Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This guy is going to struggle

Poster: A snowHead
Screen grab from Bellevarde web cam today, on the way to table (god help him). Nice touring skis, not a clue about how to carry them. Will one of his mates point it out to him?

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is he not using one of the many gadgets which claim to make it simple to carry your skis without having to use your hands? Either that or he's being a clever dick - but having recently discovered what sharp edges can do to human flesh I wouldn't recommend it, and his jacket is likely to be shredded in the process
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like his skis are attached to his front, at the bottom of the rib cage. Wouldn't like to slip & land face first carrying skis like that - it'd hurt & be a bug to get back up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
He/She's got them lodged on the inside of the straps of his rucksack at the front hasn't he..?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is the lift broken ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Legend., looks like between his backpack and back to me. It's just all kinds of wrong as pointed out above. Can't believe his mates have let him set off like that, he's a liability to himself and his pals.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does he have any mates?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I should imagine that either his skis are too wide for his pack’s carrying system or his pack has no carry system. Either way he’s using his imagination to solve the problem by putting his skis through the shoulder straps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gordyjh, that's what I thought or he ended up on the next bubble or went for a wee wee and all his mates were already loaded up when he came out of the station so just did that to not hold them up.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some Dakine backpacks have a horizontal snowboard carry system. He might have got a bit mixed up
https://images.app.goo.gl/1vo8oYpeNnBzhJFS8
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As mentioned, most likely either backpack doesn’t have a carry system or ski are too wide. They must be in for a long steep walk, otherwise you would just shoulder them.

Of course they might be completely unrelated to the other 4 who appear to be properly equipped.

As for not having a clue, I was on a dedicated backcountry tour in Japan last season, and one of the guys put his skins on backwards, and tried to skin uphill. Even allowing for the fact that the skis and skins were rental, it takes certain lack of awareness to do that Shocked
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"Carrying system"? I've always called them hands....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone else disappointed that - in true snowHead tradition - the person in question hasn't come onto the thread to defend themselves?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like a dragonfly
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@red 27, what you can’t see from this angle is I was struggling to get my mascara just right.
snow conditions
@PowderAdict, the ski's aren't too wide for any carry system, they're 90mm black crowe orbs. Doesn't look like there is a carry system on his backpack, which means there won't be an internal system for shovel and probe either. Not a deal breaker but far from ideal. The boots look like tourers judging from the orange sole, so my guess is it's rented touring kit, but neglected to get himself a proper backpack, and hitched a ride with a decent looking crew. The hike up to Table is 20-30 minutes and no steeper than the picture, and not rocky or difficult anywhere so on the shoulder would be far preferable to the pickle he's got himself into. I certainly wouldn't like to be in front of him in a couloir.
latest report
@Dr John, you don't need a special backpack to carry a shovel and probe, in fact it makes s*** all difference.

This thread is a beautiful example of judging a book by the cover, making all kinds of assumptions from one grainy snapshot.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, But it's a fun game, isn't it?
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, it does make some difference, when you need to get probe and shovel out in a hurry it's good to know exactly where they are, pointing up the right way and in their own compartment. There a very good reasons backpacks are designed like they are. But as I said, not a deal breaker. The lack of carry straps is a far larger oversight.
ski holidays
Quote:

This thread is a beautiful example of judging a book by the cover, making all kinds of assumptions from one grainy snapshot.

Tend to agree.
I've skied with a UIAGM guide who has sometimes stashes his skis (in a slightly different way) between his rucsac and his back.
I can see some people here making a fool of themselves in a lift queue calling him out on it Very Happy

As for special compartments for shovel and probe - I don't think they make much difference vs a sensibly packed rucsac and I'd say most people hut to hut touring wouldn't have a special compartment on their sacks.
latest report
Dr John wrote:
...it does make some difference, when you need to get probe and shovel out in a hurry it's good to know exactly where they are, pointing up the right way and in their own compartment. ...
My airbag backpack doesn't have the traditional pockets but that's not a problem.

Carrying an ice axe between the backpack and back is definitely a bad idea, I don't think I'd fancy skis there either.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Tend to agree.
I've skied with a UIAGM guide who has sometimes stashes his skis (in a slightly different way) between his rucsac and his back.
I can see some people here making a fool of themselves in a lift queue calling him out on it Very Happy

As for special compartments for shovel and probe - I don't think they make much difference vs a sensibly packed rucsac and I'd say most people hut to hut touring wouldn't have a special compartment on their sacks.

I've seen a guide do this too.
snow conditions
@philwig,
Quote:

Carrying an ice axe between the backpack and back is definitely a bad idea.

This is completely orthodox mountaineering practice - commonly done by most alpinists, particularly if, say coming across a short rock step on a snow ridge.
Lots of guides do it and teach it.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, it does make some difference, when you need to get probe and shovel out in a hurry it's good to know exactly where they are, pointing up the right way and in their own compartment. There a very good reasons backpacks are designed like they are. But as I said, not a deal breaker. The lack of carry straps is a far larger oversight.

Pack your bag properly and it's not an issue at all, especially if that bag has separate pockets anyway. Lack of carry straps isn't an issue either, he's carrying skis and arguably better balanced than his mates as the OG is lower and closer to his natural COG. Possibly not the most sensible, but not strange enough that I think it deserves calling out and sniggering at.
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, arm my friend, arms. He's go no room to move his arms back so can't leverage his poles or use them to balance properly. I guess he'll have cramping shoulders in 10 minutes. And he'll be in a bag load of trouble on a steep rocky traverse (for example on the way to Borsay West, or up to Mikeys where you have to hug the rock line) with the tips scraping along and severely restricting his movement. Hey, I'm no expert but I've done a fair amount of touring and hiking up with many guides and groups and I've never seen that method. Each to their own.

p.s. it's not (just) sniggering, it's an interesting discussion about carrying skis on a hike.

p.p.s. he doesn't seem to be wearing a helmet either, but let's leave that to the other 2000 threads on that particular subject and talk about something different for a change.
latest report
He is only carrying them for his Girl Friend, who is just out of shot , putting on her make up .... Wink
ski holidays
Is the angst over this 'cos he is out skiing and not on the internet. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@prometheus, haha, damn right. I’ll be fixing that on Saturday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dr John, are you the ski carry police?

snow conditions
@Gerry, sniggerer in chief, apparently. That's a lot better than matey boy, but still sucks on a traverse.

Got my new helmet all ready to go

snow report
Outside of my area of expertise, but I would imagine it doesn't work here:

Catching every post on the way past would get a bit tedious, as would moving over to avoid them wink Similarly for those occasions when you might have to walk under a (cornice-free, clearly) cliff on a narrow path to get to the other side (as per the chicken)
ski holidays
@Dr John,
Quote:

And he'll be in a bag load of trouble on a steep rocky traverse

But he isn't on one is he? Who says he would carry them that way if he was?

BTW - the guide who stashed his skis between his back and his rucsac did it diagonally and he only did it as a short term measure to get over a rock band.
latest report
jedster wrote:
... Carrying an ice axe between the backpack and back is definitely a bad idea. ...
This is completely orthodox mountaineering practice - commonly done by most alpinists, particularly if, say coming across a short rock step on a snow ridge.
I'm aware of that
Not as aware of it as my buddy who was carrying an axe that way when he crashed off piste in the alps.
His life changed completely as the axe did its thing on his spine.
snow report
philwig wrote:
I'm aware of that
Not as aware of it as my buddy who was carrying an axe that way when he crashed off piste in the alps.

I'm with you on this.

I watch people clanking around with all their iron mongery and wonder where they are heading, certainly nowhere they can get to from where they are. I suppose they go into SkiTourShop and ask for the full monti and the owner thinks "hmmm I can probably thrown in a 60 euro ice axe made of tin foil along with the other carp I sold them today".

So people clank up hill, down dale, with the point of an axe never more than a fall away from giving them a "walking dead" style head shot.

Yes yes, I too used to carry an axe, I have two very nice ones corroding away in my loft. Now I only take one if I really, really, really need it - like glacier skiing which I tend to avoid anyway.

Going back to the first photo, the guy doesn't seem to be climbing but traversing somewhere, it certainly looks interesting. One can imagine all sorts of silent film moments at the summit.

http://youtube.com/v/LLwVX1WadV4?t=201
snow report
philwig wrote:
jedster wrote:
... Carrying an ice axe between the backpack and back is definitely a bad idea. ...
I'm aware of that

poo-poo - I wouldnt ski with one down there! Didn't realise that was a "thing".
snow conditions
Axe between the body and bag:
Classical position to put the axe if you dont need it, but have a strong incling that you will. Although suggest there are minimal situations for this, but they do exist.
(No point having an axe if you cant reach it when you need it..)

Axe strapped to the outside of the bag
Pointless place to put it (pun intended) as if you crash the spike (which is now point up) might skewer your neck and head

Axe inside the bag
Best place to put it, if you know you don't need it, then when at the base of said rocky summit leave skis at the col and get the axe out.
latest report
davidof wrote:
Going back to the first photo, the guy doesn't seem to be climbing but traversing somewhere,

Nope, he is definitely climbing in that photo - towards the top of Rocher de Bellevarde.
latest report
Bindings pressed into his tummy the whole trip Ouch!!
latest report
@Aftermaths, ????
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy