7TntyKBCrDr5GTFzpb9rBqzuhoCFNLw_wcB
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.extremepie.com/en-UK/Dakine-Titan-Mens-Ski-Mitts/p3324646.htm?colour=Black&sku=327758&productid=95323&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20API&gclid=CjwKEAiAsMXBBRD71KWOh6fcjRwSJAC5CNE1-rzXgEObvJBQrKzMrHYGsF5zWFEwMsRLC6ugxA7jiBoCT8Xw_wcB
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, Thank you so much. You've been a great help!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As a general rule, I have found that really warm gloves/mitts don't come cheap, unless you are really lucky and stumble across a bargain.

For extra heat, look at Mitts or Lobster Claw.

Brands like Hestra: https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/alpine-pro/35161-army-leather-extreme-mitt-man-woman/560020/

Black Diamond: https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/black-diamond-guide-finger-gloves/?aid=86b4f865f53afd6ec6da933143423de2&pid=10004&cpkey=_mt1qJzTDatl_zr43gxV8zlVoLiFM1Qs3P3pJ4rdPjg&_$ja=tsid:60797|cid:254044867|agid:25884866587|tid:aud-153485732227:pla-146877957187|crid:104604046507|nw:g|rnd:13049261347313414754|dvc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=CImS_qSst9ACFfEK0wod8H4BZQ

Extra heat can come from glove liners, made from a variety of materials like Silk, Merino wool and Polartec fleece.

Failing that, there is heated gloves and hand warmers.

My daughter has Raynauds and successfully uses Hestra Army Leather Heli ski Mitts. https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/alpine-pro/30571-army-leather-heli-ski-man-woman-mitt/100/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
did not know but it seems Hestra produces heated gloves as well:

https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/alpine/30441-power-heater-man-woman-mitt/100/

Edit: Just found a price - not an option for me! Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ilovegreece, No idea of your location but Decathlon do the "tea bag" style hand warmers in bulk boxes. I guess they can be ordered on line. Much cheaper when you buy them like this and they do stay warm most of the day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tried to copy and paste a link in but couldn't get it to work.

All I would say is that they can take a little longer than stated to start warming up . Mrs georgevii puts hers in her boots for half an hour before we go out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ilovegreece, cold hands are one thing, Raynaud's as you know is another. Our experience is that simply having warm gloves is not the answer as once the circulation shuts down, you need active heating as the hands and feet themselves aren't radiating enough heat.

And in my wife's case anyway it doesn't only get triggered by cold hands and feet - a cold environment is enough despite her being properly and seriously wrapped up well.

So for her, heated liners and footbeds are essential.

The Raynaud's gloves above look too thick to go inside ski gloves without making them unwieldy. Silk liners are compact, cheap and effective. Carry a spare pair in case you get wet hands.

The other half uses teh Hestra mittens as above which aren't cheap but last very well - and the ones we have have removable washable liners which can be independently replaced. Which in my case at least has doubled their effective life (I develop very smelly hands!)
snow report
@under a new name, the removable liner also makes them warmer in my experience - after a long even cold day I pull the liners out and dry them on radiators or warmest place I can find, I wouldn't want to put my gloves on a radiator and without circulation they just get very warm without drying them too much. That way first thing in the morning a warm, very dry liner is going on and therefore keeps my hands significantly warmer than warm but very slightly damp gloves from the day before and stops them smelling (also easy to wash the liners after a week on the slopes)
ski holidays
@ilovegreece, there are some heated goids on sale may be of some use
https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/30seven-nov16?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=e-daily_sales.d-20161127.st-UK_EU.m-ALL.a-15_Sales_Sunday%20(1)&utm_content=sale5
ski holidays
Oh and the tea bag things are not really effective enough as they only heat the palms, not the tips of the fingers and toes which are most affected. Need to paynattention that heating elements also extend to furthest extremities.

Many heated gloves we looked at only heat the palms...
snow conditions
Another vote for Blazewear liners.
ski holidays
Looks like the Blazewear ones are the best one you can buy hope you get sorted@ilovegreece,
snow report
I don't know if they will suit or help you or not, but I'm a huge fan of Decathlon's silk gloves - I often find them warm enough to ski in as they are, and they also don't seem to get cold if wet. Designed primarily as a liner/inner glove (though they're not too thick) and very good as such, especially if you want to keep your hands warm whilst taking them out of the main glove (to fiddle with whatever you need to fiddle with, have food & drink, open sacs, use cameras etc). A very good fit too, come in many sizes from kids up to XXL.
Put them on before you leave the room, keep them on till you're back.

Main secondary benefit, though - blinking cheap!. About £4-5 a pair for the kids ones (I have small hands), probably about 5-6 for adults.
ski holidays
@ilovegreece, +1 for the decathlon liner gloves and combined with something like

http://m.needlesports.com/50922/products/rab-womens-flux-wristwarmer-berry.aspx

There are men's versions as well, works well with a good pair of gloves over the top. Most of all keep your gloves dry and if necessary carry a spare pair.
snow report
I have Raynaud’s disease. Do compression gloves underneath normal thermal gloves the best option. I’ve tried just sliver lined gloves from the above links and they were rubbish and a waste of money.

Update: I decided to buy a pair of these compression gloves I found on google from NuovaHealth which have proven to be a lot betetr than the siliver gloves I bought. The compression they give my hands really helps and I havnt had a Raynaud’s episode since wearing them!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 14-11-19 14:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Snowwer, my wife does too. She finds nothing works other than the electric heaters. Blazewear the best ones we've found so far.

https://www.blazewear.com/our-gear/gloves/active-glove-liners-black
ski holidays
I do not wish to be a scare monger, but those of you have, or who's partners have Raynaud's, get your GP to test for Systemic Sclerosis (aka Scleroderma). My wife suffered from Raynaud's, luckily our GP's special interest was Rheumatology. He tested her for Systemic Sclerosis and unfortunately it was positive. Systemic Sclerosis normally first manifests itself as Raynaud's. Of course, only a very very small percentage of people who display Raynaud's will have Systemic Sclerosis. The vast majority will just have Raynaud's and Systemic Sclerosis is not a common disease.

Systemic Sclerosis mainly (but not exclusively) effects middle aged women. They have no idea what causes it and there is no cure, only management of the symptoms. My wife was lucky that our GP tested for it as early as he did, so they started managing it at an early stage.

As I said, I do not wish to be a scare monger.
snow report
@Snowwer, I know @K rom this forum has Raynauds as well - IIRC she uses Hestra Heli mitts with four-finger woolen inner liners, and keeps pair of silk liner gloves to wear under those in case it gets bad
snow conditions
Tea bag warmers should go on back of hands closer to blood vessels etc, that's why lots of gloves have little pockets on them
ski holidays
Another vote for the blazewear liners. They are the only thing that keeps my hands warm.

I have some really expensive reusch GTX mitts (I believed the hype) and on cold days , I still need the liners on...

Note though , in really cold conditions (say below -15C) the cold can badly affect the battery life ....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sheffskibod, The Mrs has 3 sets of batteries and two chargers, essential on cold (and/or) long days. She has to wash salad in summer in warm water...

If it's really, truly Raynaud's, then all the glove insulation in the world won't help. You need active heating, to the fingertips.

I think (personally, I am not a vet or Dr) that it's something to do with the mammalian diving response. I think it's having a slightly cold nose and/or ears that triggers the arterial shut down.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@sheffskibod, The Mrs has 3 sets of batteries and two chargers, essential on cold (and/or) long days. She has to wash salad in summer in warm water...

If it's really, truly Raynaud's, then all the glove insulation in the world won't help. You need active heating, to the fingertips.

I think (personally, I am not a vet or Dr) that it's something to do with the mammalian diving response. I think it's having a slightly cold nose and/or ears that triggers the arterial shut down.

I have two sets of batteries and charge them both up night before. I take both sets out .
I tend to switch them on only when I start to feel my hands getting cold or am about to get on a long chair for example. ...its a balancing act to make them last all day.
They only failed in an Xmas trip to La Rosiere when it was -15C air temp at the top and windchill much lower.

Definitely Raynauds (albeit never had it officially diagnosed rolling eyes ) . I can be warm in the body but my fingers are white and numb at the ends and totally cold.
And when they do thaw out it is excruciatingly painful.

I am tempted to get some bigger mits to wear them under though , they are a bit tight under my current ones.
Hear good things about Black Diamond Mercury mitts and they are not too expensive either.
latest report
Check Decathlon, we have "over" gloves which you simply pop on in extreme conditions or if the hands start to cry.
A friend bought them as presents so I'm not sure what price they are or if they are still available.
It may be a cost effective solution.
latest report
@sheffskibod, Mrs U has mens' Hestras - mitts for Dec/Jan/Feb, gloves for Spring - as the mens' glove cuffs accommodate the batteries under the gauntlet cuff, where as the womens' are two narrow.

She switches on as she leaves the house...

Definitely Raynaud's you have.
snow report
I suffer from cold hands, thankfully not Raynauds.
I use hand warmers and I keep them overnight in a ziplock bag with all the air squeezed out, they then last me two days.
The heat is evidently a chemical reaction that requires air to make it work.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy