Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2019-20

Poster: A snowHead
Bluebird morning and loads of powder at Dorfgastein this morning
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also a beautiful day in Mulbach (Hockkoenig area). Lots of powder all the way down to the car park.

Clouded over around 2.30pm, now it’s snowing at our apartment (900m)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Decent up top at Schladming yesterday but didn't venture below mid mountain, which I suspect would have been a mixture of ice and heavy snow. Raining steadily in town this morning, hopefully cooler and brighter from tomorrow for a few days.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Proper white Christmas this morning. Heavy snowfall. Zero visibility. Merry Christmas!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone around Zauchensee tomorrow? Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bad gastein and bad Hofgastein where minging today. Snow was good at the top, slush at the bottom and some horrible grippy stuff between the two. Visibility hovered around zero and less that zero when you have to complete cover your face to escape the wind blasted hail.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm glad I didn't venture out then..
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Radstadt was superb, best not to venture too low but brilliant fun at the top.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@primoz, we are there first lift, looks like an epic day
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
4th day of powder, reiteralm, radstadt, zauch and planai. Snowing hard right and into the valley, which is nice. Will be another great powder day tomorrow, have a little tour in mind which will deliver kms of untracked powder. Yum yum
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
can only echo what @waynos, has said. I should imagine the whole of the Ski Amade is in amazing nick right now. I have been skiing really good tree lines today in Radstadt led by @flangesax ( although he did seem to have trouble staying upright today ). Anybody coming in the next few days will be guaranteed great skiing......
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, snowed on Planai and even down in Schladming the whole day, even took a jaunt over to Hauser Kaibling with my son in the afternoon. Too old and boring and frankly unfit to venture off piste but enjoyed plenty of soft stuff on piste (although my legs were shot by 3pm).

Tomorrow looking dull and cold, but hopefully back to blue skies and sunshine on Sunday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great snow again at Dorfgastein today. Snowed all day and very quiet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oooh, rather tasty powder on planai and the hauser today. Love it. It's a powder frenzy free zone.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Busy in Flachau. Light a bit flat and all the snow cannons on all day making it a bit lumpy but nice and cold so in good nick at the bottom.

Notice of avalanche risk everywhere with an instruction not to go off piste
snow report
The sun is out and so is a hoard of skiers. Some of the worst queues I've experienced around shladming and haus. One queue was 25 mins. Also large lumps of man made snow causing hazards on busy piste, saw one accident needing heli pick up at such a lump of manmade. Why didn't they bash these lumps? Apart from the abovr great conditions for playing about with the ankle biters.
latest report
I was at Fargeralm Forstau at 9am - empty perfect pistes. It was busier at about 10.30, but even then, only a gathering of skiers in an un-orderly fashion trying to get on lifts, a few mins at worst! Absolutely the best choice for me! Ange Very Happy
snow report
@flangesax, and us! Was v cold
snow conditions
hi local gurus - are there new year fireworks displays in the region worth going to?
Thanks!
snow conditions
@ma94jcg, every town had some fireworks last year, but it might be a bit more low key this year. People seem more aware of environmental and animal concerns so fewer places are selling fireworks.
ski holidays
@ma94jcg, flachau is mental. Loads of fireworks but lots being set off in the street so you need your wits about you. We just got the usual bulletin from the tourist info to be mindful of the animals in the sheds and not to set off fireworks near them.

Where are you staying?
snow report
We’re staying just outside Forstau, but can drive anywhere in the region. Was wondering if there were any organised displays worth going to (will need to drag out three generations - the grandparents will need convincing as it’s so cold right now!)
ski holidays
@ma94jcg, ah ok. Not worth driving out and waiting till midnight in Flachau. It's not an organised display. Individual hotels set off their own displays
ski holidays
I've seen NYE from just above Schladming several times. Not one big organised display but literally can see 100s of displays in town and on the mountains of mainly Planai and Rohrmoos but also more in the distance Hochwurzen, Reiteralm and Haus. It's one hell of a show, just find a spot outside somewhere overlooking schladming from the south side, going up towards ramsau.
snow report
Bluebird say at Flachauwinkl but busier than i have ever seen it, even in new year week. Grossarl side was unpleasant. Death cookies and rock hard pistes mixed with mounds of snow making. Too many kids straightlining on the narrow family run to the lumberjack chair. Flachauwinkl side was better snow, better pisting and less busy. Lovely run from the top to the main piste to the winkelalm which was then very lumpy. The run down to the valley was hideous.... I downloaded to go home. Best run of the day was the family run through the trees...quiet and scenic.
ski holidays
Busy day in Flachau today, looked like a lot of day trippers and weekenders drawn by the fresh snow.

Low visibility first thing above 1500m and softer conditions low down in the morning sun, but with 10cm of fresh on the pistes it was fun until the mounds grew.

StarJet is now being prepared for the night slalom, even though it is a week away, so is down to 1/3rd width while they build the rest up with snow cannons and a water spray
snow report
Drove back to the UK yesterday after a fabulous 2 week trip (13 days continuous skiing) in Ski Amade, made possible by the Super Ski pass.

I'll try to post some of my own views of the merits of the different ski areas, but for those interested we packed in days (sometimes with repeat visits) at Zauchensee, Flachau/Wagrain, Hochkonig, Radstadt, Schladming-Dachstein, Forstau, Dachstein West and Zell am See. We also included trips up the Dachstein Glacier, Hallstatt salt mine, Mandlberggut distilliary and Salzburg town.

Having never stayed so long in the Alps, one thing that captivated me is the variability of the weather during our stay - a complete mix of days that were cold and dry, warm and dry, wet (rain/sleet at the valley station) and very cold and snowy. Plus all of the different ski conditions that go with this variability. A real treat! (I particularly enjoyed bombing around in my XC90 with winter tyres on Christmas day in the snow snowHead )

PS thanks to @RedandWhiteFlachau, @Scarpa, @queenie pretty please and @holidayloverxx for help with questions whilst we were away. The whole family (including the grandparents) had a great time.
latest report
Hi Folks, early stages of planning a March trip... I know a lot can happen between now and then but how would the Amade regulars rate the conditions at this point of the season? Will be based in Gastein
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't speak for Gastein but Schladming / Zauchansee way March can be the best month of the season, deepest base, still get plenty of fresh snowfalls. It is spring so warmer periods will mean slush lower down but piste always stay open to valley in March. Also post Feb is pretty quiet.
snow report
Just booked a last minute solo to Flachau hoping to get there for 9ish on 11 Jan, and hoping to catch the world cup before I "try" to emulate the same for rest of the week. rolling eyes First time in this area, so just wondering if anyone knows how crowded the Highport to Zauch is on that day. Is anyone there considering going over, would you be happy for a tag-along-tim, that is intermediate/advanced
latest report
Hi all,

looking for a quick bit of advice, group of us heading to Bad Hofgastein start of March for a week.... In other resorts I normally try to use local ski hire company and avoid the large chains. It seems options at schlossalmbahn are inter sport and sports 2000. We most likely wont finish every day at schlossalm so locker access is not a major factor for us.
Has anyone any recommendations for ski hire in Bad Hofgastein ? I've come across this shop Alpenparks sport based in Alpenparks Residence https://www.skirent-discount.at/en/skirent-discount/ and they seem considerable less expensive.

Any advice greatly welcomed,

Thanks

Landers
ski holidays
@Saj2111, sorry no one appears to have seen your message, you would have been very welcome to tag along, I guess we were all too busy! Hopefully next time we can plan it a bit better!

@landers, cant help you sorry but the new lift is fantastic! Have fun, it is absolutely dumping down here now, a proper whiteout!
snow conditions
@landers, We've used Irausek but that was before the new Schlossalmbahn, so don't know what the current set up is. Think they are members/agents of Sport 2000.
latest report
Thanks Folks, I've heard mixed reviews re sports 2000

We've a month to go but glad they snow is falling for the 700 Irish group who are currently on the piste with the Today Fm Ski trip

If we hire from other than the 2 companies at schlossalm I'll let people know how we get on.
ski holidays
Anywhere in Amade open today?
ski holidays
@robandliza, Flachau is open other than the top two lifts. Everywhere else seems rather limited. The weather is very stormy.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 4-02-20 10:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@robandliza, webcam shows people skiing in Flachau. The resort websites will have lift open status
ski holidays
Thanks. Will have a loooooong brunch I think
latest report
Radstadt was only Gondola to middle station and altenmarkt gondola closed until 09:30. From then onwards everything was open... but quite busy today!

@landers, There are very few fully independent sports shops around here. Normally the franchise of Intersport or Sport 2000 is locally owned. So although the franchise may be a national/international chain, the actual ownership and management of the shop is normally on a local level. I only really know of Hervis as a 'proper' national chain. I'm pretty sure that Sports Direct is also locally franchised.
snow report
Interesting most of flachau seems open and most of gastein resorts are only mittelstation open which is very limited skiing=one or two blue runs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy