Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oldest ski instructor

Poster: A snowHead
The recent post about the 100 year old skier reminded me that when I returned to Obergurgl last season I was amazed to see that an instructor called Albert was still teaching. He taught my kids about 10 years ago and I think he was in his 70s then, so must be in his 80s now. (Though perhaps I misremember. Surely you can't still be teaching at that age?)

Anyway, that started me wondering if he's the oldest operating ski instructor. I'm sure someone will know of some Methuselah of the pistes?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There was an Iranian guy called Guily? teaching in Soldeu for many years, I think into his 80's, sadly, the last I heard, he had advanced Alzheimers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tangowaggon wrote:
There was an Iranian guy called Guily? teaching in Soldeu for many years, I think into his 80's, sadly, the last I heard, he had advanced Alzheimers.

is he still teaching?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Albert, incidentally, is a local who lives a bit further down the Otz valley. He farms his cows during summer and teaches skiing in winter. He is first on the lifts each morning, so he can get in an hour of skiing before starting his lessons.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have no idea how old Ali Ross is but he seems to have been around for ever. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I once got a free copy of the Good Ski Guide, having taken them to task for derogatory comments about elderly instructors, having recently had an excellent private lesson in Les Gets from an elderly-ish Scot.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tangowaggon wrote:

Is he the guy who used to man the slalom course? The other instructors used to wax lyrical abut him and how good a skier he was for his age.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GeorgeVII, somewhere beyond 75 I think. And he still leaves me for dust!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think Ali Ross is around 78, last I knew still going strong. Steve Angus may well see him around EK from time to time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
koru wrote:
Albert, incidentally, is a local who lives a bit further down the Otz valley. He farms his cows during summer and teaches skiing in winter. He is first on the lifts each morning, so he can get in an hour of skiing before starting his lessons.

Has he changed his name? Your description fits "Adolf" - we've both had lessons from him a few years back and Aidan spotted him in Jan 2017. Adolph was born in 1942 or 1943 (Aidan can't remember which) and his son is also a ski instructor.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scamper wrote:
koru wrote:

Has he changed his name? Your description fits "Adolf" - we've both had lessons from him a few years back and Aidan spotted him in Jan 2017. Adolph was born in 1942 or 1943 (Aidan can't remember which) and his son is also a ski instructor.
I've always known him as Albert, so probably not the same person. He often yodels all the way down the mountain!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
koru wrote:
Scamper wrote:
koru wrote:

I've always known him as Albert, so probably not the same person. He often yodels all the way down the mountain!

Good to hear - I would have been saddened to learn that he felt he needed to change his name.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There was a really nice guy who used to teach in Hinterglemm called Andy.

He worked mending shock absorbers in the UK out of season and taught for the ski school in Hinterglemm in the winter.

Last saw him there about 5-6 years ago. He was in his mid-late 60's, Tataman probably knows/knew him.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
About twenty years ago we were in Brandnertal, Austria and Reinhardt was teaching. He was my parents private instructor and in his eighties but so amazingly agile. Skiing really does keep you healthy. He walked them up the top of the mountain, did langlauf and tons of off piste. Sadly I doubt he's still in action.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Handy Turnip wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

Is he the guy who used to man the slalom course? The other instructors used to wax lyrical abut him and how good a skier he was for his age.

That was him!
ski holidays
I remember Gilly in Soldeu in about 1984. He was quite old then. Yes he was Iranian and said in the summer he published books in London. Inspiring instructor - took the top few in each beginners group on an off piste trip on the last day which was brilliant. Loved the mountains.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy