Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Servicing new skis.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got some new skis delivered for dedicated piste use. I know that many will ski straight out of the wrapper, but as I have a day off work I thought I'd service them first. Base edges I'm keeping the 1 deg angle, so they only needed a polish with diamond stones. Took out the striations left by the machine grind.

Out of the wrapper the edges weren't removing fingernail at all. I read on syderjons site that they came with 1,1 angles, and I like 1,3 for piste so I removed some sidewall and reset, then polished the side edges. Now they take fingernail off!! Yes I did remove a small hanging bur. The treated ski versus the none treated look totally different now, one a nice polished edge, the other machine marks all over.

Then some base prep. As I'm likely to ski these in a fridge before our trip I started with a hot scrape with some renew wax, then a layer of renew, then some hard wax I found at the bottom of the box. I shall retreat the bases with renew then layer up some zoom before going away. I know they come with a bit of factory way, but the hot scrapes didn't half remove some black debris! Got to start the wax then wait process on the other ski next.

I enjoy the technical and manual side of this, and realise it's not for everyone, but it's a therapeutic way to pass an evening or 2 . Also helps that mrs endo is away and doesn't nag at me for fixing my plank of wood workbench to the kitchen worktop.

Will be first trip I've done with two pairs of skis, so a bit less work needed on them while away as well. Quick Zardoz and a diamond stone and should be good.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bizarrely, I really enjoyed reading about your ski prep. I probably need to get out more. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T'is the season for a bit of skirotica...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does anyone happen to know of anywhere in the South East that does ski servicing lessons? I'd love to prep my own skis but I'm a bit scared to do it without having someone show me how first. I mean I know I can read up and watch videos online but I'd love a bit of practical tuition first.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've read and watched a lot of vids on servicing, some that are very tedious and go on forever. This one I found pretty decent , but I don't know anything about the wax used here, and I do leave mine a few hours to cool before scraping. Of course lots of good info at https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/1-tuning-advice/tuning-guide.html, and that is where my kit has come from. I have 7 pairs to service between the lot of us so makes sense to DIY.

http://youtube.com/v/pmNdgS5vNzA
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways, words fail me.

@wills_h, Spyderjon at the Piste Office is your man if you can get to Nottingham. I thought I already knew how to service my skis, but after seeing 5 minutes of a lesson he was doing with another customer, I can see that there's a lot more to know.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A guy is in Essex that spyderjon knows I dont know if he is still going gbskiservicing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
endoman wrote:
nag at me for fixing my plank of wood workbench to the kitchen worktop.

Glad I'm not the only one!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tom Doc wrote:
endoman wrote:
nag at me for fixing my plank of wood workbench to the kitchen worktop.

Glad I'm not the only one!

All tidied away now, I have roll of old carpet to catch wax scrapings as well so she'll never know I've been there, except it's now tidier than before.....

One day I'll get round to tidying out the garage and making a dedicated space in there for servicing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I set up a servicing bench in my garage this year. It’s great, I’ve got a beer fridge a stereo and a laptop in there
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hang11, Have you left enough room for the skis?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wills_h wrote:
Does anyone happen to know of anywhere in the South East that does ski servicing lessons? I'd love to prep my own skis but I'm a bit scared to do it without having someone show me how first. I mean I know I can read up and watch videos online but I'd love a bit of practical tuition first.

Try @glencharman also on here and at Power to Edge

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=129925
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
esaw1 wrote:
@hang11, Have you left enough room for the skis?

New Zealand. Three car garages are a thing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy